Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244931 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#171593 Jul 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>:-)

You two are amusing. So innocent.

Existence is so simple for you.

Be careful about moving into the deeper portions of the pool of knowledge and thought of mankind. You will drown if you aren't careful.
You wanted to be a philosopher when you were a kid, didn't you.
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#171594 Jul 10, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I wouldn't call God nothing. That is taking Gods name in vain and is deadly, it's considered a sin against Gods person. Those are the deadliest sins you can commit. You are making yourself an enemy of God which means certain death.
Nothing gets out of life, alive.:O)

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#171595 Jul 10, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
i hope you don't go to the doctor and get modern medicine because according to you they are built on a lie go for the homeopathic "medicine"
all medicine is a gift from GOD ALMIGHTY...

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#171596 Jul 10, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Socrates was a secular figure not a religious one Dave.

Sorry but you are really humiliating yourself now.
Some idiot somewhere thinks he's brilliant.

Scary.
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#171597 Jul 10, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>
You people are just jealous of my superior intellect, superior sense of self, superior understanding of everyone elses shortcomings and superior over bearing attitude.
Just admit I am right and ALL OF THE REST OF YOU are misguided, mean spirited and wrong.
atheist are dumb
Watch that ego, your book claims that your god doesn't like it when you have one.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#171598 Jul 10, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>all medicine is a gift from GOD ALMIGHTY...
No it isn't because god does not exist!

medicine is built on theory of evolution not the bible

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#171599 Jul 10, 2013
Wait now you say Socrates believed in divinity? This whole time you have been arguing that he didn't exist. You even went so far as to compare him to Santa remember?

His wacky god beliefs have nothing to do with the Socratic method, so as usual your point is moot.

And no it doesn't work that way. Why?

If Socrates didn't exist an let's say was just made up by Plato for example... We have lost nothing because the Socratic method is what is important. I know of nobody that worships Socrates as a god, even Plato himself argued and vigorously disagreed with him at times. Nobody is flying planes into buildings based on their opinion of Socrates life and deeds. Nothing changes if Socrates didn't actually exist and was made up.

Now if Jesus didn't exist what changes? A while hell of a lot! Daily people are killed and tortured because of people's take on him. Counties go to war. About all the violence in the Middle East with Muslims angry that Jews reject him. Laws daily that infringe on people's rights, safety are made because of what some lawmaker thinks Jesus would want. Not to mention the billions who have suffered and died as a result of religion using him to impede medical progress.... All this madness death and suffering and all over a man who not one person has been able to show credible historical proof he existed.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Then you should understand why Jesus is the same.

You read the words of Socrates, and you read the words of men that interpret what he said. Do the same with Jesus.

Socrates believed in divinity.

Louisville, KY

#171600 Jul 10, 2013
Don't you find it odd that even his own supposed followers took decades after his death to write about him? That a man who never even met him was the first to write about him?

Don't you think of all the famous historians walking around in Jerusalem documenting people and activities would mention this so called miracle man had he existed?

Okay let's pretend this is a history class. Stop stalling and show this proof that he existed. Not popular opinion but actual proof.
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>The evidence we do have is as good as it's going to get. We accept that. Most scholars of history accept that. Those that don't are incredibly naive concerning the way history is written.

Okay, let's say this is a history class. You're the student. How would you proceed to find a historical record of anybody? How would you go about proving that somebody existed?

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#171601 Jul 10, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
No it isn't because god does not exist!
medicine is built on theory of evolution not the bible
evolution is a lie! GOD made man, GOD made everything.. GOD made science..God made you! that proves he has a sense of humor...
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#171602 Jul 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
All of Socrates is hearsay. Plato and this guy are the only ones that claimed to know him.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/650...
Show me that guy and Socrates existed by official records.
"As Socrates did not write philosophical texts, the knowledge of the man, his life, and his philosophy is entirely based on writings by his students and contemporaries. Foremost among them is Plato; however, works by Xenophon, Aristotle, and Aristophanes also provide important insights.[4] The difficulty of finding the “real” Socrates arises because these works are often philosophical or dramatic texts rather than straightforward histories. Aside from Thucydides (who makes no mention of Socrates or philosophers in general) and Xenophon, there are in fact no straightforward histories contemporary with Socrates that dealt with his own time and place. A corollary of this is that sources that do mention Socrates do not necessarily claim to be historically accurate, and are often partisan (those who prosecuted and convicted Socrates have left no testament). Historians therefore face the challenge of reconciling the various texts that come from these men to create an accurate and consistent account of Socrates' life and work. The result of such an effort is not necessarily realistic, merely consistent."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socrates
I know, loony, I just don't want to believe.
He does sound a bit like Jesus.
Pay attention, I was responding to the contention that ALL HISTORY IS HEARSAY.

Ok, I'm with ya on this....neither Plato or Jesus actually existed.
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#171603 Jul 10, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
"(Time) it does not 'come from' anything. "
Correct! You've cleared this up once again, thanks.
Times existence is impossible got it!
Uncaused funny!
Time :O):O) changes to suit the one concerned with it. I lived 20 years where it was either day or night, nothing in between. Time is only in the minds of the thinking animals. I doudt very much if the universe is concerned with time.

Louisville, KY

#171604 Jul 10, 2013
Meaning you know it's an apologetic Christian website but hope everyone will look the other way and pretend it's not biased?

Okay let's look at this website's facts not opinions shall we?

The forged Tacitus passage is funny! As if a roman imperial would call Jesus the Christ or savior! Ridiculous he would have been fired and flogged for writing such a statement. Ignoring that he is merely stating actions of Christians. This is proof of Christians not proof that Jesus existed.

Pliny is decades later and again he is discussing Christians. This proves there is Christians but not proof of Jesus. In both of these cases we can find these people discussing worshipers of Hercules and other gods, so does that prove Hercules the son of Zeus actually existed?

Your own Christian opinion piece writer admits these are commentaries on Christians and their behavior and beliefs. Sorry no more proof for Jesus than writing about a Zeus worshipper proves Zeus existed.

Next up the scholarly agreed upon Josephus forgery which glorifies Jesus so much it's comical. They really went overboard here. Even your Christian writer admits the passage was edited by later Christians.

A Talmud passage about a nameless sorcerer. These are quite common as false messiahs came by the dozen through Jerusalem. This could be speaking of any one of these people so projecting it upon Jesus is wishful thinking at best. Yeshu was a very common name at the time. This guy was stoned and hanged. And no the Jews did not use the term hanged for crucifixion. Hanged means by the neck.

A second century satirist mocking what was said by Christians. No idea why he even wasted time with that.

Okay well that was fun... Did you have any proof he existed?
Roman Apologist wrote:
Here givemeliberty, look at these.

http://www.probe.org/site/c.fdKEIMNsEoG/b.422...

1)Claiming this is a Christian website and is biased
2) Claiming that the burden of proof is on me won't work either.
3)Claiming that it's irrelevant won't hold water either.
4) Offer a point by point rebuttal and let's see how well you can do.

Louisville, KY

#171605 Jul 10, 2013
Exactly, very well said.
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I disagree, all of history is NOT hearsay. We have not only evidence for the three you mentioned but actual EYEWITNESS accounts. Not stories told decades later by unknown authors, but actual eyewitness accounts. I can't even beige to understand your comment that ALL HISTORY IS HEARSAY. We have recorded documentation of many historical events, visual documentation. We have history books who's authenticity can easily be validated, cross-referenced, with pictorial evidence. We have artifacts that can be dated and confirmed as authentic.

With Jesus you have NO CONTEMPORARY ACCOUNTS OF JESUS OUTSIDE OF THE BIBLE.

Louisville, KY

#171606 Jul 10, 2013
At least we have those two secular sources documented centuries before Jesus at a time when much less was documented.

Again even they made him up it doesn't matter as there are no Socrates churches imposing their will on others and costing billions of lives.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>All of Socrates is hearsay. Plato and this guy are the only ones that claimed to know him.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/650...

Show me that guy and Socrates existed by official records.

"As Socrates did not write philosophical texts, the knowledge of the man, his life, and his philosophy is entirely based on writings by his students and contemporaries. Foremost among them is Plato; however, works by Xenophon, Aristotle, and Aristophanes also provide important insights.[4] The difficulty of finding the “real” Socrates arises because these works are often philosophical or dramatic texts rather than straightforward histories. Aside from Thucydides (who makes no mention of Socrates or philosophers in general) and Xenophon, there are in fact no straightforward histories contemporary with Socrates that dealt with his own time and place. A corollary of this is that sources that do mention Socrates do not necessarily claim to be historically accurate, and are often partisan (those who prosecuted and convicted Socrates have left no testament). Historians therefore face the challenge of reconciling the various texts that come from these men to create an accurate and consistent account of Socrates' life and work. The result of such an effort is not necessarily realistic, merely consistent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socrates

I know, loony, I just don't want to believe.

He does sound a bit like Jesus.

Louisville, KY

#171607 Jul 10, 2013
For more proof on that turn on Fox News! Loads of such idiots!:)
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Some idiot somewhere thinks he's brilliant.

Scary.

“There is no god!”

Södertälje, Sweden

#171608 Jul 10, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>evolution is a lie! GOD made man, GOD made everything.. GOD made science..God made you! that proves he has a sense of humor...
We're not made from dirt! god does not exist and the bible is a book of hate and lies and evolution is true

i recommend homeopathy for you!

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#171609 Jul 10, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
At least we have those two secular sources documented centuries before Jesus at a time when much less was documented.
Again even they made him up it doesn't matter as there are no Socrates churches imposing their will on others and costing billions of lives.
<quoted text>
I will bet you their influence was incorporated into Christianity. Didn't you say something about Greeks and such editing myths and stories and so forth?

You are full of shit, Butch. You are showing your incoherency of thought and wishful thinking. You lack the ability to see how things flow and meld. Textbook learning without expanding the subjects.

Go charge up your Johnson.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#171610 Jul 10, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing that this verse says to me is that you worship a "god" who is so egotistical he thinks he should be able to scare me into loving him. I will never believe in the biblical "god", and that is only one of the reasons why.
We are to fear God because he has the power to forgive us. God also pities those who fear him. When we submit to God, we surrender and give God dominion and control.
Imhotep

Howey In The Hills, FL

#171611 Jul 10, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG I can't help but laugh and shake my head in contemptuous amazement and amusement. Look back over your posts. It's all bias on your side of the argument. The fact is that you don't WANT Jesus to have existed. The evidence we do have is as good as it's going to get which tells me just one thing. You're either incredibly unrealistic, or flat out lazy in your arguments. He existed like it or not as Bart Ehrman says. Debate whether or not he rose from the dead. Debate whether or not he did miracles. But debate his existence? History is hearsay. ALL OF HISTORY is hearsay. Did Lincoln live? Did Ben Franklin live? Did Martin Luther live?
You're in denial of fact.
Feel free to disprove this!

These alleged 'saviours/prophets' exist only in holy books, which themselves are copied from previous legends and myths.

"In fact, the quest for Biblical accounts of ancient Egypt at least into the 19th Dynasty of Egypt's New Kingdom, take on an interesting approach by most investigators. Essentially, since there is no evidence to clearly support the existence of Joseph, or Moses, or the Israeli Exodus, most of the investigation examines what was possible, what cannot be ruled out, or what fits into and Egyptian context.

In other words, is it possible that such events or people could have existed from what we know of ancient Egypt.

Some specifics are very possible, such as Joseph's rise to importance in the Egyptian court.

Other events, such as the Exodus, as specifically told in the Bible, are much more difficult.

Though the Egyptians may not have liked to record defeats, it would seem very probable that, were the disasters inflicted upon them as detailed in the Bible, there would have survived some textual evidence.

For example, the Egyptians recorded events such as eclipses of the sun and the levels of the Nile Flood.

Were the Nile to have turned to blood and every firstborn child suddenly have died, not to mention all of the other plagues mentioned in Exodus, there would have doubtless been some record left, particularly during the New Kingdom. Tomb records frequently provide us with the most meager of details, and we have, from that period, many thousands of documents recording civil actions and even commercial contracts."

"Despite the mass of contemporary records that have been unearthed in Egypt, not one historical reference to the presence of the Israelites has yet been found there. Not a single mention of Joseph, the Pharaoh's 'Grand Vizier'. Not a word about Moses, or the spectacular flight from Egypt and the destruction of the pursuing Egyptian army."
Magnus Magnusson (The Archaeology of the Bible Lands - BC, p43)

For many centuries the Egyptians were present in Palestine, controlling the trade routes and importing the timber, olive oil and minerals not found in Egypt.

Archaeology has uncovered dramatic evidence of this pervasive Egyptian presence in 'Canaan'– yet nowhere does the Bible refer to Egyptians outside of Egypt.

It would spoil the story!

How could Hebrews escape into the promised land if the Bible admitted Egyptians were running the show there too?

"Neither Moses, nor an enslaved Israel nor the event of this Exodus are recorded in any known ancient records outside the Bible ...
Although its climate has preserved the tiniest traces of ancient bedouin encampments and the sparse 5000-year-old villages of mine workers there is not a single trace of Moses or the Israelites."
– John Romer, Testament

“There is no god!”

Södertälje, Sweden

#171612 Jul 10, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>We are to fear God because he has the power to forgive us. God also pities those who fear him. When we submit to God, we surrender and give God dominion and control.
So christians are slaves

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 17 min NoStress4me 865,075
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 23 min pusherman_ 599,843
The Christian Atheist debate 36 min ChristineM 2,014
Pro Lifers Are The Same As liberals 45 min Burke Devlin 16
How to get Free Steam games, Steam Wallet codes... (Dec '13) 1 hr Cameron 112
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 1 hr WasteWater 6,309
alshayae 2 hr atqwa 4
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 6 hr Frannie 44
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) Fri sangili karuppan 7,502
More from around the web