Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more
Imhotep

Howey In The Hills, FL

#171611 Jul 10, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG I can't help but laugh and shake my head in contemptuous amazement and amusement. Look back over your posts. It's all bias on your side of the argument. The fact is that you don't WANT Jesus to have existed. The evidence we do have is as good as it's going to get which tells me just one thing. You're either incredibly unrealistic, or flat out lazy in your arguments. He existed like it or not as Bart Ehrman says. Debate whether or not he rose from the dead. Debate whether or not he did miracles. But debate his existence? History is hearsay. ALL OF HISTORY is hearsay. Did Lincoln live? Did Ben Franklin live? Did Martin Luther live?
You're in denial of fact.
Feel free to disprove this!

These alleged 'saviours/prophets' exist only in holy books, which themselves are copied from previous legends and myths.

"In fact, the quest for Biblical accounts of ancient Egypt at least into the 19th Dynasty of Egypt's New Kingdom, take on an interesting approach by most investigators. Essentially, since there is no evidence to clearly support the existence of Joseph, or Moses, or the Israeli Exodus, most of the investigation examines what was possible, what cannot be ruled out, or what fits into and Egyptian context.

In other words, is it possible that such events or people could have existed from what we know of ancient Egypt.

Some specifics are very possible, such as Joseph's rise to importance in the Egyptian court.

Other events, such as the Exodus, as specifically told in the Bible, are much more difficult.

Though the Egyptians may not have liked to record defeats, it would seem very probable that, were the disasters inflicted upon them as detailed in the Bible, there would have survived some textual evidence.

For example, the Egyptians recorded events such as eclipses of the sun and the levels of the Nile Flood.

Were the Nile to have turned to blood and every firstborn child suddenly have died, not to mention all of the other plagues mentioned in Exodus, there would have doubtless been some record left, particularly during the New Kingdom. Tomb records frequently provide us with the most meager of details, and we have, from that period, many thousands of documents recording civil actions and even commercial contracts."

"Despite the mass of contemporary records that have been unearthed in Egypt, not one historical reference to the presence of the Israelites has yet been found there. Not a single mention of Joseph, the Pharaoh's 'Grand Vizier'. Not a word about Moses, or the spectacular flight from Egypt and the destruction of the pursuing Egyptian army."
Magnus Magnusson (The Archaeology of the Bible Lands - BC, p43)

For many centuries the Egyptians were present in Palestine, controlling the trade routes and importing the timber, olive oil and minerals not found in Egypt.

Archaeology has uncovered dramatic evidence of this pervasive Egyptian presence in 'Canaan'– yet nowhere does the Bible refer to Egyptians outside of Egypt.

It would spoil the story!

How could Hebrews escape into the promised land if the Bible admitted Egyptians were running the show there too?

"Neither Moses, nor an enslaved Israel nor the event of this Exodus are recorded in any known ancient records outside the Bible ...
Although its climate has preserved the tiniest traces of ancient bedouin encampments and the sparse 5000-year-old villages of mine workers there is not a single trace of Moses or the Israelites."
– John Romer, Testament

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#171612 Jul 10, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>We are to fear God because he has the power to forgive us. God also pities those who fear him. When we submit to God, we surrender and give God dominion and control.
So christians are slaves
Imhotep

Howey In The Hills, FL

#171613 Jul 10, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, evidence is the key, I have done quite a lot of reading on Ramses and nowhere is (his supposed friend) Moses mentioned
Je fais comme la nourriture des Caraïbes et de la nourriture créole. Vraiment j'aime presque tous les aliments
Frit Turquie, a été connu ici depuis des années, laissé par le dîner de Noël, personnellement, je préfère le confit de canard
Mais le café Blue Mountain est beaucoup trop faible à mon goût, j'aime le caféà moi wow. J'ai mon propre mélange de 10% yéménite moka, 50%(espresso torréfié) arabica et 40% Taylors après sombre
I had no idea they deep-fried turkey abroad!
The coffee mixture sounds tantalizing.
Does it have a high caffeine content?

I like the robust flavor of blue Mountain.
We have friends that are from Ethiopia, Living now in Amsterdam, they send us coffee from there which is very good.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#171614 Jul 10, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
We're not made from dirt! god does not exist and the bible is a book of hate and lies and evolution is true
i recommend homeopathy for you!
We did not come from apes evolution is a lie.. The bible is the holy word of GOD ALMIGHTY! I recommend for you to get into a good sunday school... And stop making a total @ss outta yourself

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#171615 Jul 10, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
I had no idea they deep-fried turkey abroad!
The coffee mixture sounds tantalizing.
Does it have a high caffeine content?
I like the robust flavor of blue Mountain.
We have friends that are from Ethiopia, Living now in Amsterdam, they send us coffee from there which is very good.
GOD makes good coffee!

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#171616 Jul 10, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
So christians are slaves
Christians are forgiven.. atheist are slaves to the evil one

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#171617 Jul 10, 2013
Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch that ego, your book claims that your god doesn't like it when you have one.
Those who are filled with pride, arrogance, the “know it alls” who are filled with unbelief are unable to receive even a word,of the one book the bible..

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#171618 Jul 10, 2013
I'm not going to comment on your fascination with dildos. What you and Buck do with each other is your personal business.

So we know the NT writers stole from Plato and Socrates, so what? That only reinforces that the myth has stolen much from other people, not proof that Jesus existed.

I keep waiting for you to factually prove me wrong on something... And waiting... And waiting... And zzzzzzz waiting.

Until you are able to do as such your insults are a projection, nothing more.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>I will bet you their influence was incorporated into Christianity. Didn't you say something about Greeks and such editing myths and stories and so forth?

You are full of shit, Butch. You are showing your incoherency of thought and wishful thinking. You lack the ability to see how things flow and meld. Textbook learning without expanding the subjects.

Go charge up your Johnson.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#171619 Jul 10, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Christians are forgiven.. atheist are slaves to the evil one
So your fictional god is evil

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#171621 Jul 10, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
You're in denial of fact.
Feel free to disprove this!
These alleged 'saviours/prophets' exist only in holy books, which themselves are copied from previous legends and myths.
"In fact, the quest for Biblical accounts of ancient Egypt at least into the 19th Dynasty of Egypt's New Kingdom, take on an interesting approach by most investigators. Essentially, since there is no evidence to clearly support the existence of Joseph, or Moses, or the Israeli Exodus, most of the investigation examines what was possible, what cannot be ruled out, or what fits into and Egyptian context.
In other words, is it possible that such events or people could have existed from what we know of ancient Egypt.
Some specifics are very possible, such as Joseph's rise to importance in the Egyptian court.
Other events, such as the Exodus, as specifically told in the Bible, are much more difficult.
Though the Egyptians may not have liked to record defeats, it would seem very probable that, were the disasters inflicted upon them as detailed in the Bible, there would have survived some textual evidence.
For example, the Egyptians recorded events such as eclipses of the sun and the levels of the Nile Flood.
Were the Nile to have turned to blood and every firstborn child suddenly have died, not to mention all of the other plagues mentioned in Exodus, there would have doubtless been some record left, particularly during the New Kingdom. Tomb records frequently provide us with the most meager of details, and we have, from that period, many thousands of documents recording civil actions and even commercial contracts."
"Despite the mass of contemporary records that have been unearthed in Egypt, not one historical reference to the presence of the Israelites has yet been found there. Not a single mention of Joseph, the Pharaoh's 'Grand Vizier'. Not a word about Moses, or the spectacular flight from Egypt and the destruction of the pursuing Egyptian army."
Magnus Magnusson (The Archaeology of the Bible Lands - BC, p43)
For many centuries the Egyptians were present in Palestine, controlling the trade routes and importing the timber, olive oil and minerals not found in Egypt.
Archaeology has uncovered dramatic evidence of this pervasive Egyptian presence in 'Canaan'– yet nowhere does the Bible refer to Egyptians outside of Egypt.
It would spoil the story!
How could Hebrews escape into the promised land if the Bible admitted Egyptians were running the show there too?
"Neither Moses, nor an enslaved Israel nor the event of this Exodus are recorded in any known ancient records outside the Bible ...
Although its climate has preserved the tiniest traces of ancient bedouin encampments and the sparse 5000-year-old villages of mine workers there is not a single trace of Moses or the Israelites."
– John Romer, Testament
http://www.france24.com/en/20130709-unique-eg...

Guess they didn't record everything.
Imhotep

Howey In The Hills, FL

#171623 Jul 10, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>GOD makes good coffee!
I certainly hope so!

Everything else he allegedly made... Died.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#171624 Jul 10, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
The quote reference he was referring to was about I See You. Why are you so dishonest and unwilling to admit your wickedness, atheist?
I have no wickedness to admit to, you little twerp.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#171625 Jul 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Time is a dimension, so what caused height? or length or width?
What ever caused them caused time. Must have been the expansion in the Big Bang?
Nothing can exist or move with out time.

2 demential objects also do not exist in our universe. Didn't you know this?

How can the BB come about with out time?

Where did time come from if nothing existed with out it?

Location hidden

#171626 Jul 10, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>Time was man made...you should already know that.
What man created time?

Location hidden

#171627 Jul 10, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>God required a human sacrifice to be happy and you call that "love" ?

I am so glad you folks hate me.
Where is that written?

“Move into the light.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#171628 Jul 10, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not speculation, there is evidence to verify every aspect of my statement. There is even "religious" documentation of who impregnated Mary, no time travellers or goddidit involved. However you are correct, it cannot, by omissions of a precise name be substantiated as the “jesus” story. Given the evidence though, it is a far more logical conclusion as indicated the multiple lines of evidence. I am not saying this is fact, I am saying it is logically more acceptable than “I believe jesus did it but I have no evidence.”
Lets put it this way, I am a great believer in evidence, I have seen Panteras grave and I have read the Tanakh, both evidence. I have studied the roman archives for the times of the Flavius dynasty, I have seen translations of the roman tax and military records. Many religious would say that such documentation is not to be trusted (because it contradicts their faith) but I would say that Romans were extremely pernickety record keepers, why, because the empire (and the jobs of the record keepers) depended on it.
Never once have I seen any evidence to contradict my post and only in the “unverified” babble have I seen reference to jesus.
Yet there is no evidence of Jesus, except you saying you can prove Jesus. You can prove there is another hypothesis that has
more speculation. If Jesus could be proven it would have been done.

I may find this a more plausible explanation , but it too is based on speculation.

“Move into the light.”

Location hidden

#171629 Jul 10, 2013
Thinking wrote:
According to Holly, Plato invented the plate.
<quoted text>
lol 2 funny

Location hidden

#171630 Jul 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Causality requires time: it links a caused event to an earlier causing event.

Because causality requires time to already exist, it is impossible for time itself to be caused. In other words, it did not 'come from' anything.
Scientific Fact is that time did not always exist. NOTHING can exist with out time, NOTHING can move or change with out time, NOTHING can happen with out time.

So your science claims that everything came from NOTHING.

||||||||||

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying when there was no time there was nothing....Zipville.....elnodd o...goose Egg?
And time started "about" 13.7 billion years ago? Is that right?
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>That is *one* of the possibilities, yes.

“Move into the light.”

Location hidden

#171631 Jul 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
All of Socrates is hearsay. Plato and this guy are the only ones that claimed to know him.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/650...
Show me that guy and Socrates existed by official records.
"As Socrates did not write philosophical texts, the knowledge of the man, his life, and his philosophy is entirely based on writings by his students and contemporaries. Foremost among them is Plato; however, works by Xenophon, Aristotle, and Aristophanes also provide important insights.[4] The difficulty of finding the “real” Socrates arises because these works are often philosophical or dramatic texts rather than straightforward histories. Aside from Thucydides (who makes no mention of Socrates or philosophers in general) and Xenophon, there are in fact no straightforward histories contemporary with Socrates that dealt with his own time and place. A corollary of this is that sources that do mention Socrates do not necessarily claim to be historically accurate, and are often partisan (those who prosecuted and convicted Socrates have left no testament). Historians therefore face the challenge of reconciling the various texts that come from these men to create an accurate and consistent account of Socrates' life and work. The result of such an effort is not necessarily realistic, merely consistent."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socrates
I know, loony, I just don't want to believe.
He does sound a bit like Jesus.
It is a first hand account by text attributed to a specific writer. Stronger evidence than any biblical account of Jesus, but not airtight.
I give it a 25% chance over the 50/50 it's real 75% chance its real. And the Jesus has 50/50.

“Move into the light.”

Location hidden

#171632 Jul 10, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
What man created time?
Man didn't create time, just ways to measure it. But time at the same time , time itself is a human construct. It 8is a dimension we have discovered ways to measure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min New Age Spiritual... 818,317
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 min Only Remnant of 1... 609,940
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 10 min Holy Virgin Dr Sh... 39,985
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min RealEyesRealizeLies 579,380
Gay skype sex teens only 13 min tafes2009 2
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 18 min WelbyMD 270,207
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 19 min Seentheotherside 2,037
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 7 hr uknaked 98,013
More from around the web