Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239046 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#175833 Aug 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
For a supposed objective scientist and detached observer of the human animal condition you sure do moralize a lot. Maybe you are bipolar.
Cultural anthropologist, eh?
The economic benefit of slaves kept many alive after wars. This allowed for the infusion of new genes. The economic benefit of slaves also led to the outright procurement of them instead of just results of conflict. This, too, allowed for the infusion of new genes. Slavery was just a class designation within a society. Slaves didn't arise from the local families, so had no social standing, but they did add to and became part of the society. Many had very high educations to manage complex social orders such as large estates. They also intermarried with the base society infusing new genes in the local pool.
Widespread slavery arose from farming. Hunter gatherers would snatch a few individuals from other tribes, but it tool agriculture to make it wholesale.
It's just the way things developed. There was no moral imperative against it. There were laws and religious instruction regarding their treatment, though, which later became "morals". You jumped the gun moralizing God.
But here, as a cultural anthropologist, a savior of mankind, you are missing one of the most important developments in the social history of mankind. The farming of man by man. It has really accelerated in recent decades as the population has grown so much. Thoughts, morals, religious views, and all of those things are being created to manage the estate of the hidden wealthy. This is done via "education", and you are a talented slave to the system helping to manage it. You are turning people into machines performing a function, not individuals with thoughts and ideas of their own. You are cheating people out of their personal experiences and choices. You want the only rewards they get for existing to be what you say they should consider as rewards. Getting drunk or stoned, watching the latest movie or visiting the latest tourist destination. And to always obey their masters, those more "educated" than them.
You should be ashamed of yourself.
Until you've prove n your creationist god, your opinions are worthless.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#175834 Aug 29, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Until you've prove n your creationist god, your opinions are worthless.
Until you display signs of intelligence, you are worthless.

You have a few years to go. Best of luck to you.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#175835 Aug 29, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I know-- your gullibility is almost as great as your seething hatred for all non-believers.
You once wrote that you'd see all non-believers murdered.
I've told him to bring his friends and pack lunch. That's gonna be a looooooong day.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#175840 Aug 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
For a supposed objective scientist and detached observer of the human animal condition you sure do moralize a lot. Maybe you are bipolar.
Sounds like she is enhancing her resume. Either way she has too much time on her hands. Scientist and detached my ass.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#175841 Aug 29, 2013
I'll get pack to responding to post after my nap and evening work out. Two people I have to address.

1. Quantum Bob. You nearly killed me last night your post were just that funny. Om my God and for your goodness.

2. T.Town Clown You have to read the post at Atheism and Homosexuals. Nothing is funnier than reading atheist argue amongst themselves. These bloggers are priceless.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#175842 Aug 29, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>here is one for you Bob (_!_)
I see a pattern with you-- you appear to be obsessed with your own rear end.

... hmmmm....

... clearly, you are just a closeted homosexual.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#175843 Aug 29, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I've told him to bring his friends and pack lunch. That's gonna be a looooooong day.
Sadly, you are correct.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#175844 Aug 29, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
I'll get pack to responding to post after my nap and evening work out. Two people I have to address.
1. Quantum Bob. You nearly killed me last night your post were just that funny. Om my God and for your goodness.
You are welcome for the educational material.

Sadly, it appears that your ability to learn has been completely clogged by your extreme delusions(faith).

Oh well.
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#175845 Aug 29, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh?
His not telling you about his US neo=-Malthusian Castrophe agendas. eVIL IS HE AND HIS FELLOW CORRUPTED !
xianity is EVIL

Tecumseh, Canada

#175846 Aug 29, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
IF the Perfect One couldnt keep up,it would NOT be PERFECT now would it!
you simpletons are quite amusing LLL
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not all ways perfect to keep up. The non souled atheist do have a purpose. I suggest the dying down of The Human Race. He may see us as the bullies that will pollute The Universe as we do Earth. We may die off, but we will be replaced.
now youre getting it,,we will all die off,you included,,

next generation will no doubt be more rational then your religious simpletons..thnx to atheists who know this is only lifes we have,,,and only heaven we can ever have is to create it here on Earth

belief in souls and afterlife is what Devalues human life,,and should be discarded like all the other silly supertitions..
xianity is EVIL

Tecumseh, Canada

#175849 Aug 29, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Some times some one just won't get it. What does God need with a Starship? God does not need, but spirits and deities do. If you don't get it, I can't help you.
You need to prove spirits deities exist first,,,good luck

Location hidden

#175850 Aug 29, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
How naive a statement from you. I don't believe in your deity.
It is a valid observation given the content of your posts. You despise a God you do not believe exists and then deny you do which is typical of Topix atheists.
I'm repulsed by your lack of reflexive thought in choosing to worship the deity described by the OT and NT. I mean "reflexive" and not "reflective" in case you look the word up.
So it is not God but me for some reason having to do with reflexive and yes i do dress myself. I have no problem with God depicted. I do not find Him repulsive nor do i blame God for things we bring on ourselves especially when He warns us in advance. I do find it bizarre folks like you find slavery as depicted in Scripture so repulsive while you practically ignore it everywhere else. Justin addresses a despicable type in His first apology 27
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/richardson/fathers.x...
27. That we may avoid all injustice722 and impiety, we have been taught that to expose the newly born is the work of wicked men—first of all because we observe that almost all [foundlings], boys as well as girls, are brought up for prostitution. As the ancients are said to have raised herds of oxen or goats or sheep or horses in their pastures, so now [you raise children] just for shameful purposes, and so in every nation a crowd of females and hermaphrodites and doers of unspeakable deeds are exposed as public prostitutes. You even collect pay and levies and taxes from these, whom you ought to exterminate from your civilized world.723 And anyone who makes use of them may in addition to [the guilt of] godless, impious, and intemperate intercourse, by chance be consorting with his own child or relative or brother. Some even prostitute their own children and wives, and others are admittedly mutilated for purposes of sodomy, and treat this as part of the mysteries of the mother of the gods—while beside each of those whom you think of as gods a serpent is depicted as a great symbol and mystery. You charge against us the actions that you commit openly and treat with honor, as if the divine light were overthrown and withdrawn—which of course does no harm to us, who refuse to do any of these things, but rather injures those who do them and then bring false witness [against us].
And you rant against slavery in the Bible and ignore this???

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#175851 Aug 29, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> It is a valid observation given the content of your posts. You despise a God you do not believe exists and then deny you do which is typical of Topix atheists.
We "despise" your god in the **exact** same way that **you** despise The Big Bad Wolf.

That is to say, not at all-- neither is real.

Location hidden

#175852 Aug 29, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
How immoral.
Stop the moralizing. It is sickening.
No, I agree with you - slavery is supported in the Bible b/c it provides clear guidelines on how to treat slaves.
Stop distorting my posts. Either that or work on your comprehension. Slavery is regulated which is far different than supported.
No perfectly moral deity would ever write such utter immoral trash.
More sickening moralizing. God lets us go our own way and deal with the consequences. Its not all that difficult to understand. You haven't answered anything. More shucking and jiving. Anyways, it is my night off and i do not intend to spend it here. You need to work long hours with a lot of people and come home exhausted, dirty, hungry' and with sore feet. Best thing for you really. Being productive and working hard. It might improve your social skills. Learn how to deal with people face to face. All kinds of people. Get out and be productive.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#175853 Aug 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
I've repeatedly explained that I am not objective. Maybe you're forgetful.
The economic benefit of slaves kept many alive after wars. This allowed for the infusion of new genes. The economic benefit of slaves also led to the outright procurement of them instead of just results of conflict. This, too, allowed for the infusion of new genes. Slavery was just a class designation within a society. Slaves didn't arise from the local families, so had no social standing, but they did add to and became part of the society. Many had very high educations to manage complex social orders such as large estates. They also intermarried with the base society infusing new genes in the local pool.
Wow. Totally and utterly immoral of you - and Social Darwinist. And stupid. Two differing populations that enjoy economic trade also engage in cross-cultural marriages and, what seems to be important to your limited views, admixture of genes.

You don't need slavery to have gene flow, oh insane one.
Widespread slavery arose from farming. Hunter gatherers would snatch a few individuals from other tribes, but it tool agriculture to make it wholesale.
It's just the way things developed. There was no moral imperative against it. There were laws and religious instruction regarding their treatment, though, which later became "morals". You jumped the gun moralizing God.
No. If Christians believe their deity is perfect, the source of all morality and lives outside of time, then it's statements on slavery very obviously expose those beliefs as silly.

Please try to follow the discussion instead of turn it into another Dave-fantasy.
But here, as a cultural anthropologist, a savior of mankind, you are missing one of the most important developments in the social history of mankind. The farming of man by man. It has really accelerated in recent decades as the population has grown so much. Thoughts, morals, religious views, and all of those things are being created to manage the estate of the hidden wealthy. This is done via "education", and you are a talented slave to the system helping to manage it. You are turning people into machines performing a function, not individuals with thoughts and ideas of their own. You are cheating people out of their personal experiences and choices. You want the only rewards they get for existing to be what you say they should consider as rewards. Getting drunk or stoned, watching the latest movie or visiting the latest tourist destination. And to always obey their masters, those more "educated" than them.
You should be ashamed of yourself.
You should be ashamed of yourself for supporting slavery.

And your senseless babble about anthropology is meaningless. Perhaps turn up the O2?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#175854 Aug 29, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
<quoted text>
Old theology "cherry picked" as usual,
rather than a defense of the atheist religion.
Science is silent on atheism,
The atheist inference is supported by scientific evidence.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#175855 Aug 29, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Sounds like she is enhancing her resume. Either way she has too much time on her hands. Scientist and detached my ass.
Wow someone is upset that they can't produce a defensible logical position.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175856 Aug 29, 2013
<quoted text>
The **only** thing changed?
Is a GODLESS and SECULAR based government-- the Constitution.
It **prohibits** murdering people because they do not comply with religious faith.
I bet you **hate** that.
You go way too far. I just don't think Atheist should have any leadership positions. I really don't care at all if they are there.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#175857 Aug 29, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
Stop the moralizing. It is sickening.
Why, because you are supporting the claims of slavers?
Stop distorting my posts. Either that or work on your comprehension. Slavery is regulated which is far different than supported.
Regulating slavery is supporting it.

Your argument stupidly goes like this:

"It turns out we have forced child labor. We better regulate the industry rather than stop child labor."
More sickening moralizing. God lets us go our own way and deal with the consequences. Its not all that difficult to understand. You haven't answered anything. More shucking and jiving.
It's amazing that you entirely fail to understand how illogical you are being by claiming that a deity who supports slavery is the source of all human morality.
Anyways, it is my night off and i do not intend to spend it here. You need to work long hours with a lot of people and come home exhausted, dirty, hungry' and with sore feet. Best thing for you really. Being productive and working hard. It might improve your social skills. Learn how to deal with people face to face. All kinds of people. Get out and be productive.
I'm more charismatic than you are capable of.

:)

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175858 Aug 29, 2013
<quoted text>
It's been proven already. The present universe is uncaused.
No need of a creator at all.
Finis.
Keep telling yourself that and maybe one day you will believe it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min truth 589,468
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Tide with Beach 837,290
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 22 min MUQ2 271,277
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 26 min MUQ2 429
Why do we live life when we have to die anyway? (Jul '13) 1 hr Aftab Alam 190
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Peace_Warrior 612,145
sex (May '13) 1 hr Radhe 155
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 2 hr Rosa_Winkel 4,160
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr lisw 176,826
More from around the web