Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247394 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Mercury bubbles blast!”

Since: Mar 11

Mercury

#175898 Aug 30, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
Slavery was universal and far more cruel and inhumane then the regulated slavery depicted in the Old Testament.
Oh right - your "almighty, perfectly moral deity, the source of all human morality" wasn't capable of setting a better example. In your mind "God" just figured "well, I can do a little better, but I certainly can't share real morality with these people."
God depicted in Scripture always works withing the system to bring about results. Including slavery.
hahaha! So he's impotent at effecting change and yet you worship this "deity."
You have zero objective basis to condemn slavery and your problem is more the Bible than actual slavery. Slavery is just a means to rant at the Bible.
We have zero objective basis to condemn slavery???

Could you make a more repulsive statement? You think slavery is a moral goodness? Well, you must. After all your deity tried to make slavery better.

It's amazing that you will compromise your humanity, your morality, for this imagined being you so dearly love. I already gave you the argument from analogy - you know it would be awful to be a slave, but here you are, claiming we can't dare to say it's actually immoral and wrong.

You are right now arguing that slavery is acceptable. Your arguments mirror the arguments from Christian slavers throughout history.

Yes, your belief system is repulsive. No wonder it was used to justify slavery - and so many other atrocities.

“Mercury bubbles blast!”

Mercury

#175899 Aug 30, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> If you are going to make logically incoherent statements then you are going top be called on them.
My statement is logically sound. Yours are lacking.

I wrote that no one can is capable of objectivity. and you wrote:
lightbeamrider wrote:
Is your statement objective?
A stupid, misleading question because I wasn't talking about the objectivity of statements, but people. You are confusing truth statements in logical discussions with objectivity. I'm not surprised, given the paucity of your intellect.

Then you compound your error by confusing the statement with the person, along with confusing truth with objectivity again:
So your statement is subjective? Why believe you?
No one can be objective. The best we can do is use methodologies that are designed to remove observer bias - the tools of science.

Religion never does this. It's absolutely biased b/c its goal is not to produce knowledge, but to support a belief system. When all your energy is directed to supporting dogmatic belief systems, you are the furthest thing from objective that you can be.

We have wonderful examples of you explaining that slavery cannot be said to be objectively immoral above. That's false. We can logically demonstrate that slavery is immoral, based on the way in which I defined morality above - through the argument of analogy and the human rights to freedom and fulfillment.

It's telling you aren't capable of that, and worse that you claim our morality is derived from a deity that condones slavery. Nothing could be more despicable.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#175900 Aug 30, 2013
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>You are an idiot!
Mathematically proven debunked.
Violates the laws of science.
That position is not held in the mainstream.
Your source?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#175901 Aug 30, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Oh right - your "almighty, perfectly moral deity, the source of all human morality" wasn't capable of setting a better example. In your mind "God" just figured "well, I can do a little better, but I certainly can't share real morality with these people."
More ranting against a God you do not believe exists.
hahaha! So he's impotent at effecting change and yet you worship this "deity."
Not depicted as impotent. If you are going to rant against a God you do not believe exists then at least get the depiction right.
We have zero objective basis to condemn slavery???
If there is no God and there is no accountability to God then there is no rational objective basis to oppose slavery which carries any real weight. Slavery has historical precedent. It is part of human history and conforms with the laws of nature where the strong dominate the weak. I noticed you ignored Justin quote. No surprise there.
Could you make a more repulsive statement?
This is what i mean by emotional reactions from you. This has nothing to do with logic. Try to keep your emotions in check and look at things objectively, like a professional. Your emotional appeals come off as sophomoric.
You think slavery is a moral goodness?
No. It was a reality. There is different types. I would say your hypocrisy on the subject is a moral outrage.
Well, you must. After all your deity tried to make slavery better.
It's amazing that you will compromise your humanity, your morality, for this imagined being you so dearly love. I already gave you the argument from analogy - you know it would be awful to be a slave, but here you are, claiming we can't dare to say it's actually immoral and wrong.
Your argument from analogy is subjective. The argument from nature where the strong dominate the weak carries more weight. There is no reason to help the weak anymore than there is reason to outlaw legal abortion in a world without God. Both positions are equally valid. I have pointed this out. Please do try and keep up. Note taking might be helpful.
You are right now arguing that slavery is acceptable.
Your arguments mirror the arguments from Christian slavers throughout history.
And you agree with them. We have been through that. Southern slavery argued for the type in which slaves were considered extended family [according to your wiki source] and were treated humanely. They were allowed to marry, have children, attend church, a place to live. They were cared for in their old age. They were not mutilated as children for the purposes of sodomy as depicted in the Justin quote. They were not taken as children and forced into prostitution. The south argued for none of that since that would have been abuse of power. In a world without God you have no real objective argument to invalidate the law of nature argument where to strong dominate the weak.
Yes, your belief system is repulsive. No wonder it was used to justify slavery - and so many other atrocities.
Oh please. Today they are using poison gas in Syria. Atrocities do not need Biblical justification. Atrocities can be justified for any reason or no reason. A couple of kids killed an athlete because they were bored here is the USA. You simply don't like the Bible. Come clean and admit your hypocrisy.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#175902 Aug 30, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
<quoted text>
Old theology "cherry picked" as usual,
rather than a defense of the atheist religion.
Science is silent on atheism,
And the bible is very vocal on science.

“Mercury bubbles blast!”

Mercury

#175903 Aug 30, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
lightbeamrider wrote:
More ranting against a God you do not believe exists.
What part of "in your mind" do you fail to understand?
Not depicted as impotent. If you are going to rant against a God you do not believe exists then at least get the depiction right.
You quite clearly depicted the object of your worship as impotent, lacking power, unable to affect change.

The reality is that your deity is imagined. You therefore imbue its image with anything that will support your belief system as a person. Whatever LB thinks is ok, your imagined deity supports. Why? Because it's the product of your imagination.

And you'll do any number of mental gymnastics to keep your imagined deity a subjective reality for you. We saw that very clearly with your pathetic and immoral support of slavery.

So I have a challenge for you, LB. Go become a slave. Head off to Africa and demand that you be stripped of all your belongings so you can work alongside other slaves in the chocolate industry. Or New York or any brothel.

Tell us how uplifting and pleasant your life is afterwards, and don't forget to thank your ancient mythological text for describing the "better" ways in which slaves should be treated.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#175904 Aug 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
BTW, Hiding, you do not have any skin in this game of life. I believe you said you don't have children. You have created no hostages to the system you are trying to create. Let me say that adopted children are also not your legacy. Some will assume so to justify their selfish actions.
Lots more fun when you don't have those hostages. Your thoughts don't advance mankind, it is those babies that have to grow up in what you left. Trust their parents to be more careful with their changes than an ideologue.
Your ego won't let you see what you are doing.
With that, I am going to bed.
Stay there.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#175905 Aug 30, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if anyone says anything about me really. I've spoken to many people on here, but I usually don't have too much trouble :) I was confused by one of your sentences.... "We is you and that mouse in your pocket. You know yourself, you don't know me." What did this mean?
I wouldn't mind if you were complaining. I have complained about people on here many times.:) It's understandable even if you were.
It's very simple. The Atheist does know themselves, as does anyone else. When they say "We have no souls." It is correct. I am just not part of their we. I make no assumptions for you. They live without God. So be it.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175906 Aug 30, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Here? You reveal your true bigotry.
Classic.
Hypocrisy, I say. You would vote for a Atheist over a theist. My statement is based on political views. Why stop here Bob, let's call all straight line voters bigot.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175907 Aug 30, 2013
<quoted text>
**I** do not need convincing.
But you appear to need it very much... why?
I don't need any more convincing, however as I do have more time left. I do make some adjustments to my beliefs. If I did say yes period. You would not believe me any how. I don't get how you go on talking to someone you don't believe at all. You may as well get an empty chair like Clint Eastward did. It may even be more becoming.

The Borderland of Sol

#175908 Aug 30, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Hypocrisy, I say. You would vote for a Atheist over a theist. My statement is based on political views. Why stop here Bob, let's call all straight line voters bigot.
Wait, wait - you'd vote for somebody who's irrational over someone who's rational?

Weird.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175909 Aug 30, 2013
<quoted text>
I don't read 90% of your shytty posts, actually.
But you do demonstrate all the trappings of a True Believer™.
Which, naturally, includes a near-total ignorance of your **sole** basis for your faith-- the bible in all it's ugliness.
So this is hardly helping your case.
This is your main problem. You are more about maintaining your assumptions than you are about learning anything. If you want to learn about The Old Testament walk out that front door and find a Rabbi. They are nice and friendly people. He would make time to discuss this with you. I actually tell you. Not only am I not an expert, but The Bible is not part religion. I respect it as ancient writings. For us to post about it makes a mockery of both of us. You truly are the most closed minded person I have chatted with, as previously mentioned I would not be surprised if you have no friends waiting on the other side of that door.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175910 Aug 30, 2013
<quoted text>
Here? You demonstrate your own deceitful attitude-- you presume that **everyone** is as deceitful as **you**...
... interesting.
But anyone with a minor level of intelligence will easily see I am my own person, and blacklagoon is his own.
We don't sound remotely alike.
You assume again. I find it hard to believe both of you have such poor comprehension skills.

When I post. "You can not prove The universe was started with or without a creator" I give you reason a.------ reason b.------ and reason c. The answer is in the statement. "(You can't prove The Universe was started) with or without a creator"

The answer was as I showed you. You can't prove period, how The Universe was started. Even if you don't agree with that answer. Which I off course don't see how you can't, even Stephen Hawking, whom clearly would love to drive your point home states that. You are a waste of people's time for this reason.

That is why I believe you multi log on ID. No great plot, nothing against me or people you talk to. It is because you have built walls around yourself, and now you have too much time on hands. The great conspiracy is you need to go out.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175911 Aug 30, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Wait, wait - you'd vote for somebody who's irrational over someone who's rational?
Weird.
He brought it up, I really don't care. I just won't vote for worm meat.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175912 Aug 30, 2013
<quoted text>
Nothing you say above contributes to much of anything-- apart from you, whining.
Quantum Bob said "I m going to report this". Guess who brought this up. Then claimed they never do post offensively, I am just delivering the cheese for your wine. I have no problem pointing out you are soulless worm meat, and that is by YOUR very own admission. You are like the jealous person without the nice item.

The Borderland of Sol

#175913 Aug 30, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
He brought it up, I really don't care. I just won't vote for worm meat.
But a dead Jew on a stick makes the cut?

Sometimes I wonder about people.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175914 Aug 30, 2013
<quoted text>
But I read about only 10% of the crap **you** post.
You are mostly word-salad-- you write lots of fluff, and say ... pretty much nothing.
Your anti-evolution stance brands you as just another moronic True Believer™.
This post does bring home my points with you as a blogger. I don't think the anti-evolution crowd are morons. Maybe ignorant to facts. It is a case by case thing.

I never posted I don't believe there was evolution. In fact I made a post here saying I do believe in evolution, we evolved from fish, clearly. However along our trip to where we are now. I am sure we were never tree dwelling primates. Why people like yourself cling to this is beyond me. I don't know if you could be helped.

Westcliffe, CO

#175915 Aug 30, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You are being stupid. No one is objective. Anyone who claims an objective position is either lying, naive or unintelligent.
That means, according to you, everyone's credibility is "shot to hell."
It's not especially surprising that you would write stupid words, though, given your insanity.
<quoted text>
Education is an artificial intelligence is it now?
Where do you come up with this trash thinking?
<quoted text>
Your envy of education is palpable. Sorry, Dave, you're an ignoramus. What passes for knowledge for you means nothing to anyone else. It's worthless fiction that you think up all by yourself, you and your cigarettes.
Turn the O2 up old man. You're starved brain is spewing garbage again.
Man was thinking long before he got "educated". In fact, that is what led to "educating".

You are lazy. Was easier to let them pour their knowledge, and what they wanted you to think, into your skull, than to think. You just had the memory retention to deal with,

Your last many posts reveal that knee jerk intelligence. You appear to be in a confused period of your life as evinced by that knee jerk, autonomic response mechanism kicking in.

In one of your last posts you said the imagined God was impotent and unable to effect change inferring this was reason for it not existing. This reflects a weakness in thought on your part. The Biblical God kicked man out on his own, after giving him means to survive in the wilderness. It was up to man to make his own order out of chaos. This is like your idealized chaos and anarchy of today's progressive liberalism. Everybody get your phreak on. It is up to man to bring order out of that. God washed his hands a long time ago. He will just save the good parts.

You whine that Teacher isn't giving you enough personal attention.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175916 Aug 30, 2013
<quoted text>
The universe was an uncaused event.
Under Quantum Mechanics? Pretty much **everything** is uncaused at that level.
Since the entire universe is based on quantum mechanics? It's obviously not caused either.
That right there eliminates your Magic JuJu Beast who waves his wand and *poofs* the universe into being.
You should have the sense just to stop on the fact you can't prove how The Universe started. You did prove to me one thing. The Buddhist are correct "the most intelligent man says "I don't know""

May opening statement remains true.'The Human race can't prove there is no God until, the human race knows everything." Proving you wrong on the origin question by itself, is just one way to prove you wrong. I shouldn't have to go on. In your personal Universe Bob, you can't go further. You do know everything. I do believe you, you have co contact with God, and I agree with the further details of your Atheism. It is just yours though. Others have the same style and results but that is still just theirs. You seek the oldest religious destination "Where all is one, and one is all" No question in my mind not only are you a religious person, but you are a fanatic seeking fundamentalist results.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175917 Aug 30, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>But a dead Jew on a stick makes the cut?
Sometimes I wonder about people.
Why can't you see it as the greatest mythological story of all time, and appreciate the positive lessons learned from the story? You compete with it instead of letting it be and taking it in. One might say it was part of nature. I have heard atheist talk of it as such.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 min Buck Crick 879,224
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min RoSesz 603,260
Is the problem of groping in India over exagger... (Jan '11) 20 min Keny 492
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 27 min Pegasus 272,890
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 55 min -Stray Dog 8,064
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Neville Thompson 41,146
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... (Feb '15) 1 hr Neville Thompson 998
The Christian Atheist debate 2 hr feces for jesus 3,850
More from around the web