Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#170491 Jun 30, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
And I notice that you don't present this as a belief, but as a truth.
I base my position on the evidence we have, from how our psychological states are related to our brain states to how even small changes in the physical brain can produce drastic changes in our psyche. When the brain stops, we are gone in the same way a candle flame is gone when the candle is blown out.
Another aspect that we *know* about the brain is that it will 'fill in' missing pieces based on previous beliefs. Even watching a movie shows this (there are always distinct frames that are filled in by the brain). So it isn't surprising that brains under stress will fill in and produce NDEs.
It is a truth in the physical world.

You stop a flow of energy and you get a back current as the matter tries to return to equilibrium.

The energy in your body affects the molecules in it, including those that cause thought. You create an EM signature. There will be a reverse flow, and thus potential for reforming to that place your virtual particles come drifting in and out of. Reverse loops ins pace or maybe even in your dark matter.

What happened to your QM thinking? The body will wind up rotting, but the charge it created could very well create a sort of mirror consciousness, at least at the core level

Location hidden

#170492 Jun 30, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever had an NDE? I have. Now, who would you logically suppose is ignorant on the subject....one hint, look in the mirror.
Don't worry about my shape, fortunately for me you'll never know. Even better, I'll never have to look at yours;0)
I am Topix atheist forum famous for my NDE.

Tell us about yours.

Location hidden

#170493 Jun 30, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm trying to tell you, Dave.
It's called sanity.
Catcher, true sanity can only be a remote concept beyond your comprehension evinced by your performance on here.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#170494 Jun 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Goonyloony, my total consciousness was inches and seconds away from stepping into a totally different existence. I had already checked out of this hotel. Not the slightest thought of my eternal discontinuance ever occurred to me. This one, yes, but that old consciousness just kept on a ticking away.
Come back to me when you have some experience.
Yes, yes, the dying brain will produce numerous delusions, do try and be more grounded in what neuroscience shows what happens to a dying brain.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#170495 Jun 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't a clue as to what I think or how I arrived at it. You are too focused on what you think.
So you had an NDE. Mind telling us about it?
Your difficulty in rational thinking is painfully obvious to all. BTW, I was responding to a post in which you claimed was the way ALL atheists think. Seems you can dish it out but can't take it, tsk, tsk.

Sure, post partum hemorrhage after the birth of my first child.

I felt light headded and dizzy, which was odd since I was laying on my back and then I couldn't seem to breathe.

I seemed to be very cold (the body shuts down the blood flow to the extremities enabling the major organs to receive whatever circulation there is) and the last words I heard the nurse say were "over 27" which I found out later was my blood pressure reading near the end of the experience.

My vision had grown dark around the edges and I felt that I was floating downstream in a particular spring fed creek we went to when I was a kid.(Memory and personal experiences relating to an oxygen starved brain.)

I was headed towards a narrow bend in the creek where the trees on the bank overlapped and blocked out most of the sun. I "felt sure" that once I entered the darker and much faster waters, I would never return and it didn't bother me one bit.

Then I felt pain and tried to push the Dr. away as I got that first gulp of oxygen. I opened my eyes and I was still in bed (as I had been all along) and I only thought I had pushed the Dr. away as my arms were still limp at my sides.

That's what happened and how I felt, I survived and about a week later went home with my newborn. The baby was the big deal to me, certainly not the incident.

Location hidden

#170496 Jun 30, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, yes, the dying brain will produce numerous delusions, do try and be more grounded in what neuroscience shows what happens to a dying brain.
Knock, knock.

This is the neuroscientist.

Is anybody in there?

Is anyone at home?

Guess not.

You will not understand the significance of perspective in such doings.

Let me tell you something. Thought is invisible. Even the thought produced by matter. Particularly abstract thinking.

You are confused about just what they do know and what they think may happen strictly on a physical basis.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#170497 Jun 30, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Your difficulty in rational thinking is painfully obvious to all. BTW, I was responding to a post in which you claimed was the way ALL atheists think. Seems you can dish it out but can't take it, tsk, tsk.
I felt light headded and dizzy, which was odd since I was laying on my back and then I couldn't seem to breathe.
I seemed to be very cold (the body shuts down the blood flow to the extremities enabling the major organs to receive whatever circulation there is) and the last words I heard the nurse say were "over 27" which I found out later was my blood pressure reading near the end of the experience.
My vision had grown dark around the edges and I felt that I was floating downstream in a particular spring fed creek we went to when I was a kid.(Memory and personal experiences relating to an oxygen starved brain.)
I was headed towards a narrow bend in the creek where the trees on the bank overlapped and blocked out most of the sun. I "felt sure" that once I entered the darker and much faster waters, I would never return and it didn't bother me one bit.
Then I felt pain and tried to push the Dr. away as I got that first gulp of oxygen. I opened my eyes and I was still in bed (as I had been all along) and I only thought I had pushed the Dr. away as my arms were still limp at my sides.
That's what happened and how I felt, I survived and about a week later went home with my newborn. The baby was the big deal to me, certainly not the incident.
Yours doesn't count since it doesn't involve jesus.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#170498 Jun 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Catcher, true sanity can only be a remote concept beyond your comprehension evinced by your performance on here.
Word salad, Dave.

We don't do that here.

Location hidden

#170499 Jun 30, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't post my whole experience again. I was hit by truck. My consciousness got separated from my body and didn't even think to return to it after having a sudden revelation I just died. A great sense of loss of place in this production. Then a waking up on another plane, which I can't remember the details of, and then a processing that occurred and my temporary return in prep to step into another existence I was watching through the window. Fully cogent and aware, though not thinking like I do with this physical brain. Just a very basic consciousness without much clutter. I was then alerted I was still a viable physical construct and dove back into my body. The sound of my ragged first breath in a while was the first thing I heard.

No bright lights, no Jesus, no one waiting for me. I was an atheist for 3 decades by that time. But I did come back with an unexplainable sympathy for any supreme being that would have to be omniscient and eternal. You can't exist that way. You need something to occupy your time. Surprises even. I did get a taste of eternity during that waking up I mentioned. A very profound experience.

If you read my posts you will see I approach this existence from a technological basis. I can see past the physical. I've been detached from it, so I can approach it differently from someone who never left the cage they were caught in. All I will tell you is don't assume you will go to sleep forever when this body stops functioning. As it is, sleep as you know it is strictly a physical process of a living creature. It isn't physical death.

Location hidden

#170500 Jun 30, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Word salad, Dave.
We don't do that here.
vac·u·ous
/&#712;vakyo&#862;o &#601;s/
Adjective

Having or showing a lack of thought or intelligence; mindless: "a vacuous smile".
Empty.

Or much of anything else on a higher mental plane.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#170501 Jun 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't post my whole experience again. I was hit by truck.
Nuff said.

How's the truck?

Location hidden

#170502 Jun 30, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Nuff said.
How's the truck?
They said it may have suffered 25 dollars of damage to the fender. I understand the driver was inconvenienced by having to drive the bulldozer off the trailer before he could change the flat he got on it. Was probably a cheap and worn tire.

BTW, never get hit by a truck whose insurance company is not licensed to do business in this country, much less the state he is registered in. No one would ever tell me why the state of Florida let him operate like that.

Location hidden

#170503 Jun 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
They said it may have suffered 25 dollars of damage to the fender. I understand the driver was inconvenienced by having to drive the bulldozer off the trailer before he could change the flat he got on it. Was probably a cheap and worn tire.
BTW, never get hit by a truck whose insurance company is not licensed to do business in this country, much less the state he is registered in. No one would ever tell me why the state of Florida let him operate like that.
Good advice. I'll make a mental note: Never get hit by a truck.

Filed.

Thanks Dave.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#170504 Jun 30, 2013
So you really think some invisible sky wizard needs a spirit Dave Nelson regaling him with stories of magnets and strings for an eternity?

Get a grip you senile old chumpstain.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>LOL!!!

No big deal, eh?

Ignorance is bliss.

It's you trapped in that body while alive, sweetie. Whatever shape it is in.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#170505 Jun 30, 2013
He was in a car wreck and banged his head, and while knocked loopy he saw green spiderwebs of Jesus.

Does that count?
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ever had an NDE? I have. Now, who would you logically suppose is ignorant on the subject....one hint, look in the mirror.

Don't worry about my shape, fortunately for me you'll never know. Even better, I'll never have to look at yours;0)

Location hidden

#170506 Jun 30, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Good advice. I'll make a mental note: Never get hit by a truck.
Filed.
Thanks Dave.
:-)

I read where your love life hit a snag, little one. Want a kindly older man to help comfort you during this period of stress?

Location hidden

#170507 Jun 30, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
So you really think some invisible sky wizard needs a spirit Dave Nelson regaling him with stories of magnets and strings for an eternity?
Get a grip you senile old chumpstain.
<quoted text>
Butch, why don't you just go do something you are good at? Grab your Johnson out of the drawer and go show wifey what a man you are. She would like that.

Location hidden

#170508 Jun 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I read where your love life hit a snag, little one. Want a kindly older man to help comfort you during this period of stress?
Would you like a little lesbian to show you what genitals should look like?

My blades are sharp. You may not feel a thing.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#170509 Jun 30, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Rather fight than switch huh? lol If you slice him the right way , you could make him better looking and female? HAHAHA Don't try this at home!

Location hidden

#170510 Jun 30, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I will trust your appreciation of art coupled with genetic instincts to overcome such thoughts. You may even wind up having a religious experience of a sort.

But you are probably too chicken to find out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Dave Nelson 779,039
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min PopeIsDemon 560,661
The World Will End On May 21, 2011 (Aug '08) 7 min Innocent Holy dr ... 16,462
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 11 min Pegasus 265,580
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 19 min Innocent Holy dr ... 605,384
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 32 min MAKEWORLDPEACEUID... 4,933
Moses never existed 1 hr KiMare 852
How do I ask my dad for sex? (Oct '13) 3 hr daveo69 72
More from around the web