Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256643 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#177385 Sep 15, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is not a religion. There's nothing you can do about it.
No Atheism is a religion and you should catch up on things.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#177386 Sep 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
All of these Topix atheist regulars just flat never grew up. Emotionally they are all still stuck in their adolescence.
That second link I posted did a good job of describing them.
I think it's a lack of social skills. They've turned it into a religion, and this is their Cathedral. This group is the most hopeless.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#177387 Sep 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Is an atheist church tax exempt?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177388 Sep 15, 2013
Croco_Duck wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually? Most secular humanist churches have qualified.

But so have the Universal Unitarian churches, many of whom welcome atheists as members.

But these are not **atheist** churches, per say. There are none such, as atheism is simply a lack of belief in gods.

There **are** churches who require members to **be** atheists to join, however. They **always** have various lists of things they hold important beyond the basic requirement of not believing in gods, though.

It's amusing that the godbots cannot seem to understand this.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177389 Sep 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's a lack of social skills. They've turned it into a religion, and this is their Cathedral. This group is the most hopeless.
The above loony-tunes is not an argument in support of anything.

Just a sad attempt to be insulting... classic True Believer™.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#177390 Sep 15, 2013
Croco_Duck wrote:
<quoted text>
An 'atheist church' is just a funny idea....
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/14/...

More atheist humour from Jonny Eve....
http://www.atheismuk.com/2012/03/31/atheism/y...

Non-believers are served with humanist, skeptic, Brights, rationalist, freethinking and secular groups and orgs. Horses for courses. People can usually find something in their area.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177391 Sep 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually you are more religious than he could ever be. Trust me on this. Opps that word.
Loony tunes. No arguments, though.
LCNLin

United States

#177392 Sep 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.vice.com/read/hey-a theists-just-shut-up-please
Real atheists hate Topix atheists. Don't think much of them, anyhow.
Amusing and valid,
evangelical atheists are on a thread

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#177393 Sep 15, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually? Most secular humanist churches have qualified.
But so have the Universal Unitarian churches, many of whom welcome atheists as members.
But these are not **atheist** churches, per say. There are none such, as atheism is simply a lack of belief in gods.
There **are** churches who require members to **be** atheists to join, however. They **always** have various lists of things they hold important beyond the basic requirement of not believing in gods, though.
It's amusing that the godbots cannot seem to understand this.
All the law is saying (US LAW) is that atheism if declared deserves the same protection under the constitution, that religion does. Therefore freedom of religion is also freedom from religion.

All this was brought up because an atheist in prison wanted to form a study group, but was denied. What the law did , was say an atheist has the right to go to the prison library on Sunday, instead of church. If you can call "study" a religion then atheist prisoners won the right to in court.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#177394 Sep 15, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing and valid,
It's you who ineffectually tries to defend religion on the Atheist Threads.

I notice that the religionists on the Atheist Forum all seem to be ID/Creationist supporters like yourself, i.e extremists.(I'm aware that you don't see yourself this way, but it's how I think most reasonable people who follow your comments see you). It is the non-believers here who're the moderate middle-of-the-roaders.

A moderate view is that there are no such things as gods or pixies. Religion = superstition. It's divisive and outdated.

We're simply stating the bleedin' obvious.

“Wrath”

Is revenant

#177395 Sep 15, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing and valid,
There is no such thing.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/eva...

There are people who promote a humanist philosophy.
But that is very different than a evangelical philosophy.
In fact there is a logical contradiction in the phrase
"evangelical atheist". But of course Christianity is built on logical contradiction, so nothing new there.
You just being what you are..illogical.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#177396 Sep 15, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
All the law is saying (US LAW) is that atheism if declared deserves the same protection under the constitution, that religion does. Therefore freedom of religion is also freedom from religion.
All this was brought up because an atheist in prison wanted to form a study group, but was denied. What the law did , was say an atheist has the right to go to the prison library on Sunday, instead of church. If you can call "study" a religion then atheist prisoners won the right to in court.
Freedom to exercise your non-belief is what the law says.

That "freedom from religion" is a stretch of something or other. Something a paranoid would say.

Your "freedom from religion" is construed by those paranoids to include not seeing any symbols of religion out in public. The law was not designed to trample the rights of others to accommodate nut cases.

“Wrath”

Is revenant

#177397 Sep 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Freedom to exercise your non-belief is what the law says.
That "freedom from religion" is a stretch of something or other. Something a paranoid would say.
Your "freedom from religion" is construed by those paranoids to include not seeing any symbols of religion out in public. The law was not designed to trample the rights of others to accommodate nut cases.
You 96 freaks to my four fleeing atheists have a right to want you to stfu. You are scaring the kids with your end of day prophesy and gloom a doom philosophy. You came up saying repent of your sins, but I did nothing to deserve your proselyting attempts and the laying on of hands to my wallet. Don't go away mad....just go away!

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#177398 Sep 15, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You 96 freaks to my four fleeing atheists have a right to want you to stfu. You are scaring the kids with your end of day prophesy and gloom a doom philosophy. You came up saying repent of your sins, but I did nothing to deserve your proselyting attempts and the laying on of hands to my wallet. Don't go away mad....just go away!
You must be terrified of death for that to bother you.

Most of my youth was filled with a nuclear holocaust that could occur at any time. Fingers on the button for years. Was purely secular.

You can get that sort of fear inducement watching pharmaceutical commercials.

Get right with God, Aura. You don't have much time left.
LCNLin

United States

#177399 Sep 15, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>It's you who ineffectually tries to defend religion on the Atheist Threads.
I notice that the religionists on the Atheist Forum all seem to be ID/Creationist supporters like yourself, i.e extremists.(I'm aware that you don't see yourself this way, but it's how I think most reasonable people who follow your comments see you). It is the non-believers here who're the moderate middle-of-the-roaders.
A moderate view is that there are no such things as gods or pixies. Religion = superstition. It's divisive and outdated.
We're simply stating the bleedin' obvious.
Amusing but not valid..
LCNLin

United States

#177400 Sep 15, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Straw-man fallacy

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#177401 Sep 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
A Church = religion. A God = Theist. You can have a religion without a God.
On the contrary... there are people who say that they are atheists who have decided to have a building that they call a church. That does not make atheism a religion, that means that the people who are wanting to have an atheist church have ignored the definition of religion and decided to do whatever it is that they want to do. No different than christian's making up their own rules, and branching off from Catholic, to church of christ, to baptist. The problem is that the definition of religion is completely contradictory to the definition of Atheism so anyone who tries to say that atheism is a religion is being clearly dishonest.

Location hidden

#177402 Sep 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
All of these Topix atheist regulars just flat never grew up. Emotionally they are all still stuck in their adolescence.
This is not true.

Location hidden

#177403 Sep 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you also believe that all Muslims are terrorists?

Location hidden

#177404 Sep 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min NoStress4me 65,025
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min Steve III 654,561
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 10 min X Pendable 183,228
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 28 min ffj 973,990
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Neville Thompson 281,971
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 1 hr Neville Thompson 521
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 hr Neville Thompson 45,314
More from around the web