Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 238465 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#176462 Sep 5, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The that sticks out here to me is this.
"Space and matter can't occupy the same volume."
What? Um "Space IS the volume" and matter occupies it or not.
But there is no space or any volume of it , we know of... not occupied by at least some matter . No matter how sparse the matter is.
Space is a volume not occupied by matter.

The space was created with the makings of matter.

Picture a stream of space forming a spinning ball. It has pi to deal with. The ball is bigger than the volume of the stream of space it is formed from. But it's axis pulls in other space on one pole and out the other. This forms matter and its combos.

Matter fluffs space up as it is formed, increasing volume. Expanding space. The motion of space bangs against the walls of what the universe was formed in, expanding the universe.

For space and matter to occupy the same "space", then "space" has to be a complete void. Then you will have no volume. No nothing.

It's a seed that turned into a plant. Or an embryo that is still growing.

Westcliffe, CO

#176463 Sep 5, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to adjust your intuitions because they are leading you away from the truth. Space is inside matter and matter exists in space. The 'source' is irrelevant.
<quoted text>
Oh, the ironies!
That space within matter is volume. You can measure it. Matter is like a web or a knit formed within the larger volume that space fills. Its like a foam.

Space is not a void. It is a something formed with the universe. It's a binder holding the universe together. You can't pop into a void. That is like blowing a soap bubble into deep space vacuum, only with less effect.

Westcliffe, CO

#176464 Sep 5, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Strange ideas and intuitions with no basis in reality. Such is Dave.
Intuitions were built into us since the universe began. We are made of it and its organization.

It is how we survived.

It has to be trained out of you.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#176465 Sep 5, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Ego rant noted.
As is your continued display of your hate for me-- your attempt to belittle me near the end is evidence of how much you hate me.
Sad, really.
You can't deny it, if you are right. That sucks. Thank God you are not.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176466 Sep 5, 2013
<quoted text>
So you are simply in it to display how much you hate?
Okay-- that certainly fits your style.
Your continued attempt to belittle me, as a person, is noted.
And is more evidence of how deep your hate for me is.
Sad.
Nothing hateful about it your comprehension skills are terrible. You should be happy about that. I think there is a chance you do have a soul, but you just fail to comprehend that. If I am right you have reason to celebrate. You've read my claims you know yourself, and are without a soul. Your response was normal calling me a hater. I think the same of you when you suggest it to me. But I do know otherwise.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176467 Sep 5, 2013
<quoted text>
More personal attack of me.
More proof of how deep your hate for me is.
Sad, really.
Really, you are too funny.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176468 Sep 5, 2013
<quoted text>
It's a hobby of mine-- so what?
All you do?
Is go on **personal** attack of **me**.
You **never****ever** attack my **ideas**...
... why?
Oh! Because you hate me so?
That seems to be it...
You are too much. Your ideas of God and The Universe sucks. You should be very happy you can't prove anything. You are more entertaining than the rest of your sort.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176469 Sep 5, 2013
<quoted text>
Not one argument in the above. Not one.
But lots and LOTS of HATE SPEECH-- nothing but personal attack and invective.
Your continued display of hate is astounding-- or it would be, if you were not already known as a hatecultist.
Sad, really.
<quoted text>
Ye, of poor reading comprehension, not only have I admitted I could give you no argument. I have pointed out to you the argument can not begin and why. I tell you we can't have the argument because we lack the knowledge for it, and you start bobbing. Little Red Bobbing Hood fits you so good.

Honestly your comprehension is worthy of satire.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176470 Sep 5, 2013
<quoted text>
As opposed to your continued display of how deeply you hate?
How is that an improvement?
The Gnostic Atheist did have a much better game than you guys have. They would not ask for arguments after I clearly proved we don't have enough information for an argument. The Gnostic Atheist grew bored with you clowns, ad I could see why.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176471 Sep 5, 2013
<quoted text>
Who cares what YOU think?
You have NO ARGUMENT. None.
But you do have lots of display of your seething hate for non-theists....
... sickening.
Than god I'm not a believer like YOU.
<sarcastic irony>
That' nice, I am just happy I don't host your thoughts and beliefs.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176472 Sep 5, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> If there is a religion within atheism ,I do not know about it. But it is true Stalin and others created pseudo-religions out of atheism, but those philosophies are far and away from the American boys around here. I just do not believe there is any evidence that rings true for your bible god to have ever existed. It is however a great way for the Jews to rule over your mind. And play you like a violin, which they have done expertly and are living off your tax money and Americas might, without America, Tel Aviv cannot exist. But can you truly tell me if Tel Aviv is a symbiont or is it a parasite? Riddle me this
Robert Stevens. Because I think its got it's claws in you and is sucking your blood, and giving nothing back. Guess why? Because you have bought into the book of lies.
We all have beliefs and most often because we buy into theories of a book. am assuming you are assuming my book of lies is The Bible. If so you are very wrong. If you respond to enough of my logs or post, and continue to insist I am a Christian. I have to mock your reading comprehension. I don't frown upon Christianity a you do, and I don't call anyone's book a book of lies. It is the book that is meant for THEM. In my opinion prior o the internet Atheism was a sort of religion of Philosophy. That was in their own admission, and in books of Philosophy. Great fans of Nietzsche, they took his words and perhaps found them inspiring. I could go on but why, I know you'll deny. You'd deny me my thoughts how could I believe you if you tell me that you don't have such thoughts. I can't see why Dave Nelson waste his time posting such long thought filled post.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#176473 Sep 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not true. I would never ever even consider trying to outdo you for bitchery.
Count on it;0)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#176474 Sep 5, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text>Critics have the Bible down as myth until proven true. The moderns were wrong on a number of assumptions including David and the non existence of certain locations mentioned in the New. They were wrong about the late dating of Go John. These are just a few things. It is the moderns who marginalize everyone and claim they are right including the Kings of Europe. They are just hostile towards Scripture and God depicted. Their only real interest is protecting their atheism. I don't know why you would consider my example a warning. Just saying by your standard of measure it may be measured out to you.
Modern history gives ancient documents the benefit of the doubt and has methods to glean information for historical purposes. You come in here, take a few cheap shots and then bug out. I don't see any substantial arguments coming from your posts. A lot of claims. You really don't have any to make. The Kings of Europe had some ulterior motive for example. Did you pull that one out from where the sun does not shine? Where is your evidence? Fact being they believed they came from Noah and you have nothing from history to counter except unfounded accusations. LOL!
There is no need to "protect" atheism, unlike theism, it stands on it's own without the various crutches, props, smoke and mirrors, etc.

Sure modern historians give ancient historians the benefit of a doubt, they don't declare it factual statement mind you. They take as truth, the truth that was accepted at the time....before the advancement of knowledge.

Ancient Kings, lol. Much like our world leaders of today, mouthing platitudes and watching out for mumero uno...themselves. They had a VESTED interest in proving some kind of divine heritage and not just Christianity.

Theists can easily spot the falsity of ancient Pharaohs claiming to be direct descendants of the son god Ra or today's politicians who beat their breasts much as the ancient Pharisees and get caught with their pants down - literally - on an every day basis. Yet, you seem fundamentally unable to look at yourselves in the mirror and see the ridiculous reality of your situation.

Oh well, religion is losing ground daily the world over....it will never die out completely....but it will dwindle down to an oddity that the majority shrugs and avoids.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#176475 Sep 5, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
It must be quite galling for religious people to see atheists like me going about their business without a shred of guilt or self-loathing, and not in the least inclined to pray or to do penance of any kind, and not in the slightest bit worried about any form of eternal punishment. I have to admit if I was religious I'd probably think to myself: "How come I've got all this weight on my shoulders while these bums are getting a free ride?" Condell
Love Pat Condell!

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#176476 Sep 5, 2013
DavidQuinn wrote:
Atheism requires no faith at all but I wish i had Jean-Paul sartre's attitude to religion, a man so thoroughly atheist he deemed the whole subject beneath his intelligence to consider. Simply religion is divisive and restricts us as a species, simple as that. Check out a book that's causing a bit of a buzz in the Uk called 2082 the chronicles of hope. On the website the 1st chapter for the 1st book is on there for free, there's a speech in there by an atheist politician that's genius
Sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out. TY!

“The King of R&R”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#176477 Sep 5, 2013
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Rational thought and logic are not strong points for you, are they?
Helmet + short yellow bus = Redoran
I know that is all you could say, good day!
Ale

Voorhees, NJ

#176478 Sep 6, 2013
you Already were an atheist how does being an atheist take faith...
Ale

Voorhees, NJ

#176479 Sep 6, 2013
you start off As an atheist before people tell you About whatever religion they told you..

little kids and babies are Atheist..
Ale

Voorhees, NJ

#176480 Sep 6, 2013
don't tell kids About god anymore to see if God reveals himself without your help..

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#176481 Sep 6, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>Take your argument to the United States government. The Churches of Atheism are respected as a religion in every detail. And you could make science a religion. Cut and dry. Period.
Have you read the definition of religion?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Stilgar Fifrawi 831,581
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 9 min MrWonderful6988 99,364
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 24 min Anthony MN 586,624
Was Adolf Hitler right after all? (Jun '10) 1 hr TommyEmilou14 17
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr bad bob 176,592
News Many Tennesseans remain opposed to same-sex unions 2 hr MamasDaddysKuzinsBro 3
Why are white people so insecure ? (Feb '10) 2 hr Whats up 61
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr TIM958 611,974
Why Im no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 hr Mr Wiggley 443,009
More from around the web