Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“1000 Sting of Scorpion to you”

Since: Feb 07

Jurassic, Indiana

#171105 Jul 7, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
i have no girlfriend bozo i've never had one
How dumb can you be? What's that you say, "Mikko Dumb"! Is that the new standard for dumb in Europe? LMAO!!!
<:D

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#171106 Jul 7, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>Really meow....I was gonna say the same thing about you, but I'm way nicer than you. I can tell. Oh by the way....Science is way better than god is at curing things. If your "god" was so awesome then he'd wave his huge magic hand and he'd cure all the kiddies from leukemia...in fact, if he were as great as you claim then he would make all of those things go away. Not creating them would have been the best idea. Christians say "god" created everything, except for the bad stuff..."god" didn't create the bad stuff, but he did create everything....seems legit lol
"Christians say "god" created everything, except for the bad stuff..."god" didn't create the bad stuff,"

Wrong. Nothing but lies as usual.

Location hidden

#171107 Jul 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You forgot the fact that he was also gay. Never married, no women depicted at the last supper, alway...ALWAYS surrounded by men.

BTW, if the story is true, he never died, he rose from the grave and continued his existence. You believe he DIED for your sins when in fact eh never really died at all, and you poor sap bought it hook, line and sinker, TOO FUNNY. The whole things goes down as histories biggest hoax. LOL
"You forgot the fact that he was also gay. Never married, no women depicted at the last supper, alway...ALWAYS surrounded by men. "

Wow!

Just WOW!

Bawhahaha!!!!!

You atheist can keep this one!

Bawhahaha!!!!!

Location hidden

#171108 Jul 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You're dumb!!!
You don't even make that level of IQ.

Location hidden

#171109 Jul 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Matt Dillahunty, a very smart man, great spokesman for Atheism.
non belief needs a spokesman?

Weird.....

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#171110 Jul 7, 2013
Still celebrating your genocide committing Tzars I see. They killed millions proudly in the name of Jesus.
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>"Christians say "god" created everything, except for the bad stuff..."god" didn't create the bad stuff,"

Wrong. Nothing but lies as usual.

Louisville, KY

#171111 Jul 7, 2013
I wonder what screen name fatass Buck is using these days...
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>So you date yo hand!!!! OK

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#171112 Jul 7, 2013
Osama bin-Saban wrote:
<quoted text> How dumb can you be? What's that you say, "Mikko Dumb"! Is that the new standard for dumb in Europe? LMAO!!!
<:D
another christard with shit for brains

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#171113 Jul 7, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
non belief needs a spokesman?
Weird.....
If you think that weird, then the fact your very own concept god needs one despite the thousands , millions , billions he already has should shock you to tears then.

Louisville, KY

#171114 Jul 7, 2013
Christians behead man after a soccer game.

http://www.examiner.com/article/decapitated-r...

After they tied him up, beat him, tortured him, chopped off his arms and legs they finally behead him and stake his head in the middle of the field.

Jurassic, Indiana

#171115 Jul 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The literary works, official recordings, and just about everything written as late as the 1800's were written that way. Very colorful language.
Still is to a large degree. They use lots of words to confuse things, especially in the sciences.
Words such as evolution, and scientific facts used in place of creationism, the laws of physics, scientific hypothesis, and theories. Well, maybe evolution, and those other so called scientific facts are true ... in one of the parallel universes that is in close proximity! LMAO!!! After the Godless scientific community tries brainwashing, and mesmerizing, Osama ... watching those bushel basketfuls of intellectual scientists on the science channel, and reading some of their quantum physics writings ...Osama now takes sting of scorpion to shock him back into reality! OUCH!!! Well, reality does sometime sting!
>;)

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#171116 Jul 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a violation of evolution and survival.
Dumb shit.
Prove that sin is real. You can't because you made it up - its part of your cult and has nothing to do with the real world whatsoever.

Your move lying creationist troll with no proof of god.

The more you talk to me, the more I will reveal how bullsh*t your ridiculous cult is.

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#171119 Jul 7, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove that sin is real. You can't because you made it up - its part of your cult and has nothing to do with the real world whatsoever.
Your move lying creationist troll with no proof of god.
The more you talk to me, the more I will reveal how bullsh*t your ridiculous cult is.
You will find out after that meth gets done with you.

Jurassic, Indiana

#171120 Jul 7, 2013
DavidQuinn wrote:
Atheism requires no faith at all but I wish i had Jean-Paul sartre's attitude to religion, a man so thoroughly atheist he deemed the whole subject beneath his intelligence to consider. Simply religion is divisive and restricts us as a species, simple as that. Check out a book that's causing a bit of a buzz in the Uk called 2082 the chronicles of hope. On the website the 1st chapter for the 1st book is on there for free, there's a speech in there by an atheist politician that's genius
> Rats! If only you were a genius like Jean-Paul Sartre, then you too, could be intellectually higher than your own shadow! A modern day legend in your own mind! Another, of the intellectuals gone wild! LMAO!!!
<:)

Since: Sep 10

United States

#171121 Jul 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://monkeywah.typepad.com/p aranormalia/2013/07/a-militant -skeptic-discovers-the-afterli fe.html
A change of perspective.
TOPIX ATHEISTS!!! DO NOT READ!!!
Don't worry.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#171122 Jul 7, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>
This is where we disagree. The context argument does hold, but it holds because of more than the words on the page. It holds because we can (if we choose) learn something of the Jewish culture at that time in world history.
Much of what is written in the Old Testament is hyperbole and as such is an exaggeration. Now the next question is obviously; why exaggerate? What purpose could it serve to exaggerate?
In our own modern society we tend to think of any exaggeration as a manipulation. We're skeptical and cynical. But...
In ancient Hebrew culture, hyperbole was like a literary device to add emphasis. It was a written or verbal "highlighter" to make a point really hit home in the heart and mind of the audience.
So when we read of the defeat of the Canaanites or Amalekites, it wasn't genocide or ethnic cleansing. The writers were engaging in hyperbole. Think of what would happen if an alien visited our planet today and read a sports headline about a hockey game but didn't read the rest of the article. "Rangers slaughter Penguins!"
What if the alien asked two different people two different questions?
Alien: "What's a Ranger?"
Person #1: "A ranger is a person who works in the forest protecting wild animals against illegal hunters."
Alien: "Oh, okay. Thank you."
Alien: "What's a penguin?"
Person #2: "A penguin is a small, flightless, aquatic bird."
Alien: "Do penguins live in the forest?"
Person #2: "No, they live an arctic environment and eat fish."
Alien: "Okay, thanks!"
The alien then walks away thinking, "Wow these ranger people are either cruel savages, or the writers of this paper are off their rockers!"
If he had investigated the context a little more thoroughly, the alien would have learned that it was a hockey game, that the Penguins and Rangers were the names of the teams, and the Rangers won the contest. It wouldn't mean that there are thousands of dead penguin corpses littering the forest.
We make the same mistake when we read the bible.
Why?
Because we're aliens to that culture, at that time in history.
So then the story of Moses going to a cloud covered mountaintop to talk to a god was an exaggeration, or never happened at all, and it was a convenient way to transmit the lore of a culture.

"Where did our laws come from?"

"Old Moses, went onto a mountaintop and a god gave them to him, and this is why they are our laws, and we are a special people, never forget this."

Much like the American Aboriginal stories were. They were simple methods of transmitting cultural specifics. Fireside tales and bedtime stories, essentially.

But no one actually believed that the deer got his horns as a prize in a race.

Or that Kanati kept animals in a huge cave to select from when he went hunting, and that he was the first man.

But no one really thought or believed that.

Because other tribes had their myths, too.

Jurassic, Indiana

#171123 Jul 7, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a reunion!
> Hail, hail, the gang's all here! What the hell... oops (forgot, atheists don't believe in hell), what the heck do we care, what the heck do we care! And the Godless, intellectual, scientific community all huddle together with crocodile tears in their swollen eyes ... whining like little babies, "boo, hoo, the gang doesn't love us"! Well, wake up and smell the roses ... God loves you!
>:)

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#171124 Jul 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://monkeywah.typepad.com/p aranormalia/2013/07/a-militant -skeptic-discovers-the-afterli fe.html
A change of perspective.
TOPIX ATHEISTS!!! DO NOT READ!!!
Thanks for the warning.

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#171126 Jul 7, 2013
scaritual wrote:
So then the story of Moses going to a cloud covered mountaintop to talk to a god was an exaggeration, or never happened at all, and it was a convenient way to transmit the lore of a culture.
Not necessarily. Some parts of the bible are hyperbole, but not all. And the portions that are hyperbole aren't for the purpose of deception or story telling around a camp fire when there's nothing better to do. Hyperbole isn't like that. At least not in ancient Hebrew culture.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#171127 Jul 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not surprising you "don't get it".
Well it's too stupid ..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Paul Porter1 830,397
Why God made males UGLY but females PRETTY ? 33 min Rosa_Winkel 10
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 34 min dollarsbill 3,959
bless the jews (Nov '08) 52 min worship GOD 7,145
the homosexuals who are EMBARRASSMENTS to the ... 52 min Titania 7
I wish God would get rid of all homosexuals in ... 54 min Titania 4
Rajkot gay Topix 55 min botam 41
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr karl44 585,787
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 hr Paul Porter1 99,270
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 12 hr dr Shrink 611,943
More from around the web