Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#175413 Aug 24, 2013
DavidQuinn wrote:
Atheism requires no faith at all but I wish i had Jean-Paul sartre's attitude to religion, a man so thoroughly atheist he deemed the whole subject beneath his intelligence to consider. Simply religion is divisive and restricts us as a species, simple as that. Check out a book that's causing a bit of a buzz in the Uk called 2082 the chronicles of hope. On the website the 1st chapter for the 1st book is on there for free, there's a speech in there by an atheist politician that's genius
Stop spamming.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#175414 Aug 24, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Months ago I would have parsed that. I mean, I still see the sentences. They stand out. It's not easy being nice, Dave.
That was a cool story. I'd like to hear more.
Up until then I was a happy drinker. Friendly, didn't go in with an attitude, and I had been in some rough places. Could sit and talk with anyone about anything. Never had any problems.

But that made me mean. Had to start going to nice places with pianos. Had to nurse my drinks. Bartenders got mad at me because of lost tips. If they had tits they got nice ones before I left, though.

But the thrill was gone. It wasn't fun anymore. I had lost my innocence. I started going to bowling alleys when on the road. Got good at it. My average was something like 270-280 raw. Bowled a 299 once. That was a cliffhanger. Caused me to go out and buy my own shoes and ball with ideations of going pro. But other things got in the way.

Wound up smoking dope to ease the pain caused by that Boston as*hole.

Goddamned Boston as*holes.

I hear that goddamned accent and I want to beat the hell out of them.

How was that?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#175415 Aug 24, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Some believers have higher I.Q. scores. My cousin is an example of a poorly educated atheist. He quit school to pursue his interest in partying, burning out more brain cells in the process. He denied the existence of God for years. After several years of mental health problems and a few hospitalizations, he wasn't any closer to a positive example of academic achievement. He had to apply for Social Security Disability, which is hardly a six-figure income.
Your statement is really nothing more than a carefully crafted superiority complex, and reveals a very superficial and linear understanding of theological concepts. You seem to have an aptitude for science, math, and music, but that could also be an indicator of
autism. It's well known that people with a sensory handicap such as blindness often develop a more highly developed sense of hearing and/or smell to compensate. In a likewise manner, some people with a "spiritual handicap" attempt to compensate for it with academic studies. Academic and intellectual achievement is a wonderful thing, but only until the point is reached where a person feels "superior" over others. At that point, humility itself is handicapped and crushed to death under the weight of self absorption.
Ahhh, no. As a general rule the better educated are likely to have better paying jobs. Also, the better educated are less likely to believe in a supernatural deity. One has nothing to do with the other, only a reflection on education levels.(Although the smarter among us are more likely to pursue academia).

Whether or not a person feels superior or humble has nothing to do with any of the above. There's always someone higher on the ladder to success and always somebody lower.

Grow some perspective, please.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#175416 Aug 24, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
True Mr Quantum man, but that is just you in your universe. Your universe is true to you, and you only. Amen to that. It is clear it sucks to be you why wish it upon others.
Because we took a vote and absolutely NOBODY wants to be like you ;0) But we like Poly, so......

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#175417 Aug 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Up until then I was a happy drinker. Friendly, didn't go in with an attitude, and I had been in some rough places. Could sit and talk with anyone about anything. Never had any problems.
But that made me mean. Had to start going to nice places with pianos. Had to nurse my drinks. Bartenders got mad at me because of lost tips. If they had tits they got nice ones before I left, though.
But the thrill was gone. It wasn't fun anymore. I had lost my innocence. I started going to bowling alleys when on the road. Got good at it. My average was something like 270-280 raw. Bowled a 299 once. That was a cliffhanger. Caused me to go out and buy my own shoes and ball with ideations of going pro. But other things got in the way.
How was that?
It was good, Dave.

I'm not a critic, anymore. If you have a story to tell, tell it.

It's Topix. It's not like anybody is going to believe you, right?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#175418 Aug 24, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
The above is in no way a valid counter-argument to Polymath's statements.
Fail.
Ahhh, but he has no counter-argument much less a valid point. Much like a child on a playground who thinks taunts are a sufficient answer. Tsk, tsk ;0)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#175419 Aug 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
BINGO!!
I have posted about waking up in my death experience. This was after my physical consciousness, what we call our day to day thinking, had checked out and no viable way to continue had been presented. There was then an awakening in another dimension and consciousness, and a very strong desire to go back to sleep and dream again to escape it. Another existence was waiting for me as another type of being. I was looking at where I was to enter it. It didn't appeal to me. A very true and deep despair was experienced. I was enabled to return to this one. With some rewriting of events that had occurred.
Funny, Topix atheists base their non-belief on books they read, not on living experience.
You were close to death (as was I) with your synapsis misfiring and a dreamlike state ensuing as the brain starts to shut down. It's a physical experience and a neurological anomaly. Nothing more and nothing less.

I suppose the only difference between us is that I recognize a dream when I have one, even if it's a doozy. You on the other hand.....

Location hidden

#175420 Aug 24, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It was good, Dave.
I'm not a critic, anymore. If you have a story to tell, tell it.
It's Topix. It's not like anybody is going to believe you, right?
:-)

But it is all 100% true. Except for the turning to dope to ease the pain. The accent thing was a little accentuated.

Old Dave has been around a few blocks in a few different cities over a period of time and change. Many stories to tell, but they will go with me to my grave. Many too embarrassing to tell. Or even remember.

Dave understands how a dummy gets enlightened. Very experienced in the matter.:-)

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#175421 Aug 25, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
The above is not an argument in any way.
But it is indicative of the sort of deceitful person you are-- since you seem to think up ways TO be deceitful.
Here is my argument again, since you cannot refute it-- you did not even try:
Quantum mechanics proves beyond any doubts, that an omniscient god cannot exist within the present universe.
Period.
That proves to 100% that your god isn't real.
But it's worse: the theory of relativity--well tested-- also proves beyond any doubts that an omniscient god is impossible in the present universe.
That's two.
The Heisenberg uncertainty principle? That's 3 proofs you cannot have an all-knowing god in the universe.
That's three-- there's more.
Bob you could have stopped with "that is not an argument" Bob I am not going to waste my time arguing with you. You nor, anyone else could prove there was no creator. Which is the topic of this tread. Find me on another tread and maybe we could debate. You have faith and you have a belief. The tread has nothing to do with my faith or having a belief. Bob in your backwards world. Someone whom confesses they have a faith in a belief needs to prove that belief to be fact, while you claim you have a fact. No Bob, it's the person claiming a fact that owes the proof.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175422 Aug 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text> Yes I'm from the Boston area, do you have a problem with the hub of learning and artistic and scientific enlightenment? Perhaps a problem with sophistication and culture along with 5 championships sports teams. I am in fact an Atheist, I'm a *fan* of the Boston Bruins.
Somewhere in that vapid little mind of yours there is an apparent connection between Boston and Atheism, please squeeze that childish connection out for all to witness. Thanks!!
It's not childish we all know Boston Sucks. Could you pick a less optimistic belief, than atheism. You're drawn to what....

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175423 Aug 25, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Because we took a vote and absolutely NOBODY wants to be like you ;0) But we like Poly, so......
Sure a bunch of clowns that spend way too much time online. I am glad you had your result as you did because you all are backwards, and your claim people with beliefs need to prove, while people claiming fats have nothing to prove, proves you're backwards. I insulted clowns every where.

Location hidden

#175424 Aug 25, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
You were close to death (as was I) with your synapsis misfiring and a dreamlike state ensuing as the brain starts to shut down. It's a physical experience and a neurological anomaly. Nothing more and nothing less.
I suppose the only difference between us is that I recognize a dream when I have one, even if it's a doozy. You on the other hand.....
You assume a lot.

I won't dwell on this anymore. Everyone will have their own personal experience when the time comes. I have not preached any religion to follow. I have tried to present it as something to consider in your plans for the future, the possibility your inner being will just poof out may not be correct. Read your books and make your own decisions. It is not up to me to really give a shit what you do in the end. Was my personal experience I threw up for others to look at. Just a normal human thing to do.

But I will not refrain from helping Topix atheists look stupid, antisocial, and/or nutcases. It has its pleasurable aspects. I'm only human. For the time being. I wish to enjoy it for the rest of this term.:-)

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#175425 Aug 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
:-)
But it is all 100% true. Except for the turning to dope to ease the pain. The accent thing was a little accentuated.
Old Dave has been around a few blocks in a few different cities over a period of time and change. Many stories to tell, but they will go with me to my grave. Many too embarrassing to tell. Or even remember.
Dave understands how a dummy gets enlightened. Very experienced in the matter.:-)
I'm not a dummy Dave. I'm far from that. You know it.

Stories cease to be stories if they go to the grave with you.

It's dead air.

Say what you will. I'll support you until I don't. I almost promise.

Location hidden

#175426 Aug 25, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a dummy Dave. I'm far from that. You know it.
Stories cease to be stories if they go to the grave with you.
It's dead air.
Say what you will. I'll support you until I don't. I almost promise.
Yes, you know I know you aren't a dummy.

I just have bedtime stories left to tell, little one. I will tell them to you if you really, really want me to. But not on here.

But why don't you tell us your stories? You have a few judging from experiences and places you referred to in the past.

Location hidden

#175427 Aug 25, 2013
It would be neat to have a forum called Lessons I have learned in Life. Could come up with some interesting things. If everyone was honest about it.

That ain't gonna work.

But I would start it out about what some things I have learned about women.

First, they are extremely adaptable, creative, and clever peoples. Nothing can touch them for that. They can do anything.

An example, I have been hustled a 1000 ways by women, each different. Get all prepared for one to avoid it, and they shift into something different. They can be as dumb as cows and still pull a hustle. Never fails. 1000 ways, and I know there are at least 3 billion more that can still do it no matter how hard I try to short circuit it.

I have a healthy respect for what women can do.
Bongo

Brightwaters, NY

#175428 Aug 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
How was that?
them damn new England purees

Location hidden

#175429 Aug 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
It would be neat to have a forum called Lessons I have learned in Life. Could come up with some interesting things. If everyone was honest about it.
That ain't gonna work.
But I would start it out about what some things I have learned about women.
First, they are extremely adaptable, creative, and clever peoples. Nothing can touch them for that. They can do anything.
An example, I have been hustled a 1000 ways by women, each different. Get all prepared for one to avoid it, and they shift into something different. They can be as dumb as cows and still pull a hustle. Never fails. 1000 ways, and I know there are at least 3 billion more that can still do it no matter how hard I try to short circuit it.
I have a healthy respect for what women can do.
If you ever manage to prove the god you're here to lie about, creationist, please let us know.

Location hidden

#175430 Aug 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You assume a lot.
I won't dwell on this anymore. Everyone will have their own personal experience when the time comes. I have not preached any religion to follow. I have tried to present it as something to consider in your plans for the future, the possibility your inner being will just poof out may not be correct. Read your books and make your own decisions. It is not up to me to really give a shit what you do in the end. Was my personal experience I threw up for others to look at. Just a normal human thing to do.
But I will not refrain from helping Topix atheists look stupid, antisocial, and/or nutcases. It has its pleasurable aspects. I'm only human. For the time being. I wish to enjoy it for the rest of this term.:-)
YOu're a denialist - you deny the real world because it disproves your cult.

Thats how weak and pathetic you really are. You don't really have any opinions, they all come from the gloved hand of creationism operating your mind and body.

When we want the opinions of a wastrel robot that works for the cult of creationism, we will be sure to contact you first you waste of forum space.
LCNlin

United States

#175431 Aug 25, 2013
There often are two sides to issues.

Interesting to see who wants to shut off debate thought.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#175432 Aug 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
BINGO!!
I have posted about waking up in my death experience. This was after my physical consciousness, what we call our day to day thinking, had checked out and no viable way to continue had been presented. There was then an awakening in another dimension and consciousness, and a very strong desire to go back to sleep and dream again to escape it. Another existence was waiting for me as another type of being. I was looking at where I was to enter it. It didn't appeal to me. A very true and deep despair was experienced. I was enabled to return to this one. With some rewriting of events that had occurred.
Funny, Topix atheists base their non-belief on books they read, not on living experience.
You didn't have a death experience.

Although your posts appear to be from a state of brain death, the fact that you are able to make them proves that you did not have a death experience.

Sheesh. I shouldn't have to explain this stuff to you.

Or anybody.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 min NEWS-FLASH 175,627
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min StarC 559,454
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min ChristINSANITY is... 775,164
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 14 min onemale 265,133
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 18 min Ugly Truth from d... 39,344
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 25 min MUQ2 37,815
The Global Elites Are Moving Things Underground 1 hr WasteWater 14
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Ugly Truth from d... 604,998
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 16 hr Barnsweb 441,764
More from around the web