Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#180262 Oct 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
People are murdered by murders.
Far too easy...
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180263 Oct 16, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
WELCOME TO MURDER CENTRAL
1—The entire population of the earth at the time of Noah, except for eight survivors.(Genesis 7:23)
2—Everyone in Sodom and Gomorrah.(Genesis 19:24,25)
3—Amalek and his people.(Exodus 17:8¬16)
4—3,000 Israelites.(Exodus 32:27,28)
5—14,700 Jews.(Numbers 16:44¬49)
6—The people of Og. "So they smote him, and his sons, and all his people, until there was none left him alive: and they possessed his land." (Numbers 21:33¬35)
7—24,000 people.(Numbers 25:4¬9)
8—All Midianite males.(Numbers 31:6¬12)
9—The Ammonites.(Deuteronomy 2:19¬21)
10—The Horims.(Deuteronomy 2:22)
11—The Amorites. "…utterly destroyed the men and the women and the little ones." (Deuteronomy 2:33¬35)
12—The Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites. "... thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them;" (Deuteronomy 7:1¬5)
13—Everyone in Jericho but one family.(Joshua 6:20¬25)
14—12,000 people of Ai.(Joshua 8:19¬29)
15—All the people of Makkedah.(Joshua 10:28)
16—All the people of Libnah.(Joshua 10:29,30)
17—All the people of Gezer.(Joshua 10:33)
18—All the people of Eglon.(Joshua 10:34,35)
19—All the people of Hebron.(Joshua 10:36,37)
20—10,000 Perizzites and Canaanites.(Judges 1:4)
21—All the inhabitants of the land of Goshen "... neither left they any to breathe." (Joshua 11:12¬16)
22—The inhabitants of Hormah, Gaza, Askelon, Ekron.(Judges 1:17¬19)
23—10,000 Moabites.(Judges 3:29)
24—600 Philistines.(Judges 3:31)
25—All the hosts of Sisera.(Judges 4:16)
26—120,000 Midianites.(Judges 8:10)
27—1,000 Philistines.(Judges 15:15)
28—25,100 Benjaminites.(Judges 20:35)
29—50,070 people of Bethshemesh.(1 Samuel 6:19)
30—All the Amalekites. "Slay both man and woman, infant and suckling…." (1 Samuel 15:3¬7)
31—200 Philistine men, in order to obtain their foreskins as the price for buying a bride.(1 Samuel 18:27)
32—22,000 Syrians.(2 Samuel 8:5)
33—40,000+ Syrians.(2 Samuel 10:18)
34—The Ammonites of Rabbah, who were tortured to death by the great King David.(2 Samuel 12:29¬31)
35—70,000 people.(2 Samuel 24:15)
36—Every man in Edom.(1 Kings 11:15)
37—All the prophets of Baal.(1 Kings 18:40)
38—127,000 Syrians.(1 Kings 20:28¬30)
39—Moabite captains & "fifties." (2 Kings 1:9¬14)
40—42 children, eaten by bears.(2 Kings 2:23,24)
41—185,000 Assyrians killed in their sleep.(2 Kings 19:35)
42—500,000 men of Israel.(2 Chronicles 13:16¬20)
43—20,000 Edomites.(2 Chronicles 25:11,12)
44—120,000 Judeans in one day.(2 Chronicles 28:5,6)
45—75,500+ people.(Esther 9:12¬14)
"And it came to pass, that at midnight the LORD smote all the firstborn in the land of Egyp" (Exodus 12:29) "Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up." (Hosea 13:16)
What sort of God would order such a thing? But it's a popular theme in the Bible. "Every one that is found shall be thrust through….Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes….and their wives ravished. Their bows also shall dash the young men to pieces; and they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb; their eye shall not spare children." (Isaiah 13:13-22)
Is this not all revolting? Yet there are repeated references to slashing open the stomachs of pregnant women. "because they opened not to him, therefore he smote it; and all the women therein that were with child he ripped up." (2 Kings 15:16)
<gags>
"They took the king's sons, and slew seventy persons, and put their heads in baskets, and sent him them to Jezreel. And there came a messenger, and told him, saying, They have brought the heads of the king's sons. And he said, Lay ye them in two heaps at the entering in of the gate until the morning." (2 Kings 10:78)
<disgusting>
You are one sick puppy.
Another Atheist canned answer, recycled material.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180264 Oct 16, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Problems with word meanings I think;
1.) You KNOW that gravity exists.....you BELIVE God exists
2.) You KNOW that germs exist, even though you have never seen one......you BELIVE God exists
3.) You KNOW that the moon is not made of cheese, even though you have never been there....you believe God exists
4.) You KNOW Pluto orbits the sun, even though you nor anyone else on the planet has ever witnessed even one orbit...you believe God exists.
Get the point? All of the KNOWS are validated by science. Your beliefs are NOT
I might add I have touched the moon, or a small portion of it at NASA.

Some things are not proven by science at least not yet.

How does one prove they are in love?

Can science prove love?

Love is not something that is tangible is it?

Love is beyond science my friend.

Yet many of us feel love for someone else or our children. It’s something in the inner being of our heart. The same goes with God.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180265 Oct 16, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Zeus demands you worship me!
IMHOTEP, son of Jupiter, father of Isis, brother of Quetzacoatal, brother-in-law of Thor, and Grand Poobah™ of the United World Atheist Church of Eternal Pleasure, Happiness and Health.
Please send all of your belongings to:
IMHOTEP MISSIONARIES, MONASTERIES & CONVENTS LIMITED
ZURICH, SWITZERLAND
ACCOUNT # 666 Title: Lake 'O' Fireballs
Thou hast failed to follow thy given instructions...
Read Matthew 6.5-8
And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.– Matthew 6.5-8
LMAO
Where were you when I was being forced to learn Greek Mythology in Jr High?

I sure wish some Atheist would have stood up then and had that crap thrown out the window.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180266 Oct 16, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
RUBBISH
My God Can Beat Up Your God (Richard Bamford)
Do you know his name?
Sure you do.
He talks to you every day.
You could not live a normal life without him.
You believe in him, whether you like it or not.
Unless you abandon him completely, you cannot deny he exists.
My god is a more personal god than yours can ever be, for if you have enough sense to understand these words, my god lives within you.
He lives within us all, to some degree.
A heartbreaking few cannot understand him, but this is not their fault.
The real tragedy is the multitudes who ignore much of his counsel, particularly when he questions your god too deeply.
My god has been around longer than your god. He was here before the many other gods that preceded your god. Though you will likely scoff at the notion, my god was the father of your god, as he was to all gods.
But that was long ago when he was young and not yet sure of himself. Though many of your god's followers try to hold him down, my god grows stronger and more independent each day.
When your god expelled us from paradise for eating an apple, my god taught us to grow our own fruit.
• When your god forbade knowledge, demanding we live in ignorance, my god created books.
• When your god smote cities like a tantrum-prone child, my god helped to rebuild them.
• When your god insisted the world was flat, my god showed his followers it was round, to their peril at the hands of your god's followers.
• While your god watched in silence as children sickened and died, my god created medicines to make them well.
• When your god winked and nodded at slavery, my god argued passionately against it.
• While your god represses half the human race, my god considers woman to be the equal of man.
• When your god only helps those who help themselves, my god rolls up his sleeves and actually does help until your god decides to join in, and then steals all the credit.
• When your god inspired great buildings and great art, my god made them possible.
• While your god says we are all born sinners, tainted before we even draw breath, my god says we are all born innocent; a clean slate with limitless potential.
• While your god offers dubious allusions of an afterlife, my god provides for us here in this life.
• While your god makes amazing promises, but offers not a shred of proof, my god performs amazing deeds, and the proof is there to be seen by all.
• While your god demands blind faith and obsequious obedience, my god encourages questions, even about himself.
• When your god says "Thou shalt not," my god says "You can do anything."
My god is reason.
He does more in a day than your god will ever do.
Ignored, until you learn to write for yourself.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180267 Oct 16, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Far too easy...
Go kiss yourself in the mirror.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180268 Oct 16, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Awww, kitten, copying other people's posts?
You're just embarrassing yourself now.
Well, really, you've been embarrassing yourself for some time....
I got it, you think you’re a genius. Go tell yourself how smart you are. You need constant reassuring.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#180269 Oct 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I might add I have touched the moon, or a small portion of it at NASA.
Some things are not proven by science at least not yet.
How does one prove they are in love?
Can science prove love?
Love is not something that is tangible is it?
Love is beyond science my friend.
Yet many of us feel love for someone else or our children. It’s something in the inner being of our heart. The same goes with God.
I'm not sure if it would be considered a proof of love, but science can show us the difference in brain activity when we are thinking about or looking at a picture of the one, or the ones we love. It's really interesting :)

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#180270 Oct 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where were you when I was being forced to learn Greek Mythology in Jr High?
I sure wish some Atheist would have stood up then and had that crap thrown out the window.
I agree with that!!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180271 Oct 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You really don't have an answer to your Gods murdering rampages do you? You accept that fact and continue to worship, unbelievable!!!!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180272 Oct 16, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
RUBBISH
My God Can Beat Up Your God (Richard Bamford)
Do you know his name?
Sure you do.
He talks to you every day.
You could not live a normal life without him.
You believe in him, whether you like it or not.
Unless you abandon him completely, you cannot deny he exists.
My god is a more personal god than yours can ever be, for if you have enough sense to understand these words, my god lives within you.
He lives within us all, to some degree.
A heartbreaking few cannot understand him, but this is not their fault.
The real tragedy is the multitudes who ignore much of his counsel, particularly when he questions your god too deeply.
My god has been around longer than your god. He was here before the many other gods that preceded your god. Though you will likely scoff at the notion, my god was the father of your god, as he was to all gods.
But that was long ago when he was young and not yet sure of himself. Though many of your god's followers try to hold him down, my god grows stronger and more independent each day.
When your god expelled us from paradise for eating an apple, my god taught us to grow our own fruit.
• When your god forbade knowledge, demanding we live in ignorance, my god created books.
• When your god smote cities like a tantrum-prone child, my god helped to rebuild them.
• When your god insisted the world was flat, my god showed his followers it was round, to their peril at the hands of your god's followers.
• While your god watched in silence as children sickened and died, my god created medicines to make them well.
• When your god winked and nodded at slavery, my god argued passionately against it.
• While your god represses half the human race, my god considers woman to be the equal of man.
• When your god only helps those who help themselves, my god rolls up his sleeves and actually does help until your god decides to join in, and then steals all the credit.
• When your god inspired great buildings and great art, my god made them possible.
• While your god says we are all born sinners, tainted before we even draw breath, my god says we are all born innocent; a clean slate with limitless potential.
• While your god offers dubious allusions of an afterlife, my god provides for us here in this life.
• While your god makes amazing promises, but offers not a shred of proof, my god performs amazing deeds, and the proof is there to be seen by all.
• While your god demands blind faith and obsequious obedience, my god encourages questions, even about himself.
• When your god says "Thou shalt not," my god says "You can do anything."
My god is reason.
He does more in a day than your god will ever do.
What is Narcissism?

Narcissism is a personality disorder in which the person falls in love with himself. The narcissist has got an inflated sense of self worth, he thinks that he is better than most people, that he is a superior person and that he is invulnerable. If one of your friends is a narcissist you can easily identify him by his continues talk about his marvelous achievements, his outstanding intelligence or his breath taking beauty.

http://www.2knowmyself.com/Pathological_Narci...
Imhotep

Charlotte, NC

#180273 Oct 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
So by definition the key words are “theory” and “belief.”
Both of which require a higher cognizant of intelligence.
No babies I have ever seen come out stamped “Atheist.”
But if the thought all infants are Atheist makes you have a smooth bowel movement then go ahead Doctor let her rip.
So by definiion
You cannot define your religion BECAUSE You Do not understand it's origin. You've never studied it. I have and many others.

I doubt that you've ever read you're Bible in its entirety.

"A thing is not proved just because no one has ever questioned it. What has never been gone into impartially has never been properly gone into.
Hence scepticism is the first step toward truth. It must be applied generally, because it is the touchstone."
~Denis Diderot, French author, encyclopedist, & philosopher (1713 - 1784)

< sips brandy>
< fires pipe>

Mocks silly... Jesus Roach©- True Believer®- True Christian™

10 important questions to be asked by any rational person as a guide to the question of whether or not there is a christian God.

1. If logic is the hallmark that separates man from beast, why is religion then a matter of "faith", rather than rationality?

2. If something cannot be proved, then why do people continue to believe in it?

3. If there is a God, which is the real one and how come when a culture nolonger exists neither do its gods? Isis? Ra? Neptune? Zeus? Apollo? Thor?
Quetzacoatle?

-- Alternate Question if 3. Is irrelevant to you -

3a. Why is your religion any more TRUE than other religions? Catholic, Protestant (any of many sects) Islam? Judaism? Hindu?

4. If the Christian God is monotheistic how can it also be triune with Jesus & the Holy Spirit?

5. If God was the father of Jesus via the "immaculate conception", wasn't Mary technically raped & impregnated against her will?

6. If Jesus was born to a mother who was unwed doesn't that make him a bastard?

7. If "Christ died for your sins on the cross", how much of a sacrifice was it really, considering he's immortal?

8. Why do people continue to believe in religion's gods when promises made for thousands of years have yet to be delivered, whereas, science has shown us the earth is NOT flat, the earth revolves around the sun and not the other way around, medicine heals but prayers don't, and although we can't literally walk on water we can circumnavigate the globe underwater in a submarine and fly to the moon?

9. If God made the earth and then created a great flood to wipe it out, how could a perfect, infallible being make something needing to be destroyed and begun anew?

10. If God "gave his only son" to save us from our sins, then why do we have to do anything?

I agree with number 10 - I don't need to do anything!

PS:
If you were twice as smart, you'd still be stupid.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180274 Oct 16, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure if it would be considered a proof of love, but science can show us the difference in brain activity when we are thinking about or looking at a picture of the one, or the ones we love. It's really interesting :)
Yes it is and I know they are pushing the envelope in this area all the time.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180275 Oct 16, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You really don't have an answer to your Gods murdering rampages do you? You accept that fact and continue to worship, unbelievable!!!!
Believe as you wish my good Doctor. I still love you in my heart.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180276 Oct 16, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with that!!!!
I hated all that crap and still do. What a waste of classroom time.
Imhotep

Charlotte, NC

#180277 Oct 16, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Problems with word meanings I think;
1.) You KNOW that gravity exists.....you BELIVE God exists
2.) You KNOW that germs exist, even though you have never seen one......you BELIVE God exists
3.) You KNOW that the moon is not made of cheese, even though you have never been there....you believe God exists
4.) You KNOW Pluto orbits the sun, even though you nor anyone else on the planet has ever witnessed even one orbit...you believe God exists.
Get the point? All of the KNOWS are validated by science. Your beliefs are NOT
No he doesn't get the point. He does have a point though... He wears a hat to hide it!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180278 Oct 16, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
He is laughing because you are a cry baby and idiot for making these statement. Why would we bake you, when we know The Devil is waiting to do it. No need for over kill.
Seven Godly Sins

When god destroys people for not obeying him, it is WRATH

When god punishes people for believing in a different god, it is ENVY

When god lets tragedies and disasters happen of which he could have prevented, it is SLOTH

When god allows anyone to hunger unnecessarily while he has enough for himself, it is GLUTTONY

When god expects his followers to dedicate their lives to worrshipping and praying to him, it is PRIDE

When god insists his followers pay tithes and offerings for his approval, it is GREED

When god intends on being party to every marriage, it is LUST

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180279 Oct 16, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's not change the topic, bobbing Bobby, all you worm meat are posting with hidden location. Are you afraid I'll do my Pagan magic, find you, then bake you. And you call us superstitious.
Seven Godly Sins

When god lets tragedies and disasters happen of which he could have prevented, it is SLOTH

When god allows anyone to hunger unnecessarily while he has enough for himself, it is GLUTTONY

When god expects his followers to dedicate their lives to worrshipping and praying to him, it is PRIDE

When god insists his followers pay tithes and offerings for his approval, it is GREED

Imhotep

Charlotte, NC

#180280 Oct 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's in your book dumbass - you should read it sometime!

You're living proof that Snow White and Dopey had unprotected sex. ;)

Reality check time for dumbass Christians:

IS THE BIBLE INSPIRED?

If it is, it should be a book that no man -- no number of men -- could produce.

It should contain the perfection of philosophy.

It should perfectly accord with every fact in nature.

There should be no mistakes in astronomy, geology, or as to any subject or science.

Its morality should be the highest, the purest.

Its laws and regulations for the control of conduct should be just, wise, perfect, and perfectly adapted to the accomplishment of the ends desired.

It should contain nothing calculated to make man cruel, revengeful, vindictive or infamous.

It should be filled with intelligence, justice, purity, honesty, mercy and the spirit of liberty.

It should be opposed to strife and war, to slavery and lust, to ignorance, credulity and superstition.
It should develop the brain and civilize the heart.

It should satisfy the heart and brain of the best and wisest.

It should be true.

QUESTION...???

Does the Old or NewTestament satisfy this standard?

Is there anything in the Bible in history, in theory, in law, in government, in morality, in science, above and beyond the ideas, the beliefs, the customs and prejudices of its authors and the people among whom they lived?

Is there one ray of light from any supernatural source?

NO!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180281 Oct 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh don’t feel bad about what you did to Catcher1. Heck fire the same thing happened to Madeline Murray O'Hare. One day one of her good ole buddies just shot her dead. You Atheist are funny about such things.
Seven Godly Sins

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Tellthetruth 989,777
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 5 min Aura Mytha 42,295
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 16 min PadMark 690,521
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 52 min im fair are you 141
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 2 hr Halle Berry Sister 4,365
God......do You enjoy wacthing me SUFFER?? 4 hr Paul McCartney is... 20
I absolutely HATE my LG V20 smartphone!!! 6 hr Doctor REALITY 1
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 16 hr Paul is dead 632
More from around the web