Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
172,981 - 173,000 of 224,604 Comments Last updated 22 min ago

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a bit scattere3d their, lovey.
May I point out you are the one that refers to the Big Bang as the origin and no need for a deity?
I understand science, and I have posted links to the hot singularity at least 3 or 4 times. If and when NASA comes back online after the shutdown you can check their saying the same thing.
Sweetheart, the stuff I have been proposing is straight from mainstream science, just a different perspective. As I have said a few times, and now again, you don't understand what you "know". You learned the words, not what they represent. That wiouldn;t be bad, but then you get on here and bitch at anyone remotely theistic. You have an emotional issue with religion, particularly Christianity, NOT an intellectual and rational one.
Because I refer to the BB as the origin is simply a matter of agreement with the norm, with something that the average joe can relate to, something they have heard of and something that average fundy rants about. It was something universally big and it was a colossal bang (the echoes can still be heard). However there is no definition of what the BB actually was, what created it etc and of course we have seen how the mere mention of different theory sends you into scatty, illogical and ignorant denial. You appear so be saying because we do not know what it was then it must have been a singularity, in exactly the same way as you say we don’t know so goddidit by magic.

http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/videos/what-...

Because you have posted links does not make it so. The very nature of a singularity means that all one can do is theorise.

http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/videos/quant...

What you have been proposing is from old science. Note that I know what I know, unfortunately what you believe you know tends to be confused and fragmented bits of science that make sense to you and that you seem to think is the whole.

Honey the reason I “bitch”(your word) at theism is a direct result of the mockery, abuse, sexism and personality insults that theist have poured on me – including you. You don’t like payback then there is a simple answer, don’t invite it.

I find it amusing that godbots can lie and cheat and abuse and mock to their hearts content but any (and I mean ANY) reciprocation causes an outbreak of whinging self pity.

Actually I have an intellectual problem with some christians in that I have zero tolerance for deliberate ignorance. This in no way means I have a problem with christianity, in exactly the same way as many christian don’t have a problem with my beliefs. However just like a christian (or believer in any other thought experiment), I will defend my beliefs as best I can based on what I know of the there arguments, usually based on the O and NT. If you see using facts to dispel the myth that is christianity then fine, your view is, after all your view.

Because you do not like the fact that others should be given the same privileges of freedom as you do is not my problem

Freedom of expression under you rules is not freedom but dictatorship.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I said hat and you said bat. I say car and you say bar.
I said bold and you say sold.
"Houston we have a problem."
Wrong, bat bar and sold were not in my statement – so you lie, I win…

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
If he wasn't a god - that is, if he didn't do miracles or rise from the dead - then he was just another nice guy who didn't say or do anything remarkable.

What do you think makes Jesus a better man than say my neighbor, who is also a nice guy that would also likely tell you that the Golden Rule is a good rule to live by?

Did Jesus say anything worthwhile that was original?

You could have built the same religion around billions of similar nice guys in history including my neighbor, especially if you could control the stories told about them.
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Your questions just tell me you have issues.
Your evasive answer tells me that you have nothing more substantial than your faith to offer us regarding these very valid questions:

IANS worte: "What do you think makes Jesus a better man than say my neighbor, who is also a nice guy that would also likely tell you that the Golden Rule is a good rule to live by?"

Robert Steven replied: < crickets chirping >

IANS worte: "Did Jesus say anything worthwhile that was original?"

Robert Steven replied: < pin dropping >

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>LOVE is a part of reality. LOVE is a human emotion and can be detected by science just as any other emotion.
Of course LOVE is tangible, you can see how love manifests itself between parents and children, between people, even between people and animals, dogs and cats especially. A parent sacrificing their lives to save their child is a tangible evidence of LOVE.
I repeat, science is the ONLY way in determining whether or not something is true. Do you know of another methodology is making that determination?
You use the term science so loosely. There is something to be said for examining some things, but that is in the strictly physical realm. Like component parts of a car or plant or living creature. You can see how something was put together. If you are really lucky you can directly observe for what purpose such was, and even where the parts came from.

However...

In regards to our existence you aren't going to be that lucky. Our history is a trash heap we have been picking through. There is a lot missed, and a lot of focus on misleading found items. And then, of course, you have the intangible elements of our existence and how it came to be. Lost many years ago and still lost.

On an existential basis, the proof of the pudding is what survives to tell the stories.

As far as mankind and his civilizations go, religious ones have survived the ages, usually evolving. Atheism has died with every generation.

Religion has spawned atheists forever. Atheists are always a reaction to the status quo. There is not one civilization that started out "atheist". And their social movements are always shortlived.

Is that true or not?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2013/10/...

Interesting. Info creates the material. Think I have posted similar some time ago, and something countless others have also thought likely.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I refer to the BB as the origin is simply a matter of agreement with the norm, with something that the average joe can relate to, something they have heard of and something that average fundy rants about. It was something universally big and it was a colossal bang (the echoes can still be heard). However there is no definition of what the BB actually was, what created it etc and of course we have seen how the mere mention of different theory sends you into scatty, illogical and ignorant denial. You appear so be saying because we do not know what it was then it must have been a singularity, in exactly the same way as you say we don’t know so goddidit by magic.
Because you have posted links does not make it so. The very nature of a singularity means that all one can do is theorise.
What you have been proposing is from old science. Note that I know what I know, unfortunately what you believe you know tends to be confused and fragmented bits of science that make sense to you and that you seem to think is the whole.
Honey the reason I “bitch”(your word) at theism is a direct result of the mockery, abuse, sexism and personality insults that theist have poured on me – including you. You don’t like payback then there is a simple answer, don’t invite it.
I find it amusing that godbots can lie and cheat and abuse and mock to their hearts content but any (and I mean ANY) reciprocation causes an outbreak of whinging self pity.
Actually I have an intellectual problem with some christians in that I have zero tolerance for deliberate ignorance. This in no way means I have a problem with christianity, in exactly the same way as many christian don’t have a problem with my beliefs. However just like a christian (or believer in any other thought experiment), I will defend my beliefs as best I can based on what I know of the there arguments, usually based on the O and NT. If you see using facts to dispel the myth that is christianity then fine, your view is, after all your view.
Because you do not like the fact that others should be given the same privileges of freedom as you do is not my problem
Freedom of expression under you rules is not freedom but dictatorship.
Sweetness, you are horribly confused.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You use the term science so loosely. There is something to be said for examining some things, but that is in the strictly physical realm. Like component parts of a car or plant or living creature. You can see how something was put together. If you are really lucky you can directly observe for what purpose such was, and even where the parts came from.
However...
In regards to our existence you aren't going to be that lucky. Our history is a trash heap we have been picking through. There is a lot missed, and a lot of focus on misleading found items. And then, of course, you have the intangible elements of our existence and how it came to be. Lost many years ago and still lost.
On an existential basis, the proof of the pudding is what survives to tell the stories.
As far as mankind and his civilizations go, religious ones have survived the ages, usually evolving. Atheism has died with every generation.
Religion has spawned atheists forever. Atheists are always a reaction to the status quo. There is not one civilization that started out "atheist". And their social movements are always shortlived.
Is that true or not?
Sorry, I refuse to have conversations with the mentally impaired!!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Imhotep wrote:
Merry Christmas to you and family if I do not get back prior to that time.
Gracias igualmente.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, I refuse to have conversations with the mentally impaired!!
I can understand your reluctance to do so. You would have to kick your mind into a higher gear.

Have you tried those energy drinks for short time efforts? Of course it would hurt, but no pain, no gain.

Hey, I ran across this yesterday. You would have been in that MA group. Luckily I had mine in Florida.

http://www.viewzone.com/sv40x.html

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
However...
Is that true or not?
Its astonishing to atheists how Creationists like you can stand by a story invented at a time when most of the world was malnourished, illiterate and diseased?

The world kept slaves at the time, women had no rights and nobody understood where lightening came from.

To elevate this body of ignorance to anything more than a cute story is to be will fully ignorant & totally dishonest.

You would never hope to defend this rubbish with someone face to face because they would never be able to keep a straight face while hearing your outrageous religious lies.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, my dearest lovey, NASA is noe back on line. An excerpt for your edification, or is that education?

"According to the theories of physics, if we were to look at the Universe one second after the Big Bang, what we would see is a 10-billion degree sea of neutrons, protons, electrons, anti-electrons (positrons), photons, and neutrinos. Then, as time went on, we would see the Universe cool, the neutrons either decaying into protons and electrons or combining with protons to make deuterium (an isotope of hydrogen). As it continued to cool, it would eventually reach the temperature where electrons combined with nuclei to form neutral atoms. Before this "recombination" occurred, the Universe would have been opaque because the free electrons would have caused light (photons) to scatter the way sunlight scatters from the water droplets in clouds. But when the free electrons were absorbed to form neutral atoms, the Universe suddenly became transparent. Those same photons - the afterglow of the Big Bang known as cosmic background radiation - can be observed today."

http://science1.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-a...

A seed, sweetie pie. Expanded and then settled down to grow according to a pre-established pattern.

Look up seed imbibtion. There is a temperature increase to start the process.

BTW, neutral matter is a tiny portion of the total matter. Plasma is about 99%. It is the stuff that does the forming, and is quite sensitive to EM.

Now, pick up your cellphone and call someone, triggering a series of events over distance requiring EM to initiate and accomplish such through pre-arranged matter to channel it, and through random movement of matter in the atmosphere. Perhaps the person, or device, on the other end will do what you want. Maybe not.

Sorry, I had to cut some of your rant to make this response.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, my dearest lovey, NASA is noe back on line. An excerpt for your edification, or is that education?
"According to the theories of physics, if we were to look at the Universe one second after the Big Bang, what we would see is a 10-billion degree sea of neutrons, protons, electrons, anti-electrons (positrons), photons, and neutrinos. Then, as time went on, we would see the Universe cool, the neutrons either decaying into protons and electrons or combining with protons to make deuterium (an isotope of hydrogen). As it continued to cool, it would eventually reach the temperature where electrons combined with nuclei to form neutral atoms. Before this "recombination" occurred, the Universe would have been opaque because the free electrons would have caused light (photons) to scatter the way sunlight scatters from the water droplets in clouds. But when the free electrons were absorbed to form neutral atoms, the Universe suddenly became transparent. Those same photons - the afterglow of the Big Bang known as cosmic background radiation - can be observed today."
http://science1.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-a...
A seed, sweetie pie. Expanded and then settled down to grow according to a pre-established pattern.
Look up seed imbibtion. There is a temperature increase to start the process.
BTW, neutral matter is a tiny portion of the total matter. Plasma is about 99%. It is the stuff that does the forming, and is quite sensitive to EM.
Now, pick up your cellphone and call someone, triggering a series of events over distance requiring EM to initiate and accomplish such through pre-arranged matter to channel it, and through random movement of matter in the atmosphere. Perhaps the person, or device, on the other end will do what you want. Maybe not.
Sorry, I had to cut some of your rant to make this response.
Your failing because you're attempting to criticise science. The same science that guts your witless cult every day of the week.

Science is not wrong, its evidence based. Your mental illness prevents you from accepting science, without really understanding that it underpins our understanding of the entire universe.

You cannot critcise science, you may only present evidence for god.

But you won't because science sh*ts on it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Creationists like Dave are fearful of science because it exposes what they already know about their cult - its a shameless lie and there's no god.

This realisation scares a lot of cowardly creationists who grew up brainwashed to believe in this myth.

Its sad that they infected people argue back against science - the very thing that keeps them fed, heated and comfortable in today's age.

Maybe religious liars like Dave are just rebelling against what they cannot control - the REAL god of the earth - the science that is behind everything that keeps them comfortable and alive.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Its astonishing to atheists how Creationists like you can stand by a story invented at a time when most of the world was malnourished, illiterate and diseased?
The world kept slaves at the time, women had no rights and nobody understood where lightening came from.
To elevate this body of ignorance to anything more than a cute story is to be will fully ignorant & totally dishonest.
You would never hope to defend this rubbish with someone face to face because they would never be able to keep a straight face while hearing your outrageous religious lies.
Your sensitivities belie your abilities as a “Troll eater extraordinaire”.

Your digestive system just couldn't handle one. Neither can your intellectual prowess.

I think you are a wannabe. Sitting there bleating away, all naked and lovely.

I dunno. I guess salsa would be better than green chile sauce. Has more substance.

Let me check my fridge and I will get back to you. Don't go away, now.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Your failing because you're attempting to criticise science. The same science that guts your witless cult every day of the week.
Science is not wrong, its evidence based. Your mental illness prevents you from accepting science, without really understanding that it underpins our understanding of the entire universe.
You cannot critcise science, you may only present evidence for god.
But you won't because science sh*ts on it.
Shit!! I'm out of salsa.

Come back in a couple of days.

“lie2menomo”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>LOVE is a part of reality. LOVE is a human emotion and can be detected by science just as any other emotion.
Of course LOVE is tangible, you can see how love manifests itself between parents and children, between people, even between people and animals, dogs and cats especially. A parent sacrificing their lives to save their child is a tangible evidence of LOVE.
I repeat, science is the ONLY way in determining whether or not something is true. Do you know of another methodology is making that determination?
Love is a real feeling it is comparable as a speed of lighting. Just as fast. It is also true for the Holly spirit. I am not going to force my beliefs, I am very sure my life changed once I received the Holly Spirit. It was very important to add I got it from reading the word of the Holy Bible. I understand how people are confused, It is why I believe spiritual and religious facts should be taught in school. It allows the facts and truth from history to inform American children of the many religions, and allow them to have facts be believer or not in spiritual power higher than self.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

movinon09 wrote:
<quoted text>Love is a real feeling it is comparable as a speed of lighting. Just as fast. It is also true for the Holly spirit. I am not going to force my beliefs, I am very sure my life changed once I received the Holly Spirit. It was very important to add I got it from reading the word of the Holy Bible. I understand how people are confused, It is why I believe spiritual and religious facts should be taught in school. It allows the facts and truth from history to inform American children of the many religions, and allow them to have facts be believer or not in spiritual power higher than self.
Which religious...um, "facts"...should be taught in school?

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

movinon09 wrote:
<quoted text>Love is a real feeling it is comparable as a speed of lighting. Just as fast. It is also true for the Holly spirit. I am not going to force my beliefs, I am very sure my life changed once I received the Holly Spirit. It was very important to add I got it from reading the word of the Holy Bible. I understand how people are confused, It is why I believe spiritual and religious facts should be taught in school. It allows the facts and truth from history to inform American children of the many religions, and allow them to have facts be believer or not in spiritual power higher than self.
The have christian schools for that, and honestly if you study up on the status of a graduate of a Christian school you will find that they are not prepared for college unless it is a christian college. They do not follow historical fact when teaching history by any means...as far as actual history goes. I'm sure that your personal experiences have been great for you, and just remember to keep them personal experiences and not something to be forced into everyone's daily life.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
"Of course LOVE is tangible"

"So is God because the Bible says, 1 John 4:16 - And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him."
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
It's in your book dumbass - you should read it sometime!
You're living proof that Snow White and Dopey had unprotected sex. ;)
Reality check time for dumbass Christians:
IS THE BIBLE INSPIRED?
If it is, it should be a book that no man -- no number of men -- could produce.
It should contain the perfection of philosophy.
It should perfectly accord with every fact in nature.
There should be no mistakes in astronomy, geology, or as to any subject or science.
Its morality should be the highest, the purest.
Its laws and regulations for the control of conduct should be just, wise, perfect, and perfectly adapted to the accomplishment of the ends desired.
It should contain nothing calculated to make man cruel, revengeful, vindictive or infamous.
It should be filled with intelligence, justice, purity, honesty, mercy and the spirit of liberty.
It should be opposed to strife and war, to slavery and lust, to ignorance, credulity and superstition.
It should develop the brain and civilize the heart.
It should satisfy the heart and brain of the best and wisest.
It should be true.
QUESTION...???
Does the Old or NewTestament satisfy this standard?
Is there anything in the Bible in history, in theory, in law, in government, in morality, in science, above and beyond the ideas, the beliefs, the customs and prejudices of its authors and the people among whom they lived?
Is there one ray of light from any supernatural source?
NO!
And yet another canned off the shelf answer from an assembly line Atheist.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

441 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min USA Born 533,549
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min GOD 256,961
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 12 min Catcher1 172,543
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 16 min bacon hater 93,838
00971569470225 Body to body massage in Abudhabi 21 min Alice 0563303677 19
GMO foods and you! 32 min andet1987 3
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 34 min thewordofme 722,095
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr ThatOneBand 115,592
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 7 hr reree 86
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••