Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258476 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#176789 Sep 8, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I hadn't heard about that, how awful. And people often ask, "Whats the harm of religion" I wonder how hight the number would be of people who have died as a direct result of religion. we could start with all the indigenous people who were killed because of the diseases the missionaries brought with them. Hitchens was right, "Religion poisons everything."
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a horrific thing to contemplate....and Hitch was right.
I read somewhere (a long time ago) that 97% of this country's indigenous population was wiped out...and more native Americans died of white men's disease that white men's bullets....another horror.
If you factor in that North American native cultures had not really discovered the "wonders" of alcohol? The numbers are even higher.

On the flip side, they **did** get a kind of Pyrrhic revenge in the form of tobacco-caused cancers...

... I suspect that all the dead would have happily traded that "revenge" for a longer chance at life, though.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#176790 Sep 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Jw6Pkj-nsDQXX
That isn't Buckethead, but another group that could invoke imagery. Takes almost a minute for the first song to crank up. Picture a raid by desert horsemen. The other songs are very good, too.
Thanks for the warning-- I'll be certain to give them a miss.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176791 Sep 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>98% of the population eats fried foods and McDonalds,because they prefer it doesn't make it healthy. They are just to stupid to understand the dangers, same as your pukebucket music, to stupid to know how juvenile it is.
I thought you were more intelligent than using an argument form popularity, guess not. 98% of the world-wie populate thought the earth was flat, they were WRONG...see I can do it to.
Other than that, when you can put together a coherent thought, let me know!!
<quoted text>
In addition before I do my morning chores.
Buckethead is the age of yours or mine eldest sons. He is a product of us and his peers. If you are a normal person you can hear the sounds of life in his songs, from mustang herds, Kansas storms, background noises at parks, and even the way his aunt talked. All incorporated into his compositions. He is a natural musical genius. His compositions resonate with people.
What do you have? The same old boring one and uh two and a uh three you were TRAINED was right and the only RIGHT music. Then like a tired ass old dinosaur you degrade him and others with talent you ain't got.
He can create imagery in your mind you can't come close to because you are so hidebound and antiquated.
You are a creature of the books you read, just like any fundie.
You make me want to puke.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =MAoQytXtL_QXX
Involving yourself in a conversation without information is just not a very intelligent thing to do. Commenting from ignorance is just plain stupid. You have NO idea what "I have" musically, none whatsoever. You comment on assumption with no information at all, how juvenile of you.
You throw around the word genius like it was common place. The term musical genius is reserved for the true giants of the musical world, not for some child with a whiteface and a KFC bucket over his head playing the most vapid, shallow music I have ever heard. I did listen to Mustang, it took a lot of patients, like watching paint dry, but I made it most of the way through. Here is what your "Genius" accomplished.
For 1.25 minutes he repeated the same three note rhythm over and over, occasionally he inserted a very weak three note melody over this rhy. There was no attempt at harmony, he used "power Chords" open fifths as his underlying harmony, really trite and boring. There was no form to this childish composition and no dynamic shadings to speak of. He eventually got into his "horsey" rhythm's and once again superimposed some lame ass melodies over it. Thats about it...No substance.....No fully formed melodies.....No form........NO harmonic scheme at all.......and extremely boring orchestration, no colors at all........And this is your "genius?" Boy your easy, your musical intellect is about as shallow as pukebuckets compositions.
You might want to take some Pepto for your stomach problems, I know that after listening to this musical pablum I'm going to need some.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#176793 Sep 8, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>because you can't understand it it's "lunatic logic>"....Too funny
98% keep producing babies?.........and that is pertinent to the conversation how????
Atheism has been around from the very first moment man exercised reason, logic, and skepticism. way before McDonalds.....are you ok.....you seem really out of sorts today, double check your meds ok!!!!!
98% is the "normal".

The "normal" is "right" from the evolutionary viewpoint. It is how we got here notwithstanding "Atheism has been around from the very first moment man exercised reason, logic, and skepticism. way before McDonalds".

I understand why you don't understand that.

You will think you were the first to exercise the above.

La Veta, CO

#176794 Sep 8, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Involving yourself in a conversation without information is just not a very intelligent thing to do. Commenting from ignorance is just plain stupid. You have NO idea what "I have" musically, none whatsoever. You comment on assumption with no information at all, how juvenile of you.
You throw around the word genius like it was common place. The term musical genius is reserved for the true giants of the musical world, not for some child with a whiteface and a KFC bucket over his head playing the most vapid, shallow music I have ever heard. I did listen to Mustang, it took a lot of patients, like watching paint dry, but I made it most of the way through. Here is what your "Genius" accomplished.
For 1.25 minutes he repeated the same three note rhythm over and over, occasionally he inserted a very weak three note melody over this rhy. There was no attempt at harmony, he used "power Chords" open fifths as his underlying harmony, really trite and boring. There was no form to this childish composition and no dynamic shadings to speak of. He eventually got into his "horsey" rhythm's and once again superimposed some lame ass melodies over it. Thats about it...No substance.....No fully formed melodies.....No form........NO harmonic scheme at all.......and extremely boring orchestration, no colors at all........And this is your "genius?" Boy your easy, your musical intellect is about as shallow as pukebuckets compositions.
You might want to take some Pepto for your stomach problems, I know that after listening to this musical pablum I'm going to need some.
Thank you very much for displaying the old fogey stuck in his training and perceptions wishing to impose his archaic sense of what is right and proper on subsequent generations I said you were.

You wish to squelch youth and advancement, and enslave them to YOUR training. Those youngin's are playing nature, you are playing strict accordance to the rules you were taught.

And you claim to be an atheist and a freethinker. And oh so hip. You would make a better fundie Baptist preacher. You missed your calling.

Tsk...

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#176795 Sep 8, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
No one does-- least of all Robert Stevens....
.... this is good that you realize this.
It means you are still sane.
:D
<laughing>
lol thanks Bob :-)

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#176796 Sep 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"So what is your view on scientism?"
You consider that a nonsensical question?
Very impressive something or other you have there.
Kitten's comments rarely have anything to do with reality. He used to claim the universe is all chaos and no order, but, then, that was part of the theme of his little cult he plays in. He's typical of males that refuse to grow up and face the real world. Too much time spent playing video games and indulging in perverted fantasies has rotted his brain.

La Veta, CO

#176797 Sep 8, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Kitten's comments rarely have anything to do with reality. He used to claim the universe is all chaos and no order, but, then, that was part of the theme of his little cult he plays in. He's typical of males that refuse to grow up and face the real world. Too much time spent playing video games and indulging in perverted fantasies has rotted his brain.
KK has been gone for a while, now.

Maybe on a trip out in the chaotic universe somewhere and can't get back home. The road washed out or something.

Location hidden

#176799 Sep 8, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
What's wrong with being gay? It's alot better than being a clown.
No,

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/201...

...it's not.

Location hidden

#176800 Sep 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
KK has been gone for a while, now.
Maybe on a trip out in the chaotic universe somewhere and can't get back home. The road washed out or something.
If KK/Alice/Tam is gone it's likely because he committed a probation violation.

La Veta, CO

#176801 Sep 8, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>If KK/Alice/Tam is gone it's likely because he committed a probation violation.
Tam has posted the last day or so.
Anon

Cleveland, OH

#176805 Sep 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Tam has posted the last day or so.
Oh, good lord. River Tam was Alice and she freely admitted she was. Alice was for whatever reason banned. KK is now in the gay/lesbian threads. Just Google "Kitten Koder Topix".

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#176806 Sep 8, 2013
Toby wrote:
<quoted text>
A person could ask God to be saved from a tornado, and if they luckily survive, they will automatically claim that the reason they survived was because God answers prayer. Yet wasn't this supposed God in control of the tornado in the first place? Could not have God just simply changed the course of the tornado long before it reached a populated area? If there were no humans on Earth at all wouldn't tornadoes and hurricanes still exist? If God is in control of nature why ask God to deviate from his own predestined plan, if God is in control of natural disasters why do people pray to the very source of the disaster, God could easily place the formation and paths of all tornadoes and hurricanes away from populated areas, that is if God is omnipotent. And if God is omnipresent then he apathetically stands by and watches thousands of people get murdered, raped, burned in fires and he watches them die from diseases and natural disasters, if God is omnipresent then with great indifference he watches while millions of people are slaughtered in wars and genocidal conflicts.
Not only is it claimed that this God knows the heinous events that will befall millions of humans, but he also is supposedly their watching it happen, has the power to change it but instead apathetically just watches it happen. To me ,people asking a God who is omnipotent and omnipresent to save them from a disease, natural disaster or dangerous circumstance, is the equivalent of asking a serial killer who is slaughtering your family to save you alone, and then when the serial killer who is in complete control allows that person to live , then they heap praises on that serial killer for being so loving and merciful.
With in my beliefs. The Earth does clean itself. The tragedies of natural disasters are just part of life. Souls choose to leave more perfect conditions.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176807 Sep 8, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>If I had a souls then I'm sure medical science would be able to find it. Like your God, this soul thing is only something imagined.
There are also books on voodoo and Astro projection, all sorts of books and claims. Do you know how to tell which ones have contents that are real? Thats right...science. So I think I'll pass on your voodoo and magic books and settle for something real, thanks anyways. And I'll take your non-answer on free will as accepting the fact that free will is impossible.
Read Michael Newton's Journey of Souls and Destiny of Souls. I can't say I have read what you suggest, but I am sure it offers more than Atheism.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176808 Sep 8, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
Xian god has been DISPROVED long time ago,
try to keep up
www.evilbible.com/Impossible.htm
<quoted text>
youre PATHOLOGICAL LIAR,,
Google it
I really do love that response. Thank you

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176809 Sep 8, 2013
<quoted text>
There is a word in Information Tech: GIGO.
Are you familiar with what it means?
Garbage In-----> Garbage Out.
"Documentation" of delusions does not make the delusions any less... delusional.
Seriously, it doesn't.
<quoted text>
See above. Delusions are not proof. Writing about delusions does not magically transform them into proof.
<quoted text>
Indeed-- brain damage is strong among the deeply religious.
The more religious they are? The more damaged their brains have become.
You are a border-line case, I suspect-- you can manage to function at a high level for most things.
But when it comes to religion? The damage becomes evident.
<quoted text>
See? The damage is strong when you write about your religion-- it even makes you write typographical mistakes.
Why?
BECAUSE YOU DARE NOT RE-EVALUATE YOUR FAITH VERY CLOSELY.
Or you would see how WRONG it really is...!
!!!
Amazing how that works, isn't it?
I'd take my delusion over you reality any day. Seriously all ready, why do you spread that crap, even it was true.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176810 Sep 8, 2013
<quoted text>
I have no idea who you were talking of-- but it's quite evident that you **hate**(or hated) him very, very much.
That is sad-- he likely never realized you even existed.
So your hate did him no harm at all-- it only eats away at YOU.
Making you into the bitter, hateful person you are today.
I must admit, though?
You haven't called me a filthy name in a day or so...
... hmmmm....
... you are slipping.
I won't I am happy you can't name him, I prefer it that way.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176811 Sep 8, 2013
<quoted text>
Indeed-- I agree: faith is **literally** eating away at your sanity.
Seriously---- every time you write about your faith?
The evil, ugly nature of that faith oozes through the cracks into the foreground.
Your brain damage is quite evident-- the **only** time you appear a little bit sane, is when you are NOT talking about your faith.
So you are likely correct.
That is your opinion, and while I accept it as you fact, in your world. The true statement should be, and this is by your standards. Every time you post some thing about your faith, you are going off topic. Perhaps you could suggest a topic tread that would be more towards your questioning. It's not as if I claimed fact. That is the claim that needs to be proven, your standard is backwards.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176813 Sep 8, 2013
<quoted text>
Yes. Your scathing tone. Your sarcasm. Your frequent use of ugly names for me.
Your patronizing attempt to make me appear less than human.
That is what I was writing of. You do it all the time-- it appears to be unconscious with you too.
That is sad-- you are so deeply into your hate, that you cannot even see when it surfaces!
<quoted text>
I have **no** beliefs-- not how **you** mean it.
I **do** have things I hold dear-- of which I've not written in several years.
I **used** to write what I thought was valuable--but the trash-talk from you True Believers™ showed me it just wasn't worth the bother.
You see: there are two kinds of faith:
Faith in things/events for which there is NO EVIDENCE
And faith in things/events for which there IS.
And your faith? Is pretty much all of the former, and little of the latter.
You are the one that claims to b less than human. I just take your word for it. I can't imagine claiming to have no beliefs and talking about it as frequently as you do. My opinion is, to have no beliefs, would include having no thoughts on the topic.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176814 Sep 8, 2013
<quoted text>
I'm not upset: I pity you.
I really do-- to harbor such hate for people you've never met, as you do?
That must make for a miserable life-- why ELSE would you delight at calling people filthy names?
Hmmmm?
Not true, I don't hate Atheist, I just don't want them to be "The Keepers of The Program." I am against them having political power. I think they would fold to populist power. It would be like the former Soviet Union. The message they spread really is bad also. It is no wonder their society are clearly Godless.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 2 min Travesty 59,977
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 30 min MOGADORE 994,072
News Data on Investors Obtained by Fraud (Jul '06) 40 min Picky 3
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr dogs of war 695,641
Where can I find good Colombian coffee in Boston? 4 hr Orion Spirit 2
Depressed girlfriend. DonÂ’t know what to do 4 hr MOGADORE 3
I accidentially swigged...some PEE!! 5 hr True 3
wierd situation with my mom. (Jul '14) Feb 19 Pimpy 23
More from around the web