Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258478 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Thinking

Royston, UK

#172896 Jul 24, 2013
It's funny to think that Vindaloo (the Portuguese for wine and garlic) did not exist before chilies made their way East from the Americas. Indian food without chilies or potato...

Can't remember the last time I saw newspaper used in the chippy - they use blank recycled paper these days. Shame really, I love the expression, "Today's news, tomorrow's fish and chip wrapper!"
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>One of the things I do miss about Britain.
A good Brit-style tandoori. Or vindaloo.
That, and the old-style corner chipper - fish-an'-chips, soaked in grease and malt vinegar, wrapped in newspaper.
Drat, now I'm all hongry.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#172897 Jul 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
It's funny to think that Vindaloo (the Portuguese for wine and garlic) did not exist before chilies made their way East from the Americas. Indian food without chilies or potato...
Can't remember the last time I saw newspaper used in the chippy - they use blank recycled paper these days. Shame really, I love the expression, "Today's news, tomorrow's fish and chip wrapper!"
<quoted text>
I go back a long way. And I'm a traditionalist - I still think most rifles should be loaded from the front.

Wait, High Wycombe? I used to work in Gerrard's Cross... partway to all those tiresome Chalfonts.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172898 Jul 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:

<quoted text>
Did they really use old newspapers? I always thought that was a kind of urban legend.

Here, years-and-years ago, there was a (now defunct) chain called "Aurthur Treacher's Fish n' Chips".

And they did line their serving trays (a little cardboard boat/basket thingy) with American-Inspector-approved paper.

But it had been euphemistically printed with "news". I used to read the "news", as it was all of the joke variety.

Alas, that chain did not survive the turmoil of the '80's.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172900 Jul 24, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I go back a long way. And I'm a traditionalist - I still think most rifles should be loaded from the front.
Wait, High Wycombe? I used to work in Gerrard's Cross... partway to all those tiresome Chalfonts.
Never fired a front-loader m'self.

(weird... Topix wanted to censor "bl#ck powder"...!)

The Borderland of Sol

#172901 Jul 24, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Never fired a front-loader m'self.
(weird... Topix wanted to censor "bl#ck powder"...!)
Smokepoles are fun. Messy, but hey.

And the Topix robocensor is an idiot.

The Borderland of Sol

#172902 Jul 24, 2013
<quoted text>
Did they really use old newspapers? I always thought that was a kind of urban legend.
Here, years-and-years ago, there was a (now defunct) chain called "Aurthur Treacher's Fish n' Chips".
And they did line their serving trays (a little cardboard boat/basket thingy) with American-Inspector-approved paper.
But it had been euphemistically printed with "news". I used to read the "news", as it was all of the joke variety.
Newspaper, as issued, is actually sterile. Combination of heat and the bleaching process, I think.

As an aside, urine (as issued from an undiseased bladder) is also sterile. Capstick relates an incident where a native assistant saved another's eyesight by peeing in his eyes, after he took a hit from a spitting cobra.

Coupla useful first-aid tips.

Laffin.
Imhotep

Silver Springs, FL

#172903 Jul 24, 2013
<quoted text>
But the banning engine appears to be automatic to a degree.
Sufficient reportings gets a poster banned, it appears.
A former poster-- a Genuine Christian™, who went by "atheism is evil" got himself banned.
Hey Bob
QQ
You refer to banning... can I assume this only applies to people who join topix?
What, if any, is the benefit of joining?

Although I do not watch FOXNews O'Reilly from time to time does have something worthwhile.

This off-topic piece from O'Reilly is very insightful in my opinion what do you think?

http://www.billoreilly.com/video...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172904 Jul 24, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Smokepoles are fun. Messy, but hey.
And the Topix robocensor is an idiot.
Indeed it is.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172905 Jul 24, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Newspaper, as issued, is actually sterile. Combination of heat and the bleaching process, I think.
As an aside, urine (as issued from an undiseased bladder) is also sterile. Capstick relates an incident where a native assistant saved another's eyesight by peeing in his eyes, after he took a hit from a spitting cobra.
Laffin.
Yes, I knew the thing about urine from a healthy bladder.

I think I also knew the newspaper thing too-- I recall a story where a newborn, born in a cab, was "swaddled" in fresh-from-the-presses newspaper, as nothing else was available (that was sanitary).

But wouldn't the taste of the ink affect the food?

Maybe that was a an added benefit?

<laughing too>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172906 Jul 24, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Bob
QQ
You refer to banning... can I assume this only applies to people who join topix?
Although I do not watch FOXNews O'Reilly from time to time does have something worthwhile.
This off-topic piece from O'Reilly is very insightful in my opinion what do you think?
http://www.billoreilly.com/video...
Grey-boxers (such as yourself) can get banned too.

The database that preserves the posts? Has information that links each post back to the computer that posted it.

It's how Topix knows to "remember" the name you used from before, when you start to post a new item.

So the ban-hammer simply deletes all the database items that have this same ID code in the ID field.

And **boom** a grey boxer's posts are sent to nifelheim.

They can also prevent that individual computer's signature, from accessing Topix too.

But that latter is easily spoofed, if you have a modicum of netskils.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172907 Jul 24, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
A couple of things.

You can send and receive private messages (but that is blockable too, by individual users-- I quite imagine that the hategodbots block all incoming messages, so they can pretend they are not hate-filled).

But, to me? The most important benefit? Is nobody can misuse your name.

I've had grey-boxers attempt that with mine. They had no success, and fooled no one, of course.

The Borderland of Sol

#172908 Jul 24, 2013
<quoted text>
Yes, I knew the thing about urine from a healthy bladder.
I think I also knew the newspaper thing too-- I recall a story where a newborn, born in a cab, was "swaddled" in fresh-from-the-presses newspaper, as nothing else was available (that was sanitary).
But wouldn't the taste of the ink affect the food?
Maybe that was a an added benefit?
<laughing too>
I never noticed.

I miss it anyway.

Lamar, CO

#172909 Jul 24, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Newspaper, as issued, is actually sterile. Combination of heat and the bleaching process, I think.
Laffin.
The issue with newspapers as food wrapping was the lead and chemicals in the ink. Remember when newspapers could bleed when they got wet?
Thinking

Royston, UK

#172910 Jul 24, 2013
I've no control over which town BT reports me as posting from... but staggeringly enough, that is actually my local town. Just 24 minutes to Marylebone, these days.

"Ooh me Chalfonts!" - the best euphemism for haemorrhoids. Ever.
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I go back a long way. And I'm a traditionalist - I still think most rifles should be loaded from the front.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#172911 Jul 24, 2013
I saw newspaper used when I was a child, but there was always plain paper inside too.
<quoted text>

The Borderland of Sol

#172914 Jul 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I've no control over which town BT reports me as posting from... but staggeringly enough, that is actually my local town. Just 24 minutes to Marylebone, these days.
"Ooh me Chalfonts!" - the best euphemism for haemorrhoids. Ever.
<quoted text>
Hehehe. I'd not heard that one.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#172915 Jul 24, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Just jumped on. This is a good place for an Amen, I believe!
C'mon in, the water's fine!

You do know that her entire discourse is based on a fallacy called Pascal's Wager, don't you?

I didn't raise my children to think that a comforting 'white' lie is preferable to the truth or just to go along with the crowd.

Really, all science has is theories? Climb atop a tall building and test that pesky "theory" of gravity why don't you!

Psst....I've heard there are a few sharks in the water.....fair warning;0)

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#172916 Jul 24, 2013
Very well said. But again we are dealing with a person who can't honestly answer even the simplest question. He is unaware if Jesus was born in Mary and Joseph's home in Nazareth or in a manger in Bethlehem.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Funny how the actual way that God chooses to do things is indistinguishable from non-existence.

What is the *test* for the existence of a deity? What observations distinguish a universe with a deity from one without?

Here is another way to ask the question: what test could we perform that, if it goes the way that surprises you, would be sufficient to demonstrate to you that your deity does NOT exist? In what way is your belief falsifiable? How would you know if you are *wrong*?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#172917 Jul 24, 2013
25or6to4 wrote:
<quoted text>
This exchange presumes that God is like a person; that God wants to communicate, has plans, and gets angry if we don't listen to his messages. Why should God be thought of as a person? Is it because we like to project our own experience of reality on some "ultimate reality?" Can God just be some little-understood force, without human emotions? Without human prejudices? Without needing to really "care" at all what goes on in our small brains? I think the major fault of all religions is that they construct an image of God to support pre-existing prejudices and desires. I cannot believe in any notion of God other than total. utter, and unapproachable mysteriousness.
Well said, Chicago. This presumed 'god' loves us, calls us 'His children' and our 'immortal souls' are the goal in a divine scavenger hunt?

I do appreciate the fact that 'He' granted us free will, I mean how much fun can a planet full of zombie worshippers be? The 'God works in mysterious ways' is simply a non answer. It is like telling a person who suffers from severe depression to 'snap out of it.'

Gotta admit though the power plays on people's fears seems to be pretty effective on some and that promised reward of eternal life has a lotta folk jumping through hoops. If I actually thought there was a god, there is no way I could worship such a manipulative, diabolical [email protected]@rd.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172918 Jul 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I saw newspaper used when I was a child, but there was always plain paper inside too.
<quoted text>
That makes sense... you need more than one layer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 min kent 673,179
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 10 min Rider on the Storm 104,691
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 16 min ffj 981,248
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 17 min Peter Ross 445,859
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 28 min ChromiuMan 6,187
News Michael Jackson Called A 'wonderful Humanitarian' (Jul '09) 2 hr Spotted Wee 7,660
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 hr LAWEST100 619,375
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 6 hr Antonio Raviolio 184,619
More from around the web