Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 243461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#170575 Jul 1, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
The's no god until you have proven me wrong
you haven't disprove GOD! I believe in GOD and creation

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#170576 Jul 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I hear you didn't get to screw your girlfriend until she died.
<quoted text>
who asked you sissy boy...The gay blade of topix..

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#170577 Jul 1, 2013
Osama bin-Saban wrote:
Hey, Clown ... my identical twin brother, Artie the Anointed might visit this thread. I told him of the incredible war of words happening here, between The Believers of God and the most ignorant people crawling around the beautiful planet of Earth ... The Mentally Challenged Dorks! He sounded very interested in dropping in for a few laughs!:)
He sounds like a cool guy!

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#170578 Jul 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The function shuts down because of lack of oxygen. Takes a bit longer for degradation of the material. If you can be revived quick enough they can be fired back up. But being organic material used as conductors you will have a variation in recovery. Organic material is not like copper or silver. This is something KK doesn't realize.
Yeah, organic material isn't like silver or copper, but you keep throwing your comparisons between machinery, circuit boards and such out there like it's an established fact when it's just your pseudo scientific notions...

I'm sure KK is aware of and realizes that.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#170579 Jul 1, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, organic material isn't like silver or copper, but you keep throwing your comparisons between machinery, circuit boards and such out there like it's an established fact when it's just your pseudo scientific notions...
I'm sure KK is aware of and realizes that.
No she isn't.

Cells pass the charge to each other in organic material. Similar cells form components within the larger circuitry. The structure of the cells allows for more random firing due to spurious signals or mechanical pressure. Metallic conductors don't have the generation capability in their molecules that those cells do. Simply put, you don't have the feedback issue in simple electrical circuits. You will in organic matter because of the semiconductor and battery nature of the cells. You don't have water, salt, and trace elements in cells for the hell of it.

Pour some salty water on your motherboard while it is running. You will see the kind of feedback I am referring to.

She has rudimentary knowledge of electrical circuitry, even less of neuro-transmission of electrical charges. Therefore she thinks too simply about it.

Thinking

York, UK

#170580 Jul 1, 2013
So you admit you f*ck corpses. Watch out jesus, DK Clunt is going to spunk in your spear hole!
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>who asked you sissy boy...The gay blade of topix..
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#170581 Jul 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Knock, knock.
This is the neuroscientist.
Is anybody in there?
Is anyone at home?
Guess not.
You will not understand the significance of perspective in such doings.
Let me tell you something. Thought is invisible. Even the thought produced by matter. Particularly abstract thinking.
You are confused about just what they do know and what they think may happen strictly on a physical basis.
How fortunate we are that science, including Neuroscience, focuses on things based on the physical. Look how much science has advanced our species, our understanding of the universe, all because they ONLY focused on the physical. Why do you suppose that is? Could it be that little can be learned about things that are only imagined?

Thought is a part of the human brain which is purely physical, and that includes abstract thoughts. Thoughts usual manifest themselves in the physical. I think of an abstract musical idea, realize it on a musical score, produce the individual parts, on my down beat my abstract thoughts become purely physical as music.

“What U Don't Know U Fear”

Since: Mar 13

What U Fear U Will Never Know

#170582 Jul 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, first link supports what I stated, and second link was science and medicine. Did you even read them? I'm guessing not.
Uhm you need to read them. The first link is only about brain damage, not how long it remains conscious,

The second link is Gods miracle, the white lights. But then again the whole link is total BS. I believe your evomorons say once a lie is found in the link, then the whole link is a lie and void. Well normal air you and I breath is 21% oxygen. Now the most oxygen you can get is 100%. This line from your link "He was getting six times the amount of normal oxygen." Really Really REALLY. How does one get 126% oxygen?(6x21%). That lie alone voids the whole link.

Westcliffe, CO

#170583 Jul 1, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>How fortunate we are that science, including Neuroscience, focuses on things based on the physical. Look how much science has advanced our species, our understanding of the universe, all because they ONLY focused on the physical. Why do you suppose that is? Could it be that little can be learned about things that are only imagined?
Thought is a part of the human brain which is purely physical, and that includes abstract thoughts. Thoughts usual manifest themselves in the physical. I think of an abstract musical idea, realize it on a musical score, produce the individual parts, on my down beat my abstract thoughts become purely physical as music.
Your physical music hasn't got a clue you even existed, no matter how ordered and complicated it is.

Again, you will not understand that.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#170584 Jul 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
No she isn't.
Cells pass the charge to each other in organic material. Similar cells form components within the larger circuitry. The structure of the cells allows for more random firing due to spurious signals or mechanical pressure. Metallic conductors don't have the generation capability in their molecules that those cells do. Simply put, you don't have the feedback issue in simple electrical circuits. You will in organic matter because of the semiconductor and battery nature of the cells. You don't have water, salt, and trace elements in cells for the hell of it.
Pour some salty water on your motherboard while it is running. You will see the kind of feedback I am referring to.
She has rudimentary knowledge of electrical circuitry, even less of neuro-transmission of electrical charges. Therefore she thinks too simply about it.
So are you saying that the "organic system" humans operate by, is subject to error, feedback and misfirings?

If so, that explains your NDE quite nicely, the last gasps of a dying brain...erm...circuit board brain covered in salt water.

Or whatever it is you want to "think" of it as.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#170585 Jul 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>

Fear as you are falling apart. Higher thought functions are the first to go.
And you are a perfect example.

Westcliffe, CO

#170586 Jul 1, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you saying that the "organic system" humans operate by, is subject to error, feedback and misfirings?
If so, that explains your NDE quite nicely, the last gasps of a dying brain...erm...circuit board brain covered in salt water.
Or whatever it is you want to "think" of it as.
You will have your own experience. Perhaps not a drill before, though.

Nice to see you don't need one. You know so much about it.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#170587 Jul 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your physical music hasn't got a clue you even existed, no matter how ordered and complicated it is.
Again, you will not understand that.
And what you FAIL to understand is that my Physical music would never exist without me. Without my thoughts carried through to the final conclusion, there is no music. My physical music is very well aware of its creator.

Westcliffe, CO

#170588 Jul 1, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And what you FAIL to understand is that my Physical music would never exist without me. Without my thoughts carried through to the final conclusion, there is no music. My physical music is very well aware of its creator.
Totally and unequivocally wrong. The closest it can get is bouncing off your head, and it still wouldn't know you.

Music is just pressure waves, just like you are.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#170589 Jul 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
So you admit you f*ck corpses. Watch out Jesus, DK Clunt is going to spunk in your spear hole!
<quoted text>
So you admit you are a sissy boy? sure you do

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#170590 Jul 1, 2013
Thinking about blowing wrote:
So you admit you f*ck corpses. Watch out jesus, DK Clunt is going to spunk in your spear hole!
<quoted text>
why do you hang out in the mens room on your knees begging for men to pull them big ol rabbit ears while you gargle their balls?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#170591 Jul 1, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Yours doesn't count since it doesn't involve jesus.
LMFAO!

No, just physical sensations, misfiring neurons, random associations....not one single jeebus in there!

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#170592 Jul 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't post my whole experience again. I was hit by truck. My consciousness got separated from my body and didn't even think to return to it after having a sudden revelation I just died. A great sense of loss of place in this production. Then a waking up on another plane, which I can't remember the details of, and then a processing that occurred and my temporary return in prep to step into another existence I was watching through the window. Fully cogent and aware, though not thinking like I do with this physical brain. Just a very basic consciousness without much clutter. I was then alerted I was still a viable physical construct and dove back into my body. The sound of my ragged first breath in a while was the first thing I heard.
No bright lights, no Jesus, no one waiting for me. I was an atheist for 3 decades by that time. But I did come back with an unexplainable sympathy for any supreme being that would have to be omniscient and eternal. You can't exist that way. You need something to occupy your time. Surprises even. I did get a taste of eternity during that waking up I mentioned. A very profound experience.
If you read my posts you will see I approach this existence from a technological basis. I can see past the physical. I've been detached from it, so I can approach it differently from someone who never left the cage they were caught in. All I will tell you is don't assume you will go to sleep forever when this body stops functioning. As it is, sleep as you know it is strictly a physical process of a living creature. It isn't physical death.
I appreciate your honesty.

Having come through an NDE or whatever you wish to call it, I realized that death isn't the frightening thing I would have once thought it was. There is some comfort in that since we all have to face it sooner or later anyway.

If you feel there is something beyond, so be it. I do not.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#170593 Jul 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
He was in a car wreck and banged his head, and while knocked loopy he saw green spiderwebs of Jesus.
Does that count?
<quoted text>
To many it counts. I can live with that. I thought I was in places I wasn't, I thought I did things that I didn't and I had "sure" feelings that have no basis and since they were not followed to a conclusion, who the heck knows?

The hallucinations seemed real enough (at the time) but the only thing I can say with absolute conviction is that I was hallucinating and it was NOT real;0)

Green spiderwebs of jesus??? You are a poet my dear.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#170594 Jul 1, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no 'flow of energy' in that sense in life. Death *is* the return to equilibrium.
<quoted text>
Which decays with death.
<quoted text>
Sorry, but this is just twaddle.
<quoted text>
There is no 'charge it created'. That is part of your delusion. You like to use scientific words like 'charge' and 'potential', and 'energy', but seem not to understand what any of those actually are.
So, we have two people here in the forum that have had NDEs. Both NDEs were similar. But they derived very different interpretations of them. Which should we take as substantiated? At the very least, we know that a brain put under stress will hallucinate and then fill in missing time. Since that accords nicely with both experiences and is the interpretation given to one of them, isn't it likely that *you* interpret yours incorrectly?
The number of NDEs has grown with medical advancement. Doctors can now revive us from many various close calls. Ironically, people will NOT accept the natural phenomena explained by the very same medical advancements and prefer to go to the otherworldly, the mystical something as the "answer."

Sheesh.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Lumatrix 855,381
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 6 min andet1987 6,154
"Hey!!!! Do you think I have an ODD-SHAPED HEAD... 8 min USaWarringIdiotSo... 38
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min June VanDerMark 596,507
The Christian Atheist debate 24 min ChristINSANITY is... 1,033
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 33 min andet1987 1,461
"How much WIGGLIN' you plan on DOIN'??! lol 39 min Doctor REALITY 10
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr End Times 612,638
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr An NFL Fan 177,211
More from around the web