Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

xianity is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#173954 Aug 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Butch, the topic is "Atheism requires as much faith as religion?".
To advocate a "non-belief" becomes a belief, which in turn requires a faith in that belief.
Thank you for proving it does.
Now go grab your Johnson out of the drawer, put in fresh batteries, and go show "wifey" again what a man you are. You can never stop proving yourself, otherwise she will just see you as just another one of the girls.
a kristain proven wrong always responds with ad hominem insults,

why is that?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#173955 Aug 9, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
I can tell your mind is closed because you label the miracles as "tricks." Your presupposition has your interpretation of him as an ancient Harry Houdini. Your lack of theological understanding is a key element in your misconceptions. Yet, if you ask me to clear them up, you won't believe my explanations anyway. Let me ask you a question? What advantage or benefit do I gain from your belief or unbelief?
Before there can be 'theological understanding', it has to be established that theology has any reliable ways of determining truth or falsehood. In other words, is it even a valid area of study? I would claim it isn't.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#173956 Aug 9, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Science cannot prove itself to be true. It's a circular and self-refuting argument.
No, actually, it isn't. We make the hypothesis that the scientific method is a better way of acquiring knowledge than other methods. This is tested by actually using the scientific method and seeing if it leads to higher quality knowledge than other proposed methods, such as faith or philosophical inquiry. The evidence over the last 2000 years is pretty strong: the philosophical and faith based methods have given little actual knowledge and the scientific method has.

So, the scientific method has proved itself.:)
Yes I argue for the historicity of Jesus. My argument is based upon the methodology of determining the truth of history. The ten objective tests of reliability that exist.
That there was an actual person that preached the ideas of the Pharisees and was put to death by the Romans is not too extreme a claim. It seems even quite likely. In the same way, it is likely that Mohammad was a merchant. In neither case is it possible to use history to demonstrate a supernatural happening. It simply isn't up to that task.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#173957 Aug 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Butch, the topic is "Atheism requires as much faith as religion?".
To advocate a "non-belief" becomes a belief, which in turn requires a faith in that belief.
Now go grab your Johnson out of the drawer, put in fresh batteries, and go show "wifey" again what a man you are. You can never stop proving yourself, otherwise she will just see you as just another one of the girls.
Proofless creationist piece of sh*t.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#173958 Aug 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism may be just a non-belief, but when it is advocated, or proselytized as on here, it becomes a belief.
I don't believe that.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#173959 Aug 9, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Not atheism. This is what i wrote.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text> Then it cannot be tested scientifically. So your above statement contradicts this one.
As an example, a penny lying on the ground has information:
Do you believe in pixie dust?

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#173960 Aug 9, 2013
It's not a matter of understanding it's a matter of you accepting because it bolsters your blind faith. At the end of the day you live your life on blind faith and superstition not based on established facts and observable evidence. Hey it's fine that you allow yourself to be ruled by faith and superstition but don't claim to be grounded in facts because you're not.

It's fine if you need your imaginary friend God to help you through life but understand some of us live by reason not superstition.
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have blind faith. My trust and confidence is based upon the historical evidence. I am able to understand the evidence. My mind is open. You're unable to understand. Your mind is closed.

I can tell your mind is closed because you label the miracles as "tricks." Your presupposition has your interpretation of him as an ancient Harry Houdini. Your lack of theological understanding is a key element in your misconceptions. Yet, if you ask me to clear them up, you won't believe my explanations anyway. Let me ask you a question? What advantage or benefit do I gain from your belief or unbelief?

Henderson, KY

#173961 Aug 9, 2013
Being a 6'3" black man who played power forward in high school basketball and linebacker in high school football I doubt anyone would confuse me as a woman. But as I have said before your daughter may take my man meat in her mouth to verify but you seem to avoid that option. I accept your surrender and no you may not [email protected] me off as you previously offered. Sorry.

It upsets you that atheists express their opinions and you wish to silent them for the sake of your church. Once I see you attacking believers for expressing their opinions you could be considered neutral.... Until then we all see you for the Christian activist you are gramps.

You're welcome for the free education.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Butch, the topic is "Atheism requires as much faith as religion?".

Henderson, KY

#173962 Aug 9, 2013
Because they can't argue with facts and they know it.
xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>a kristain proven wrong always responds with ad hominem insults,

why is that?

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#173963 Aug 9, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
there are NO miracles,when you see one take a video,
its all trickery
http://youtu.be/NNsGGTt9CTs
Nice video :D

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#173964 Aug 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Being a 6'3" black man who played power forward in high school basketball and linebacker in high school football I doubt anyone would confuse me as a woman. But as I have said before your daughter may take my man meat in her mouth to verify but you seem to avoid that option. I accept your surrender and no you may not [email protected] me off as you previously offered. Sorry.
It upsets you that atheists express their opinions and you wish to silent them for the sake of your church. Once I see you attacking believers for expressing their opinions you could be considered neutral.... Until then we all see you for the Christian activist you are gramps.
You're welcome for the free education.
<quoted text>
A 6'3" black man wouldn't insist a guy wipes his ass back to front, and knows the dangers of zippers and dicks.

Plus you said you were 6 foot and 160 pounds before.

Really now, Butch. I got some man meat for you, and your "wifey", too. The real deal. You can call me anytime later to save your marriage after she gets a taste of that.

You are a joke.

Westcliffe, CO

#173965 Aug 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
A 6'3" black man wouldn't insist a guy wipes his ass back to front, and knows the dangers of zippers and dicks.
Really now, Butch. I got some man meat for you, and your "wifey", too. The real deal. You can call me anytime later to save your marriage after she gets a taste of that.
You are a joke.
Oops, meant front to back.

I have a pair of balls to block it. I never had to give it a thought like you.

Henderson, KY

#173966 Aug 9, 2013
I have never said I was just 6 foot tall liar. Go find the post and prove me wrong. Your zipper comment? No idea must be your senile hallucinations again. One of my first posts here was about wifey and how I was a lucky guy to have her, and you know it.

You want to silence atheists Dave, sorry not going to happen.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>A 6'3" black man wouldn't insist a guy wipes his ass back to front, and knows the dangers of zippers and dicks.

You are a joke.

Westcliffe, CO

#173967 Aug 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I have never said I was just 6 foot tall liar. Go find the post and prove me wrong. Your zipper comment? No idea must be your senile hallucinations again. One of my first posts here was about wifey and how I was a lucky guy to have her, and you know it.
You want to silence atheists Dave, sorry not going to happen.
<quoted text>
I remember a lot of your posts. Why I know you are a liar.

You may have said 6 foot and either 1 or 2 inches. And 160 lbs. Slender.

With a huge Johnson. Kept in a drawer.

Zipporah and circumcision. You just totally missed my joke about it. I brought it up then. Scroll back.

I want to silence obnoxious idiots, Butch, not atheists. I was one for a long, long time. You aren't an atheist, you just use it for a cover.

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#173968 Aug 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
It's not a matter of understanding it's a matter of you accepting because it bolsters your blind faith. At the end of the day you live your life on blind faith and superstition not based on established facts and observable evidence. Hey it's fine that you allow yourself to be ruled by faith and superstition but don't claim to be grounded in facts because you're not.
It's fine if you need your imaginary friend God to help you through life but understand some of us live by reason not superstition.
<quoted text>
The evidence supports the trust I have. Trust isn't blind. Nor should it be. If you want to look at facts, by all means. Let's look at facts.

1) You consistently assume I won't answer you, and I do. That's blind faith in your own assumptions.

2) You used a list of authors from a skeptics website and never checked the facts of each listed author to see when they lived, what they wrote about, or where they lived.
You accepted that list on blind faith. See where it got you?

3) You say I have NO evidence when in fact I have evidence that would be sufficient in many court rooms if this was a trial. The fact that you attack it so vehemently is the best possible indicator that it's correct, and I love that you attack it so much. Defense attorneys do this all the time. They attack what they believe is the prosecution's strongest evidence.

Further, you accept what OTHERS have said about Jesus being a myth. You haven't presented a single argument that I haven't seen or heard hundreds of times before. So you also are placing faith in the arguments of those people. And you claim you live on reason? Please fool- get real.

Henderson, KY

#173969 Aug 9, 2013
Show the posts you fcking liar or I will once again accept your surrender. Show where I said I was only 6 and only weighed 160lbs and that I had a Johnson kept in a drawer. None of these things are things I ever once said and you know it.

No we all shaking our heads at your idiotic Zipporah joke, it just wasn't funny to those of us who haven't suffered head injuries like you. But that was all on you I was just one of many smh saying to themselves... Senile old Dave.

And seeing as how I routinely factually destroy you I wouldn't be calling me an idiot as my IQ easily towers over yours. Easily.

I'll wait for you to produce these posts Dave and laughing at your miserable failures.... As usual.

But then again you are here as a clown making a fool of yourself for our amusement. Know your role :)
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>I remember a lot of your posts. Why I know you are a liar.

You may have said 6 foot and either 1 or 2 inches. And 160 lbs. Slender.

With a huge Johnson. Kept in a drawer.

Zipporah and circumcision. You just totally missed my joke about it. I brought it up then. Scroll back.

I want to silence obnoxious idiots, Butch, not atheists. I was one for a long, long time. You aren't an atheist, you just use it for a cover.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#173970 Aug 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Oops, meant front to back.
I have a pair of balls to block it. I never had to give it a thought like you.
We knew you was a couple of nuts Dave..

Henderson, KY

#173972 Aug 9, 2013
Any year now Dave. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Don't chop off any more of your fingers with a saw looking for them now.

Oh well, what can we expect from a Dave the guy who said that reading from books is a terrible way to learn but hurting yourself and suffering head injuries is the right way to go!

Lmfao!

Hey Dave! Thanks for the laughs idiot!

Westcliffe, CO

#173973 Aug 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Any year now Dave. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Don't chop off any more of your fingers with a saw looking for them now.
Oh well, what can we expect from a Dave the guy who said that reading from books is a terrible way to learn but hurting yourself and suffering head injuries is the right way to go!
Lmfao!
Hey Dave! Thanks for the laughs idiot!
"Man meat". "Johnson".

LOL!!!

You such a a stud.

Must have been quite a sight when the guys in the locker room saw you lift your ass up in the air to wipe front to back. My "package" kind of gets in the way sitting down. Maybe yours didn't.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#173974 Aug 9, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
No free pass for atheism. Atheism is simply the lack of belief in a deity. It deals with only one relatively minor issue: the existence of deities. it says nothing about anything else. Most atheists are quite willing to have beliefs in deities if there was strong enough evidence for such.
Let atheism stand on its own and quit dragging Scientific method into it like you do below. You keep referencing the Laws of physics knowing full well God depicted is not subject to the Laws of Physics. Scientific method does not validate atheism and it does not invalidate God. Atheism not subject to scientific method since it does not explain anything and has more to do with a philosophy of life than it does Science. It is as you say a no God assumption which comes with terrible consequences if wrong.
On the other hand, the scientific method can and does lead to explanations about a great many things in the universe.
That is not in dispute. It explain how the machine runs. It does not explain the origin of the machine. If i ask an employee where the machine is from. The question is not answered by describing how the machine runs.
It supports, but does not require, atheism by showing that supernatural explanations are unnecessary to understand the universe.
BS. Science claims a beginning but has no explanation for a Cause. Nor can it come up with one because the event cannot be repeated. If they try to repeat the event then they have to use intelligence to recreate possible circumstances. That invalidates natural causes. Since you believe God is unnecessary that is the way you interpret the tea leaves. Rule God out from the get go and then go from there. If there is order and design it cannot be God. It has to have a non intelligent agent. That is your whole basis.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 6 min Repub Lies Manufa... 47,295
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 min Gabriel 990,717
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 23 min el rey de los cam... 475
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 33 min Robert F 692,172
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 42 min Today In History 619,839
Any women like to sit on guys faces and fart? (Feb '15) 1 hr bksmoker 24
Crackdown On Liberal Safe Space 7 hr HalloChristmasWeen 1
More from around the web