Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Jul 18, 2009, Webbunny tumblelog story titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#180240 Oct 16, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Pick one ;-)
China, North Korea and part of the Russian Federation. I don't get why you guys try to act like this is not true, but it is noted and why I would never vote for one of you.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180241 Oct 16, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Which ones the perfect one again????? Lol
Stories of God not being perfect are lies. I don't acknowledge them.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180242 Oct 16, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
If he wasn't a god - that is, if he didn't do miracles or rise from the dead - then he was just another nice guy who didn't say or do anything remarkable.
What do you think makes Jesus a better man than say my neighbor, who is also a nice guy that would also likely tell you that the Golden Rule is a good rule to live by?
Did Jesus say anything worthwhile that was original?
You could have built the same religion around billions of similar nice guys in history including my neighbor, especially if you could control the stories told about them.
Your questions just tell me you have issues.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180243 Oct 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in babies.
Fun to make but a challenge to raise, lol.

And ohhhhhh are the costly!

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#180244 Oct 16, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I do believe in an overall God, as well as man made ones. I believe God is not in human form, and is an extraordinary mass of energy. If we came across it, we wouldn't be able to near it, maybe there would be debate on if that mass is God. Most likely people would right that off because they prefer to think of God in a human form. Your peaceful and loving thoughts could make holy water, your thoughts could also power energy and create a spirit. As noted I consider atheism a very bad choice, but you do know yourself and I doubt you made the choice, for any other reason besides you don't have a soul.
As I've said before...Believe what you like, but don't think that you sound any more sane than any other religious person on here. Just sayin. I have nothing to show me or tell me what a soul consists of. As I said before I know what my DNA shows and I know I have a personality, but I cannot believe in a soul or accept that I have a soul until I have something telling me what it even is.

Location hidden

#180245 Oct 16, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Stories of God not being perfect are lies. I don't acknowledge them.
Ahh... so you truly are just like everyone else. You claim to be tolerant, but you tolerate no other story but your own.

Location hidden

#180246 Oct 16, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Your questions just tell me you have issues.
The unanswered questions say that you have no answer or are just rude when it comes to social interaction.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180247 Oct 16, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I do believe in an overall God, as well as man made ones. I believe God is not in human form, and is an extraordinary mass of energy. If we came across it, we wouldn't be able to near it, maybe there would be debate on if that mass is God. Most likely people would right that off because they prefer to think of God in a human form. Your peaceful and loving thoughts could make holy water, your thoughts could also power energy and create a spirit. As noted I consider atheism a very bad choice, but you do know yourself and I doubt you made the choice, for any other reason besides you don't have a soul.
“and is an extraordinary mass of energy.”

That indeed is an interesting thought.

What I know about God is he is very big and very extreme and obsessive. He wasn’t happy with one or two stars but he made untold trillions and trillions.

I have often thought he may actually be some type of energy form that has intelligence. The ability to create and destroy. But this I know for sure he is real.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180248 Oct 16, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
As I've said before...Believe what you like, but don't think that you sound any more sane than any other religious person on here. Just sayin. I have nothing to show me or tell me what a soul consists of. As I said before I know what my DNA shows and I know I have a personality, but I cannot believe in a soul or accept that I have a soul until I have something telling me what it even is.
I guess you don't believe in Soul Train either.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180249 Oct 16, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh... so you truly are just like everyone else. You claim to be tolerant, but you tolerate no other story but your own.
And you are tolerant?

Location hidden

#180250 Oct 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are tolerant?
Very actually.
Imhotep

Charlotte, NC

#180251 Oct 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Another off the shelf canned Atheist reply.
Push the button a

nd out rolls the same ole thoughtless response.
Rubbish and you know it!
You don't have one original thought - others tell you how the think and you obey like a dogma slave. You failed the study the origin of your own faith.
You are unable to separate superstition from reality.

Alas for you... the wheel is spinning furiously but the hamsters been dead for years.

Yours in Christ... provided Allah is willing and enjoys the full support of Krishna, and a written document from Zeus.

PS: document does not need to be in stone you can use common paper and simply post on the Internet, Snopes willing.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#180252 Oct 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not fooled but blessed to know the truth, my Dear Doctor.
Since TRUTH can only be verified by science, and science cannot verify the existence of God, you HAVE been fooled into believing in something that is NOT true. Oh, I know its true for you, but as you are fully aware, personal experience do not count as proof.

"The evidence for God is exactly the same as for werewolves."

Location hidden

#180253 Oct 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you don't believe in Soul Train either.
Haven't watched Soul train since I was a kid... and those were re-runs :) I know Soul Train exists...I've seen it lol. Seriously though... No, I would not be able to say that I "have" a soul unless I knew what a soul actually was.

While in the middle of writing this post I looked it up. There are so many theories and questions, and there are no answers so I can honestly say that I don't think it's unfair of me to say that it's not something that I could believe that I have since no one can say for sure exactly what it is. Don't you think that's fair?
Imhotep

Sevierville, TN

#180254 Oct 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
People are murdered by murders.
WELCOME TO MURDER CENTRAL

1—The entire population of the earth at the time of Noah, except for eight survivors.(Genesis 7:23)
2—Everyone in Sodom and Gomorrah.(Genesis 19:24,25)
3—Amalek and his people.(Exodus 17:8¬16)
4—3,000 Israelites.(Exodus 32:27,28)
5—14,700 Jews.(Numbers 16:44¬49)
6—The people of Og. "So they smote him, and his sons, and all his people, until there was none left him alive: and they possessed his land." (Numbers 21:33¬35)
7—24,000 people.(Numbers 25:4¬9)
8—All Midianite males.(Numbers 31:6¬12)
9—The Ammonites.(Deuteronomy 2:19¬21)
10—The Horims.(Deuteronomy 2:22)
11—The Amorites. "…utterly destroyed the men and the women and the little ones." (Deuteronomy 2:33¬35)
12—The Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites. "... thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them;" (Deuteronomy 7:1¬5)
13—Everyone in Jericho but one family.(Joshua 6:20¬25)
14—12,000 people of Ai.(Joshua 8:19¬29)
15—All the people of Makkedah.(Joshua 10:28)
16—All the people of Libnah.(Joshua 10:29,30)
17—All the people of Gezer.(Joshua 10:33)
18—All the people of Eglon.(Joshua 10:34,35)
19—All the people of Hebron.(Joshua 10:36,37)
20—10,000 Perizzites and Canaanites.(Judges 1:4)
21—All the inhabitants of the land of Goshen "... neither left they any to breathe." (Joshua 11:12¬16)
22—The inhabitants of Hormah, Gaza, Askelon, Ekron.(Judges 1:17¬19)
23—10,000 Moabites.(Judges 3:29)
24—600 Philistines.(Judges 3:31)
25—All the hosts of Sisera.(Judges 4:16)
26—120,000 Midianites.(Judges 8:10)
27—1,000 Philistines.(Judges 15:15)
28—25,100 Benjaminites.(Judges 20:35)
29—50,070 people of Bethshemesh.(1 Samuel 6:19)
30—All the Amalekites. "Slay both man and woman, infant and suckling…." (1 Samuel 15:3¬7)
31—200 Philistine men, in order to obtain their foreskins as the price for buying a bride.(1 Samuel 18:27)
32—22,000 Syrians.(2 Samuel 8:5)
33—40,000+ Syrians.(2 Samuel 10:18)
34—The Ammonites of Rabbah, who were tortured to death by the great King David.(2 Samuel 12:29¬31)
35—70,000 people.(2 Samuel 24:15)
36—Every man in Edom.(1 Kings 11:15)
37—All the prophets of Baal.(1 Kings 18:40)
38—127,000 Syrians.(1 Kings 20:28¬30)
39—Moabite captains & "fifties." (2 Kings 1:9¬14)
40—42 children, eaten by bears.(2 Kings 2:23,24)
41—185,000 Assyrians killed in their sleep.(2 Kings 19:35)
42—500,000 men of Israel.(2 Chronicles 13:16¬20)
43—20,000 Edomites.(2 Chronicles 25:11,12)
44—120,000 Judeans in one day.(2 Chronicles 28:5,6)
45—75,500+ people.(Esther 9:12¬14)

"And it came to pass, that at midnight the LORD smote all the firstborn in the land of Egyp" (Exodus 12:29) "Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up." (Hosea 13:16)

What sort of God would order such a thing? But it's a popular theme in the Bible. "Every one that is found shall be thrust through….Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes….and their wives ravished. Their bows also shall dash the young men to pieces; and they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb; their eye shall not spare children." (Isaiah 13:13-22)

Is this not all revolting? Yet there are repeated references to slashing open the stomachs of pregnant women. "because they opened not to him, therefore he smote it; and all the women therein that were with child he ripped up." (2 Kings 15:16)

<gags>

"They took the king's sons, and slew seventy persons, and put their heads in baskets, and sent him them to Jezreel. And there came a messenger, and told him, saying, They have brought the heads of the king's sons. And he said, Lay ye them in two heaps at the entering in of the gate until the morning." (2 Kings 10:78)

<disgusting>

You are one sick puppy.
Imhotep

Sevierville, TN

#180255 Oct 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There’s no “IF”???
Well cowboy you may be spending time in the library but if the paper you’ve been holding is soft and round. You just might be in the wrong library. We call that the sh*tter from where I’m from. You might want to switch libraries. Be sure to pull the paper out of your @ss when you do.
CORRECT, Cowgirl in waiting.
You spend too much time in public lavatories, no wonder you are profoundly ignorant, reading stall content as fact.
I post FACT, you post FAITH.

DISPROVE anything I've posted with a reliable source.
How smart of a CHRISTIAN are you?

1. Do you believe in God?

A.Yes, I believe in MY one TRUE God.
B.Yes, I have my own religious beliefs.
C.I'm not really sure but a sword to my throat would convince me.
D.No, I prefer rationality.

2. Do you believe in MY God?
A. Oh totally.(That's a fine sword you have there).
B. Nah, I already have one of those.
C. There is no God. Gasp!
D. My ass itches

3. Do you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?

A. You bet! One time, two times, three times my savior!
B.Once in a while.
C. Jesus who?
D. No, I'll opt out.

4. Have you read the King James Bible?

A. Yes! Like OMG, it's my freaking life!
B. Yeah, it was decent, but there are many other Bibles also.
C. Yes, but Atlas Shrugged was better.
D. I'd rather eat a thumbtack sandwich than read that garbage.

5. The TRUE meaning of the 6th Commandment:

A. Thou shalt not kill anyone for any reason.
B.Thou shalt not kill anyone except for the people who don't believe in the same God you believe in or people who don't believe in God at all.
Kill, Kill! More people have been killed in the name of God than for any other reason in history.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#180256 Oct 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Tamsin a English Actress, was raised an Atheist. No belief in God whatsoever. Having no radical brain washing as Atheist would describe it. Found God was real in her own journey in this life at the age of 30 years old.
From wiki:
Tamsin Margaret M. Greig (/&#712;tæmz&#618;n &#712;&#609;r&#603 ;&#609;/; born 12 July 1966)[2] is an English actress principally known for her roles in two Channel 4 television comedies: Fran Katzenjammer in Black Books and Dr. Caroline Todd in Green Wing. She currently stars in two sitcoms: as Beverly Lincoln in transatlantic sitcom Episodes, and as Jackie in the Channel 4 sitcom Friday Night Dinner. Other notable roles include Alice Chenery in BBC One's comedy drama Love Soup, Debbie Aldridge in BBC Radio 4's soap opera The Archers, and Miss Bates in the 2009 BBC version of Jane Austen's Emma. Greig is also an acclaimed stage actress; she won a Laurence Olivier Award for Best Actress in 2007 for Much Ado About Nothing, and was nominated again in 2011 for her role in The Little Dog Laughed.
Another delusional person, so whats your point? There many famous people who are Atheists. Woody Allen, Kevin Bacon, Jodie Foster, Katherine Hepburn, Burt Lancaster, Brad Pitt. Oh, you want "English actors eh, how about one of the best ever, Richard Burton.

I found some just for you:

"At the time Genesis was written, it was believe the Earth was flat. If they couldn't get the shape of the planet right, what are the odds of them nailing the cause of the creation of everything then?"

"If prayer really worked NO child would ever die of cancer."

"Your God created the entire universe in 6 days ON HIS OWN, but produced his autobiography over centuries using Ghost writers."

"When was the last time you tried to build a personal relationship with a middle-eastern warlord who advocates religious terrorism, who commands the annihilation of cities, who orders murders of children, who demands the rape of virgins girls, whom affords no rights to women and who murdered nearly 20 million people?" For most Christians it was last Sunday!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#180257 Oct 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not fooled but blessed to know the truth, my Dear Doctor.
Problems with word meanings I think;

1.) You KNOW that gravity exists.....you BELIVE God exists

2.) You KNOW that germs exist, even though you have never seen one......you BELIVE God exists

3.) You KNOW that the moon is not made of cheese, even though you have never been there....you believe God exists

4.) You KNOW Pluto orbits the sun, even though you nor anyone else on the planet has ever witnessed even one orbit...you believe God exists.

Get the point? All of the KNOWS are validated by science. Your beliefs are NOT
Imhotep

Sevierville, TN

#180258 Oct 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Another off the shelf canned Atheist reply.
Push the button and out rolls the same ole thoughtless response.
Zeus demands you worship me!

IMHOTEP, son of Jupiter, father of Isis, brother of Quetzacoatal, brother-in-law of Thor, and Grand Poobah™ of the United World Atheist Church of Eternal Pleasure, Happiness and Health.

Please send all of your belongings to:
IMHOTEP MISSIONARIES, MONASTERIES & CONVENTS LIMITED
ZURICH, SWITZERLAND
ACCOUNT # 666 Title: Lake 'O' Fireballs

Thou hast failed to follow thy given instructions...
Read Matthew 6.5-8

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.– Matthew 6.5-8

LMAO
Imhotep

Sevierville, TN

#180259 Oct 16, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I may not have answered that directly to you, but I did answer it. Everyone is correct for themselves. This is why I don't question you when you tell me you have no soul. I get why you guys go on as you do. My religion is like a man claiming to have a 15 inch penis, that could cause doubt. A man telling you his penis is under 3 inches gets no argument, people take his word for that.
RUBBISH

My God Can Beat Up Your God (Richard Bamford)

Do you know his name?
Sure you do.
He talks to you every day.
You could not live a normal life without him.
You believe in him, whether you like it or not.
Unless you abandon him completely, you cannot deny he exists.

My god is a more personal god than yours can ever be, for if you have enough sense to understand these words, my god lives within you.
He lives within us all, to some degree.
A heartbreaking few cannot understand him, but this is not their fault.
The real tragedy is the multitudes who ignore much of his counsel, particularly when he questions your god too deeply.

My god has been around longer than your god. He was here before the many other gods that preceded your god. Though you will likely scoff at the notion, my god was the father of your god, as he was to all gods.

But that was long ago when he was young and not yet sure of himself. Though many of your god's followers try to hold him down, my god grows stronger and more independent each day.

When your god expelled us from paradise for eating an apple, my god taught us to grow our own fruit.
• When your god forbade knowledge, demanding we live in ignorance, my god created books.
• When your god smote cities like a tantrum-prone child, my god helped to rebuild them.

• When your god insisted the world was flat, my god showed his followers it was round, to their peril at the hands of your god's followers.
• While your god watched in silence as children sickened and died, my god created medicines to make them well.
• When your god winked and nodded at slavery, my god argued passionately against it.
• While your god represses half the human race, my god considers woman to be the equal of man.
• When your god only helps those who help themselves, my god rolls up his sleeves and actually does help until your god decides to join in, and then steals all the credit.
• When your god inspired great buildings and great art, my god made them possible.
• While your god says we are all born sinners, tainted before we even draw breath, my god says we are all born innocent; a clean slate with limitless potential.
• While your god offers dubious allusions of an afterlife, my god provides for us here in this life.
• While your god makes amazing promises, but offers not a shred of proof, my god performs amazing deeds, and the proof is there to be seen by all.
• While your god demands blind faith and obsequious obedience, my god encourages questions, even about himself.
• When your god says "Thou shalt not," my god says "You can do anything."

My god is reason.
He does more in a day than your god will ever do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Have You Ever Taken Part In Public Nudity? (Dec '07) 3 min sandman6969 824
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min oxbow 584,459
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 3 min Good-Evil 3,586
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min bacon hater 828,804
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 12 min Clearwater 176,531
avandia 2014 (Jan '14) 14 min Cyndytv 322
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 20 min karl44 442,887
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Mary T 611,835
More from around the web