Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 8,233)

Showing posts 164,641 - 164,660 of218,172
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you confuse 'uncaused' with 'impossible'?
Why do think that's a legit reason that time can exist from nothing.(Which of course is impossible)

Uncaused - is this the name of your Deity?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing like having conflicting accounts and beliefs in your official documentation to prove it was all one gigantic conspiracy, eh? Adds that touch of real experts, don't you know? All without the benefit of mass communications or rapid transportation.
Gee, you know what, come to think of it? THE WHOLE ROMAN EMPIRE MAY NOT HAVE EXISTED!! It could have just been a conspiracy to believe it existed for some nefarious purpose.
You are ridiculous.
There was major league social disruption in the area for a hundred years after, and Rome had lots of other problems to deal with besides Judea. Lots of building and records burned during the revolts. Not only destruction from the war, but also competing ideologies and religions of the area.
It is beyond ridiculous that christians believe that the Romans would not have documented Jesus Christ's being. If he was around doing the things that is claimed in the bible it would have been documented, and it wasn't. Now that is obvious, and if you deny that then you are simply being stubborn and ignorant about history.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>
And atheist are
slaves to sin,
homosexuals,
thieves,
drunkards,
slanderers,
swindlers,
wicked,
Just to name a few!
I am none of these things, and I am a non-believer.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
"(Time) it does not 'come from' anything. "
Correct! You've cleared this up once again, thanks.
Times existence is impossible got it!
Uncaused funny!
Time is a dimension, so what caused height? or length or width?
What ever caused them caused time. Must have been the expansion in the Big Bang?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, this is where we disagree.(Yes I finally registered so this is my username now) I believe there is evidence that God has restored life. Now whether you believe that evidence amounts to conclusive proof is another matter entirely. That evidence is the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
If the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, & John are true eyewitness reports (as I believe they are) then yes God has restored limbs when Jesus cured lepers. Leprosy is a very nasty disease that causes people to lose limbs. And if there is going to be a world-wide resurrection of the dead at Christ's second coming, then we can expect that we will be given new bodies that are superior to what we possess now.
<quoted text>
Yes people should be skeptical. But not all things are made up. In truth, Christians are called to be open minded (even if fundamentalists don't believe it). Open minded does not mean being gullible. It means considering both natural and supernatural processes. We should consider natural processes up to the point where natural processes cannot sufficiently account for a majority of the data. At that point we are to begin looking to see if there is a supernatural explanation, but without forcing it to fit our beliefs.
I think you need to revisit the definite of evidence. There ARE THREE interacting words here....EVIDENCE....FACTS....a nd INFORMATION.....FACT..."t his which is INDISPUTABLY the case".......EVIDENCE..... ."Available body of FACTS or INFORMATION indicating whether a belief is true or valid." ....INFORMATION..."FACTS provided or learned about something or someone."

You have NO evidence that Jesus rose fro the dead. You have an ancient book, who's authorship is unknown, telling a story about a resurrection. You may believe it if you like but it hardly counts as any kind of evidence. Once again your holy book is basically a male dominated bureaucracy deriving its authority from anonymously authored ancient tales and antiquated edicts.

Evidence ALWAYS amounts to conclusive proof. Thats how we determine if something is true or not. How can you for one moment think that a story from an ancient book constitutes evidence?

The gospels are not eyewitness accounts, even theologians will tell you that. Here are some quotes by biblical scholars i regards to the gospels.

"The Gospels written by MARK were NOT actually written by Mark. We know little of who the author was circa 65 CE. We don't even know his name. Mark's name has been used as a primary source over the course of thousands of years. The Gospels have been altered multiple times."

"The evidence for the existence of Jesus all comes from AFTER HIS LIFETIME." Most scholars believe not everything contained in the gospels to be historically reliable. The elements whose historical authenticity is disputed include, but are not limited to, the 2 accounts of the Nativity of Jesus, as well as the resurrection and the crucifixion."

"The evidence for the existence of Jesus ALL came from after his lifetime. Biblical scholars have created this historical Jesus in their own image. The gospel accounts are so mythical in nature that nothing, not even the existence of Christ can be determined from them."

I have more, but as you can see, even biblical scholars are uncertain of the existence of Christ let alone his resurrection.

NEVER.....EVER in recorded history has there been an instance where a missing limb has been miraculously replaced. Theists all proclaim that prayers are in fact answered, but NEVER those of an amputee.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did Time come from?
This is not a religious question.
This is not a lack of faith question.
This is a science question pertaining to your 3 myths.
Your 3 BIG Myths:
1) the Big Bang when nothing exploded
and created everything.
2) rain falling on rocks and settling in a mud puddle and spontaneous self generating life sprang forth.
3) plants evolving into plant eating animals.
And when I snap my fingers you will wake up and believe these 3 myths as if they were fact.
"SNAP"
Time was man made...you should already know that.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I am none of these things, and I am a non-believer.
in spiritual darkness,
under the power of Satan,
separated from Christ,
without hope,
without God in this world,
foolish,
disobedient,
deceived,

you're all these things IMO

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Time was man made...you should already know that.
GOD made day & night!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, this is where we disagree.(Yes I finally registered so this is my username now) I believe there is evidence that God has restored life. Now whether you believe that evidence amounts to conclusive proof is another matter entirely. That evidence is the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
If the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, & John are true eyewitness reports (as I believe they are) then yes God has restored limbs when Jesus cured lepers. Leprosy is a very nasty disease that causes people to lose limbs. And if there is going to be a world-wide resurrection of the dead at Christ's second coming, then we can expect that we will be given new bodies that are superior to what we possess now.
<quoted text>
Yes people should be skeptical. But not all things are made up. In truth, Christians are called to be open minded (even if fundamentalists don't believe it). Open minded does not mean being gullible. It means considering both natural and supernatural processes. We should consider natural processes up to the point where natural processes cannot sufficiently account for a majority of the data. At that point we are to begin looking to see if there is a supernatural explanation, but without forcing it to fit our beliefs.
Of course things are made up. Christians have made up heaven and hell. At one point the Catholic church made up a place called LIMBO. Some years later they renounced this made up place. Religion in general has made up many different accounts of the creation of the universe and our planet. Christians made up the global flood, angels, demons, Satan, the parting of the Red Sea, they make up all sorts of things.

How can you ever arrive at a "supernatural explanation?" There is only ONE realm, that of the naturalistic realm, in it is contained all we know and experience. NOTHING can be known of the supernatural realm, a non-existent realm. So no, we do not look for explanation in the supernatural, its pointless as there can be NO information gathered from that which does not exist. We should consider natural processes only, at the point were natural processes cannot sufficiently account for the data, then it simply becomes UNKNOWN. Here is the great downfall of the Theist, its called...GOD OF THE GAPS. When science cannot account for data, the Theists LEAPS quickly and fills the gap with GOD. Rather than search for the real answer, God becomes a substitute. The major problem for the Theist here, is that for thousands of years science has slowly replaced God causes, with the real answers. Thunder and lightning, disease, volcanos and earthquakes, all Gods realm, then science told us the real answers. Those who play the god of the gaps games face the fact that as science discovers more and more, God becomes an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
Another Satan-bot spamming the "Big Bang Did It" junkery.
Satan is part of YOUR belief...not mine.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>GOD made day & night!!!
Day and night occur because of our orbit around the sun, and I have no idea if "god" had a hand in it, but so far science has given me more answers than "god" ever did.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>
in spiritual darkness,
under the power of Satan,
separated from Christ,
without hope,
without God in this world,
foolish,
disobedient,
deceived,
you're all these things IMO
You have a right to your opinion, but you are incorrect in all of these except for separated from Christ, without "god" in this world.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it was documented , you lying bigot.
No actually...it was not.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
If the accounts of the Bible did not occur, then why didn't a group of atheists ever "free think" to write an anti-Bible? I think we all know they are liars.
Lol...this has got to be one of your best ones yet! Why would anyone have a need to write an anti-bible? lol

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Day and night occur because of our orbit around the sun, and I have no idea if "god" had a hand in it, but so far science has given me more answers than "god" ever did.
GOD made them all

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Satan is part of YOUR belief...not mine.
thats what you think! I think satan owns your soul

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
If the accounts of the Bible did not occur, then why didn't a group of atheists ever "free think" to write an anti-Bible? I think we all know they are liars.
Because it isn't concerned with your religious dogma.
Feel free to write your anti-science book.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a right to your opinion, but you are incorrect in all of these except for separated from Christ, without "god" in this world.
He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters" (Matt. 12:30).
"There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day" (Jn. 12:48).
being an atheist is like playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun... real dumb

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>thats what you think! I think satan owns your soul
I thought that you believed that "god" held everyone's soul....???? Isn't he the one that's supposed to own everyone's soul?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters" (Matt. 12:30).
"There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day" (Jn. 12:48).
being an atheist is like playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun... real dumb
The only thing that this verse says to me is that you worship a "god" who is so egotistical he thinks he should be able to scare me into loving him. I will never believe in the biblical "god", and that is only one of the reasons why.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 164,641 - 164,660 of218,172
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

550 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Divinity Surgeon 682,983
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 13 min Dang It 110,381
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 38 min andet1987 791
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 40 min Gods R Delusions x Mine 513,521
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 40 min andet1987 3,995
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 40 min RADEKT 250,743
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 57 min Ed Teach 52,636
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Internet dr Pipke 596,815
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 hr EdmondWA 89,782
•••
•••
•••