Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244816 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#170677 Jul 2, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for clearing up that Reynolds incident, poly. I hadn't bothered to look it up.
Yes, we will see more of these in the future. You know, I've never heard of a Muslim meeting Jesus or Allah appearing to a Christian, is this part of the cultural determination?

They are two different kiddie rides at the same carnival, but you cant ride them both at the same time. So I recommended going to the science fair instead, cause the robots are better than the godbots.:)

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#170678 Jul 2, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, adrenaline flow heightens the senses when danger is perceived. You've probably heard of the 'fight or flight' response. That's before bodily trauma, afterwards some people go into shock. Why?
There is excellent research on trauma shock. NDEs are a more recent medical experience. Someone with a more medical background than I would be able to explain it better.
Just because you want an answer now, Now, NOW...doesn't mean you'll get one. The sooner the mystics and frauds quit muddying the waters the quicker we'll get some verifiable proof.
Sound good? I'm grateful that sensations of pain receded and my mind was calm, polymath's explanation resonates with me.
Excellent. You have great insight, reflected in this and your other posts.

Stick around.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#170679 Jul 2, 2013
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>Great post!
The reality is...no one knows.
That's why I am Agnostic.
Maybe there is an "afterlife"???
I say, does there really have to be a GOD to experience an afterlife, or other dimensions?
Not really.
Maybe there is an afterlife, or other dimensions, without a GOD.
Maybe there is a God, without other dimensions, or an afterlife?
I love Critical thinking....
Lol, I've always said that I would like to be a sentient rock after I die (or after my body dies would probably be more accurate), but I digress.

There is a lovely fountain in front of the library at the local University....with large boulders placed around it. I would like to be there and find out how all the fascinating things that are going on in this world turn out.

I'm afraid that's more fantasizing that critical thinking...oh well;0)

“1000 Sting of Scorpion to you”

Since: Feb 07

Jurassic, Indiana

#170680 Jul 2, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
atheism is the ultimate intellectual suicide
Give 'em hell, Clown! Oh, never mind they'll get it soon enough! Some pertinent info for you ... Artie the Anointed is currently standing at ground zero in the Great Temple of Knowledge, Truth & Wisdom! Yep, he's soaking in all the knowledge of the universe. The boy is like a gigantic sponge! Soaking in all the mysteries, thoughts, dreams, knowledge, wisdom, truths, and, and, and... even the astonishing universal, unbelievable statistics and innuendoes of a Broadway José Trilogy. He misses nothing that is pertinent to life on Earth ... or, anywhere else in the un-bordered universe. What a guy!!!:)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#170681 Jul 2, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
They are two different kiddie rides at the same carnival, but you cant ride them both at the same time. So I recommended going to the science fair instead, cause the robots are better than the godbots.:)
Agreed!

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#170682 Jul 2, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent. You have great insight, reflected in this and your other posts.
Stick around.
I will as long as you do;0) As long as there are other rational people to read, I like a thread.

Sometimes people get bored and move on....except for the trolls, there's no fun in that.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#170683 Jul 2, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>The two crucified criminals who hung on crosses either side of Jesus were representative of you and me. Are you mocking Jesus, or are you asking Jesus for help? If you choose to ask Him for help you will receive the same reward that criminal received:“today you will be with me in paradise”!
Which cross are you hanging from?
choose Jesus Christ
That never happened

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#170684 Jul 3, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, organic material isn't like silver or copper, but you keep throwing your comparisons between machinery, circuit boards and such out there like it's an established fact when it's just your pseudo scientific notions...
I'm sure KK is aware of and realizes that.
Thus why I don't respond to most of what the idiot posts. ;)

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#170685 Jul 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
No she isn't.
Cells pass the charge to each other in organic material. Similar cells form components within the larger circuitry. The structure of the cells allows for more random firing due to spurious signals or mechanical pressure. Metallic conductors don't have the generation capability in their molecules that those cells do. Simply put, you don't have the feedback issue in simple electrical circuits. You will in organic matter because of the semiconductor and battery nature of the cells. You don't have water, salt, and trace elements in cells for the hell of it.
Pour some salty water on your motherboard while it is running. You will see the kind of feedback I am referring to.
She has rudimentary knowledge of electrical circuitry, even less of neuro-transmission of electrical charges. Therefore she thinks too simply about it.
Are we discussing machines or biological processes? Either one I can discuss, but the two are not comparable in this manner you wish to compare them.
Thinking

York, UK

#170686 Jul 3, 2013
As belief wanes, cancer survival rates are improving...
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Really meow....I was gonna say the same thing about you, but I'm way nicer than you. I can tell. Oh by the way....Science is way better than god is at curing things. If your "god" was so awesome then he'd wave his huge magic hand and he'd cure all the kiddies from leukemia...in fact, if he were as great as you claim then he would make all of those things go away. Not creating them would have been the best idea. Christians say "god" created everything, except for the bad stuff..."god" didn't create the bad stuff, but he did create everything....seems legit lol
Thinking

York, UK

#170687 Jul 3, 2013
Careful where you put your malformed feet.
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>I tread the bible it sez you're a fool

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#170688 Jul 3, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Wow... long hours no doubt being worked to get "safe" tyres to Germany in just three days.
<quoted text>
I am sure they have a plentiful supply of “older” and less likely to explode tyres available. Even if not the price of failure to produce would be so devastating that they will put every available engineer on 24 hour shift with whatever bonus they ask for just to keep the contract

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#170689 Jul 3, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith is not based on our own knowledge or experience. The Bible says in Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see". I belive! you don't! Im fine with that.. I can't prove what you can't disprove... We both have faith in our belief...:/
Knowledge has nothing to do with it, what you place your faith in is hope that the babble is not a pack of lies. Nothing more, nothing less

Genesis 19:30 Lot and his two daughters left Zoar and settled in the mountains, for he was afraid to stay in Zoar. He and his two daughters lived in a cave.

And Lot said, I really do wish your mother was here now, a bit of salt would really improve this boiled cave rat.
Thinking

York, UK

#170690 Jul 3, 2013
I heard that the expensive Kevlar they dropped is back in the tyres.

Do you also think that part of this is down to the tyres lasting quite a bit longer than they did in 2012?
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure they have a plentiful supply of “older” and less likely to explode tyres available. Even if not the price of failure to produce would be so devastating that they will put every available engineer on 24 hour shift with whatever bonus they ask for just to keep the contract
Imhotep

Howey In The Hills, FL

#170691 Jul 3, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Knowledge has nothing to do with it, what you place your faith in is hope that the babble is not a pack of lies. Nothing more, nothing less
Genesis 19:30 Lot and his two daughters left Zoar and settled in the mountains, for he was afraid to stay in Zoar. He and his two daughters lived in a cave.
And Lot said, I really do wish your mother was here now, a bit of salt would really improve this boiled cave rat.
Hitler walks up to the Pearly Gates and says to St Peter, "I'd like to come in."

St Peter: "Not likely!"

Hitler: I've repented and I've given back all the gold and treasures that I stole from the Jews, and I'm really sorry."

At that point, Jesus walks up and asks what's going on.

St Peter: "It's Hitler here, he wants to come in."

Jesus: "Bugger off!"

Hitler: "No, it's true! To prove it, I've got a six foot solid gold cross I can't find the owner of. I could give that to you."

Now Jesus was partial to crosses, so he went to see God.

Jesus: "Hey Dad, I've got Hitler outside and he wants to come in now he's repented."

God: "Tell him to get lost!"

Jesus: "But Dad, he's given back all the gold that he stole from the Jews - except for a six foot, solid gold cross he can't find the owner for. He says I can have it."

God: "And what do you want with a solid gold cross? You couldn't even carry a freaking wooden one!"

;)
Imhotep

Howey In The Hills, FL

#170692 Jul 3, 2013
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>Just putting in my two cents:
Let me get this straight:
The supposed Christian "God" has no problem with allowing child molesters, murderers, rapists, thieves, etc....into Heaven with nothing more than saying "forgive me".
YET, Critical thinkers will burn in hell for eternity...suffering?
You buy that crap? You AGREE with that crap?
Honestly...is that a God worth worshipping?
I do not pretend to be able to prove that there is no God.

I equally cannot prove that Satan is a fiction.

The Christian God may exist; so may the gods of Olympus, or of ancient Egypt, or of Babylon.

But no one of these hypotheses is more probable than any other: they lie outside the region of even probable knowledge, and therefore there is no reason to consider any of them.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible.

"A thing is not proved just because no one has ever questioned it. What has never been gone into impartially has never been properly gone into. Hence scepticism is the first step toward truth. It must be applied generally, because it is the touchstone."
Denis Diderot
French author, encyclopedist, & philosopher (1713 - 1784)

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#170693 Jul 3, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>wait a min you don't believe in GOD! then who cause all these things???? science has no cures! who's fault is that? come on science guys you dudes are dragging ass... I want cures!!!!!! yeah right
Then, assuming you're true to your faith, you're not vaccinated against anything, take no medications under any circumstances, and never, ever, see a doctor.
d pantz

United States

#170694 Jul 3, 2013
It does take the same asinine belief that one would know enough to say any of it is certain. Good jib .

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#170695 Jul 3, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>you worship science !!!!!!!!!!
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHASN ORTSHAHAHAHAHAHAFARTSHAHAHAHAH A !!!!!!!!!! LMAO ~~~~~~~ Science can't get the weather forcast right!!!! come on science why have you not cured leukemia? come on science guys we;re waiting!!! dumb atheist blame GOD for all the bad things in the world but none of the good things!!! what a bunch of chumps PSALM 14-1 fools
Read Isaiah 45:7, dimwit.

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things." - KJV.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#170697 Jul 3, 2013
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I am 35 years old, so it would take a LOT of proof or experiences to convert me to Christianity.
I would be curious as to WHAT changed you from Agnostic to Christian specifically?
I am absolutely open minded....that's why Im Agnostic instead of Atheist. I am open to PROOF at any time! I WANT proof. I welcome proof!
Why would "someone or something" have to restore human consciousness?
Why would it take a "God" to do that?
Why couldn't consciousness be restored without Someone or something doing it?
Maybe is restores itself automatically.
Me being "me" has to do with DNA, and that is the premise of Darwinism...natural selection, and individualism.
I'm confused as to WHY you use individualism as your point, when individualism is the premise against Christianity?
Hmm... A woman who admits her age?:D You're about my age... I was Christian for a bit then rejected it when I realized more and more that the bible did not make sense scientifically, and in a lot of cases, even morally. I've been agnostic for quite a few years now, but a series of experiences that I've had recently has shown me that God was in it the whole time, and has been showing me the way. I've come to the feeling that I HAD to be agnostic for a certain period of time in my life in order to see the value in being a Christian. It was my path, and I don't regret it.

There's no such thing as objective proof. It's all subjective. The moment a person tries to objectify their religion is the moment it loses value, and turns into something that people use for power over other people.

I can't really elaborate on the experiences, as they are very personal, and some of them are painful.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min PELE78 864,653
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 15 min disciple 599,644
The Christian Atheist debate 59 min Rosa_Winkel 2,002
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 6,463
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 1 hr Raje 449
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr GREAT DAY OF ARMA... 40,874
News Vermont towns vote to arrest Bush and Cheney (Mar '08) 1 hr Alex - Infowars d... 1,165
More from around the web