Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 8,226)

Showing posts 164,501 - 164,520 of223,982
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

So stop using a computer, cell phone and the Internet. Next time you are sick forget antibiotics and instead have your family pray over you.
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>science is wrong a bunch

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Je peux me tromper, mais je pense que vous Ítes conversation avec le clown est une perte de temps.
Clownish... est digne de risťe seulement.
DK clown

(DK = dunning kruger = too stupid to realise he is stupid)

il est une douleur dans le cul

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

That is the retarded clown's sock account.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>The clowns lies to himself. It’s the only way he can get any compassion.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

As she correctly stated before you are employing the no true scottsman logical fallacy. It's very childish.
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>I think you misunderstand me. I am saying that people who call themselves Christians and still commit such acts are either pretenders, or are terribly confused about what they're supposed to be doing and not doing as Christians.

I do not consider the IRA (or any other terrorist organization such as the kkk) to speak for, or define the actions and beliefs of Christianity. Any person or group who develops an understanding that violence towards others as a means of achieving a goal is okay, is terribly deluded, and even more deluded if they believe Christ would endorse it. They may try to justify it with biblical chapter and verse as you point out, and they may actually believe it, but in truth, they are engaging in "proof-texting" which means they're twisting and interpreting it to fit their goals or concepts rather than understanding it within it's historical, theological, and literary context as the author presented it.

The end result is that people who have been victims of such atrocities (such as yourself and your family members) feel a need to lash out at what you believe is the root cause. In this case, it's the IRA with their warped and twisted understanding of scripture that they use to falsely justify such acts. The irony of it,(and this is not intended to be disrespectful at all) is that you have become angry (understandably) and have started to interpret the same passages in the same way they did. You correctly see the evil of their actions and yet incorrectly not the evil of their twisting scripture to fit their political goals.

So when a person who does recognize the evil of terrorist or criminal misinterpretation of scripture comes along and points out that such persons (or groups) have falsely misidentified themselves as Christians, you seem to interpret this as somehow excusing their actions, or damage control for the sake of public image. Nothing could be further from the truth. The purpose here is to say they misapplied biblical teaching to fit their goals and justify their actions.

Finally, as a person of American Irish descent (my great-great-grandparents came over from County Cook) I am deeply troubled that
people have been needlessly hurt over such a skewed and twisted interpretation. I still have distant family in Ireland and that they might be involved, whether as victims or as perpetrators, is deeply troubling.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

There is no historical proof that Jesus even existed let alone performed these so called miracles. None whatsoever and the gospels were written decades after these men would have died by Ronan's who didn't even speak their language.

They were oral stories changed over decades and finally documented. Even then the gospels have been edited numerous times over the years.
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>Well, this is where we disagree.(Yes I finally registered so this is my username now) I believe there is evidence that God has restored life. Now whether you believe that evidence amounts to conclusive proof is another matter entirely. That evidence is the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

If the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, & John are true eyewitness reports (as I believe they are) then yes God has restored limbs when Jesus cured lepers. Leprosy is a very nasty disease that causes people to lose limbs. And if there is going to be a world-wide resurrection of the dead at Christ's second coming, then we can expect that we will be given new bodies that are superior to what we possess now.

blacklagoon wrote, "People make up all sorts of beliefs, but one should be extremely skeptical when things are made up with absolutely no supportive evidence. "

Yes people should be skeptical. But not all things are made up. In truth, Christians are called to be open minded (even if fundamentalists don't believe it). Open minded does not mean being gullible. It means considering both natural and supernatural processes. We should consider natural processes up to the point where natural processes cannot sufficiently account for a majority of the data. At that point we are to begin looking to see if there is a supernatural explanation, but without forcing it to fit our beliefs.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Lmfao!

He does act like an inbreed.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>Don’t need tweezers to laugh at the DK clown

And to think, hescrews his sister with that, no wonder she laughs at him
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
DK clown
(DK = dunning kruger = too stupid to realise he is stupid)
il est une douleur dans le cul
Hey Chrissy, How was your weekend, any French restaurants?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Hey Chrissy, How was your weekend, any French restaurants?
Nope, Indian on Friday, Samosas and onion bhajis, lamb tika khorai with garlic and mushroom rice. BBQ on Saturday at a friends house, summer is here, must take it while we have it, will be gone next week. Sunday traditional roast beef (with a thick coating of crushed pepper corns)

How about you? burgers and fries of Kentucky fried genetically modified bird of some sort?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>I bet chritine has a larger one than you mini dick with BB's balls
Creationists obsessed with sex. no surprises there

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
As she correctly stated before you are employing the no true scottsman logical fallacy. It's very childish.
<quoted text>
May I ask you a question?

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
There is no historical proof that Jesus even existed let alone performed these so called miracles. None whatsoever and the gospels were written decades after these men would have died by Ronan's who didn't even speak their language.
They were oral stories changed over decades and finally documented. Even then the gospels have been edited numerous times over the years.
<quoted text>
Where is your evidence to support this claim?
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
..If the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, & John are true eyewitness reports (as I believe they are) then yes God has restored limbs when Jesus cured lepers...
Sounds like you need to do your research.

The life stories of Jesus are based on the letters of Paul and the gospels.

Paul was not an eye witness to events and gets his information from revelations and visions, and not from eye witnesses.

No one knows who wrote the gospels, where they were written and the sources used. They are likely written decades after Paul's letters by various greek speaking christians.

All the gospels contadict each other and very inconsistent with Paul's spiritual Jesus.

In other words the >evidence< supporting Christianity is very weak. Therefore no honest or rational person can be a Christian.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is your evidence to support this claim?
That's the problem dude, there's no evidence of him.
It's all second third hand 30-50+ years after the fact.
No direct testimony of anyone, seems more a fabrication than a real person. But I do think he represents the suffering of people.
The only physical evidence is so shrouded in controversy, even if it is real it's not going to prove much. But it's authenticity is weak at best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Projection is still projection
And guesswork is still guesswork
Both good christian values, well done for showing you faith so devoutly
projection

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Creationists obsessed with sex. no surprises there
I know I am

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Lmfao!
He does act like an inbreed.
<quoted text>
join us

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>projection
Yup, thatís what I said
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
The Torah is stolen from other cultures and cobbled together very poorly.
<quoted text>
You obviously don't know what the Torah is about. Have you ever read it? It is a history of God, the world and Israel and was revealed to Moses and the prophets by the living God. The law was not given to other people except through Israel. A lot of the laws only apply to the children of Israel and it's ludicrous to believe it was stolen from other people who the living God did not call.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
That is the retarded clown's sock account.
<quoted text>
One, another is Gruber Hull

Both he uses to talk to himself when he is feeling lonely
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, this is where we disagree.(Yes I finally registered so this is my username now) I believe there is evidence that God has restored life. Now whether you believe that evidence amounts to conclusive proof is another matter entirely. That evidence is the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
If the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, & John are true eyewitness reports (as I believe they are) then yes God has restored limbs when Jesus cured lepers. Leprosy is a very nasty disease that causes people to lose limbs. And if there is going to be a world-wide resurrection of the dead at Christ's second coming, then we can expect that we will be given new bodies that are superior to what we possess now.
<quoted text>
Yes people should be skeptical. But not all things are made up. In truth, Christians are called to be open minded (even if fundamentalists don't believe it). Open minded does not mean being gullible. It means considering both natural and supernatural processes. We should consider natural processes up to the point where natural processes cannot sufficiently account for a majority of the data. At that point we are to begin looking to see if there is a supernatural explanation, but without forcing it to fit our beliefs.
Do you really believe the gospels were written by eyewitnesses? There was no Matthew, Mark, Luke and John-these names were made up to conform to prophecy. There is also no contemporaneous record of Jesus' life and the NT was written hundreds of years after Jesus died. The NT is conjecture and we cannot rely on it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 164,501 - 164,520 of223,982
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

392 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min dirty white boy- 719,925
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 12 min seriously the original 5,206
no strings sex in margate (Nov '10) 22 min johan 44
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 31 min Pegasus 256,342
I Like Big Butts 38 min Sir Mixalot 1
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 39 min Chess 532,265
38pc of Americans doubt Barack Obama was born i... 41 min caesar- 13
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr RATTYslayer 114,939
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 6 hr UidiotRaceMakeWorldPeace1 172,192
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••