Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#170465 Jun 30, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Am I misinterpreting this, or does the Klown think Emmet Kelly is the Father of Evolution? Please tell me I'm wrong...
Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me.

T'other day he got snarky at me for quoting an "atheist website" - specifically, "Answers in Genesis".

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#170466 Jun 30, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.. there are no good answers for you mac... you're hard headed as they come..
Bro. Clownie
Fundie for "I don't know! And you can't make me know! I don't have to know!"

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#170467 Jun 30, 2013
Lmfao!

Hahahahahahahaha!

Thanks for the laughs!:))
Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>The website below is that of Dr.Jeffrey Long. He is a leading researcher in Near Death Experiences.

http://www.nderf.org/

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#170469 Jun 30, 2013
Fred wrote:
<quoted text> Dickhead.
http://media.photobucket.com/user/ehumanure/m... [term]=dickhead&filters[pr imary]=images&sort=1&o =57#/user/ehumanure/media/Funn y/dickhead.jpg.html?filters%5B term%5D=dickhead&filters%5 Bprimary%5D=images&sort=1 &o=57&_suid=1372623675 85903494090571250037
Thanks for your picture, Fred

You're strange looking, Fred. I suggest you contact a better photographer, Fred.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#170471 Jun 30, 2013
<quoted text>
What's your opinion on Near Death experiences?
Been there, done that. The body has it's own way of responding to trauma and pain of various kinds. No big deal.

Glad to be alive and an atheist;0)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#170472 Jun 30, 2013
<quoted text>
Are you 100% certain of that?
Yes.

Location hidden

#170473 Jun 30, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Been there, done that. The body has it's own way of responding to trauma and pain of various kinds. No big deal.
Glad to be alive and an atheist;0)
LOL!!!

No big deal, eh?

Ignorance is bliss.

It's you trapped in that body while alive, sweetie. Whatever shape it is in.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#170474 Jun 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
It is highly amusing how the beliefs, conclusions, and argumentation Topix atheists have about life, existence, et al, are based upon the proclamations of others. Like stujents just learning something and arguing the finer points of what the professor just told them.
Will they ever mature? That is the question.
And you rest your proclamations on the words of others, theologians, primitive goat herders who told stories that were written into a book, etc.

Will you ever aspire to thinking for yourself? So far, the answer to that question is a resounding no.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#170475 Jun 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!!
No big deal, eh?
Ignorance is bliss.
Too funny, only someone who see's life as a mere interlude would think of a persons as being "Trapped in that body."

See how negative your religion is, "trapped" carries such a feeling of hopelessness, probably the way you view life, as totally hopeless. Also "Trapped" while your alive carries with it the unsupported notion that the person trapped will be released upon death. More childish wish thinking. Wishing for something doesn't make it real, but you just keep on dreaming!!!!!

Location hidden

#170479 Jun 30, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
And you rest your proclamations on the words of others, theologians, primitive goat herders who told stories that were written into a book, etc.
Will you ever aspire to thinking for yourself? So far, the answer to that question is a resounding no.
You haven't a clue as to what I think or how I arrived at it. You are too focused on what you think.

So you had an NDE. Mind telling us about it?
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#170480 Jun 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!!
No big deal, eh?
Ignorance is bliss.
"Ignorance is bliss?" To be ignorant means certain information is either not understood, or one is unaware of this information. What "information" is this person ignorant of? Lets remember that "information" are FACTS provided or learned about something or someone. Now what FACTS is this person ignorant of? I'll wait!!!
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#170481 Jun 30, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
In Hell, you won't, you dumb shit..
So I won't be alive when I'm in hell? Can hurt very much if I'm dead now can it!!! BTW, I'll still be an Atheist. You really are not very intelligent!!!!!

Location hidden

#170482 Jun 30, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Too funny, only someone who see's life as a mere interlude would think of a persons as being "Trapped in that body."
See how negative your religion is, "trapped" carries such a feeling of hopelessness, probably the way you view life, as totally hopeless. Also "Trapped" while your alive carries with it the unsupported notion that the person trapped will be released upon death. More childish wish thinking. Wishing for something doesn't make it real, but you just keep on dreaming!!!!!
Goonyloony, my total consciousness was inches and seconds away from stepping into a totally different existence. I had already checked out of this hotel. Not the slightest thought of my eternal discontinuance ever occurred to me. This one, yes, but that old consciousness just kept on a ticking away.

Come back to me when you have some experience.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#170483 Jun 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Goonyloony, my total consciousness was inches and seconds away from stepping into a totally different existence. I had already checked out of this hotel. Not the slightest thought of my eternal discontinuance ever occurred to me. This one, yes, but that old consciousness just kept on a ticking away.
Come back to me when you have some experience.
Dave, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but I must.

Some people are actually sane.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#170484 Jun 30, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>It's a known fact that the brain when deprived of oxygen will hallucinate, a dying brain will create all sorts of seemingly very real images, the most famous is the light at the end of a long tunnel.
Tunnel vision (Kalnienk vision) has many common causes from various diseases, loss of blood, too much alcohol, extreme stress, and yes, hallucinations.

I'm glad you recognize it as a known and documented medical condition. The hallucinations are unique to the individual, their backgrounds and experiences. It's not like someone comes back after an NDE knowing a language or skill they didn't already posess.

Kind of reminds me of "faith healing" (aka the placebo effect). When they can regrow an amputated limb, let me know;0)

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#170485 Jun 30, 2013
<quoted text>
This story may be of interest to you then :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =WNbdUEqDB-kXX
Isn't it interesting what the brain will do when stressed?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#170486 Jun 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The physical consciousness most certainly does.
Glad to see you specified that as a belief, and not an absolute truth.
Space is half the circuit of this existence, Poly. Your ground state. Like a charged capacitor, the energy is released back into the source when the juice stops flowing in that direction, but it does so in the opposite direction and same force. You create a mirror image.
And I notice that you don't present this as a belief, but as a truth.

I base my position on the evidence we have, from how our psychological states are related to our brain states to how even small changes in the physical brain can produce drastic changes in our psyche. When the brain stops, we are gone in the same way a candle flame is gone when the candle is blown out.

Another aspect that we *know* about the brain is that it will 'fill in' missing pieces based on previous beliefs. Even watching a movie shows this (there are always distinct frames that are filled in by the brain). So it isn't surprising that brains under stress will fill in and produce NDEs.

Location hidden

#170487 Jun 30, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but I must.
Some people are actually sane.
Excuse me if I don't agree with your definitions of who is or who ain't. I can't trust your judgment on matters of that sort. You think too artificially and superficially.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#170488 Jun 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!!
No big deal, eh?
Ignorance is bliss.
Have you ever had an NDE? I have. Now, who would you logically suppose is ignorant on the subject....one hint, look in the mirror.

Don't worry about my shape, fortunately for me you'll never know. Even better, I'll never have to look at yours;0)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#170489 Jun 30, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
In Hell, you won't, you dumb shit..
Is that like the monster who lives under your bed? Grow up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Tide with Beach 765,424
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 6 min Dr Wu 603,718
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min truth 555,162
Why Topix is dying 17 min Dr Wu 7
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 19 min andet1987 4,970
I can see why Republicans are often seen as lac... 25 min Doctor REALITY 2
How many hubbies enjoy sloppy seconds from thei... 26 min Dr Wu 6
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 26 min onemale 263,688
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 3 hr BottomNow 1,191

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE