Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256087 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

WhatWhatWhat

Denver, CO

#171300 Jul 8, 2013
priests molest

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#171301 Jul 8, 2013
WhatWhatWhat wrote:
priests molest
I hear you altar boy!!!!

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#171302 Jul 8, 2013
scaritual wrote:
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
You've got a lovely bunch of coconuts....dedelede
<quoted text>
Makes your chin look strange though.
lol
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#171303 Jul 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh huh.
Judging from your frequent references to the competition and your survival in the business it appears fear may have been most instrumental in your motivation, and since you were locked into that insular little world of struggle perhaps you missed something larger.
Those audiences you referred to were humans like yourself. You may get a bit of stage fright when you submit your resume to a more critical audience in the future. One that has heard it all before.
I would suggest in your audition for them you include the bit where you can play your horn while shelling peanuts for the squirrels. A neat little skill developed from your Sunday sunset serenades you invited them to attend. That audience appreciates kindness to the little animals. They might give you a pass. You would have some saving grace.
Fear? That would imply a sense of danger, something likely to cause pain or something or someone is a threat. None of that was a motivating factor in my striving for success. Ego was the motivation. The fact that I can do something better than the next person, be a better player, make myself more valuable that the next, compose or arrange something more interesting or more complex than the next, this is what drives the people in my profession. We are constantly trying to "oneup" the guy next to you, either with our playing or our writing. We hold "cutting" sessions, the idea is to climb on stage with another player, in my case another trumpet player. Whoever plays first, sets the parameters, "here's how fast I can play, how high, how intricate I can weave through a chord progression. Then it's my turn the better you, or "Cut" you. That's the mindset for all musicians whether they do it with their playing or their writing.

Location hidden

#171304 Jul 8, 2013
Osama bin-Saban wrote:
<quoted text>> Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ... but, intelligence is in the head of Osama! A magnificent gift from God! If only Osama could bottle some of his universal intelligence and gift it to the lost and lonely ... yes, those poor, pathetic souls who are wandering aimlessly around in the Wilderness of Dumb @ss. A mere fragment of Osama's intelligence would be better for those poor fools, than the best GPS on the market, better even than having Einstein's brain. Instant triple figure IQ jump, significant spike in knowledge, thought process, wisdom, and truth. Their drift factor of 10 on a scale of 10 would crumble, and, they would instantaneously be able to find their way out of a wet paper bag. Magnificence, and splendor ... sort of an instant orgasm of Knowledge, Wisdom & Truth if you will, exploding in the empty minds of those brain dead souls. Shear intellectual ecstasy!!! Okay, everyone, form a single line, and, please be nice and not cut in front of the line ... you'll all get a chance to fill your empty brains with some of Osama's universal intellect. So, open up those droopy elephant ears and pay attention when Osama speaks ... ya hear!?
>:)
Lol...you're full of it! I can't even respond lol
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#171305 Jul 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh huh.
Judging from your frequent references to the competition and your survival in the business it appears fear may have been most instrumental in your motivation, and since you were locked into that insular little world of struggle perhaps you missed something larger.
Those audiences you referred to were humans like yourself. You may get a bit of stage fright when you submit your resume to a more critical audience in the future. One that has heard it all before.
I would suggest in your audition for them you include the bit where you can play your horn while shelling peanuts for the squirrels. A neat little skill developed from your Sunday sunset serenades you invited them to attend. That audience appreciates kindness to the little animals. They might give you a pass. You would have some saving grace.
Fear? That would imply a sense of danger, something likely to cause pain or something or someone is a threat. None of that was a motivating factor in my striving for success. Ego was the motivation. The fact that I can do something better than the next person, be a better player, make myself more valuable that the next, compose or arrange something more interesting or more complex than the next, this is what drives the people in my profession. We are constantly trying to "oneup" the guy next to you, either with our playing or our writing. We hold "cutting" sessions, the idea is to climb on stage with another player, in my case another trumpet player. Whoever plays first, sets the parameters, "here's how fast I can play, how high, how intricate I can weave through a chord progression. Then it's my turn the better you, or "Cut" you. That's the mindset for all musicians whether they do it with their playing or their writing.

BTW, I am certainly not concerned about your imaginary audience, and NEVER get stage fright. You may conjure up any being you like, but remember they ONLY exist in your extremely vivid imagination.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#171306 Jul 8, 2013
BTW, I am certainly not concerned about your imaginary audience, and NEVER get stage fright. You may conjure up any being you like, but remember they ONLY exist in your extremely vivid imagination.

Location hidden

#171307 Jul 8, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>good come-back!!
I thought so :D

Location hidden

#171308 Jul 8, 2013
Osama bin-Saban wrote:
<quoted text>What facts?
<:/
That would depend on the topic of conversation. Many on here attempt to discuss, but usually argue, about evolution, creation, afterlife....Science can give you the most probable "answer" for any of these subjects.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#171309 Jul 8, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>
As a human being, yes I would. It's parental nature to protect children. However, an omnipotent God who can create life from non-life would have no problem restoring life and/or limb, right?
That's why the analogy you're presenting doesn't compare. You and I cannot restore life to our kids if they should die. God can, and has said He will restore immortality to the entire human race if we trust Him to do so.
My understanding of the word "knowledge" as it's presented in the context of the tree in the garden of Eden doesn't mean academic knowledge. My understanding of the context is that of "being aware."
An illustration may be helpful to explain the way in which I understand it.
Suppose you exit a convenience store after purchasing gasoline for your automobile. You see 2 young men watching you as you walk to your car. You have to turn your back to them as you enter the vehicle but you still are aware of their presence. You "know" they're still there, and likely still watching you. A glance in your rear-view mirror confirms your "knowledge" of this occurrence.
This is my own personal understanding of the word "knowledge" as it relates to the "tree of knowledge" within the context of "the fall of man."
Also, as a side note, the name "Adam" in Hebrew means "man." Some theologians believe that God created an entire culture from a single "template" and named the entire human race "Adam" and also chose one man whom He named "Adam" specifically. I have to admit that I'm not certain as to the truthfulness or accuracy of this theological school of thought, nor it's origin. Like I said, if I don't know an answer, I'll tell you I don't. I hope my answers have given you some insight into different thoughts and interpretations. Have a great evening!
There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that those omnipotent God can in fact restore life. We certainly DO know that he is unable to restore limbs as there has NEVER been an instance where he has done such.

No, we as humans cannot restore life. Are we not Gods Children? Is he NOT our father? or are both just loosely based sayings? If you as a parent DID have the ability to restore the life of your child, but still saw him suffering greatly, would you change the course of events so he would NOT suffer? The point being, If God is analogous to being a parent, would you NOT do anything in your power to keep your child from not only death but extreme suffering? Even if you had the ability to restore his life, would you not do anything in your power to eliminate his suffering? I know that I would personally throw myself in front of a bus if doing so would save my child from death or from suffering. Does that make me a better parent than God? More compassionate, more caring?

People make up all sorts of beliefs, but one should be extremely skeptical when things are made up with absolutely no supportive evidence.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#171310 Jul 8, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
That would depend on the topic of conversation. Many on here attempt to discuss, but usually argue, about evolution, creation, afterlife....Science can give you the most probable "answer" for any of these subjects.
science is wrong a bunch

Location hidden

#171311 Jul 8, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>science is wrong a bunch
I disagree...Science does a great deal of things in this world, and has answered many questions to the best of our knowledge at this point in time. We have so much more to learn and science makes new discoveries and asks more questions every day :)
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#171312 Jul 8, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
"The really great thing about science is thats it's TRUE whether or not you believe it."

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#171313 Jul 8, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
You enjoy the Internet, though.

Beats sending scrolls by camel caravan like in the Bible.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#171314 Jul 8, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree...Science does a great deal of things in this world, and has answered many questions to the best of our knowledge at this point in time. We have so much more to learn and science makes new discoveries and asks more questions every day :)
The Bronze Age is over ?

Shhhhh!

You will upset the Christians. <smile>

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#171315 Jul 8, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
Says the clown that believes jesus rode on the backs of dinosaurs and that fossil "aren't really there"

That's your actual beliefs!!! Mental illness...

Location hidden

#171316 Jul 8, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bronze Age is over ?
Shhhhh!
You will upset the Christians. <smile>
hehehe...It is quite easy sometimes to get them all upset.

“The King of R&R”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#171317 Jul 8, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>what does the bible say for you to do?
On what page do I look?

“"None shall pass"”

There

#171318 Jul 8, 2013
Redoran wrote:
<quoted text>
On what page do I look?
Deuteronomy 21:18-21

Kill your children if the misbehave:

"If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear."

Such a loving deity!
Thinking

Lymington, UK

#171319 Jul 9, 2013
You're obsessed by gay sex, you necrophiliac sisterfucker
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>I know you love blowing men

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 13 min Joe Fortuna 56,150
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 20 min Lbj 106,078
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 29 min Hangman 971,867
why have black people got no history? (Apr '11) 31 min UnderstandPeople 16
Poll White Men, Would You Have A BABY by a Black Woman (Apr '10) 42 min Noname 509
Why are white people so insecure ? (Feb '10) 1 hr UnderstandPeople 210
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr andet1987 2,346
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr Liamm 650,545
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr Rider on the Storm 182,965
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 9 hr ChristineM 445,930
More from around the web