Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#170593 Jul 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
He was in a car wreck and banged his head, and while knocked loopy he saw green spiderwebs of Jesus.
Does that count?
<quoted text>
To many it counts. I can live with that. I thought I was in places I wasn't, I thought I did things that I didn't and I had "sure" feelings that have no basis and since they were not followed to a conclusion, who the heck knows?

The hallucinations seemed real enough (at the time) but the only thing I can say with absolute conviction is that I was hallucinating and it was NOT real;0)

Green spiderwebs of jesus??? You are a poet my dear.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#170594 Jul 1, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no 'flow of energy' in that sense in life. Death *is* the return to equilibrium.
<quoted text>
Which decays with death.
<quoted text>
Sorry, but this is just twaddle.
<quoted text>
There is no 'charge it created'. That is part of your delusion. You like to use scientific words like 'charge' and 'potential', and 'energy', but seem not to understand what any of those actually are.
So, we have two people here in the forum that have had NDEs. Both NDEs were similar. But they derived very different interpretations of them. Which should we take as substantiated? At the very least, we know that a brain put under stress will hallucinate and then fill in missing time. Since that accords nicely with both experiences and is the interpretation given to one of them, isn't it likely that *you* interpret yours incorrectly?
The number of NDEs has grown with medical advancement. Doctors can now revive us from many various close calls. Ironically, people will NOT accept the natural phenomena explained by the very same medical advancements and prefer to go to the otherworldly, the mystical something as the "answer."

Sheesh.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#170595 Jul 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>

You will be terrified if you believe your consciousness is strictly a physical phenomenon.
Not necessarily. Your personal experience is yours alone.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#170596 Jul 1, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr. Jeffrey Long has designed a systematic method of identifying and excluding false or misleading accounts to keep the data accurate. Only NDEs analyzed as genuine are published in his studies. Wisely, he hasn't disclosed his control methods. If somebody knew what criteria he is using to exclude false or misleading information, they could circumvent this to make their claim seem legitimate. Dr. Long has eliminated this as much as possible. This leaves us with very well documented claims of NDEs that require explanations and not speculations. Your claim in another post that the brain can retain consciousness for up to 10 minutes following decapitation is patently false. The best estimates as of today's modern medicine allow for no more than 15-30 seconds.
Pamela Reynolds was brain dead for 1 hour during her surgery, and had no sensations that could be explained from a neurological surgeon's perspective and subsequent medical review.
So, something beyond our own human understanding and state of existence does indeed happen.
Those that don't disclose their methods so that they can stand up to the test of replication aren't accepted in the scientific community.

No, modern medicine does NOT claim that the brain only lives 15-30 seconds. Come on and show us which hat you pulled that one out of.

Pamela Reynolds had hallucinations. Period.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#170597 Jul 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Your "few minutes" is how long it takes before parts begin to die, it's not a sudden process, you should stop projecting your idiocy onto others. The actual average is 3-6 minutes, before brain damage begins. Some people as long as 15 minutes:
http://www.wisegeek.org/how-long-can-the-brai...
A few years ago, this happened:
http://www.wwltv.com/news/Man-survived-withou...
That's 25 minutes without oxygen. You should at least Google before making yourself look like an idiot.
He can't help it, it's in his genes;0)

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#170598 Jul 2, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>you haven't disprove GOD! I believe in GOD and creation
It's the other way bozo you have to prove to us that your god exists and that voice in your head isn't your god
Bongo

Coram, NY

#170599 Jul 2, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
He can't help it, it's in his genes;0)
oh yeah albatross

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#170600 Jul 2, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
Bro. Clownie feels totally sad for those lost and lonely, wandering in the wilderness, heathen, atheists! Those poor souls are drowning in their own intellectual bull$#!+, and are bound to wander in circles not knowing where to go, or, what to do. No direction ... no purpose in life, other than hating believers of God ... nothing to look forward to after their pathetic life on planet Earth expires. Pity! So sad
Except your old buddh Double Fine, right?
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#170602 Jul 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally and unequivocally wrong. The closest it can get is bouncing off your head, and it still wouldn't know you.
Music is just pressure waves, just like you are.
The music IS ME, I certainly know myself, they are my ideas generated within me. Sound waves are not a conscious entity, the mind that creates them is.

Your penchant for making idiots statements never ceases. "The music doesn't KNOW you." You really do try way to hard to appear intelligent, in doing so, you actually appear to be a bit off center.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#170603 Jul 2, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Those that don't disclose their methods so that they can stand up to the test of replication aren't accepted in the scientific community.
No, modern medicine does NOT claim that the brain only lives 15-30 seconds. Come on and show us which hat you pulled that one out of.
People have been revived after being submersed in cold water for up to half an hour. There is a natural reflex that slows the metabolism in such cases. In the Reynolds case, she was cooled for exactly this reason. That is what allowed her to survive the whole procedure. The claim that she was 'brain dead' for an hour is also incorrect. The aneurysm was removed immediately after her brain was drained and then warm blood was supplied. There were difficulties re-starting her heart, but the brain was supplied with blood after a few minutes. This is well within the range allowed by body cooling.

The other thing is a well-established psychological reaction: the brain will 'make up' a story to fill in missing information. This, together with the overall stress to the brain, explains the hallucinations. And yes, such hallucinations will be more and more common as doctors learn how to revive people closer and closer to death. There is even some data that suggests the *type* of medical issue that brings one close to death has a bearing on the type of NDE (positive, negative, some of the experiential details) one has. Also, much of the imagery is culturally determined.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#170604 Jul 2, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Except your old buddy Double Fine, right?
You are my ol pal Double, no doubt!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#170605 Jul 2, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
People have been revived after being submersed in cold water for up to half an hour. There is a natural reflex that slows the metabolism in such cases. In the Reynolds case, she was cooled for exactly this reason. That is what allowed her to survive the whole procedure. The claim that she was 'brain dead' for an hour is also incorrect. The aneurysm was removed immediately after her brain was drained and then warm blood was supplied. There were difficulties re-starting her heart, but the brain was supplied with blood after a few minutes. This is well within the range allowed by body cooling.
The other thing is a well-established psychological reaction: the brain will 'make up' a story to fill in missing information. This, together with the overall stress to the brain, explains the hallucinations. And yes, such hallucinations will be more and more common as doctors learn how to revive people closer and closer to death. There is even some data that suggests the *type* of medical issue that brings one close to death has a bearing on the type of NDE (positive, negative, some of the experiential details) one has. Also, much of the imagery is culturally determined.
If the brain can make up stories like that, and the feelings are as real or more real than any other experience, why do you think your conscious rationality is less illusional? Your body is under severe stress at those times. In danger. Survival mode. Your mind should be at its peak, not daydreaming.

No one has responded as to how evolution could produce such a process.
Imhotep

Howey In The Hills, FL

#170606 Jul 2, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>John 14-6
Lame with a capital L!

These are not only much better and decidedly older... but they all mankind will ever need...

"This is the sum of duty. Do not unto others that which would cause you pain if done to you." -- Mahabharata 5:1517, from the Vedic tradition of India, circa 3000 BCE

"What is hateful to you, do not to our fellow man. That is entire Law, all the rest is commentary." -- Talmud, Shabbat 31a, from the Judaic tradition, circa 1300 BCE

"That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto another whatsoever is not good for itself." -- Avesta, Dadistan-i-dinik 94:5, from the Zoroastrian tradition, circa 600 BCE

"Hurt not others in ways that you find hurtful." -- Tripitaka, Udanga-varga 5,18 , from the Buddhist tradition, circa 525 BCE

"Surely it is the maxim of loving kindness, do not unto others that which you would not have done unto you." -- Analects, Lun-yu XV,23, from the Confucian tradition, circa 500 BCE

"One should treat all beings as he himself would be treated." -- Agamas, Sutrakrtanga 1.10, 1-3, from the Jain tradition, circa 500 BCE

"Regard your neighbor's gain as your gain and your neighbor's loss as your loss." -- Tai-shang Kang-ying P'ien, from the Taoist tradition, circa 500 BCE

"Do not do to others that which would anger you if others did it to you." -- Socrates (the Greek philosopher), circa 470-399 BCE

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#170607 Jul 2, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Lame with a capital L!
These are not only much better and decidedly older... but they all mankind will ever need...
"This is the sum of duty. Do not unto others that which would cause you pain if done to you." -- Mahabharata 5:1517, from the Vedic tradition of India, circa 3000 BCE
"What is hateful to you, do not to our fellow man. That is entire Law, all the rest is commentary." -- Talmud, Shabbat 31a, from the Judaic tradition, circa 1300 BCE
"That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto another whatsoever is not good for itself." -- Avesta, Dadistan-i-dinik 94:5, from the Zoroastrian tradition, circa 600 BCE
"Hurt not others in ways that you find hurtful." -- Tripitaka, Udanga-varga 5,18 , from the Buddhist tradition, circa 525 BCE
"Surely it is the maxim of loving kindness, do not unto others that which you would not have done unto you." -- Analects, Lun-yu XV,23, from the Confucian tradition, circa 500 BCE
"One should treat all beings as he himself would be treated." -- Agamas, Sutrakrtanga 1.10, 1-3, from the Jain tradition, circa 500 BCE
"Regard your neighbor's gain as your gain and your neighbor's loss as your loss." -- Tai-shang Kang-ying P'ien, from the Taoist tradition, circa 500 BCE
"Do not do to others that which would anger you if others did it to you." -- Socrates (the Greek philosopher), circa 470-399 BCE
I was quoting the HOLY WORD OF GOD! not some jumbo-mumbo atheist are very dumb!!!!! you chumps use no logic
Favorite Adversary

Brooklyn, NY

#170608 Jul 2, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
How did she have hallucinations with NO brain activity for an hour?

Care to answer that?

Your use of the word "period" indicates emotional discomfort. Your opinion is final only because of your emotional discomfort in considering that this may have really happened.

Dr. Long has shared his methodologies with others who conduct the same research even if they come to different conclusions. It's the general public that is not made aware of the control measures. What you really mean is that YOU think YOU'RE entitled to know what those measures are. If you're conducting research that is subject to manipulation, isn't it wise to keep control measures within a specific "need-to-know" format so they can't be manipulated by those who have ulterior motives?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#170609 Jul 2, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>
How did she have hallucinations with NO brain activity for an hour?
The actual period when the brain was not perfused and without activity was a few minutes, not a full hour.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#170610 Jul 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
If the brain can make up stories like that, and the feelings are as real or more real than any other experience, why do you think your conscious rationality is less illusional? Your body is under severe stress at those times. In danger. Survival mode. Your mind should be at its peak, not daydreaming.
It *can't* be at its peak because it doesn't have the fuel required. Oxygen is needed to restore the ATP needed to run the system. The feelings and story were made up *after* the period of inactivity and 'filled in'. We know the brain does such 'filling in' in many situations, producing 'memories' that are out of order of the actual events.
No one has responded as to how evolution could produce such a process.
I doubt it was produced by evolutionary pressures. The release of endorphins in response to pain has a definite evolutionary effect: it makes the pain recede for a while, allowing focus on survival. The side effect is the hallucinations from the opiods. In the case of NDEs, the story comes from the 'tunnel vision' produced by anoxia and cultural expectations that are filled in later.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#170611 Jul 2, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Did you get back from Northants "pneu intact"?
<quoted text>
Yes thanks, I don’t have Pirelli tyres.

Massa’s blew right in front of me (about 50 feet) it was frightening, I really can’t imagine how the drivers felt at close on 200MPH. I once had a blow out at 70 and that was bad enough.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#170612 Jul 2, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Aww, the poor lost soul, Christine having to partner up with the UK queer (thinking)/dork to do battle with Clownie the Anointed. You two wilderness wanderers will have trouble coming up with a complete sentence, much less something that is intelligent. Now, be careful you two don't start walking in circles and end up dying of vertigo. Talk about the blind leading the blind! LMAO!!!
Anointed in what, fresh bullsh|t

Stop projecting, neither of us are christian so we don’t do circles while hoping that next time round we'll get a different answer, that is entirely your domain.

Yes I suppose it does take real village idiot stupidity to laugh as yourself as much as you do

“1000 Sting of Scorpion to you”

Since: Feb 07

Jurassic, Indiana

#170613 Jul 2, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>He sounds like a cool guy!
Hey, Clown … my identical twin brother, Artie the Anointed, says he will definitely drop in on this thread. He said he's been searching for the Topix thread that had the most brain dead atheist heathens. He should be here in a couple of days! Currently, the Anointed One, is buying fire extinguishers to give FREE of charge to the pathetic atheists who are heading straight to hell. He said he would have waited until those poor fools were on their death beds, crying out to God for forgiveness ... but, he has to expedite that mission, because the atheist's pants are already on fire! ;)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Stilgar Fifrawi 764,924
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 15 min MUQ2 37,651
What Obama will buy in the Black Friday !! 21 min Mick- 2
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 21 min Oxbow 554,955
Moses never existed 1 hr Dr Wu 561
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Ugly Truth from d... 603,644
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 1 hr Hatti_Hollerand 4,413
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr Roberta G 175,047
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr Dr_Zorderz 263,529

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE