Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Imhotep

United States

#173136 Jul 30, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
About 20 years back, there was an abandoned strip mine of some sort, you could go practice in-- it was perfect: had anywhere from 20 to 50 feet high walls consisting of fairly loose shale as a backstop. Little chance of ricochet back to you or elsewhere. Easy paths down into it, from when they were hauling up the ore. It was about as perfect as you could ask for.
Alas, the nanny-state morons closed it off, and prohibited the public from going in there. meh. Afraid some moron would drown in the man-made lakes down at the very bottom, I guess.(as if that wouldn't have improved the gene pool some... it would've been a win-win I'd have thought...)
But now, there's no where nearby to go shooting for free. A few paid locations here and there, but without membership, it's prohibitive for regular practice. There's a really good range outside of town, too far to go apart from weekends, though-- takes about an hour to get to (poor roads). And because the land is owned by a rational family?(the gun club only leases it) You are not forced to subsidize the nutter-NRA bullshit...
There's one in the southside of the city, but I've not checked on their prices-- likely as ridiculous as the ones nearby, if not worse.
... meh. Too much regulation makes indoor ranges too expensive-- and about 70% of the regulation has **nothing** to do with shooting itself, but with **air** quality!!! WTF???
... nanny states...(in the voice of Yosemite Sam)
I hates that rabbit...
Is OK still a BYOL state?

When I worked in Tulsa years ago any place that served serious booze was a private club that you had to join.

You brought your own liquor and then they put a member label on it and serve it to you.

That was weird!

around the same time in South Carolina I was working in Myrtle Beach.

served all liquor in airline bottles!

now... back on track with the pontiff, the new holy guy from Argentina.

I find this ironic

'Who am I to judge?'

Pope signals more tolerant stance on homosexuality!

Previous Pope had signed document saying gay men should not be priests.

But Pope Francis says gay clergymen should be forgiven and sins forgotten.

Comments came as he returned from wildly successful tour of Brazil.

I suspect there will be more alter boys bending over now.

The "Word of God", far from being inerrant, has always been a work in progress.

The number of apologies are limitless and though some may seem hollow and disingenuous, the RCC advises all apologies will sound very sincere.

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#173137 Jul 30, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
About 20 years back, there was an abandoned strip mine of some sort, you could go practice in-- it was perfect: had anywhere from 20 to 50 feet high walls consisting of fairly loose shale as a backstop. Little chance of ricochet back to you or elsewhere. Easy paths down into it, from when they were hauling up the ore. It was about as perfect as you could ask for.
Alas, the nanny-state morons closed it off, and prohibited the public from going in there. meh. Afraid some moron would drown in the man-made lakes down at the very bottom, I guess.(as if that wouldn't have improved the gene pool some... it would've been a win-win I'd have thought...)
But now, there's no where nearby to go shooting for free. A few paid locations here and there, but without membership, it's prohibitive for regular practice. There's a really good range outside of town, too far to go apart from weekends, though-- takes about an hour to get to (poor roads). And because the land is owned by a rational family?(the gun club only leases it) You are not forced to subsidize the nutter-NRA bullshit...
There's one in the southside of the city, but I've not checked on their prices-- likely as ridiculous as the ones nearby, if not worse.
... meh. Too much regulation makes indoor ranges too expensive-- and about 70% of the regulation has **nothing** to do with shooting itself, but with **air** quality!!! WTF???
... nanny states...(in the voice of Yosemite Sam)
I hates that rabbit...
You are aware of the lead dust created and breathed in indoor ranges? It is not insignificant. You need LOTS of air circulation and LOTS of filtering. Then it has to be disposed of properly. Even outdoor range backstops get replaced every so often.

Not too mention the vaporized jacketing material and lubes.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173138 Jul 30, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You have got to be shitting me, you mean there is no wide open spaces in Oklahoma?
:)

None within reasonable driving distance. And even those? Privately owned.

There is no non-private space wherein one may shoot a gun safely, near to the city of Tulsa. And it's illegal to shoot in the state/national parks, so...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173139 Jul 30, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Is OK still a BYOL state?
Not for some time-- a number of years back, the liquor lobby finally got "by the county option" passed, and within a few years, 90% of all counties opted for liquor by the drink. Maybe 100% by now-- I haven't checked.

The formerly dry counties quickly saw their revenue drain away, at the bars and liquor stores just over the county line... it was kind of amusing to watch those dominoes fall...

... funny thing? DWI did **not** increase... imagine that? Everyone who was **going** to drink, had managed to skirt the law already...

:)

Gotta love those hypocrite-christians.
Imhotep wrote:
When I worked in Tulsa years ago any place that served serious booze was a private club that you had to join.

You brought your own liquor and then they put a member label on it and serve it to you.

That was weird!

around the same time in South Carolina I was working in Myrtle Beach.
served all liquor in airline bottles!
Yes-- quite weird. Most places would let you "join" for a very nominal fee-- and if you protested? They'd usually waive even that-- if you promised to buy a bottle from them.:)

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173140 Jul 30, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
now... back on track with the pontiff, the new holy guy from Argentina.
I find this ironic
'Who am I to judge?'
Pope signals more tolerant stance on homosexuality!
Previous Pope had signed document saying gay men should not be priests.

But Pope Francis says gay clergymen should be forgiven and sins forgotten.

Comments came as he returned from wildly successful tour of Brazil.
I suspect there will be more alter boys bending over now.

The "Word of God", far from being inerrant, has always been a work in progress.

The number of apologies are limitless and though some may seem hollow and disingenuous, the RCC advises all apologies will sound very sincere.
Could be he's paving the way for coming out as gay, himself.

You know how it is with those cardinals/popes: they never wear normal clothing.

;) <snerk>

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173141 Jul 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are aware of the lead dust created and breathed in indoor ranges? It is not insignificant. You need LOTS of air circulation and LOTS of filtering.
That is grossly over-stated. Yes-- it can affect the range-workers, if they remain around all day long. But your average practicing shooter won't get sufficient to be any big deal.

The poison is in the dose, as the Industrial Safety people say.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Then it has to be disposed of properly. Even outdoor range backstops get replaced every so often.
Not too mention the vaporized jacketing material and lubes.
Grossly nanny-state/over-the-top: there are far more toxic exposures just from driving your average car in a year, than you'd get in a lifetime of weekly shooting practice.

The quantities are quite small.
UDIOTRACEMAKEWOR LDPEACE

United States

#173142 Jul 30, 2013
Bughuul wrote:
This keeps the followers in a continuing state of fear and compliance. They are afraid to question the intentions of this invisible being and they are afraid of even expressing their own individuality in many cases. Christians and others are taught that they have virtually no power to do anything exceptpray, worship and do good deeds. They are taught to practice self denial and are told that their own will is totally irrelevant. Religious followers believe that they are yielding their will over to a benevolent cosmic individual who hassingle-handedly created the whole universe and has their best interests at heart when in fact they are handing over their will and freedoms to hidden groups of religious elites for the elites own personal gains.It appears that religion must constantly degrade and humiliate its followers in order to glorify and elevate its god. Unfortunately many people appear eager to give away their power to authority and seem to have a need and even a desire to be ruled and disciplined by it. Worshipping gods is futile and is nothing more than an ancient primitive custom practiced by weak minded and superstitious people. It has no place in the 21st century. The reason we have life in this world is to experience life in this world, not to spend our entire lives studying an old book, looking up to the sky and worshipping an invisible ruler in another realm. 
American Xtain Envangelical/Fundies are one causing trouble for many at home and worldwide with their support for the US neocons war machines that got us American into illicit wars overseas!

Kevin Phillips, American Dynasty, p211

Newsweek, March 10, 2003,

Bush believes in God's will-and in winning elections with the backing of those who agree with him. As a subaltern in his father's 1988 campaign, George Bush the Younger assembled his career through contacts with ministers of the emerging evangelical movement in political life. Now they form the core of the Republican Party, which controls all of the capital for the first time in a half century. Bible-believing Christians are Bush's strongest backers.
UDIOTRACEMAKEWOR LDPEACE

United States

#173143 Jul 30, 2013
Jeff Sharlet
author of "The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power"

A secretive group known as The Fellowship, or “The Family,” is one of the most powerful Christian fundamentalist movements in the United States. The Family’s devoted membership includes congressmen, corporate leaders, generals and foreign heads of state.

Unlike other Christian right groups, they [The Family] don’t really believe that you’re in power because you’re a good person.They believe that they are the “new chosen,” that you’re chosen for power by God. You’re not so much elected by the people as selected from above. And when you’re in that position, it doesn’t matter what you do. In a similar vein, the foreign leaders with whom they work, the dictators, about whom they have no illusions, are chosen by God for their countries, regardless of how brutal they are.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#173144 Jul 30, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Could be he's paving the way for coming out as gay, himself.
You know how it is with those cardinals/popes: they never wear normal clothing.
;) <snerk>
Someone I know on Topix who is very knowledgeable about the Eastern Rite Churches has told me one of the major Patriarchs is gay and plans on grooming his lover to be his successor. But they both are still stuck on the sex act is a sin thing.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#173145 Jul 30, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Could be he's paving the way for coming out as gay, himself.
You know how it is with those cardinals/popes: they never wear normal clothing.
;) <snerk>
List of sexually active popes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sexually...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173146 Jul 30, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Someone I know on Topix who is very knowledgeable about the Eastern Rite Churches has told me one of the major Patriarchs is gay and plans on grooming his lover to be his successor. But they both are still stuck on the sex act is a sin thing.
That does not surprise me in the least.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173147 Jul 30, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>List of sexually active popes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sexually...
Yes.. I notice that most of those are fairly old-- it appears that the Vatican got better at hiding the Pope-um's indiscretions as time went on.
UDIOTRACEMAKEWOR LDPEACE

United States

#173148 Jul 30, 2013
UDIOTRACEMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
Jeff Sharlet
author of "The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power"
A secretive group known as The Fellowship, or “The Family,” is one of the most powerful Christian fundamentalist movements in the United States. The Family’s devoted membership includes congressmen, corporate leaders, generals and foreign heads of state.
Unlike other Christian right groups, they [The Family] don’t really believe that you’re in power because you’re a good person.They believe that they are the “new chosen,” that you’re chosen for power by God. You’re not so much elected by the people as selected from above. And when you’re in that position, it doesn’t matter what you do. In a similar vein, the foreign leaders with whom they work, the dictators, about whom they have no illusions, are chosen by God for their countries, regardless of how brutal they are.
ADD! Some of these Foreign Dictators are actually US puppets who must follow US imperial directive, and look what happen to Us put Saddam (US puppet) in ppower and when he got hanged for not follow US orders.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173153 Jul 31, 2013
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny you say this because you just contradicted what another one of your co-atheists said while attempting to refute me about how the disgusting religion of atheism has caused such a crime increase since your disciple and deacon of atheism, O'Hair, stirred the cult of atheism up in 1963.
I said in my post that atheism is the chief reason our world has become so much more of a violent and criminal world .
Your stupid atheist friend then posted a link where crime is down in America in the last decade or two (which I strongly disagree with).
Now one of you two , or both , is lying. I think you both are liars.
Your disgusting stalking is almost annoying.

Reported.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173154 Jul 31, 2013
Just Results wrote:
... O'Hair, stirred the cult of atheism up in 1963.
Atheists have been around longer than you godbots, stupid.

If there were **no** faith in gods?

All would be atheists.

Just as babies are **born** atheist-- having no faith in the lies you hategodbots tell.

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#173155 Jul 31, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists have been around longer than you godbots, stupid.
If there were **no** faith in gods?
All would be atheists.
Just as babies are **born** atheist-- having no faith in the lies you hategodbots tell.
No they have not... I see your still... dumb, lol.

I'm back...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173156 Jul 31, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
No they have not... I see your still... dumb, lol.
I'm back...
Religion **was** invented by people.

Prior to it's invention? Everyone was an atheist.

So you are full of it, as per your usual...

.. and wrong.

Also in keeping with your usual.

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#173157 Jul 31, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion **was** invented by people.
Prior to it's invention? Everyone was an atheist.
So you are full of it, as per your usual...
.. and wrong.
Also in keeping with your usual.
Maybe religion was invented by people, but not faith D.A...

bring it...
EXPERT

United States

#173158 Jul 31, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion **was** invented by people.
Prior to it's invention? Everyone was an atheist.
So you are full of it, as per your usual...
.. and wrong.
Also in keeping with your usual.
Evidence? That's what I thought...

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#173159 Jul 31, 2013
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidence? That's what I thought...
Look at any cult or religious text and you will find evidence that humans created it.

So by elimination, Bob is correct - everyone was and is atheist, until ignorant liars invented religion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min Snake Eyes 27,139
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Just Think 685,992
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min waaasssuuup 985,779
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr Here For Now 619,752
Dog was hit by a car. Who is responsible for what? 5 hr Corbin KY 2009 9
David Duke: "We're going to take our country ba... 7 hr Edthirty 70
Leftists libs DONT KNOW their own history 7 hr Larry The Cable Guy 3
More from around the web