Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#171809 Jul 12, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF?!
Just because you were designed to work a certain way doesn't mean the designer has to.

Duh?

Oh, so educated one. Just in case you have to see this designer at work and you don't believe in one because you can't see it.

Black holes, dark matter, dark energy.

You can't see them, but they seem to have an effect on everything.

Ask your fellow men, the scientists.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#171810 Jul 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because you were designed to work a certain way doesn't mean the designer has to.
Duh?
Oh, so educated one. Just in case you have to see this designer at work and you don't believe in one because you can't see it.
Black holes, dark matter, dark energy.
You can't see them, but they seem to have an effect on everything.
Ask your fellow men, the scientists.
The difference is seeing an effect dark/matter/energy and making one up designer/creator no visible effect.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#171811 Jul 12, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> The difference is seeing an effect dark/matter/energy and making one up designer/creator no visible effect.
You have a mental block, Aurie.

Have you tried taking a shit?

Don't discount a designer because you haven't decoded the actions you see at work yet.

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#171812 Jul 12, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
IF there was a god youd have NO free will at all,
how long will it take before you comprehend that?
Why do you think the existence of God would cancel out free will?

An omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent God is compatible with free will. Free will exists because God exists. Free will is all about our ability to choose between opposing desires. We can't choose evil if there is no good. There has to be a sense of what is good, to compare evil against. Otherwise we could all just change our opinion and then evil would be blinked out of existence. But evil still exists, and therefore free will exists.

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Location hidden

#171813 Jul 12, 2013
For all you Jesus Mythicists out there, check this out. It's hilarious!

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Location hidden

#171814 Jul 12, 2013

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#171815 Jul 12, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>lol...yes I am aware of that...your question was who invented time, and that answer that I gave you was that time is a man invented tool to measure day from night, and months from years.
No it was not. The post I responded to claimed man invented time. I responded who created time. As I am well aware that man did not create time.
The Clock merely counts at a predetermined pace.

We still can not measure time, as we are now fully aware of all the items that effect time. We do know Gravity effects time. But what else? We only know 2% of the universe so we cannot hope to explain so much with so little knowledge.
Imhotep

Howey In The Hills, FL

#171816 Jul 12, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
IF there was a god youd have NO free will at all,
how long will it take before you comprehend that?
Lmao!

If this gift truly required nothing as the claim says, then you wouldn't have to accept it to be saved.

This line of reasoning is used repeatedly by those trolling for converts in schools, offices, on TV, and just about anywhere else you find an aggressive member of the cult of Jesus.

It's the same nonsense that is spewed and taught in Bible study classrooms in most churches.

The problem is that the gift of salvation as taught in the Bible is anything but free.

It first requires that you perform a work. That work is believing Jesus is your Savior and that only he can serve as your intermediary with God.

Of course it also means that you accept all the baggage that goes along with that.

It means you accept as truth that this "God" will punish people for the "sin" of disbelief(Mark 16:16, John 16:9, John 3:18, John 3:36, Heb 3:12, 1 John 2:22), it requires that you worship a God who will provide infinite punishment for finite sins, and it requires that you accept a God with the behavior of a rather manipulative, power hungry, petty tyrant.

It means you must abandon your mind to save your soul.

You must confess Jesus is your Lord and worship him as such.

That act is a "work" in itself. Faith is also a work.

Make no mistake concerning the actual nature of this so-called "free" gift.

Salvation is exchanged for worship and it's nothing more than a holy barter system where you say the magic words and you are saved.

On the surface it's cheap, easy, and painless. It appeals to anyone who doesn't want to be burdened with thinking for themselves, but it's in no sense "free".

This form of holy fire insurance is nothing more than false advertising and should be treated with the same regard one would have when he opens a box of Cracker Jacks and digs out the cheap trinket that came as a "free" gift when you purchased the box it came in.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#171817 Jul 12, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care.
I don't believe you.

Location hidden

#171818 Jul 12, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>You have your faith , but fact remains you got nothing physical , or first hand that is compelling.
Nothing that would stand up as evidence in a court of law.
It's a faith based religion. We see you have plenty.
I am a nonbeliever, not only do I not believe in your Jesus, for credibility of story reasons. I do not believe you either, you not nothing. And if anyone could prove Jesus existed... they already would have.
Your the one to talk.

The Big Bang could not have happened it's a paradox!

Time started 13.7 billion years ago.
With out time nothing can happen.
There is nothing with out time.
Therefore your BB requires Time to come into existence from nothing and with out Time. It could not have happened.

Location hidden

#171819 Jul 12, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>Well I could attempt to pull that one out of my ass, but I won't...I could google it, but I really don't feel like reading through all that garbage cause it will go back and forth on there too, since there is no specific person that "invented" it.

Let's just say that even if "god" created day and night...man would have had to have invented a tool to measure time so that we could use time as we needed to. That should make sense to you. I haven't ever read in the bible where "god" created the clock.
Huge difference between creating time and creating a clock.

Location hidden

#171820 Jul 12, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>Your brain dementia exists in the universe. Your posts prove it...over and over again.
That's nice

Location hidden

#171821 Jul 12, 2013
ignorance is bliss86 wrote:
<quoted text>now your just shifting your burden of proof on to the rational and sesible thinking people on here again you have no proof what so ever that god exsist

prove your god exsist right now.
Prove he doesn't exist right now. LOL

What a Dolt.

Location hidden

#171822 Jul 12, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Your the one to talk.
The Big Bang could not have happened it's a paradox!
Time started 13.7 billion years ago.
With out time nothing can happen.
There is nothing with out time.
Therefore your BB requires Time to come into existence from nothing and with out Time. It could not have happened.
We require time, but what makes you think gravity requires time? What makes you think a photon requires time?
But more importantly nothing in the BBT states it required time, to happen, it does however state that time.... is one of the inevitable results of it. Nothing states an infinitesimal requires time, in fact in infinite gravity, it would take an infinite amount of time for one second to pass.
Imhotep

Howey In The Hills, FL

#171823 Jul 12, 2013

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Location hidden

#171824 Jul 12, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Lmao!
If this gift truly required nothing as the claim says, then you wouldn't have to accept it to be saved.
This line of reasoning is used repeatedly by those trolling for converts in schools, offices, on TV, and just about anywhere else you find an aggressive member of the cult of Jesus.
It's the same nonsense that is spewed and taught in Bible study classrooms in most churches.
The problem is that the gift of salvation as taught in the Bible is anything but free.
It first requires that you perform a work. That work is believing Jesus is your Savior and that only he can serve as your intermediary with God.
Of course it also means that you accept all the baggage that goes along with that.
It means you accept as truth that this "God" will punish people for the "sin" of disbelief(Mark 16:16, John 16:9, John 3:18, John 3:36, Heb 3:12, 1 John 2:22), it requires that you worship a God who will provide infinite punishment for finite sins, and it requires that you accept a God with the behavior of a rather manipulative, power hungry, petty tyrant.
It means you must abandon your mind to save your soul.
You must confess Jesus is your Lord and worship him as such.
That act is a "work" in itself. Faith is also a work.
Make no mistake concerning the actual nature of this so-called "free" gift.
Salvation is exchanged for worship and it's nothing more than a holy barter system where you say the magic words and you are saved.
On the surface it's cheap, easy, and painless. It appeals to anyone who doesn't want to be burdened with thinking for themselves, but it's in no sense "free".
This form of holy fire insurance is nothing more than false advertising and should be treated with the same regard one would have when he opens a box of Cracker Jacks and digs out the cheap trinket that came as a "free" gift when you purchased the box it came in.
That's a warped description. Very warped. Let's start with "Grace".

What is grace? Grace is divine love bestowed freely upon people. Eternal favor and love from one who is not required to give it, but does so anyway. We are saved by God's grace. Jesus' death on the cross was a blood oath that we are saved by God's grace. When a gift is given, it's up to the recipient to decide whether or not the gift will be accepted. If we truly appreciate the gift, we want to give something back. What can we give an omnipotent God that he doesn't already have? Our love and our loyalty. That requires thought. It requires that we think about our actions and how they affect others.
Out of that appreciation and deep thought springs forth a new desire to serve others. In that service, we can donate our time, our money, our energy, our talents. We don't do it for publicity. We do it because the unfortunate need it more than we do.

Are there crooks and scammers in our midst who would like us to believe they're true Christians? Yep.

Are there self-righteous bigots who think they're holier-than-thou and everyone else is going to hell in a hand-basket? Yep.

What does that show?

It shows that people with less than honest intentions can misrepresent others in relation to a specific group.

Does it mean the entire theological basis of Christianity is false? No.

Location hidden

#171825 Jul 12, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>We require time, but what makes you think gravity requires time? What makes you think a photon requires time?
But more importantly nothing in the BBT states it required time, to happen, it does however state that time.... is one of the inevitable results of it. Nothing states an infinitesimal requires time, in fact in infinite gravity, it would take an infinite amount of time for one second to pass.
This is why I laid the ground work questions.

"KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying when there was no time there was nothing....Zipville.....elnodd o...goose Egg?
And time started "about" 13.7 billion years ago? Is that right?
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>That is *one* of the possibilities, yes.
"

"But more importantly nothing in the BBT states it required time, to happen,"

Oh but Polly has made it very clear that nothing could happen with our time.

Nothing could exist with out time.

For anything to change it requires time.

Location hidden

#171826 Jul 12, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>We require time, but what makes you think gravity requires time? What makes you think a photon requires time?
Time is time regardless of how much. There must still be some time involved.

Just as A two dimensional object can not exist in our universe, anything without time cannot exist.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#171827 Jul 12, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a warped description. Very warped. Let's start with "Grace".
What is grace? Grace is divine love bestowed freely upon people. Eternal favor and love from one who is not required to give it, but does so anyway. We are saved by God's grace. Jesus' death on the cross was a blood oath that we are saved by God's grace. When a gift is given, it's up to the recipient to decide whether or not the gift will be accepted. If we truly appreciate the gift, we want to give something back. What can we give an omnipotent God that he doesn't already have? Our love and our loyalty. That requires thought. It requires that we think about our actions and how they affect others.
Out of that appreciation and deep thought springs forth a new desire to serve others. In that service, we can donate our time, our money, our energy, our talents. We don't do it for publicity. We do it because the unfortunate need it more than we do.
Are there crooks and scammers in our midst who would like us to believe they're true Christians? Yep.
Are there self-righteous bigots who think they're holier-than-thou and everyone else is going to hell in a hand-basket? Yep.
What does that show?
It shows that people with less than honest intentions can misrepresent others in relation to a specific group.
Does it mean the entire theological basis of Christianity is false? No.
"A blood oath"

hahaaa

Ridiculous.

Location hidden

#171829 Jul 12, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Time is time regardless of how much. There must still be some time involved.
Just as A two dimensional object can not exist in our universe, anything without time cannot exist.

Ah but you're wrong, on both counts.
Time dilates with gravity, so in infinite gravity it can be stationary. Therefore no motion of time. Also the physical reality we know, has been observed by quantum effect that it can indeed be broken down into two dimensions. 3D can become 2D+2D as mind boggling as it sounds, it has been observed.

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2006/june7/flat...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Hidingfromyou 797,655
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min Pad 568,890
Do white girls like Hispanic guys? (Girls who a... (Jan '14) 22 min Basque_Spaniards 17
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 24 min WasteWater 267,670
sexy boobs (Jul '14) 56 min LALIT KUMAR 4
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 1 hr Hatti_Hollerand 4,574
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 1 hr MUQ1 38,072
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Peace_Warrior 607,280
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Mar '14) 9 hr Fred 178
More from around the web