Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255888 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#173390 Aug 3, 2013
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. Atheists are evil.
BOO!

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#173391 Aug 3, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>Imhotep, I can only answer according to the way I understand it. And a bit of background information is necessary as I give that answer. Mr Liberty likes to accuse me of changing the subject and I can assure you I don't. I just lay out my case or my understanding with all the pertinent information needed. Notice he accused me of making shit up about the "Dewey Defeats Truman" fallacy. It's not an actual fallacy per se. I just created the analogy annd aimed it at him for claiming victory before I answered his challenge. He has no patience. Hopefully you'll do better. You seem reasonable.:)

Now I'm not sure why you're making a comparison to the Matthew account. I tend to dismiss atheist based links as I would rather not misinterpret your position or question. That's why I try not to post apologetic links to you folks. We all have our biases. I prefer to hear your arguments from you. This way I can't misrepresent your position.

The Markan account of the fig tree is to be considered in the wider context of spiritual corruption in Israel in favor of nationalistic dogma. The chief priests and kings of Israel were concerned with political/military deliverance from Roman oppression. When Jesus left the temple and cursed the fig tree, it was a warning to Israel that the nation was corrupt from the very roots. By destroying it (cursing it) Jesus was demonstrating that Israel would come under judgement, and since the city of Jerusalem and it's temple were the "root" of Judaic culture, then the temple and Jerusalem would be "cut down." This was an analogy because this is what happened to trees that didn't produce fruit.

Trees that didn't produce fruit were diseased and worth nothing but firewood. Israel's climate allows fig trees to retain fruit from the past season. When Jesus saw leaves from a distance, he expected to see fruit from the previous season. He used the fruitless tree to teach the disciples an important lesson about the future of Israel.

Now let me ask a question. You included the reference to the same incident in the gospel according to Matthew. What's your question there?
Must have been some rotten figs from the previous seasons.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#173392 Aug 3, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I've just become an ordained minister.
You going to the footstomping party?

“Exit Stage Right”

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#173393 Aug 3, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Was,it easy..can you now get a tax exemption .

always hear atheists protest them

Wonder about the Atheist CHURCH

I've always thought there was too much

Ardor involved for it NOT to be a religion.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#173394 Aug 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>You going to the footstomping party?
Haven't gotten that invite yet.

I can perform weddings and funerals, though.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#173395 Aug 3, 2013
Murgatroyd wrote:
<quoted text>Was,it easy..can you now get a tax exemption .

always hear atheists protest them

Wonder about the Atheist CHURCH

I've always thought there was too much

Ardor involved for it NOT to be a religion.
Hmmmm...

Interesting angle.

I'll have to check it out.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#173396 Aug 3, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I did that a few years ago.
It's free, even, and I can do weddings and baptisms and funerals and such.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#173398 Aug 3, 2013
satanlives wrote:
There are in excess of 3000+ gods.. hence we are all atheists...even the christians as they don't believe in any of the other 2999 gods...
I just disbelieve in one more.

They're almost there.

“Wrath”

Is revenant

#173399 Aug 3, 2013
satanlives wrote:
There are in excess of 3000+ gods.. hence we are all atheists...even the christians as they don't believe in any of the other 2999 gods...
Most of them believe in four, so they are in fact hypocrites. Belief in god is the height of hypocrisy.
Big daddy, Jr the spook and Satan the one god they believe in.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#173400 Aug 3, 2013
Murgatroyd wrote:
<quoted text>Just found this

http://firstchurchofatheism.com/

They have ministers as well as churches

Here's one

Looks impressive

http://gawker.com/5973377/londons-first-athei...

February 4, 2011

Church, without God

“Stan Bradley likes Bible stories, admires Martin Luther and uses expressions such as 'heavens, no.'

The Lithopolis man is president of a local congregation and rarely misses a Sunday service. Occasionally, he goes to his wife's church instead.

For these and other reasons, Bradley considers himself religious.”

He is also an atheist.

continued:

“Like Bradley, some atheists participate in organized religion for its social and psychological benefits.”

continued:

“Churches are great places to find friends, support and youth education, so nonbelievers and believers alike join congregations to fill those needs, he said.

He has spoken to elderly and sick people who can no longer go to church and they say they most miss the feeling of community.

Recent research from Harvard University and the University of Wisconsin backs him up. It found that religious people tend to be happier than nonreligious people, not because of belief but because of the friendships found at church.”

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/faith...

“

Location hidden

#173401 Aug 3, 2013
Murgatroyd wrote:
<quoted text>Just found this

http://firstchurchofatheism.com/

They have ministers as well as churches

Here's one

Looks impressive

http://gawker.com/5973377/londons-first-athei...
The Atheist's Bible: An Illustrious Collection of Irreverent Thoughts [Hardcover]
Joan Konner (Author)
3.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (29 customer reviews)

List Price:$16.99
Price:$11.55 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
Deal Price:
You Save:$5.44 (32%)

Only 4 left in stock (more on the way).
http://www.amazon.com/The-Atheists-Bible-Illu...

Location hidden

#173402 Aug 3, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I just disbelieve in one more.

They're almost there.
Mac. Where did time come from?

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#173406 Aug 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
So as I correctly stated you just made it up.
Thank you for once again confirming I was right and you just make things up as you go.
<quoted text>
No, you're wrong as usual. I applaud your consistency. I toyed with you on the "Dewey Defeats Truman" fallacy. It's not a listed logical fallacy. It was my way of making fun of you. You're like the annoying little kid that says "Let's race!" and takes off to an unstated finish line and declares victory. It's what you do. I can understand that. You think this is a competition to be decisively won in a single round. You need a personal victory. I get that. It's cool. As you take off running I just stand up and watch you expend all your energy and watch you look foolish as you claim victory in a race of one. I applaud your energy too.:)

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Location hidden

#173407 Aug 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I have factually proven you wrong several times and you still have failed to answer the majority of my bible questions. I guess that's why you resort to insults yes?
The only entertaining you have done is admitting the dishonesty of the gospels and cowering from questions.
<quoted text>
I've answered your questions on many occasions. I just don't answer them on your terms. You know you're trying to pigeon-hole me and I'm not going to let you. That's why my answers don't satisfy you. You can't pin me down (and you never will) and you resent that. Good. We're making progress. Aren't you glad we had this little chit-chat? I sure am!! LOL :))

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#173408 Aug 3, 2013
So making yourself look like a factually incorrect jackass is your way of making fun of others....... I see you do that often.

So you confess the gospels were purposely changed for their target audience yes? That in itself is strong evidence that they are myth. If they were honest and the words of God there would be no need to purposely mislead people by altering them as you yourself confessed they did.

Christians lives are built on this dishonesty.
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>No, you're wrong as usual. I applaud your consistency. I toyed with you on the "Dewey Defeats Truman" fallacy. It's not a listed logical fallacy. It was my way of making fun of you. You're like the annoying little kid that says "Let's race!" and takes off to an unstated finish line and declares victory. It's what you do. I can understand that. You think this is a competition to be decisively won in a single round. You need a personal victory. I get that. It's cool. As you take off running I just stand up and watch you expend all your energy and watch you look foolish as you claim victory in a race of one. I applaud your energy too.:)

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#173409 Aug 3, 2013
Hmmm sounds like excuses from an admitted failure to me.

By your own admission, the gospels were altered and changed for different audiences.

Very dishonest indeed.
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>I've answered your questions on many occasions. I just don't answer them on your terms. You know you're trying to pigeon-hole me and I'm not going to let you. That's why my answers don't satisfy you. You can't pin me down (and you never will) and you resent that. Good. We're making progress. Aren't you glad we had this little chit-chat? I sure am!! LOL :))

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Location hidden

#173411 Aug 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
So making yourself look like a factually incorrect jackass is your way of making fun of others....... I see you do that often.
So you confess the gospels were purposely changed for their target audience yes? That in itself is strong evidence that they are myth. If they were honest and the words of God there would be no need to purposely mislead people by altering them as you yourself confessed they did.
Christians lives are built on this dishonesty.
<quoted text>
No, this is a mistake in your thinking. The Gospel of Luke was written by Luke to a gentile audience. That was the purpose. It wasn't changed. I'm talking about the original writing. If something is original, it hasn't been changed.

Matthew was Jewish and his concern was to inform unbelieving Jews that Jesus was the true Messiah. I didn't say they changed them. You're either mistaken in your understanding, or you're purposely misrepresenting my earlier point.

And I make fun of you because you assume you're winning a contest that doesn't even exist. My purpose isn't to win. It's to expose flaws to arguments and present alternative methods of understanding to those who have the ability and desire to have a real discussion.

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Location hidden

#173412 Aug 3, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just a game.
Nothing more.
I haven't had time to play lately.
I will. I will.
I will dissect every sentence you write and add to it at my whim. It's what I do.
Do you have a metal coat hanger by chance?
No I don't have a metal coat hanger. I don't need an antenna. I have cable TV and internet. You should upgrade if your reception is that bad.

“Wrath”

Is revenant

#173413 Aug 3, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
No I don't have a metal coat hanger. I don't need an antenna. I have cable TV and internet. You should upgrade if your reception is that bad.
That wont help get the car door open.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173414 Aug 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Most of them believe in four, so they are in fact hypocrites. Belief in god is the height of hypocrisy.
Big daddy, Jr the spook and Satan the one god they believe in.
You forgot their most revered god-- their bible.

That one? They worship like it was made of platinum or something...

... it's kinda sad to see, really.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min kent 649,752
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 17 min Pegasus 281,471
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 30 min Joe Fortuna 55,867
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 45 min ImFree2Choose 2,285
How could ANYONE have SEX with a MAN ! 1 hr Homophobe 1
What do u think of Jesus Christ?(God) (Oct '06) 4 hr HE LIVES 70,224
Rotherham sheff doncaster sex 4 hr Hussain 1
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 20 hr Noname 69
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) Fri Hangman 972,378
More from around the web