Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258476 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#178013 Sep 21, 2013
Redoran wrote:
<quoted text>
You did not answer my question about bee stings and peanut allergies. If these afflictions are not caused by man, the bible must present a cure. God cares about us, right? So what do we do for a bee sting allergy or peanut allergy, according to your good book?
In all of Jesus ministry. He never once criticized a medical doctor. Nor did he scorn people for going to see one.

In fact one of the early disciples who worked with the Apostle Paul was a physician. It is believed Luke even treated Paul as a patient. He was described as the “beloved physician,” by Paul.

Dr. Luke went on to write one of the four gospels in the New Testament. The book of Luke.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#178014 Sep 21, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I have. Praying is just talking to yourself.
And that's all it ever is.
All I can say it has always worked for me. Not just once but lots of times.

I first started praying to God as a little kid in church. We had one of those long winded preachers. I would pray earnestly for God to make him shut up. Almost to the point of begging God, lol….

I had more important things to do like play baseball with the local kids or go bike riding with the gang.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#178015 Sep 21, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no way to do that with a deity that does not reveal themselves in any of those ways when they are sought out.
Oooooooh yes there is, for sure. But it requires effort and there is the problem.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178016 Sep 21, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldn’t have said it any better.
“Could probably find him/her somewhere.”
What does that require,“to find?” That would require effort and some investigating.
Might even require you to go somewhere and knock on a few doors.
But the architect is not going to be found standing around at the bridge he/she designed just so you could meet them.
The problem with you?

Is that you **assume** that atheists haven't tried to find your -ahem- "architect"....

... I was a Genuine Christian™ for more than 40 years-- during that time, I searched for this "architect" of yours.

It was from reading the whole bible-- all of it-- not just the pretty bits (which are scant enough).

From reading that? I discovered how ugly the bible really is.

There is no way, that the ugly bible can be inspired from **anything** that is even a little good.

No way.

Thus? The bible is not divine.

*poof* there goes god ... gone in a flash.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178017 Sep 21, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
After reading your comment, my thought went back to Helen Keller (June 27, 1880 – June 1, 1968). The famous author who went deaf and blind at 1.5 years old.
Helen Keller wrote a letter to a Rev Phillips Brooks. In this letter she says she knew there was a God but didn’t know his name. As a fact she didn’t know the name of anything. She knew, even in the silent darkness there was a God.
If she had been an Atheist and wrote she did not believe in a God and men don’t have souls. Atheist would be all over that. Using her comments to their advantage. But here was a woman shut out of the world with the exception of feeling. And she knew there was a God.
That proves nothing. Ms Keller was raised in and around True Believers™ all her life. When the breakthrough finally came, and she learned to communicate? Everyone around her spoke of and about god.

On the other hand? If the first thing she spoke of, when learning to communicate, was god?

THEN.

And **ONLY** then would your example be evidence.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178018 Sep 21, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
In all of Jesus ministry. He never once criticized a medical doctor. Nor did he scorn people for going to see one.
In fact one of the early disciples who worked with the Apostle Paul was a physician. It is believed Luke even treated Paul as a patient. He was described as the “beloved physician,” by Paul.
Dr. Luke went on to write one of the four gospels in the New Testament. The book of Luke.
No... that has been discredited. This "luke" character wasn't the **actual** author of Luke. Rather, that book was written by someone using his name, to increase the credibility.

Sorry.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178019 Sep 21, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
All I can say it has always worked for me. Not just once but lots of times.
Self-fulfilling "prophecy".

I used to believe praying worked myself-- then, I began to realize I was lying to myself.

But that was years later, after I lost my faith.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178020 Sep 21, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
I first started praying to God as a little kid in church. We had one of those long winded preachers. I would pray earnestly for God to make him shut up. Almost to the point of begging God, lol….
I had more important things to do like play baseball with the local kids or go bike riding with the gang.
I have strong memories of sitting in church as a child, listening to the sermons.

There was a flash of insight, though, during one sermon: I was in my early teens, listening to the preacher go on and on about a subject he had no clue of: planetary science.

I have always loved science-- I followed NASA as a child, and avidly watched all the moon stuff on TV.

But that moment? The preacher was flat wrong in his sermon-- he had all the planets' orbits wrong, he was clueless about orbital dynamics.

And I had a flash of insight: this preacher could not **possibly** be a "man of god": HE WAS LYING. FROM THE PULPIT.

There was no excuse, either-- his lies were so blatantly WRONG. Any Junior High science textbook could have set him straight.

And that was likely the FIRST step down the road of no more faith.

What sort of god would allow such BLATANT LIES, from a representative of god?

Hmmm?

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#178021 Sep 21, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>Oooooooh yes there is, for sure. But it requires effort and there is the problem.
You are talking to me as if for 27 years I was being a Christian "wrong". I'm sorry, but you are incorrect. Even if effort is made there is no evidence of a god...there is only the thin thread of faith and hope that you are correct that you cling to (as did I).

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#178022 Sep 21, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Try praying about it. Either way you will find out eventually. Be patient.
Stop, you're scaring me.

Do you like spiders? Big spiders?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#178023 Sep 21, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you go to a span bridge near your home and look at it do you see the architect standing around there?
i can check in a book who designed the bridge and even look at the original blueprints

you have nothing on your invisible skydaddy

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#178024 Sep 22, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>No, but we could probably find him/her somewhere. Actually speak to, hear, see, touch, hell even smell lol
Are you looking for God?

He is not that hard to find.

Location hidden

#178025 Sep 22, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>Prayer doesn't work.
An absolute statement?

Location hidden

#178026 Sep 22, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>Not to mention that the bible states "Ask and ye shall receive." hmmmmm that doesn't work out very well now does it?
Context, that is for Gods children, not His enemies.

Location hidden

#178027 Sep 22, 2013
<quoted text>Show me **exactly** how my reasoning is faulty.

Can you do this WITHOUT resorting to faith?

No?

Interesting....
Are you claiming infallible reasoning?

If you are, then that proves the point.

If not then you agree it could be faulty.

Which is it.

Location hidden

#178028 Sep 22, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>LOL...now that's funny :) Yes...when I believed in god I did expect that what his word said was true, however I didn't think of him as a sugar daddy, but that was a good example of what most people expect him to be lol.
If say you used to believe in God but now don't, then you didn't really believe in Him in the first place.

Or you still believe and are just suppressing that truth because of your love of sin.

Location hidden

#178029 Sep 22, 2013
<quoted text>More: my reasoning is open-ended.

If you can SHOW ME FACTS, I **must** change my view/opinion.

I must.

FACTS, FIRST.

Opinion second.

How, exactly, is that "faulty"?
Because you are claiming you have an infallible reasoning with no presuppositions.

Is that true?

Location hidden

#178030 Sep 22, 2013
<quoted text>No such thing.
So why are you arguing with me?

And here your reasoning is shown to be faulty.

You will deny transcendent truths because you know where they lead.

Location hidden

#178031 Sep 22, 2013
<quoted text>Lie.

There is more evidence--**empirical** evidence for evolution than just about any other scientific principle.

Evolution is **both** fact **and** theory: both.

The **FACT** of evolution is this: after life got started* on earth, it changed from generation to generation over time, and became more and more complex until the present time, with all the complexities we see today.

Fact: all life on earth is related, through DNA (which proves this).

The **theory** of evolution explains the **fact** of evolution, as to the mechanisms involved.
You are confusing faith with fact, when did you observe empirically, one kind of creature turning into another?

You have not, therefore you have no deductive evidence.

You are trying to present inductive investigation as deductive.

A common evolutionary equivocation.

Case closed, back to your infallible reasoning.

Location hidden

#178032 Sep 22, 2013
Aura seems to have run from the battlefield...

Aura is your reasoning infallible?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Trumpler 983,122
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 6 min Haggard Victim ou... 16,425
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 44 min Michael 683,809
So how exactly did O.J. Simpson pull off a doub... 1 hr Mirrormirorwall 21
What Your Church Won't Tell You by Dave and Gar... (Apr '10) 2 hr Awesome Facts 33,213
the REAL reason for General Motors sales slumps 3 hr Doctor REALITY 8
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 11 hr Born Again Past JW 619,696
More from around the web