Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#172488 Jul 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Religion cannot even get the gospels to match up.
<quoted text>
Wanna start a fight?

Ask two Christians what the last words of the Jesus were.
Ol Salt

Ocala, FL

#172490 Jul 18, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Wanna start a fight?
Yo Mac ...

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#172491 Jul 18, 2013
Depends on what chapter of the myth err I mean gospel you read.

I think his last words were... Hey Mom! I can see our house from up here!

Lol :)
macumazahn wrote:

The Borderland of Sol

#172492 Jul 18, 2013
Ol Salt wrote:
<quoted text>
Yo Mac ...
Hi, Saltie.

I worked commercial trawlers on the other side of the North Atlantic once. Back when they were wooden-hulled and maybe 75 feet long.

Ask a WWII Navy vet about the Murmansk Run - it was like that, only up to the neck in herring.

Sheesh. Youth.

The Borderland of Sol

#172493 Jul 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Depends on what chapter of the myth err I mean gospel you read.
I think his last words were... Hey Mom! I can see our house from up here!
Lol :)
<quoted text>
Alternatively:

SORRY!(That was a moral imperative.)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#172494 Jul 18, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I was born here (USA). It's not as if I immigrated by my choice.
I continue to live here, mainly due to family obligations-- you know how those relatives require support.:D
I **have** considered moving elsewhere, and I may, when some family members are no longer breathing.
Meanwhile, I try to do the best I am able, with what I have to work with.
And, living as I do in Oklahomer--the reddest of the red-red states (ironic much? red==communism...) I don't have a lot to work with.
*sigh*
Our states border each other....barely and I'm on the northeast side of you. Deep ruby red here too :D A lot of people here don't seem to realize that there actually is a world beyond the USA.*sigh*

Much family here, too. As some stop breathing, others are just beginning and I probably never will move away. I've grown used to the scenery anyway. I would enjoy traveling some more before I take up the rocking chair, I hope so. Maybe just to a blue state for some fresh air :)

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#172495 Jul 18, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
According to the earliest, and IMEO, most reliable source, His last words were "My God! My God! Why have you abandoned me ?"

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#172496 Jul 18, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the earliest, and IMEO, most reliable source, His last words were "My God! My God! Why have you abandoned me ?"
Yeah, always wondered about that one. Doesn't sound good for the home team, does it?

“Love much, trust none”

There

#172497 Jul 18, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, always wondered about that one. Doesn't sound good for the home team, does it?
That is why the later Gospel tell a different story.

The Jesus of Mark is a far cry from the Christ of John.

Note that Christians think that since Matthew comes before Mark in the Bible that Mark was written later. Their own early church leaders note that the order was based upon content, not age.

Christians are quite clueless about their own religion.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#172498 Jul 18, 2013
I always loved with the scene with all the wannabe messiahs running around in that movie.

We know now that historically that is ironically close to the truth.
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Alternatively: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =jHPOzQzk9QoXX

SORRY!(That was a moral imperative.)

“Love much, trust none”

There

#172499 Jul 18, 2013
The Gospel of Mark is about a failed Jewish Messiah.
The Gospels of Matthew, Luke and John are about a pagan demigod.

Note that nothing in Paul's epistles demonstrate that he knew a single thing in a single Gospel, canonical or otherwise.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#172500 Jul 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I always loved with the scene with all the wannabe messiahs running around in that movie.
We know now that historically that is ironically close to the truth.
<quoted text>
It still is.
In Judaism anyone can be a potential Messiah. Claiming to be the Messiah is not a sin or blasphemy which proves that the Gospel of John is a pack of lies.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172501 Jul 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Religion cannot even get the gospels to match up.
<quoted text>
Yes.

That is one of the most **damning** proofs that the ugly bible isn't remotely divine in any way.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172502 Jul 18, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Well and succinctly put, sir.
Kudos.
Thank you sir.

:D

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172503 Jul 18, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
Indeed.

Or who, specifically, was at Jesus' alleged tomb on Easter morning.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172504 Jul 18, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Our states border each other....barely and I'm on the northeast side of you. Deep ruby red here too :D A lot of people here don't seem to realize that there actually is a world beyond the USA.*sigh*

Much family here, too. As some stop breathing, others are just beginning and I probably never will move away. I've grown used to the scenery anyway. I would enjoy traveling some more before I take up the rocking chair, I hope so. Maybe just to a blue state for some fresh air :)
I like travel. But I hate airplane companies, so I rarely travel...

I have been to a blue state-- alas, my pay scale is commiserate with my extremely low cost of living (one of the few bennies here), and so the blue state was rather costly from my perspective.

But I did enjoy the plethora of choices for interest-- museums and such, aplenty.

A feature that is missing here in a region where most folk are challenged just opening a cardboard 12 pack carton ...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172505 Jul 18, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
See? Clearly that wasn't the safe word he was supposed to use...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172506 Jul 18, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
That is why the later Gospel tell a different story.
The Jesus of Mark is a far cry from the Christ of John.
Note that Christians think that since Matthew comes before Mark in the Bible that Mark was written later. Their own early church leaders note that the order was based upon content, not age.

Christians are quite clueless about their own religion.
Being clueless about the origins is how many of them cope with the fact that their religion does not correspond in any way to reality.

*sigh*

Reality. The one thing that keeps impinging on religion in a negative way.

Does that affect reality in any way? No...

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172508 Jul 18, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
The Gospel of Mark is about a failed Jewish Messiah.
The Gospels of Matthew, Luke and John are about a pagan demigod.

Note that nothing in Paul's epistles demonstrate that he knew a single thing in a single Gospel, canonical or otherwise.
Indeed not. According to the current, best practice (scholarship), Paul's stuff is the oldest that's still around.

And I also find it interesting, that Paul never describes his jesus as a human--ever.

I can easily see how the religion evolved, from a fairly common idea of a celestial-being-savior-sacrifi ce-reborn one.

Into one that sports a human element, with the 1/2 man 1/2 god meme which makes the central figure more ... human, and more accessible than one of pure spirit.

Oh, would that Constantine didn't need a new, custom-written religion to prop up is ailing Empire.

We'd still have a world of thousands upon thousands of completely different, minor religions that nobody really takes seriously.

Instead of a world with 3 major, murderously-competitive ones who think, because of popularity, they are justified in their murderous activities...

... meh.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#172510 Jul 18, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
One guy here said you are truly a sad commentary of the human race.
He says you are a pitiful, sad, and depressed , and pathetic loser.
Most are here wondering what you got caught doing. Your shame is really showing itself.
Keep posting....the store is open 24 hours.
Are there really this many mean, rude, and ego driven people around you? And are you really so bored with your life that you want to waste time sitting at McDonald's talking crap about people on Topix? Don't you have a church function you could be at? lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thousands march in Holocaust memorial (Apr '06) 3 min Clear Dharma 46
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Osmius 778,528
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 min Michael 560,549
Moses never existed 28 min feces for jesus 836
Gay snapchat names 51 min raye 177
SMOKING: One of the dumbest - deadliest human h... 59 min OMG 44
Dark Circle Reduction Treatment 1 hr Helena Grace 1
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 1 hr yon 4,900
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr Ugly Truth from d... 605,347
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr WasteWater 265,472
More from around the web