Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255964 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#177885 Sep 21, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>Good point, if design does not need a designer then I see no reason why an iPhone 5 shouldn't form itself out if my old CD player, given the magic of time of course...
Lol

Location hidden

#177886 Sep 21, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>Yet the most complex machines you can see cannot be created because of your pre commitment to a denial of Gods existence at any cost.

Your need to deny Him is so strong, what you are really saying is you do not have a strong enough incentive to hand the throne of your life to your Creator.

You will hide behind anything, including the joke of evolution, to protect your throne.
What complex machines are not being built due to my disbelief in a deity?

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#177887 Sep 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your definition of a mythical being needs to be defined better.
"Something" made us and our abilities. They did not happen by chance.
BTW, randomness is a relative term. Everything has a cause, just as you described. It is perceiving the cause and the patterns followed that make the difference between "laws" and "randomness".
Cut to the relevant.
It isn't my definition , it was the ancient Jews who defined it.

The something that made us is..... 3 billion years of the evolution of life and it's biosphere, and our ability to use our senses to learn with empirical science. Not everything has a cause, though it is easy to want to believe everything does.

Location hidden

#177888 Sep 21, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>Yet the most complex machines you can see cannot be created because of your pre commitment to a denial of Gods existence at any cost.

Your need to deny Him is so strong, what you are really saying is you do not have a strong enough incentive to hand the throne of your life to your Creator.

You will hide behind anything, including the joke of evolution, to protect your throne.
I do not need a strong incentive to love my life with a purpose and to die and have my life cycle come to an end. I understand that my life has an end. My body will over time just simply cease to function.

I think it's strange that you do not want to take the responsibility for your own life and it's quite self serving and selfish to have to have an incentive to do so.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#177889 Sep 21, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't think that there is anything wrong with someone who would physically attack someone just for talking about something that they may not like, but you think there is something wrong with someone just simply not believing in a god?
If you are an atheist and you stir the pot with drunk Eastern Europeans that came to this country to get away from what you offered. You are getting what you ask for. I could disagree with either group without having a violent reaction. I don't consider the bloggers here true atheist, by any means. I just discussed this with an atheist friend of mine too, and he agrees.

Let me ask you something. What is up with this "You are a coward" blogging. This does suggest to me that these bloggers are saying "if you addressed me in person saying such, I would take action." I do think you are the most reasonable atheist blogger here, but your ignore this then bring up that ways.

Location hidden

#177890 Sep 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Your definition of a mythical being needs to be defined better. You are on here ranting and raving against a portrayal in a book which appears to cloud your analytical skills and impedes your argumentation as it is totally emotion based. "Science" has made errors, so do religions. That does not change the reality of things, just the perceptions.

It is quite obvious mankind is part of a larger "organism", or assemblage. That is why we have the "mass mind". We are ever more complex devices put together for some purpose. In computers it would be like linking multi processors. Whatever this larger being we are components of is "God" to us, and may be even be created by something even larger. That is from pure abstract thinking. The problem is in our "physical" construction we can only look outwards and deal only with action/reaction to other "physical" things. Like the Roomba I discussed before. However, even in your own pitiful little mind you know there is more to you than that filter you are working through for the time being. You can transcend the straight "physical" world to a degree. The physical creature is charging ahead in the dark, like a car with high beams on, and another force is the driver. That is one reason we we can all get confused at times.

Topix atheists are confused individuals who freak out driving in the dark. They make their own little realities crawling along at 5 mph staring straight ahead. They are afraid of what they can see if they look.

"Something" made us and our abilities. They did not happen by chance.

BTW, randomness is a relative term. Everything has a cause, just as you described. It is perceiving the cause and the patterns followed that make the difference between "laws" and "randomness".
It is not so obvious to me. Could you please explain to me how you came to the conclusion that mankind is part of a larger "organism" or assemblage? What "obvious" things have I missed?

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#177891 Sep 21, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
An effort to spread your thought and or beliefs is a human right and has nothing to do with religion. If I told you my favorite color is pink, that does not make that statement religious. You are being ridiculous. The only thing that atheism doesn't "offer" is an afterlife, and if you are so sick that you think that an afterlife is a deserved thing or should I say, since you believe the way you do because of personal gain, then it sounds to me like you are more selfish and self absorbed than intelligent or truth seeking.
You could worship the color Pink, or just have it as a favorite color. I favor Purple and Black. Red and black sorts are the most common. I, for the most part worship myself. I find God with in me. It is better for me you don't seek the help of spiritual aid. I just think you too are a believer of such an you are up to no good.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#177892 Sep 21, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh and I see that you ignore the fact that you have made statements that atheists should not speak about anything that they think..... Did someone recruit you to this thought police you speak of?
I suggest you read more of your fellow atheist bloggers post. As I have noted you are of a higher frame of thought than they are, however. I know longer believe you are atheist.

Location hidden

#177893 Sep 21, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>If you are an atheist and you stir the pot with drunk Eastern Europeans that came to this country to get away from what you offered. You are getting what you ask for. I could disagree with either group without having a violent reaction. I don't consider the bloggers here true atheist, by any means. I just discussed this with an atheist friend of mine too, and he agrees.

Let me ask you something. What is up with this "You are a coward" blogging. This does suggest to me that these bloggers are saying "if you addressed me in person saying such, I would take action." I do think you are the most reasonable atheist blogger here, but your ignore this then bring up that ways.
Thank you. I am confused by your first part of this post. If you are from America, I'm not sure what you think the premise of America was founded on. America was founded to try and escape one track minds and religious restraints. It was wanted that people to be able to have a religious belief or to lack a religious belief without having restrains put on them because of their personal beliefs or lack there of. We as humans have such an ego that some fight too hard to be "right" and ignore the information that is provided to them to help them make that personal choice.

Location hidden

#177894 Sep 21, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>You could worship the color Pink, or just have it as a favorite color. I favor Purple and Black. Red and black sorts are the most common. I, for the most part worship myself. I find God with in me. It is better for me you don't seek the help of spiritual aid. I just think you too are a believer of such an you are up to no good.
I have no personal agenda that would cause me to want to be up to no good. I assume that I could worship the color pink, but why would I want to??? I was attempting to point out that just me sharing my thought or my personal opinion with you is not a religious act.

Location hidden

#177895 Sep 21, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>I suggest you read more of your fellow atheist bloggers post. As I have noted you are of a higher frame of thought than they are, however. I know longer believe you are atheist.
I do not believe in a deity so by definition I am an atheist. However, that is really neither here nor there in making who I am as a person.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#177896 Sep 21, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
How exactly does modern electronics prove a creator of the universe?
Our manipulation of forces to create devices and control them over distance. You weren't here for my past posts about this world and us being like remote controlled airplanes, and tuned devices working on discrete signals.

You have to get past the you just exist and realize how you are put together.

EM is the shaper and controller of the universe. It is the most powerful of the forces and transverses the known universe. Yes, stronger than gravity and the nuclear forces. The nuclear forces just bind nuclei, EM moves the nuclei. Without the EM you wouldn't have fission or fusion.

Your body and material mind is a tuned device programmed to respond to the greater universe. Pure and simple. The universe shaped you, and its movements let's you function. You have a power supply built in you, but it has its limits on just how much "free will" you can exert, if any. That power supply is formed from EM interactions, the chemical processes of your digestive system whose energy is then redistributed.

The entire basis of physics is cause and effect. Nothing happens without being caused. However, this is a school of thought, a religion if you will, that we just magically poofed into existence out of nothing, that nothing being pre BBT. It is a religion of math and probabilities, not actualities. You have a cult of this religion in theoretical physics that provides "evidence" for people with head problems, meaning your typical Topix atheist.

Alamosa, CO

#177897 Sep 21, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not so obvious to me. Could you please explain to me how you came to the conclusion that mankind is part of a larger "organism" or assemblage? What "obvious" things have I missed?
EM programming via DNA. Shared tuning and expression.

Branches of the same tree. Bees of the same hive. Differentiated cells of the same body.

Location hidden

#177898 Sep 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Our manipulation of forces to create devices and control them over distance. You weren't here for my past posts about this world and us being like remote controlled airplanes, and tuned devices working on discrete signals.

You have to get past the you just exist and realize how you are put together.

EM is the shaper and controller of the universe. It is the most powerful of the forces and transverses the known universe. Yes, stronger than gravity and the nuclear forces. The nuclear forces just bind nuclei, EM moves the nuclei. Without the EM you wouldn't have fission or fusion.

Your body and material mind is a tuned device programmed to respond to the greater universe. Pure and simple. The universe shaped you, and its movements let's you function. You have a power supply built in you, but it has its limits on just how much "free will" you can exert, if any. That power supply is formed from EM interactions, the chemical processes of your digestive system whose energy is then redistributed.

The entire basis of physics is cause and effect. Nothing happens without being caused. However, this is a school of thought, a religion if you will, that we just magically poofed into existence out of nothing, that nothing being pre BBT. It is a religion of math and probabilities, not actualities. You have a cult of this religion in theoretical physics that provides "evidence" for people with head problems, meaning your typical Topix atheist.
Wow...I'm sorry but that almost sounds like a conspiracy theory.

Alamosa, CO

#177899 Sep 21, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow...I'm sorry but that almost sounds like a conspiracy theory.
More like virus replication.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#177900 Sep 21, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>Seriously....if you watched a woman for birth and had never heard of a god then you would see that the woman was the designer, or maker. God didn't poof me into existence...my mommy and daddy made me, but I really hope I don't have to explain to you how lol

So you have a women as the first cause of humanity, a woman from whom the whole of humanity came from?

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#177901 Sep 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
EM programming via DNA. Shared tuning and expression.
Branches of the same tree. Bees of the same hive. Differentiated cells of the same body.
Yeah you are the descendant of the tribe of spooky toothed Indian shamans, root doctors and crazy old women. Put all that DNA in a blender and out pops Crazy Dave!
You know the guy who can communicate with the universe, using magnets rocks and string!

Location hidden

#177902 Sep 21, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>Why would you present the idea that the universe factually has a designer?

Upon what basis do you make that claim?
Upon the basis that He has revealed that to us all, the whole if humanity, both internally and externally.

We all have an intrinsic knowledge of His existence.

Based on His revelation of Himself to us.:-)

Location hidden

#177903 Sep 21, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>Yet your ego is so large that you come here every day to argue with people who you seem to think have no intelligence and who you think should not have a right to have a different thought than yourself... I personally do not see how I am egotistical and you are not.
Read my post again, all humanity would include myself I hope.

Location hidden

#177904 Sep 21, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>The answer to that would be... It is a fixed notion that there is no god because there has been no satisfactory evidence to carry the notion of a god.
What do you use to examine the evidence with?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 min Democrats for Trump 106,065
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min vikinglovespenis 55,920
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 37 min Steve III 650,012
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Brian_G 445,893
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 1 hr Tony 6,077
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr ImFree2Choose 2,306
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr bad bob 182,934
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr brandy trujillo 971,739
my cousin touches me when i am asleep and i kin... (Mar '14) 23 hr Jesus 47
More from around the web