Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 253525 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#175878 Aug 29, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Stop the moralizing. It is sickening.
<quoted text> Stop distorting my posts. Either that or work on your comprehension. Slavery is regulated which is far different than supported. <quoted text> More sickening moralizing. God lets us go our own way and deal with the consequences. Its not all that difficult to understand. You haven't answered anything. More shucking and jiving. Anyways, it is my night off and i do not intend to spend it here. You need to work long hours with a lot of people and come home exhausted, dirty, hungry' and with sore feet. Best thing for you really. Being productive and working hard. It might improve your social skills. Learn how to deal with people face to face. All kinds of people. Get out and be productive.
Hey, I know a guy who can get you a few slaves.

How much are you willing to pay for a strong, young, productive one who's willing to work long hours and come home exhausted and dirty and hungry and with sore feet?

Of course, I would require a commission.

What do you say--shall we deal?
Bongo

Coram, NY

#175879 Aug 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
BTW, Hiding, you do not have any skin in this game of life. I believe you said you don't have children. You have created no hostages to the system you are trying to create. Let me say that adopted children are also not your legacy. Some will assume so to justify their selfish actions.
Lots more fun when you don't have those hostages. Your thoughts don't advance mankind, it is those babies that have to grow up in what you left. Trust their parents to be more careful with their changes than an ideologue.
Your ego won't let you see what you are doing.
With that, I am going to bed.
Bravo, great posts

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#175880 Aug 29, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
You just don't notice they never take my word for anything I say. You might catch a slight attitude. I find this worse than my insults such as they are without soul. Question for you. Don't they say the same thing about you. Much of what I do post here is "We is you and that mouse in your pocket. You know yourself, you don't know me.' In fact if you really read our exchange. They either don't know me after I tell them about my self, or they think I am Walter Mitty. Please don't think I am complaining. You brought this up. I am just saying. The truth is what they think does suck. Why they do not take people for their word. It's because they are built that way. They are that dishonest.
I don't know if anyone says anything about me really. I've spoken to many people on here, but I usually don't have too much trouble :) I was confused by one of your sentences.... "We is you and that mouse in your pocket. You know yourself, you don't know me." What did this mean?

I wouldn't mind if you were complaining. I have complained about people on here many times.:) It's understandable even if you were.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#175881 Aug 29, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
You go way too far. I just don't think Atheist should have any leadership positions. I really don't care at all if they are there.
Here? You reveal your true bigotry.

Classic.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#175882 Aug 29, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep telling yourself that and maybe one day you will believe it.
**I** do not need convincing.

But you appear to need it very much... why?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#175883 Aug 29, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Again it's on my background, and I have not claimed to be Christian. I even posted very non-Christian beliefs I have. I don't think you really follow a conversation, you just include others in one you have played out in your head. Yet, you'd call others delusional. AND, BY NO MEANS HAVE I CLAIMED TO BE A BIBLE EXPERT.
I don't read 90% of your shytty posts, actually.

But you do demonstrate all the trappings of a True Believer™.

Which, naturally, includes a near-total ignorance of your **sole** basis for your faith-- the bible in all it's ugliness.

So this is hardly helping your case.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#175884 Aug 29, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
BlackLagoon the topic is "Atheism requires as much proof as religion?" You have to be Quantum Bob posing as another log on user. I bet you two pop up on many treads together. I wouldn't be surprised if you have about 5 log on IDs
Here? You demonstrate your own deceitful attitude-- you presume that **everyone** is as deceitful as **you**...

... interesting.

But anyone with a minor level of intelligence will easily see I am my own person, and blacklagoon is his own.

We don't sound remotely alike.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#175885 Aug 29, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I just don't get why you don't take people's word for what they say. Again this reflects upon you more than those you judge. I recall you got excited about my dong in a 3 piece suit comment. Which BTW, I find to be true. And you found to be very offensive and you claim you never posted anything that offensive. it is my opinion your lack of believe of what people straight out tell you, is more offensive than your beliefs suck, and I do feel bad for those that it is true for, but by no means spread it.
Nothing you say above contributes to much of anything-- apart from you, whining.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#175886 Aug 29, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
You're talking. You don't even know I am not a Christian after I told you several times and posted comments that make it very clear, I am not a Christian. Seriously your reading comprehension sucks. I do read what you post. It does over look what is the question asked. You can't prove and in a few post I'll explain why. And, I do mean the word can't.
But I read about only 10% of the crap **you** post.

You are mostly word-salad-- you write lots of fluff, and say ... pretty much nothing.

Your anti-evolution stance brands you as just another moronic True Believer™.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#175887 Aug 29, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
Ok QUANTUM BOB here goes your answer, on why you CAN"T PROVE there was no creator of the universe. You can't prove how The Universe was started. No one could. People have been working on this for many years. The Big Bang Theory is just that, a theory. Respected good guess, that triggered off many spin offs. Even ideas shared that there was a big bang but it was not the very beginning. Until you could prove the beginning you can't prove details of the beginning. And again, I know you can't do that period. How you did not pick out this was that I was leading to is beyond me.
The universe was an uncaused event.

Under Quantum Mechanics? Pretty much **everything** is uncaused at that level.

Since the entire universe is based on quantum mechanics? It's obviously not caused either.

That right there eliminates your Magic JuJu Beast who waves his wand and *poofs* the universe into being.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#175888 Aug 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
You are missing an important sociological factor in the trade versus slavery. Very important. Concerns how man spread out.
Sorry, Hiding, you not objective, just like you said. Therefore your credibility is shot to hell.
You are being stupid. No one is objective. Anyone who claims an objective position is either lying, naive or unintelligent.

That means, according to you, everyone's credibility is "shot to hell."

It's not especially surprising that you would write stupid words, though, given your insanity.
Any native intelligence you had has been buried by the substitute artificial intelligence that replaced it. Your education.
Education is an artificial intelligence is it now?

Where do you come up with this trash thinking?
You have been programmed by it to proselytize the farming of humans is good. There is no difference between you and a newly minted Baptist preacher out of seminary school. And just as hypocritical.
When man got to a certain point in population competition for food and living became much cheaper than owning slaves. The more competition, and the cheaper it gets. Hence much of this social activism and globalization of today. It is cheaper to hire an immigrant off the boat than to buy and feed a human being. They can also be disposed of more easily for economic concerns.
That is human economics, not deity.
Enjoy those drinks and perks that go with your position, you are earning them by planting seeds in the heads of your fellow humans that will make them little more than robots. You have yours in this struggle. Enjoy it. The rest will all turn to dust anyhow. Which someone will make money off of,too. Cradle to grave managed life.
Your envy of education is palpable. Sorry, Dave, you're an ignoramus. What passes for knowledge for you means nothing to anyone else. It's worthless fiction that you think up all by yourself, you and your cigarettes.

Turn the O2 up old man. You're starved brain is spewing garbage again.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#175889 Aug 30, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be silly. I am disgusted in how willfully ignorant you, and people like you are. Your deities are your personal, imagined beings. They don't exist apart from you.
I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm writing to you and not to the thing of your worship. It's not real, so it couldn't read my words or respond.
<quoted text>
Self-reflexivity is not about putting clothing on...
<sigh>
<quoted text>
Quite clearly you feel the need to defend your image of "God" and polish it shiny, forcibly re-interpreting the OT to produce a clean, moral and all-loving image.
<quoted text>
1. You're confused.
2. I'm pointing out to you that your deity cannot be the source of all human morality. How "God" is imagined changes throughout time and history and depends on cultural context.
3. When slavery was widespread, the Bible was used to support slavery. The OT depicts a deity who clearly endorses slavery and is, in no way, opposed to it.
4. Yet you claim that now the deity is against slavery, and you point out that the Bible was also used to argue against slavery (thank you, Quakers).
5. Clearly, you fail to understand that your personal beliefs are the product of late 20th century Christianity and Western history up to that point. You fail to realize how very different Christians in different centuries "knew" and "experienced" God and that they were very, very different from you.
6. "God" and Christianity are not constants. They are products of human culture. Your deity is a socially constructed being. It does not exist apart from you. You have been trained to interpret experience such that for you "God exists - not unlike believers in all other religions experiencing their deities.
< carefully bends left knee >

genuflects

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#175890 Aug 30, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Genius.
Thanks.

I know.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#175891 Aug 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are missing an important sociological factor in the trade versus slavery. Very important. Concerns how man spread out.
Sorry, Hiding, you not objective, just like you said. Therefore your credibility is shot to hell.
Any native intelligence you had has been buried by the substitute artificial intelligence that replaced it. Your education. You have been programmed by it to proselytize the farming of humans is good. There is no difference between you and a newly minted Baptist preacher out of seminary school. And just as hypocritical.
When man got to a certain point in population competition for food and living became much cheaper than owning slaves. The more competition, and the cheaper it gets. Hence much of this social activism and globalization of today. It is cheaper to hire an immigrant off the boat than to buy and feed a human being. They can also be disposed of more easily for economic concerns.
That is human economics, not deity.
Enjoy those drinks and perks that go with your position, you are earning them by planting seeds in the heads of your fellow humans that will make them little more than robots. You have yours in this struggle. Enjoy it. The rest will all turn to dust anyhow. Which someone will make money off of,too. Cradle to grave managed life.
<The Dave Nelson> "And besides, I'm clinically insane...WHO STOLE MY PING PONG BALLS!?"

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#175892 Aug 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
BTW, Hiding, you do not have any skin in this game of life. I believe you said you don't have children. You have created no hostages to the system you are trying to create. Let me say that adopted children are also not your legacy. Some will assume so to justify their selfish actions.
Lots more fun when you don't have those hostages. Your thoughts don't advance mankind, it is those babies that have to grow up in what you left. Trust their parents to be more careful with their changes than an ideologue.
Your ego won't let you see what you are doing.
With that, I am going to bed.
<The Dave Nelson> " WAIT!..WHERE DID MY CHIN GO...!? Oh, never mind, the video cam was pointed at my belly..."
EXPERT

Redding, CA

#175893 Aug 30, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
The universe was an uncaused event.
Under Quantum Mechanics? Pretty much **everything** is uncaused at that level.
Since the entire universe is based on quantum mechanics? It's obviously not caused either.
That right there eliminates your Magic JuJu Beast who waves his wand and *poofs* the universe into being.
You are an idiot!

Mathematically proven debunked.

Violates the laws of science.

That position is not held in the mainstream.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#175894 Aug 30, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You are being stupid. No one is objective.
Is your statement objective?
Anyone who claims an objective position is either lying, naive or unintelligent.
So your statement is subjective? Why believe you?

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#175895 Aug 30, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
Is your statement objective? <quoted text> So your statement is subjective? Why believe you?
Is the best you can do word-play? Is that your best? So far you've been unable to dismiss that both the Christian religion and how people experience and interpret the Christian deities change throughout history and culture.

I'm starting to think the above is what constitutes high debate from you.

Location hidden

#175896 Aug 30, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I feel your frustration.
Not frustrated.
This issue forces you to face a daunting choice. No matter the issue, it's the same choice many of us have had to face. You can hide behind waffling self-affirming rationalization,
What rationalization?
It's either the Word of God, or it's the word of man.
Not the choice.
The word of man would do something eerily similar to your position, e.g., "Slavery is regulated...", and, "God lets us go our own way and deal with the consequences."
Regulated for the benefit of the slave/servant. If you believe the Bible supports or approves of slavery, abuse of slave then make your case.
Did you spend one moment to consider what you've proposed? I think not. You've used some innocuous, generic pronouns - "us" and "our" - and they provide comforting cover from the reality hidden behind them. These are living, breathing humans behind those faceless pronouns. "Us" can be those that enslave their brothers, and "we" are those who are blessed to live in misery, and die, as "consequence". Could there be a more horrid example of the injustice of your God's apparent lassitude?
More moralizing and God blaming. Just can't grasp the concept.
The Word of a transcendent God would, please God, rise above human feckless foibles and false flatteries. It would demand that humanity look up, not sideways. It would surely set a bar above that which we can easily and falsely prescribe for ourselves. It would, please God, be the epitome of justice and goodwill.
The Word of a transcendent God would not flaccidly accept and deign to "regulate" man's weaknesses and injustices. It would not ask us to worship that which accepts and "regulates" our own craven inability to rise above our own venal inhumanity.
By your own tacit admission above, for all it's lofty claims, the Bible does not rise above the level of man. Word of God? Many hope surely not.
Stop crying like a bitch. You select quoted from one of my posts and ignored others which would have added context. Like this.
I have no problem with God depicted. I do not find Him repulsive nor do i blame God for things we bring on ourselves especially when He warns us in advance. I do find it bizarre folks like you find slavery as depicted in Scripture so repulsive while you practically ignore it everywhere else. Justin addresses a despicable type in His first apology 27
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/richardson/fathers.x ...
Slavery was universal and far more cruel and inhumane then the regulated slavery depicted in the Old Testament. Corporal punishment was a normal form of punishment in the ancient world. You are unbelievable hypocrites when you whine about slavery depicted in the Bible, besides that most are biblical illiterates. They don't know what they are talking about and really don't want to learn anything. God depicted in Scripture always works withing the system to bring about results. Including slavery. You have zero objective basis to condemn slavery and your problem is more the Bible than actual slavery. Slavery is just a means to rant at the Bible.

Location hidden

#175897 Aug 30, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the best you can do word-play? Is that your best? So far you've been unable to dismiss that both the Christian religion and how people experience and interpret the Christian deities change throughout history and culture.
I'm starting to think the above is what constitutes high debate from you.
If you are going to make logically incoherent statements then you are going top be called on them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
JNS Impex Exporter of pharmaceuticals, and Gene... (Apr '11) 24 min Mione 3
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 35 min Hidingfromyou 950,816
Poll What's the best way to meet women if you're shy? (Aug '08) 36 min 1212abc 47
rajkot to chotila gey sex 39 min botam 11
Gay sex in raigarh (Jun '15) 47 min rocks 308
sexy girl want to Skype fun Skype: dilinazi20 (Apr '15) 1 hr shaik_ajad 32
watch last movies on high quality 1 hr souguir91 1
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr MUQ2 14,355
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Peace_Warrior 615,850
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr marge 627,619
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr AussieBobby 278,440
More from around the web