Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 243396 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Favorite Adversary

New York, NY

#169773 Jun 23, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
But the ethics of Christianity are derived from the Greek and Roman ethics which were common at the time of the rise of Christianity. So, teaching Christian morality is largely also teaching stoic and neo-platonic morality.
I respect your online personality and your scholarship in the sciences polymath. Your intelligence and candor are top drawer. But here in historical matters regarding Christianity, I have to disagree with you. Ethics of Christianity basically turned Judaic teachings upside down to the consternation of everyone. The standard mindset of the time was of the Old Testament variety and reflected the prejudices of Mosaic Laws.

The Jews of Jesus' day were very much offended by Greco-Roman ethics and practices as is attested in Josephus' two major works 'Jewish Wars', and 'Antiquity of the Jews.'

After the purported resurrection of Jesus, his disciples and followers started turning away from previous behaviors that were deeply ingrained by their Judaic traditions.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#169777 Jun 23, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>
I respect your online personality and your scholarship in the sciences polymath. Your intelligence and candor are top drawer. But here in historical matters regarding Christianity, I have to disagree with you. Ethics of Christianity basically turned Judaic teachings upside down to the consternation of everyone. The standard mindset of the time was of the Old Testament variety and reflected the prejudices of Mosaic Laws.
The Jews of Jesus' day were very much offended by Greco-Roman ethics and practices as is attested in Josephus' two major works 'Jewish Wars', and 'Antiquity of the Jews.'
After the purported resurrection of Jesus, his disciples and followers started turning away from previous behaviors that were deeply ingrained by their Judaic traditions.
Just as today, not many Romans actually lived by the ethical principles they proclaimed. So, while stoicism and neo-platonism had very strong ethical sides that Christianity picked up, the Romans, especially those at the top, did not tend to live by those codes.

It should also be pointed out that, with Paul, there was a definite shift of Christianity away from the Judaic side and towards a more Roman religion. In particular, neo-platonism was a particularly strong influence through the teachings of Philo of Alexandria.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#169778 Jun 23, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
Not getting that proof has made you very angry . Why is that?
Perhaps you are upset that your atheism isn't fulfilling your needs?
Perhaps your faith in atheism has been stricken down with doubt? Or is it you are just a bitter person as I've suspected all along?
No atheist has EVER answered my question: "Why do you want proof of God?"
I want proof of God for exactly the same reason I want proof of the Higg's particle or of dark matter: because proof is what is required for rational belief.
Faith is what Christians rely on to believe in God. Asking a Christian to provide that proof is silliness on your part.
And belief without proof or evidence is irrational. Religious faith is based on the tendency of people not to like to actually think for themselves. As such, it is a dereliction of duty and is wrong. In many cases, it is even evil.
I think the question should be , "why are atheists too weak-willed to rely on faith?"
Because faith is unreliable. That is shown by the simple fact that many have faith in contradictory beliefs. I no more rely on faith for my beliefs than I would a book of fairy tales.

It isn't weakness of will, but strength of character.

Since: Sep 08

Olney Springs, CO

#169779 Jun 23, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I want proof of God for exactly the same reason I want proof of the Higg's particle or of dark matter: because proof is what is required for rational belief.
<quoted text>
And belief without proof or evidence is irrational. Religious faith is based on the tendency of people not to like to actually think for themselves. As such, it is a dereliction of duty and is wrong. In many cases, it is even evil.
<quoted text>
Because faith is unreliable. That is shown by the simple fact that many have faith in contradictory beliefs. I no more rely on faith for my beliefs than I would a book of fairy tales.
It isn't weakness of will, but strength of character.
"Religious faith is based on the tendency of people not to like to actually think for themselves."

So what is your view on scientism?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#169780 Jun 23, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>
The analogy refers to the fact that sheep were the most common farm animal in that culture. Domesticated sheep need a shepherd who will keep them safe from predators. In Jesus' day "predators" were false Messiahs and other cultural leaders who didn't have spiritual concerns.
Sheep were also bred to be docile and eaten, in a horrible slaughter.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#169781 Jun 23, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to lie about everything, don't you? Is it even possible for you to tell the truth?
Provide one lie I have told and the evidence to support your assertion.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#169782 Jun 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"Religious faith is based on the tendency of people not to like to actually think for themselves."
My view is that it's a pejorative term, used by religitards like you.

I wouldn't dignify it with a response on the merits.

I don't suffer fools, Dave.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#169783 Jun 23, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did you give his nonsense credence by posting a response to it?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#169784 Jun 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I've already told you.

There are many questions that science cannot answer that are still interesting and important: do I like tomatoes? which art do I enjoy? What literature is good?

Also, all mathematical questions are outside of the realm of science.

The difference is that science provides knowledge about reality. The first class of questions are matters of opinion and not knowledge. mathematics is knowledge, but it is abstract knowledge, not knowledge about reality.

Olney Springs, CO

#169785 Jun 23, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not enough room in your skin for another one.

Lovely first sentence. Really compliments your "objective" views.

You are getting more subtle in your comedic attempts. Keep it up.

Olney Springs, CO

#169786 Jun 23, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've already told you.
There are many questions that science cannot answer that are still interesting and important: do I like tomatoes? which art do I enjoy? What literature is good?
Also, all mathematical questions are outside of the realm of science.
The difference is that science provides knowledge about reality. The first class of questions are matters of opinion and not knowledge. mathematics is knowledge, but it is abstract knowledge, not knowledge about reality.
You didn't tell me before or now.

Knowing "reality" is a very long ways off. So you stay dumb until then. Which means scientists now are dumb, which means dumb scientists are teaching us "reality" now.

Improve your scientific method. We are running out of time.

Olney Springs, CO

#169787 Jun 23, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did you give his nonsense credence by posting a response to it?
"So what is your view on scientism?"

You consider that a nonsensical question?

Very impressive something or other you have there.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#169788 Jun 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't tell me before or now.
Knowing "reality" is a very long ways off. So you stay dumb until then. Which means scientists now are dumb, which means dumb scientists are teaching us "reality" now.
Improve your scientific method. We are running out of time.
So this provides the perfect example of how lacking in education you are. Your entire concept of reality is what you made up, nothing in it challenges your fears, nothing in it challenges your mind. You have made existence itself meaningless by replacing it with religious superstition instead of attempting to study it, attempting to understand it.
LNC Llin

United States

#169789 Jun 23, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So this provides the perfect example of how lacking in education you are. Your entire concept of reality is what you made up, nothing in it challenges your fears, nothing in it challenges your mind. You have made existence itself meaningless by replacing it with religious superstition instead of attempting to study it, attempting to understand it.
"Reality is a crutch for those who do not use drugs"

For get which movies this is from.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#169790 Jun 23, 2013
LNC Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
"Reality is a crutch for those who do not use drugs"
For get which movies this is from.
I recognize it, but alas I too cannot recall it's origin. It is apt.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#169791 Jun 23, 2013
I first heard it in a Lily Tomlin standup routine, waay back innaday...

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#169792 Jun 23, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
All creationists are bitter liars with no proof of god.
Your genital warts are affecting the way you think.

Olney Springs, CO

#169793 Jun 23, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one reciting from textbooks, sweetness. You don't find much of that in my posts. That means I think and analyze on my own. Try it sometime if you get the urge to break out of your comfort bubble within reality.

Olney Springs, CO

#169794 Jun 23, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
I first heard it in a Lily Tomlin standup routine, waay back innaday...
The proper quote.

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs.
Lily Tomlin"

http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/629.html

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#169795 Jun 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Not enough room in your skin for another one.
Lovely first sentence. Really compliments your "objective" views.
You are getting more subtle in your comedic attempts. Keep it up.
Prove your god or f*ck off its that simple you ignorant creationist troll with no morals.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 min PELE78 854,945
9/11&bin 19 min REV CAROL 1
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 29 min I Am No One_ 444,346
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 46 min 2all 596,373
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 1 hr raj 277
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Justise League 100,751
The Christian Atheist debate 1 hr Mr Wiggley 1,013
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr truth 612,621
More from around the web