Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256566 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#178583 Sep 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Making a positive claim and then saying that you have absolutely no evidence is foolish, don't make the claim unless you can support it.
Why would anyone one be "honestly interested" in something for which there is no proof? Why would any one invest time and money to investigate that which is nonexistent? Only a complete fool or someone with a serious mental illness would do something so utterly pointless. Until you have proof for your claims you're just another nutcase babbling bullshit!!!!
The message tread is "Atheism requires as much faith as religion" therefore you are the on that keeps going off topic. From all I have read here your reading comprehension is that bad, you don't get that. Besides you're claiming you have a fact, not I.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#178584 Sep 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
A universe that is finite in size but did not begin with a singularity is the result of one attempt to combine aspects of general relativity and quantum mechanics. The history of this no-boundary universe in imaginary time is like the surface of Earth, with the Big Bang equivalent to Earth’s North Pole and the size of the universe increasing with imaginary time as you head south toward the equator.
A proposal first advanced by Stephen Hawking and Jim Hartle, the no-boundary universe is one in which the universe does not start with a singularity. It uses American physicist Richard Feynman’s proposal to treat quantum mechanics as a “sum over histories,” meaning that a particle does not have one history in space-time but instead follows every possible path to reach its current state. By summing these histories—a difficult process that must be done by treating time as imaginary—you can find the probability that the particle passes through a particular point.
Hawking and Hartle then wedded this idea to general relativity’s view that gravity is just a consequence of curved space-time. Under classical general relativity, the universe either has to be infinitely old or had to have started at a singularity. But Hawking and Hartle’s proposal raises a third possibility—that the universe is finite but had no initial singularity to produce a boundary (thus the name).
The geometry of the no-boundary universe would be similar to the geometry of the surface of a sphere, except it would have four dimensions instead of two. You can travel completely around Earth’s surface, for instance, without ever running into an edge. In this analogy, unfolding in imaginary time, Earth’s North Pole represents the Big Bang, marking the start of the universe.(But just as the North Pole is not a singularity, neither is the Big Bang).
reasoner

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#178585 Sep 27, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
.. your reading comprehension is that bad, you don't get that...
Criticising the reading comprehesion of others is not very Jesus of you. You need to up your game if you wish to be considered a genuine Christian.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#178586 Sep 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. You, lying about a partial quote of Hawking (a name you **still** cannot spell) was not a "win".
It's just you, playing pigeon chess.
Thank you, I admitted I misspelled his name. Now I spell it correctly. If you could admit you are wrong about some thing you would have hope, instead you will spiral as you are doing. Honestly the fate of your faith does suck. You do exercise a soul as you exercise any part of you. I really do still think you are 400+ pounds

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#178587 Sep 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
The Supreme Court has ruled on that motto:
It's not **religious** in any way.
Meaning? The word "god" in the motto doesn't refer to anything real.
Nice.
Thank God I am alive in such a wonderful country.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#178588 Sep 27, 2013
reasoner wrote:
<quoted text>
Criticising the reading comprehesion of others is not very Jesus of you. You need to up your game if you wish to be considered a genuine Christian.
I am not a Christian I am a Pagan. Due to your bad comprehension skills. or true knowledge of the topic, you will continue to believe I am a Christian. I do believe in regressive lives. In other words right after I die, I will work on manifesting and I will recover as a baby once again. That is not Christian belief, but your backwards way of thinking will not accept that. Therefore what is your world I am a Christian.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#178589 Sep 27, 2013
Reading your post this morning, I could now conclude atheism is a product of bad comprehension.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#178590 Sep 27, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =1YvWaLSOOIQXX
Stephen Hawking There is no God. There is no Fate.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#178591 Sep 27, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I believe it was the Bush administration that allowed the US b(w)ankers to get away with ripping off first the American public, then the world to the extent that it caused global depression and then the American public again
The story. US b(w)ankers invented the sub prime mortgage market. They took commission for financing the dept that they knew would be defaulted on (trance one of profit)
They then packaged (and hid) those debts in with above board financial packages and sold them on to banks around the world,(trance two of profit).
It all went tits up and your government had to bail them out to prevent the complete collapse of the US banking sector (trance three of profit)
Not a bad job, getting paid three times for being a greedy git eh?
This happened in 2007 and 2008, and therefore was in no way connected to anything that Obama has done who was not inaugurated until 2009. Nope he was left with the hole dig by your war monger Bush and his buddy b(w)ankers and to be completely fair, Obama was instrumental in pulling the US out of depression several years before some other countries.
But hey, feel free to lay the blame anywhere you want if it makes your conscience clear.
It was the Reagan admin that let the robber barons loot Wall St and public companies. Clinton helped. American business was taken over by parasites. Showbiz and hucksterism, smoke and mirrors since then. Manufacturing overseas and BS artists plundering the profits from the cheaper production.

You have a new global economic system based on investors and mandatory purchase of things like insurance providing cash flow for the new class of world rulers to disburse. In the long run it may be best for the large population we have, but it does need some tweaking and checks on it.

The world has become a corporation. There is not the old wealth such as gold and production of goods. Wealth is now determined by how much of the flow of Monopoly money you can divert to yourself.

You have your dream. You are a statistic, a cog in a greater machine. Matter being farmed by other matter. You have no escape.

blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#178592 Sep 27, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =1YvWaLSOOIQXX
There is SO much wrong with this video I don't know were to begin. First, the video does NOT state a source. When presenting the work or words of another human being a source MUST be present or it is consider plagiarism. Most likely this video is illegal.

Second, there is only on quote attributed to Hawking, most likely a misquote or a purposeful lie. Right next to your bogus video is one of Hawking himself claiming there can be no God. His quote, "Time didn't exist before the big band, there is no time for God to create a universe in."

Bogus claims from this equally bogus video:

1.) "Nothing can only create nothing."......A positive claim with absolutely no support. Since we have no idea what *nothing* is, we have no examples of *nothing* then it is impossible to claim that something cannot come from nothing. FAIL

2.) "Energy is eternal".......Another positive claim without support. Einstein's special theory of relativity published in 1905 shows that matter can be created of out of energy and can disappear into energy. So where does the energy come from? According to Hawking and other cosmologists, in a closed system energy can be converted from one type to another. Hawking...."In the case of a universe that is approximately uniform in space, one can show that the negative gravitational energy exactly cancels the positive energy present in the universe , so the total energy of the universe is ZERO!!! Additionally, you nor the video offer any proof that energy is enteral or that if so, it was created, or if so, that God was responsible. BIG FAIL

3.) "Science has proven that the universe has always existed."..........This is a completely false statement. Present the scientific peer review article or documentation that supports this claim. FAIL

4.) "The energy source that was PRESENT BEFORE the universe BEGAN.".....WOW, three positive claims and none with any kind of support. No one knows what was before the universe, we can't even know if there was a before, or that the universe actually BEGAN. FAIL

5.) "A separate eternal energy source that existed OUTSIDE of the universe."....Holy shit, are you friking serious? Her you and the video have not even come close to confirming that the universe had a beginning yet you claim there is an energy source OUTSIDE of the universe. If so, neither you nor anyone can know anything about something OUTSIDE of the universe. FAIL FAIL FAIL

This video fails on so many levels its ridiculous. Obviously put together by some organization or an individual with a deep religious bias, as evidenced by no sources.

It simply comes down to this video making numerous claims that can't even begin to be proven. I strongly suggest you devote some time to some real science and stop watching creationists videos.
LCNLin

United States

#178593 Sep 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>There is SO much wrong with this video I don't know were to begin. First, the video does NOT state a source. When presenting the work or words of another human being a source MUST be present or it is consider plagiarism. Most likely this video is illegal.
Second, there is only on quote attributed to Hawking, most likely a misquote or a purposeful lie. Right next to your bogus video is one of Hawking himself claiming there can be no God. His quote, "Time didn't exist before the big band, there is no time for God to create a universe in."
1.) "Nothing can only create nothing."......A positive claim with absolutely no support. Since we have no idea what *nothing* is, we have no examples of *nothing* then it is impossible to claim that something cannot come from nothing. FAIL
2.) "Energy is eternal".......Another positive claim without support. Einstein's special theory of relativity published in 1905 shows that matter can be created of out of energy and can disappear into energy. So where does the energy come from? According to Hawking and other cosmologists, in a closed system energy can be converted from one type to another. Hawking...."In the case of a universe that is approximately uniform in space, one can show that the negative gravitational energy exactly cancels the positive energy present in the universe , so the total energy of the universe is ZERO!!! Additionally, you nor the video offer any proof that energy is enteral or that if so, it was created, or if so, that God was responsible. BIG FAIL
3.) "Science has proven that the universe has always existed."..........This is a completely false statement. Present the scientific peer review article or documentation that supports this claim. FAIL
4.) "The energy source that was PRESENT BEFORE the universe BEGAN.".....WOW, three positive claims and none with any kind of support. No one knows what was before the universe, we can't even know if there was a before, or that the universe actually BEGAN. FAIL
5.) "A separate eternal energy source that existed OUTSIDE of the universe."....Holy shit, are you friking serious? Her you and the video have not even come close to confirming that the universe had a beginning yet you claim there is an energy source OUTSIDE of the universe. If so, neither you nor anyone can know anything about something OUTSIDE of the universe. FAIL FAIL FAIL
This video fails on so many levels its ridiculous. Obviously put together by some organization or an individual with a deep religious bias, as evidenced by no sources.
It simply comes down to this video making numerous claims that can't even begin to be proven. I strongly suggest you devote some time to some real science and stop watching creationists videos.
funny generalizations ..
You seem impressed with yourself
while amusing others
keep posting :-)

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#178594 Sep 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
You are making that up. There will be fate. You could avoid conclusion, but it will come. I guess that's why atheist reject their souls. In the end their will be an end, therefore fate will come.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#178595 Sep 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove Stephen Hawking is right.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#178596 Sep 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>There is SO much wrong with this video I don't know were to begin. First, the video does NOT state a source. When presenting the work or words of another human being a source MUST be present or it is consider plagiarism. Most likely this video is illegal.
I agree with Mr Hawkins no offence but you are biting off more than you could chew. I do watch Mr Hawkins and Mr Kaku when I could. The science channels I enjoy are going overboard with repeats.

Honestly, if you atheist were capable of having a honest conversation, and were not so defensive about everything. You might be interesting. You would be, but maybe not for long. I have concluded online atheist are outcast, that prefer to make no effort to socialize in society. I do go back to earlier years of the internet, when atheist were interesting it was conversation that resembled philosophy and we did except one word for things. They had knowledge outside the Christian vs Atheist box. This group actually believe there is no outside. I advice bloggers here to just think of the atheist bloggers here as just being outcast. They are jaded, but they'll never honestly address what disturbs them. They just frustratingly badger people online. They view us just as guilty as those that have jaded them, as if we are the cause, and the person that jaded them is the result. Like a brownnoser makes a egotist.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#178597 Sep 27, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
You are making that up. There will be fate. You could avoid conclusion, but it will come. I guess that's why atheist reject their souls. In the end their will be an end, therefore fate will come.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#178598 Sep 27, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove Stephen Hawking is right.
Ask one of the smartest men on the planet tom prove it to you.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#178599 Sep 27, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Stephen Hawking There is no God. There is no Fate.- YouTube
&#9658; 1:33&#9658; 1:33
www.youtube.com/watch... ;
Aug 15, 2011 - Uploaded by stepore
From Discovery Channel Curiosity S01E01. Stephen Hawking There is no God. There is no Fate.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#178600 Sep 27, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with Mr Hawkins no offence but you are biting off more than you could chew. I do watch Mr Hawkins and Mr Kaku when I could. The science channels I enjoy are going overboard with repeats.
Honestly, if you atheist were capable of having a honest conversation, and were not so defensive about everything. You might be interesting. You would be, but maybe not for long. I have concluded online atheist are outcast, that prefer to make no effort to socialize in society. I do go back to earlier years of the internet, when atheist were interesting it was conversation that resembled philosophy and we did except one word for things. They had knowledge outside the Christian vs Atheist box. This group actually believe there is no outside. I advice bloggers here to just think of the atheist bloggers here as just being outcast. They are jaded, but they'll never honestly address what disturbs them. They just frustratingly badger people online. They view us just as guilty as those that have jaded them, as if we are the cause, and the person that jaded them is the result. Like a brownnoser makes a egotist.
You posted a bogus video, I pointed out ALL of the flaws in it. I explained how it fails on so many levels. And your response is not to point out were I was in error in my conclusions but to try desperately to divert the conversation by ridiculing Atheists in general. It's an obvious diverting tactic and extremely dishonest of you.

You posted a video most likely created by a creationist organization. It makes claims that are impossible to support. It uses Stephen Hawking as a centerpiece for the video making it seem as thought Mr. Hawking fully supports the bogus claim made here when IN FACT Stephen Hawking has posted a video were he claims NOT to believe in God. You claim I'm making that up, so search for yourself and you'll see that I am correct.

It's quite evident that you have no argument to put forth on this dishonest video, I presume you can see where the video is in error since you make NO rebuttal to my arguments on each of the subjects I posted.

Stop embarrassing yourself by posting creationists video's there is NO science involved in creationism.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#178601 Sep 27, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
funny generalizations ..
You seem impressed with yourself
while amusing others
keep posting :-)
Says the resident lying creationist with no proof of god.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#178602 Sep 27, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Creationist scum like you love to take up space in he atheist forum.

How else will you get over your doubt?

Don't bother telling me you are pagan - you're full of sh*t and admitted to being creationist earlier.

Liars the lot of you...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min Steve III 654,195
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 10 min Roadrunner 64,180
2003 Silverado 2500HD REDUCED ENGINE POWER (Dec '09) 10 min Jim Sons 161
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 23 min nanoanomaly 973,862
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 26 min who 281,900
Who's the best fighter: Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee,... (Jan '08) 31 min saryonlayee 564
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 42 min X Pendable 183,186
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr Annaleigh 106,551
More from around the web