Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180233 Oct 16, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Ah, truth, what is truth? "That which is true according to fact and or reality" So this means you can be fooled by believing that which is untrue. All Theist have a belief that is UNTRUE according to facts and reality. It is TRUE only to you and those who believe as you. For you and those who believe as you, the TRUTH is unimportant, only the belief is important.
There is ONLY one way to find whether or not something is true or not, and that is SCIENCE. You have been fooled both ways, you believe in something that isn't true, and you refuse to believe in something that is TRUE. You believe that God created all, yet there is no truth to that according to FACTS and REALITY. And you refuse to believe in the FACT of evolution, something that according to FACTS, SCIENCE and REALITY is TRUE.
Fooled both ways, shame on you!!!!!!
Not fooled but blessed to know the truth, my Dear Doctor.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#180234 Oct 16, 2013
http://www.viewzone.com/plasticbrain22.html

Some detail on brain computer comparison.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#180235 Oct 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
They are as much as Topix atheists are. Little Tammy said so. They share the same belief or something.
What?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180236 Oct 16, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
theism |&#712;&#952;&#275 ;&#716;iz&#601;m|
noun
belief in the existence of a god or gods, esp. belief in one god as creator of the universe, intervening in it and sustaining a personal relation to his creatures.
atheism |&#712;&#257;&#952 ;&#275;&#716;iz&#6 01;m|
noun
the theory or belief that God does not exist.
A baby is born with NO belief in God or Gods, so by definition, all babies are Atheists.
Atheism is NOT an ideology, it is simple the lack of belief due to the absence of sufficient evidence. Atheism is NOT a world view, nor is it a POSITIVE position.
If you BELIEVE in God or Gods you are a THEIST, If you DONOT believe in God or Gods, you are an ATHEIST. It's really very simple.
So by definition the key words are “theory” and “belief.”

Both of which require a higher cognizant of intelligence.

No babies I have ever seen come out stamped “Atheist.”

But if the thought all infants are Atheist makes you have a smooth bowel movement then go ahead Doctor let her rip.

So by definiion

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#180237 Oct 16, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Soul?
What color is it, how much does it weigh and where is it located?
< fires blunt>
What if there really is a deity and you have been worshiping the wrong one?
Here is your competition!
Christianity: 2.1 billion (RCC Claims 1.2 million)
Islam: 1.5 billion
Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/ Atheist: 1.1 billion
Hinduism: 900 million
Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
Buddhism: 376 million
primal-indigenous: 300 million
African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
Sikhism: 23 million
Juche: 19 million
Spiritism: 15 million
Judaism: 14 million
Baha'i: 7 million
Jainism: 4.2 million
Shinto: 4 million
Cao Dai: 4 million
Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
Tenrikyo: 2 million
Neo-Paganism: 1 million
Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
Scientology: 500 thousand
http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adheren...
--
Food for thought area if you dare...
Today’s scholars can only use the known, that is historical reigning Roman Emperors as a reference in determining dates.
So, since your Bible clearly and unambiguously claims that Jesus was born during the reign of Herod the King, then he, Jesus, had to have been born no later than 4 B.C.
Irony meter goes boom!
Jesus could only have been born a minimum of four years before the birth of Jesus?
After you stop laughing though, consider the import of this paradox!
I do not pretend to be able to prove that there is no God.
I equally cannot prove that Satan is a fiction.
The Christian God may exist; so may the gods of Olympus, or of ancient Egypt, or of Babylon.
But no one of these hypotheses is more probable than any other: they lie outside the region of even probable knowledge, and therefore there is no reason to consider any of them.
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible.
Theists who believe in a divinely created Earth, and in the literal truth of the alleged 'holy book' aka the Bible containing 'hearsay' stories, written by primitive men, must reinterpret all new things discovered in light of the same source material.
The Secular humanist will read this and then make a judgment if it warrants merit or outright rejection.
We will not seek an apologist or clergy - we will use our own mind to determine the validity of the content and accuracy.
In short we will question anything and everything.
The literal theist, on the other hand, is forced to say ...
"Either that's a lie, it's wrong, or God is testing my faith by giving Me (Robert Stevens) yet more contradictory evidence that on the surface seems telling but really doesn't mean anything."
“Reason and faith are opposites, two mutually exclusive terms: there is no reconciliation or common ground. Faith is belief without, or in spite of, reason.”~George H. Smith
I may not have answered that directly to you, but I did answer it. Everyone is correct for themselves. This is why I don't question you when you tell me you have no soul. I get why you guys go on as you do. My religion is like a man claiming to have a 15 inch penis, that could cause doubt. A man telling you his penis is under 3 inches gets no argument, people take his word for that.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180238 Oct 16, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Soul?
What color is it, how much does it weigh and where is it located?
< fires blunt>
What if there really is a deity and you have been worshiping the wrong one?
Here is your competition!
Christianity: 2.1 billion (RCC Claims 1.2 million)
Islam: 1.5 billion
Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/ Atheist: 1.1 billion
Hinduism: 900 million
Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
Buddhism: 376 million
primal-indigenous: 300 million
African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
Sikhism: 23 million
Juche: 19 million
Spiritism: 15 million
Judaism: 14 million
Baha'i: 7 million
Jainism: 4.2 million
Shinto: 4 million
Cao Dai: 4 million
Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
Tenrikyo: 2 million
Neo-Paganism: 1 million
Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
Scientology: 500 thousand
http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adheren...
--
Food for thought area if you dare...
Today’s scholars can only use the known, that is historical reigning Roman Emperors as a reference in determining dates.
So, since your Bible clearly and unambiguously claims that Jesus was born during the reign of Herod the King, then he, Jesus, had to have been born no later than 4 B.C.
Irony meter goes boom!
Jesus could only have been born a minimum of four years before the birth of Jesus?
After you stop laughing though, consider the import of this paradox!
I do not pretend to be able to prove that there is no God.
I equally cannot prove that Satan is a fiction.
The Christian God may exist; so may the gods of Olympus, or of ancient Egypt, or of Babylon.
But no one of these hypotheses is more probable than any other: they lie outside the region of even probable knowledge, and therefore there is no reason to consider any of them.
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible.
Theists who believe in a divinely created Earth, and in the literal truth of the alleged 'holy book' aka the Bible containing 'hearsay' stories, written by primitive men, must reinterpret all new things discovered in light of the same source material.
The Secular humanist will read this and then make a judgment if it warrants merit or outright rejection.
We will not seek an apologist or clergy - we will use our own mind to determine the validity of the content and accuracy.
In short we will question anything and everything.
The literal theist, on the other hand, is forced to say ...
"Either that's a lie, it's wrong, or God is testing my faith by giving Me (Robert Stevens) yet more contradictory evidence that on the surface seems telling but really doesn't mean anything."
“Reason and faith are opposites, two mutually exclusive terms: there is no reconciliation or common ground. Faith is belief without, or in spite of, reason.”~George H. Smith
One thing I have to give you credit for. The rest of these wackos, can't even imagine I could believe in God and not be Christian.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180239 Oct 16, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol...this coming from someone that prefers us believe that they are going to turn into a butterfly after they die. I'm sorry, but you are to be taken no more seriously than someone that specifically believes in a god. Just sayin.
I do believe in an overall God, as well as man made ones. I believe God is not in human form, and is an extraordinary mass of energy. If we came across it, we wouldn't be able to near it, maybe there would be debate on if that mass is God. Most likely people would right that off because they prefer to think of God in a human form. Your peaceful and loving thoughts could make holy water, your thoughts could also power energy and create a spirit. As noted I consider atheism a very bad choice, but you do know yourself and I doubt you made the choice, for any other reason besides you don't have a soul.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180240 Oct 16, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Pick one ;-)
China, North Korea and part of the Russian Federation. I don't get why you guys try to act like this is not true, but it is noted and why I would never vote for one of you.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180241 Oct 16, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Which ones the perfect one again????? Lol
Stories of God not being perfect are lies. I don't acknowledge them.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180242 Oct 16, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
If he wasn't a god - that is, if he didn't do miracles or rise from the dead - then he was just another nice guy who didn't say or do anything remarkable.
What do you think makes Jesus a better man than say my neighbor, who is also a nice guy that would also likely tell you that the Golden Rule is a good rule to live by?
Did Jesus say anything worthwhile that was original?
You could have built the same religion around billions of similar nice guys in history including my neighbor, especially if you could control the stories told about them.
Your questions just tell me you have issues.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180243 Oct 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in babies.
Fun to make but a challenge to raise, lol.

And ohhhhhh are the costly!

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#180244 Oct 16, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I do believe in an overall God, as well as man made ones. I believe God is not in human form, and is an extraordinary mass of energy. If we came across it, we wouldn't be able to near it, maybe there would be debate on if that mass is God. Most likely people would right that off because they prefer to think of God in a human form. Your peaceful and loving thoughts could make holy water, your thoughts could also power energy and create a spirit. As noted I consider atheism a very bad choice, but you do know yourself and I doubt you made the choice, for any other reason besides you don't have a soul.
As I've said before...Believe what you like, but don't think that you sound any more sane than any other religious person on here. Just sayin. I have nothing to show me or tell me what a soul consists of. As I said before I know what my DNA shows and I know I have a personality, but I cannot believe in a soul or accept that I have a soul until I have something telling me what it even is.

Location hidden

#180245 Oct 16, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Stories of God not being perfect are lies. I don't acknowledge them.
Ahh... so you truly are just like everyone else. You claim to be tolerant, but you tolerate no other story but your own.

Location hidden

#180246 Oct 16, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Your questions just tell me you have issues.
The unanswered questions say that you have no answer or are just rude when it comes to social interaction.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180247 Oct 16, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
“and is an extraordinary mass of energy.”

That indeed is an interesting thought.

What I know about God is he is very big and very extreme and obsessive. He wasn’t happy with one or two stars but he made untold trillions and trillions.

I have often thought he may actually be some type of energy form that has intelligence. The ability to create and destroy. But this I know for sure he is real.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180248 Oct 16, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
As I've said before...Believe what you like, but don't think that you sound any more sane than any other religious person on here. Just sayin. I have nothing to show me or tell me what a soul consists of. As I said before I know what my DNA shows and I know I have a personality, but I cannot believe in a soul or accept that I have a soul until I have something telling me what it even is.
I guess you don't believe in Soul Train either.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180249 Oct 16, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh... so you truly are just like everyone else. You claim to be tolerant, but you tolerate no other story but your own.
And you are tolerant?

Location hidden

#180250 Oct 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are tolerant?
Very actually.
Imhotep

Charlotte, NC

#180251 Oct 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Another off the shelf canned Atheist reply.
Push the button a

nd out rolls the same ole thoughtless response.
Rubbish and you know it!
You don't have one original thought - others tell you how the think and you obey like a dogma slave. You failed the study the origin of your own faith.
You are unable to separate superstition from reality.

Alas for you... the wheel is spinning furiously but the hamsters been dead for years.

Yours in Christ... provided Allah is willing and enjoys the full support of Krishna, and a written document from Zeus.

PS: document does not need to be in stone you can use common paper and simply post on the Internet, Snopes willing.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#180252 Oct 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not fooled but blessed to know the truth, my Dear Doctor.
Since TRUTH can only be verified by science, and science cannot verify the existence of God, you HAVE been fooled into believing in something that is NOT true. Oh, I know its true for you, but as you are fully aware, personal experience do not count as proof.

"The evidence for God is exactly the same as for werewolves."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 6 min Neelakaran 6,452
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 8 min par five 3,720
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 21 min Blagoja 831,292
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 283
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr truth 586,333
Looking for a female partner who is Hiv+ 1 hr Tony17 2
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Tony17 99,363
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 hr Paul Porter1 442,990
More from around the web