Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 253422 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#177435 Sep 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your gonna die, Aura. And you don't know when.
There are more than the religious preaching gloom and doom, but at least they preach a possible escape.
Yes, they lie. They prey on your fear of non-existence.
Your group preaches "knowledge" is some sort of escape.
No, knolwedge is not some form of escape. There is no escape. You and I will die. A hundred years from now, we will not exist. Deal with it.

Knowledge is simply a good way to spend the time we have improving things for those who exist after us.
It is to divert your from the reality of your physical existence WILL come to an end, and along with it, all of your thoughts and "living".
Blinders.
That "knowledge" won't do you a damn bit of good.
Look inside yourself for "knowledge".
Face your fears.
When I do not exist, knowledge will do me no good. But the knowledge I spread to others (by teaching, for example), may help those who exist in the future.

Looks to me like you have to face your own fears of non-existence.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#177436 Sep 16, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>If there were evidence of life after death found in every generation since the dawn of man, it would be an accepted, provable fact. It isn't - its a belief.

There has never been any proof of life after death.
Ain't that tha freakin truth!

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#177438 Sep 16, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
If there were evidence of life after death found in every generation since the dawn of man, it would be an accepted, provable fact. It isn't - its a belief.
There has never been any proof of life after death.
Then die and cross that bridge when you get to it.

In the meantime, let others believe what they want to.

You call them stupid, they can call you stupider.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#177439 Sep 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It isn't an "atheist forum". It is a forum where there is a discussion about of atheism requires as much faith as religion.
You may believe there is no afterlife. Others do.
Why are you on here saying they are stupid and interfering with your life for believing there is? Why are you on here to reshape the vast majority of the world to your very limited and uninspirational view of existence?
I am here to point out what an obnoxious idiot you are.
Again, you try to avoid proving your god, instead proving that you're an idiot that doesn't understand atheism.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#177440 Sep 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
How could you be stupider for believing in a bunch of myths.

There is no heaven and hell. If you reject myths, that makes you much more intelligent than those gullible people who believe in unproven myths.

Fowler, CO

#177441 Sep 16, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they lie. They prey on your fear of non-existence.
<quoted text>
No, knolwedge is not some form of escape. There is no escape. You and I will die. A hundred years from now, we will not exist. Deal with it.
Knowledge is simply a good way to spend the time we have improving things for those who exist after us.
<quoted text>
When I do not exist, knowledge will do me no good. But the knowledge I spread to others (by teaching, for example), may help those who exist in the future.
Looks to me like you have to face your own fears of non-existence.
The knowledge you spread, eh?

Sounds like a messiah or elitist thing.

Poly, you haven't learned anything to pass on to others that they should bank their existence on. There is absolutely nothing inspiring about your existential view. Totally dead end. You may have this illusion about it leading to the betterment of mankind, this Utopian vision of the future through what you consider "proper" education, but the fact is people will be people and you are just farting into the wind with your particular religion. And that is just what it is.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#177442 Sep 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Then die and cross that bridge when you get to it.
In the meantime, let others believe what they want to.
Who did I call stupid?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#177443 Sep 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all. Each generation teaches the next.
Poly, you haven't learned anything to pass on to others that they should bank their existence on. There is absolutely nothing inspiring about your existential view. Totally dead end. You may have this illusion about it leading to the betterment of mankind, this Utopian vision of the future through what you consider "proper" education, but the fact is people will be people and you are just farting into the wind with your particular religion. And that is just what it is.
No uptopianism. Simply learning how to live without superstitions.

Fowler, CO

#177444 Sep 16, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Who did I call stupid?
Those that don't agree with your belief.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#177445 Sep 16, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing but not valid..
I'm sure that most of you have seen enough of LCNlin's two to three words posts to know that this person is either completely illiterate or merely a child posing as an adult. I can think of no other reason for two or three word posts or a sentence or two every once in a while.

Does it not seem like a complete waste of time to come to a site like this and NOT engage in any kind of dialog? Perhaps, and I say this without being mean spirited, he is mentally challenged. I would encourage LCNlin to either get involved in an adult conversation, or simply piss off.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#177446 Sep 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is not a religion.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Creationist liar blabbering on about stuff he doesn't understand. Another one lost in the mental illness of faith.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#177447 Sep 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Topix atheists.
They think it is great sport getting on here and telling theists they are stupid for believing in an afterlife, that they are weak and scared.
Whistling by the graveyard.
What a joke.
On them.
Those agonizing and terrifying final moments they will go through. Their tough guy consciousness will be the very first thing to go.
Oh, yeah, dying is just like going sheepy night night. Oh, here I go into my eternal sleep. It's been fun. I've done so much. If those theists only knew how easy it was.
For nothing.
You can wake up from nightmares.
Sheer shrieking terror no one but themselves will hear.
Momma Nature and evolution shuts your body off, then she shuts off your physical brain.
I'm not laughing at them.
You're stupid.

YAY!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#177448 Sep 16, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
A Church = religion. A God = Theist. You can have a religion without a God.
Then you would be ignoring the classic description of religion, especially when having conversations with Christians or theists. RELIGION-----"The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, a personal God or Gods."

Since you are a Christian then this description of religion applies directly to you.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#177449 Sep 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Those that don't agree with your belief.
Really? When did I do that?

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#177450 Sep 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you posted you were about 42 some time back.
Thirty three is pretty young yet. Too young to know what you think you know.
However, enjoy it while you can. Women have about 20 years of being pretty blossoms, then they fade rapidly. They need plenty of plastic and artificial coloring to maintain those petals. While one may be inclined to brave thorns to pick a fresh rose, that inclination to smell it, much less to pick it, drops rapidly. Especially since the thorns get harder and sharper while those petals fall apart.
You have about 5 years left of lower maintenance. There will be no magic to change that.
After that is when your real intellectual ability starts to develop. You will be less distracted by those passing by to take a sniff, unless you have money hanging on those thorns, and much more time to consider just what living is.
Start working on dulling those thorns.
You have to have a poetic soul, which takes time to develop, to understand what I was portraying there, and how it relates to the living process. Birth, growth, breeding, watching what is happening, and leaving the scene. Humans and plants do the same thing.
Relax, your youth and energy scares me more than the thorns. I almost remember being like that once upon a time. As you start wilting you are more loathe to waste energy.
Yup was a typo – 43 – My humblest apologies, I don’t notice these things unless my WP puts a line underneath.

So what you are saying is that I am past my best but still as good as ever and my intellectual ability has been growing for 5 years or so. Thanks for that.

What is a soul? What is a poetic soul? Do you have any substantiation to show such a thing exists? Or are you confusing soul with intellect? This is not really surprising considering the constrained conditions you impose on yourself. Davesworld is doing your intellect something quite disturbing. Please try and get well soon.

Just because you are getting flabby and saggy is down to you, stop projecting your delusion onto others

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#177451 Sep 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
All of these Topix atheist regulars just flat never grew up. Emotionally they are all still stuck in their adolescence.
That second link I posted did a good job of describing them.
I can't wait for Santa to come.

Ohboyohboyohboy!

Location hidden

#177452 Sep 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>It isn't an "atheist forum". It is a forum where there is a discussion about of atheism requires as much faith as religion.

You may believe there is no afterlife. Others do.

Why are you on here saying they are stupid and interfering with your life for believing there is? Why are you on here to reshape the vast majority of the world to your very limited and uninspirational view of existence?

I am here to point out what an obnoxious idiot you are.
You just pointed out what an obnoxious idiot you are... I'm not the one talking about how everyone's gonna die lol... That also doesn't have anything to do with the topic of the thread...soooo that being said, I do believe this makes you not only an obnoxious idiot, but also a depressing one.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#177453 Sep 16, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
An origin without a creator for starts. The list goes on, but this one in itself is enough.
You DO have trouble defining words don't you. There is a big difference between FAITH and TRUST. I personally don't have faith in anything, I have trust in things, I will grant trust to others, but faith is gullibility.

You have FAITH in a creator being, FAITH because you have no evidence. Even worse, you have a preconceived notion about the origins of the universe which eliminates any other possibilities, just NOT very intelligent or open minded.

I am not afraid to admit that I do NOT know the origins of the universe, point being no one on the face on the planet for the past 200,000 years has known. I do TRUST cosmologist and astrophysicists to supply me with information about some of the possible caused for the origins of the universe. With science I have INFORMATION, you have NO INFORMATION, and base your views on the origins of the universe on......well on NOTHING other than FAITH.

When extremely ill do you stay home and rely on FAITH to cure you, or do you hurry off to the nearest hospital and TRUST medical science to help you? There are parents now in prison because they chose option #1, and sat and watched their child die and agonizing death. FAITH is not only gullibility but it is also dangerous. Shame on you for being gullible!!

Location hidden

#177454 Sep 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>The knowledge you spread, eh?

Atheism is not a religion. Look up the definitions and stop following just what other people say.
followerofSatan

Chicago, IL

#177455 Sep 16, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You DO have trouble defining words don't you. There is a big difference between FAITH and TRUST. I personally don't have faith in anything, I have trust in things, I will grant trust to others, but faith is gullibility.
You have FAITH in a creator being, FAITH because you have no evidence. Even worse, you have a preconceived notion about the origins of the universe which eliminates any other possibilities, just NOT very intelligent or open minded.
I am not afraid to admit that I do NOT know the origins of the universe, point being no one on the face on the planet for the past 200,000 years has known. I do TRUST cosmologist and astrophysicists to supply me with information about some of the possible caused for the origins of the universe. With science I have INFORMATION, you have NO INFORMATION, and base your views on the origins of the universe on......well on NOTHING other than FAITH.
When extremely ill do you stay home and rely on FAITH to cure you, or do you hurry off to the nearest hospital and TRUST medical science to help you? There are parents now in prison because they chose option #1, and sat and watched their child die and agonizing death. FAITH is not only gullibility but it is also dangerous. Shame on you for being gullible!!
worst part is, we had trust in our educational system to educate dimwits like robert stevens and it failed us, unless he was homeschooled....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Clearwater 950,543
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 12 min MUQ2 14,258
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 15 min Epiphany2 615,771
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 21 min guest 627,462
Gay sex in raigarh (Jun '15) 1 hr monu 290
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 hr MUQ2 42,248
Play "end of the word" part 2 3 hr Aussie Kev 691
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr AussieBobby 278,416
More from around the web