Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 8,161)

Showing posts 163,201 - 163,220 of223,061
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I am perfectly clear.
We are all born with a knowledge of Gods existance.
People have three responses to that knowledge typically.
1. They seek to embrace it.
2. They seek to run from it.
3. They seek to destroy it and deny it.
Atheism is clearly in the third group.
The carnal heart is so contrary to God and so antagonistic towards Him that it will even deny reality to preserve itself.
And this is really what atheism is founded, an attempt to destroy God and His revelation to humanity.
There are two choices the atheist is faced with,(or the anti-theist, which is really the correct term for an atheist).
1. Have the carnal nature destroyed.
2. Destroy God and all knowledge of Him.
The desire to destroy God can be so powerful that the carnal mind and heart will even come to the place where it has so obscured the knowledge of God, that it will self deceive itself to protect itself.
It will deny reality in order to maintain itself.
This can be evidenced very simply by the arbitrary and contradictory belief systems of those that want to destroy God so they can preserve their rebellion and carnal nature.
Poe. Calling it. If it hasn't already been called.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So this humanistic society founded on atheism that you lift up as a paragon of virtue, what went wrong with it in the Soviet Union?
Haven't we tried that experiment before?
Didn't work.
Morality will never change because the human heart is so wicked and selfish.
The only thing that will resolve the human heart and sin issue is total destruction.
Even if God was not going to step in and resolve that, man would do it to himself.
If you think God is the problem, you are mightily deceived, man needs no help to be evil.
Man... your religion makes you sick. It's ok to be human.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>another atheist site pretending to be christian... why do atheist lie...
"Answersingenesis" is an atheist site? Your religion has utterly obliterated your mind.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Our senses are not the basis for ascertaining truth, they are the instruments by which we observe the physical universe in the limited sphere we have.
The problem humanity has, is that it is not logical or reasonable, it has an inbuilt desire to twist reality to fits its own desires of what reality should be like.
So the senses, are only as good as the mind and heart behind them.
This is where atheistic empiricism fails as it does not address this key issue.
Humanity is not rational, humanity is half crazed.
Therefore the senses cannot be relied on, because that which is behind them is untrustworthy and uses them rather than submit to them to preserves its own paradigm.
You're right. Better to put our faith in the mad ramblings of a backwards, bronze age book and the sick, twisted, morally repugnant god that it describes.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Poe. Calling it. If it hasn't already been called.
Do you have a rational response to make, or do you wish to just present this arbitrary response?

Presenting this arbitrary response does not in any way remove the point that has been made...

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Hardy-har-har! I, being anointed by God to do battle against atheists, and other lost in the wilderness morons,like you and thinking,Clownie cannot be insulted. Try as you may, it is against all the laws of physics to insult yours truly. Physically, and mentally stronger than steel, blessed by God with Heavenly knowledge, and wisdom. That gives me unbreakable strength to fight off miniscule, unintelligent, and in reality, out and out stupid morons like yourself & thinking. I have faith in God, the maker of everything, even losers like you (which proves God has a sense of humor). You brainless dip-sticks strengthen my faith, and my resolve. Now, get off your daddy's computer before he comes home and sticks you with his pitchfork.
ya hear
Nope, your imagination to be a pratt is enough insult to yourself, in itself. You need no help there…

What you are is delusional, and it makes you lie, you lie for you god which is quite pathetic considering that your god teaches satan to be the father of lies.

Does this mean you worship satan?

My father does not have a computer (so you lie) and you could not afford the computer system I use even after a lifetime of the kind of work you are capable of.

But feel free to lie for your god if it makes you feel better.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Man... your religion makes you sick. It's ok to be human.
For who?

Who is it ok for?

Don't you see the madness in the world?

Do you live in denial of that?

Christianity accounts and supplies the solution for this madness.

If you truly believe in a pollyanna atheism that does not face reality, then are you not also a part of that madness?

What is your solution for the madness in the world?

What does atheism offer, other than a nihilistic acceptance of the futility of humanity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
When you are in Hell, you will have eternal painful proof. I've written you off as a permanent idiot.
More ineffectual and irrelevant christian threats

Perhaps you should read the topix TOCs, particularly the section on threatening behaviour

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
Previous atheists got proof back in the Old Testament, yet still didn't believe. Why do you think you would if given proof?
Like I said, you really don't want proof because if it were given to you, you would then have to say, "I believe in God!". And we know you really wouldn't want to say that, as evil as you are.
Plus , you asking the question that you know we will never be able to satisfactorily answer to you, gives you temporary ease of mind that you can follow through with your cult of atheism.
You are a bitter coward, through and through, you loser.
The OT and it’s forerunner, the Tanakh are not proof, they are a collection of stories written by bronze age goat herders and escaped slaves

Perhaps you should look up the meaning of the word proof – proof is not belief, contrary to your belief

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You're right. Better to put our faith in the mad ramblings of a backwards, bronze age book and the sick, twisted, morally repugnant god that it describes.
You are aware that this is a logical fallacy don't you?

Assuming that because knowledge is old, it is therefore fallacious?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Our senses are not the basis for ascertaining truth, they are the instruments by which we observe the physical universe in the limited sphere we have.
Yes, they are *part* of the basis for discerning truth. If I claim there is an elephant in my room and you go in there and do not see an elephant, that is sufficient to conclude that my claim is false. That is solely based on the senses.

Of course, another aspect is that we can use our minds to create hypotheses. Most of these hypotheses will not fit the evidence (from the senses!) but a few will. Those we keep and test further. The senses allow us to determine which of our hypotheses are false and thereby eliminate those falsehoods.

General propositions are always somewhat uncertain because new evidence in cases not tested previously might show the proposition to be false. In that case, we need a new hypothesis that covers all of the previously tested cases AND the newly tested case. Once again, the senses are what determines the falsehood of a proposition.
The problem humanity has, is that it is not logical or reasonable, it has an inbuilt desire to twist reality to fits its own desires of what reality should be like.
Incorrect. The fact that individuals can make mistakes, be biased, and have agendas is dealt with by having a variety of people from different backgrounds with different biases and different agendas looking at the evidence independently, often with the *goal* of showing some ideas to be wrong. Those hypotheses that manage to survive this treatment are more reliable than those only tested by one person.
More accurately, humans are sometimes rational, sometimes crazed, sometimes biased, and sometimes objective. The goal of science is to eliminate the biases and craziness and leave the rationality and objectiveness. No system is perfect, but by repeated testing with the goal to show ideas are *wrong*, we can eventually eliminate the falsehoods. What remains is the truth.
Therefore the senses cannot be relied on, because that which is behind them is untrustworthy and uses them rather than submit to them to preserves its own paradigm.
The senses may not be completely reliable (optical illusions alone show that), but they are much better than the arm-chair philosophy that doesn't take into consideration the results of testing through the senses. Checks and balances can minimize the biases and mistakes over time.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but it is reasonable to question whether old ideas in areas that have undergone significant changes over time are still reliable. In particular, the world view of 2000 years ago with different physics for the 'sublunar realm' and the 'heavens' that was based on Platonic and Aristotelian physics is badly out of date. That bring into question anything that is potentially built on such ideas, such as the world view of early Christianity.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Enters Double Fine

To my old friends, followers and disciples. Double Fine is here. Double Fine is back. Bring on the wimmin'!

To those of you who do not know Double Fine, I will offer you this brief intro:

I am the master of disaster,
The man that seems to always go faster.
The King of Kong, The Ding of Dong.
The Sing of Song, The Ping of Pong.
I am the Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla,
I am the shit and the shinola
I make the ladies scream, I make the people dream.
I am the immovable object and the unstoppable force
I am the eternal Dark Horse.

The Guru of Greatness

The Shaman of Sexy

Double Fine

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Double Fine wishes to interject here.

Old knowledge can still hold water. Newton's Theorems are still used today, at university level.

But if the old knowledge provides tales of seas parting, talking snakes and global floods.... Then its fulla shit

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, science is based on the self evident truth that things exist in a universe that adheres to causality.
Empiricism is founded on that as well.
Causality is not required for empiricism. For example, quantum mechanics is a thoroughly empirical science, but is not a causal theory.
The problem with atheistic empiricism, is that if can never justify itself above the experiences of the human mind.
So the human mind and its reasoning become the standard by which empiricism is measured.
Would you agree with that.
That the ultimate standard for your "truths" are your senses?
More accurately, the ultimate standard for falsehood is our senses. We eliminate the falsehoods, require testability, and see what is left.
In other words, you can rise no higher than the reliability and capacity of your senses when it comes to measuring the universe.
Now here is the interesting part, what if there is something higher than your senses in your experience that drives how your senses are used?
What if you have an inbuilt desire to see the world contrary to its reality?
What do you do then?
That is why we require observations to be repeatable by people with different biases and different ideas on how things 'should be'. Anything that doesn't produce *some* observational effect that could be detected in *some* way by *some* observer is irrelevant and not deserving the designation 'truth'.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but it is reasonable to question whether old ideas in areas that have undergone significant changes over time are still reliable. In particular, the world view of 2000 years ago with different physics for the 'sublunar realm' and the 'heavens' that was based on Platonic and Aristotelian physics is badly out of date. That bring into question anything that is potentially built on such ideas, such as the world view of early Christianity.
Poly!! How you been, man?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So... You would chuck the observable proof, in favour of one lunatic rolling on the ground, because "the holy ghost is in him"?

Anyways. Double Fine does not wish to debate. Not with so many lesbians on the thread. Double Fine rather charms them. Ot is a fact of life, all women like Double Fine.

If you want, we can talk about Jesus. What do you think he sounded like? I am betting like a Jewish hippy.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>another atheist site pretending to be christian... why do atheist lie...
"Answers in Genesis" is an atheist site?

BWAAAHAHAHA!

It's a Fundamentalist Christian apologetics ministry, you halfwit!

"Answers in Genesis (AiG) is a non-profit Christian apologetics ministry with a particular focus on supporting young Earth creationism and a literal interpretation of the Book of Genesis." - Wiki.

Or, if you prefer their own webpage: http://www.answersingenesis.org/

"Answers in Genesis is an apologetics (i.e., Christianity-defending) ministry, dedicated to enabling Christians to defend their faith and to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ."

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Poe. Calling it. If it hasn't already been called.
Seconded.

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>"Answersingenesis " is an atheist site? Your religion has utterly obliterated your mind.
Beat me to it - I elaborated a bit.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 163,201 - 163,220 of223,061
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

485 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min atemcowboy 529,736
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min Rosa_Winkel 716,030
to all Bible people. (an ideal family :) 12 min Awesome dr Shrink 3
Brain Fit Life 16 min Gwellness 1
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 25 min Most Holy dr Shrink 1,383
Report: ISIS gets its hands on nuclear material 33 min andet1987 3
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 37 min Most Holy dr Shrink 598,714
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 55 min Charlie Sheen 255,605
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr The Awakener 171,399
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 4 hr Shut-Up 60
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000