Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256562 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#170859 Jul 4, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>
A healthy does of skepticism is a good thing for sure. But if there's such a thing as healthy skepticism, then it logically follows that there must also be an unhealthy skepticism. While we must look for the truth of any assertion, we must not be so overly critical that we miss the forest for the trees.
I don't believe there are different levels of skepticism. You are either skeptical or not. All skepticism is healthy. And of course we must be overly critical, that is exactly how we discover the truth. Do we adopt the attitude of, "well maybe you're right, I haven't looked into it that deeply." or do we adopt the attitude of "You may well be right, but I plan to turn over every leaf in order to arrive, the very best I can, at the truth."
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#170860 Jul 4, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, let's use the analogy involving a small child as you did with the reference to the cookie and your daughter. Let us suppose, for illustrative purposes that your daughter likes pink pony action figures, and she also likes purple dragon action figures. Suppose you know that she prefers the pink pony figure if given a choice. You know her tendencies, likes, and dislikes. Now if you place both toys in the middle of your yard, you know she will choose the pony figure because of her bias in favor of pink pony toys. Did she still have the freedom to choose the purple dragon toy? Of course she did. You didn't have to tell her which toy to pick up did you? No. You know what her behavior will be in any given situation if you're an observant parent. This is how free will and omniscience work with reference to God, but on a much, much more intensive scale of reality.
Knowing she will pick the pink pony, do I then punish her for making the choice I knew she would make? God knew Eve would eat the fruit, as he can see the future, and punished her.

Of course I could tell my daughter that she could NOT pick the pink pony, and wait to see if she obeyed, but being a child I'm sure she would fuss and whine and eventually pick her favorite.

Your analogy is sound however, as both Adam and Eve were basically children with no growing up experiences to govern their actions. Hence no concept of right or wrong. Now if God had instilled into them the concepts of Good and Evil, right and wrong, then we would have a totally different situation, with Eve willfully disobeying a command, and knowing it was in fact WRONG. But the bible gives no information about their age or what they did of didn't know.
Imhotep

United States

#170862 Jul 4, 2013
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>ABSOLUTELY! I agree with ALL of that!
That's why I'm Agnostic, and not Atheist.
If you’ve rejected traditional religion (or were never religious to start), you may be asking,“Is that all there is?” It’s liberating to recognize that supernatural beings are human creations … that there’s no such thing as “spirit”… that people are undesigned, unintended, and responsible for themselves.

But what’s next?

For many, mere atheism (the absence of belief in gods and the supernatural) or agnosticism (the view that such questions cannot be answered) aren’t enough.

Atheism and agnosticism are silent on larger questions of values and meaning. If Meaning in life is not ordained from on high, what small-m meanings can we work out among ourselves? If eternal life is an illusion, how can we make the most of our only lives? As social beings sharing a godless world, how should we coexist?

For the questions that remain unanswered after we’ve cleared our minds of gods and souls and spirits, many atheists, agnostics, skeptics, and freethinkers turn to secular humanism.

http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php ...

[1] We are committed to the application of reason and science to the understanding of the universe and to the solving of human problems.

[2] We deplore efforts to denigrate human intelligence, explain the world in supernatural terms, and look outside nature for salvation.

[3] We believe that scientific discovery and technology can contribute to the betterment of human life.

[4] We believe in an open and pluralistic society and that democracy is the best guarantee of protecting human rights from authoritarian elites and repressive majorities.

[5] We are committed to the principle of the separation of church and state.

[6] We [prefer] negotiation and compromise to [resolve] differences and achiev[e] mutual understanding.

[7] We are concerned with securing justice and fairness in society and with eliminating discrimination and intolerance.

[8] We believe in supporting the disadvantaged and the handicapped so that they will be able to help themselves.

[9] We attempt to transcend divisive parochial loyalties based on [prejudices] and strive to work together for the common good.

[10] We want to protect, preserve and enhance the earth, and avoid inflicting needless suffering on other species.

[11] We believe in enjoying life here and now and in developing our creative talents to their fullest.

[12] We believe in the cultivation of moral excellence.

[13] Mature adults should be allowed to fulfill their aspirations, to express their sexual preferences, to exercise reproductive freedom, to have access to comprehensive and informed health-care, and to die with dignity.

[14] We believe in the common moral decencies: altruism, integrity, honesty, truthfulness, responsibility. Humanist ethics is amenable to critical, rational guidance. Together we discover normative standards tested by their consequences.

[15] We are deeply concerned with the moral education of our children. We want to nourish reason and compassion.

[16] We are engaged by the arts no less than by the sciences.

[17] We are citizens of the universe and are excited by discoveries still to be made in the cosmos.

[18] We are skeptical of untested claims to knowledge, and we are open to novel ideas.

[19] We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others.

[20] We believe in optimism, hope, learning, truth, joy, tolerance, love, compassion, beauty, and reason rather than pessimism, despair, dogma, ignorance, guilt or sin, fear, hatred, selfishness, ugliness, and blind, irrational faith.

[21] We believe in the fullest realization of the best and noblest that we are capable of as human beings.

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Since: Sep 09

Sunbury, OH

#170863 Jul 4, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
If you’ve rejected traditional religion (or were never religious to start), you may be asking,“Is that all there is?” It’s liberating to recognize that supernatural beings are human creations … that there’s no such thing as “spirit”… that people are undesigned, unintended, and responsible for themselves.
But what’s next?
For many, mere atheism (the absence of belief in gods and the supernatural) or agnosticism (the view that such questions cannot be answered) aren’t enough.
Atheism and agnosticism are silent on larger questions of values and meaning. If Meaning in life is not ordained from on high, what small-m meanings can we work out among ourselves? If eternal life is an illusion, how can we make the most of our only lives? As social beings sharing a godless world, how should we coexist?
For the questions that remain unanswered after we’ve cleared our minds of gods and souls and spirits, many atheists, agnostics, skeptics, and freethinkers turn to secular humanism.
[1] We are committed to the application of reason and science to the understanding of the universe and to the solving of human problems.
[2] We deplore efforts to denigrate human intelligence, explain the world in supernatural terms, and look outside nature for salvation.
[3] We believe that scientific discovery and technology can contribute to the betterment of human life.
[4] We believe in an open and pluralistic society and that democracy is the best guarantee of protecting human rights from authoritarian elites and repressive majorities.
[6] We [prefer] negotiation and compromise to [resolve] differences and achiev[e] mutual understanding.
[7] We are concerned with securing justice and fairness in society and with eliminating discrimination and intolerance.
[8] We believe in supporting the disadvantaged and the handicapped so that they will be able to help themselves.
[9] We attempt to transcend divisive parochial loyalties based on [prejudices] and strive to work together for the common good.
[10] We want to protect, preserve and enhance the earth, and avoid inflicting needless suffering on other species.
[11] We believe in enjoying life here and now and in developing our creative talents to their fullest.
[13] Mature adults should be allowed to fulfill their aspirations, to express their sexual preferences, to exercise reproductive freedom, to have access to comprehensive and informed health-care, and to die with dignity.
[14] We believe in the common moral decencies: altruism, integrity, honesty, truthfulness, responsibility. Humanist ethics is amenable to critical, rational guidance. Together we discover normative standards tested by their consequences.
[15] We are deeply concerned with the moral education of our children. We want to nourish reason and compassion.
[17] We are citizens of the universe and are excited by discoveries still to be made in the cosmos.
[18] We are skeptical of untested claims to knowledge, and we are open to novel ideas.
[19] We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others.
[20] We believe in optimism, hope, learning, truth, joy, tolerance, love, compassion, beauty, and reason rather than pessimism, despair, dogma, ignorance, guilt or sin, fear, hatred, selfishness, ugliness, and blind, irrational faith.
[21] We believe in the fullest realization of the best and noblest that we are capable of as human beings.
What is your point here?

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Since: Sep 09

Sunbury, OH

#170864 Jul 4, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
But what’s next?
What is the point you are trying to make?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#170867 Jul 4, 2013
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>What is the point you are trying to make?
Deliberate stupidity. Part of the mental illness of faith.
Imhotep

United States

#170868 Jul 4, 2013
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>What is the point you are trying to make?
I'm sorry you missed the point. ;)

I would suggest you read it carefully over and over and over. Then consult a dictionary for the term humanism. I'm not an atheist nor am I am agnostic. I have never had a religion or been adopted or indoctrinated into one.

Religion aka "Organized superstition" does not unite people instead it divides them.

“1000 Sting of Scorpion to you”

Since: Feb 07

Jurassic, Indiana

#170869 Jul 4, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry you missed the point. ;)
I would suggest you read it carefully over and over and over. Then consult a dictionary for the term humanism. I'm not an atheist nor am I am agnostic. I have never had a religion or been adopted or indoctrinated into one.
Religion aka "Organized superstition" does not unite people instead it divides them.
> Atheism, agnostics, humanism, non-indoctrinated humans aka "Organized aimless wandering in the wilderness" does not unite those people. Instead it drives them closer to oblivion!
>:/

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#170870 Jul 4, 2013
Osama bin-Saban wrote:
<quoted text>> Atheism, agnostics, humanism, non-indoctrinated humans aka "Organized aimless wandering in the wilderness" does not unite those people. Instead it drives them closer to oblivion!

That my friend is ENTIRELY dependent upon who is leading them.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#170871 Jul 4, 2013
Osama bin-Saban wrote:
<quoted text>> Atheism, agnostics, humanism, non-indoctrinated humans aka "Organized aimless wandering in the wilderness" does not unite those people. Instead it drives them closer to oblivion!
Your opinions about other people's reality will matter after you've successfully proved your personal hallucination / cult.
LCN Llin

United States

#170872 Jul 4, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinions about other people's reality will matter after you've successfully proved your personal hallucination / cult.
Do you bite your nails? Chew on pencils? Forget to the check the subject and verb on atempting to post questions? All of these are bad habits, but only one will affect your Posts. Intellectually challenged posters tend to make the same grammar mistakes over and over again; learn to recognize—and avoid—these common traps and pitfalls.
Thinking

Lymington, UK

#170873 Jul 4, 2013
Who cares?
You are a necrophiliac sisterfucker.
T-Town Clown wrote:
Bro. Clownie is off to do battle in a world where sissy atheist are called girly men... Only real men can post!!!! Blood sweat & tears and no queers
Bro. Clownie
LCN Llin

United States

#170874 Jul 4, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Who cares?
You are a necrophiliac sisterfucker.
<quoted text>
Happy 4th of July
Thinking

Lymington, UK

#170875 Jul 4, 2013
The UK couldn't sustain your $17tn debt. You, and your corporates, have been evading taxes for far too long.

Every year, my ex USAF Major friend hosts a great independence day party. The weather looks great for this Saturday. I'm on vintner and ice making duty. Happy days.
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy 4th of July
LCN Llin

United States

#170876 Jul 4, 2013
Thinking wrote:
The UK couldn't sustain your $17tn debt. You, and your corporates, have been evading taxes for far too long.
Every year, my ex USAF Major friend hosts a great independence day party. The weather looks great for this Saturday. I'm on vintner and ice making duty. Happy days.
<quoted text>
Enjoy

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#170877 Jul 4, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>

Columbia takes notice , but will not fail.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#170878 Jul 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Machines and biological processes follow the same physical laws. Just different in how they are configured to transfer energy.
You seem to think organic life is removed from those laws. Odd for an evolutionist to think that.
No they don't they abide by different sets of laws, one abides by mechanical and mineral laws, the other by biological laws.

Since: Jun 13

Milwaukee, WI

#170879 Jul 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
One more Topix atheist "I'm not really an intellectual, but I play one on Topix, can't you see by my avatar" appears on the scene.
first my avatar is an inspiration not only to me but to the human race for all his contributions to the field of physics (yes even to the godbots that dont quite live in the real world)

second i have never claimed nor do i curently claim to be any kind of intellectual.

third your still eluding the fact that you have absolutly no proof that god exsist.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#170880 Jul 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, I try to look the part.
Beats the hell out of your grandmothers pic.

Not that she wasn't a looker in her time.

Weren't we all?

Some things are better left framed on the wall.

Since: Jun 13

Milwaukee, WI

#170881 Jul 4, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
Bro. Clownie is off to do battle in a world where sissy atheist are called girly men... Only real men can post!!!! Blood sweat & tears and no queers
Bro. Clownie
they really have to do something about the trolls on here

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Buck Crick 64,125
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 43 min Chess Jurist 654,129
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Toby 106,549
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr AussieBobby 281,885
What color will Taylor Swift's baby be? 3 hr Anonymous 1
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 3 hr Steve III 45,246
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 4 hr Classic 3,818
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 hr Lumatrix 973,845
More from around the web