Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#169620 Jun 21, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
For natural born fence sitters, yes. Thousands of years worth of complete lack of proof pretty well satisfies me. Otherwise you must completely consider and accept as entirely possible that my toaster flies around the kitchen at night and my invisible pink unicorn is happily grazing grass in my back yard as I type this.
As Wilderide pointed out succinctly, skepticism requires no faith.
It requires faith in the judgment of the skeptic by the skeptic..

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#169621 Jun 21, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
Forgive me for asking, but where is the evidence? I have not seen any evidence so far that can convince me that the God of the Bible exists. Everything I have read feels like a farce. I read Lewis's book Mere Christianity, and to me it felt like something hollow and artificial.
So far, this God figure has not made any attempts at all to show himself to us since the past 2000 years, if indeed he did at all. Why not? If people are in such a need to know he exists, why does he not appear before them? Why need someone else to tell us that God exists?
Precisely. The xtian "we will all know someday" just doesn't do it for me, neither does "God works in mysterious ways." He is omnipotene and loves us. Why does s/he allow cancer, wars, natural disaster then? Is this how we should love our own children?

I have had the same questions. If such a maniacal, contradictory and and unreachable entity did exist....why should I care? Worship him/her/it? Surely they jest.
Siro

Brisbane, Australia

#169622 Jun 21, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
For natural born fence sitters, yes. Thousands of years worth of complete lack of proof pretty well satisfies me. Otherwise you must completely consider and accept as entirely possible that my toaster flies around the kitchen at night and my invisible pink unicorn is happily grazing grass in my back yard as I type this.
As Wilderide pointed out succinctly, skepticism requires no faith.
But you are expecting physical proof of a non physical being, there is cause and effect but you are expecting if not demanding that cause to be purely physical.
You can say that skepticism requires no faith, but the skeptic expects to consistantly find failure (like the moron here who posts under that name)or no physical proof that they themselves can touch, see, hear, taste or feel.
You have marxist 'critical theory' which tries to validate itself as skepticism but cannot be because it seeks to redefine the meanings of effects in order to get the desired negative result.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#169623 Jun 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
People get sensitized and reactive when they are called idiots and names for their beliefs. That is why I react to these Topix atheist idiots. I started out and made a mistake of not calling theists idiots and they jumped on me. They made me do it.
No one has made you do anything Davey boy. This is not the 6th grade playground. Accept responsibility for your own words or get on your knees and pray for your god's guidance. Either way, it's up to YOU.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#169624 Jun 21, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
English isn't his strong point regardless of what screen name he uses.
Critical thinking isn't on his list either.:)
<quoted text>
On the other hand, I think we can put Megalomania and Delusions of Adequacy at the top of the list;0)

Location hidden

#169625 Jun 21, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
No one has made you do anything Davey boy. This is not the 6th grade playground. Accept responsibility for your own words or get on your knees and pray for your god's guidance. Either way, it's up to YOU.
Little girl, you haven't been on here long enough to know Davey boy.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#169626 Jun 21, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
But you are expecting physical proof of a non physical being, there is cause and effect but you are expecting if not demanding that cause to be purely physical.
You can say that skepticism requires no faith, but the skeptic expects to consistantly find failure (like the moron here who posts under that name)or no physical proof that they themselves can touch, see, hear, taste or feel.
You have marxist 'critical theory' which tries to validate itself as skepticism but cannot be because it seeks to redefine the meanings of effects in order to get the desired negative result.
Did not the god of the bible send physical proof in the form of manna from heaven, his only begotton son or the fire of pentecost?

He supposedly gave us the rainbow...but oops! we now know it's a refraction of light and a natural phenomena. Doesn't the bible say that he can touch our hearts? Then why must we have faith?

Don't get me wrong, I was raised in the church, tithed and taught a SS class for 10 years, all on "faith." I studied the bible from cover to cover and finally the contradictions, the supernatural nonsense and the evasive non answers to my questions brought me round. I left the church, a weight seemed to lift from my shoulders and I've never regretted it.

Even the story of doubting Thomas exhorts us to not question, not search too terribly closely or doubt any line that is spoon fed to us.

The final hook is eternal life, very few can turn that one down. If not by factual knowledge, at least by fervent hopes do they cling to that.

You cling to hope and barring a 'divine touch' I'll stick with verifiable facts.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#169627 Jun 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Little girl, you haven't been on here long enough to know Davey boy.
I've been here longer than you have, read your own profile. It's beside each and every post you make Davey boy;0)

Location hidden

#169628 Jun 21, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been here longer than you have, read your own profile. It's beside each and every post you make Davey boy;0)
Really? I've been on this for a while, and the PTAG since Dec 2010. I don't recall seeing your name until recently.

However, I do very much recognize your model of Topix atheist. We will give you a test drive later.

Goodnight. Us old timers need our sleep.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#169629 Jun 21, 2013
People believed for thousands of years that evil spirits caused disease so we can see that belief offers not a shred of proof.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>You are missing something.

Thousands of years and the beliefs are still here. Those people were just as intelligent and logical, maybe more so, than we are today. Must be something evidence wise to span the generations.

Atheism and its beliefs have existed, too. But the percentage has always been negligible. Must be a lack of evidence to support them.

United States

#169630 Jun 21, 2013
Indeed as is the case with most Christholes.:)
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>On the other hand, I think we can put Megalomania and Delusions of Adequacy at the top of the list;0)

United States

#169631 Jun 21, 2013
Check your diaper before you go to bed gramps.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Really? I've been on this for a while, and the PTAG since Dec 2010. I don't recall seeing your name until recently.

However, I do very much recognize your model of Topix atheist. We will give you a test drive later.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#169632 Jun 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I've been on this for a while, and the PTAG since Dec 2010. I don't recall seeing your name until recently.
Apparently, you didn't notice that I started in 07 and that you talk almost twice as much as I do.

I have other things to do besides Topix and I leave a thread occasionally when it fizzles out/the trolls have been thoroughly disproven....they keep on bleating....but who cares;0)

Good night, oldtimer.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#169633 Jun 21, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently, you didn't notice that I started in 07 and that you talk almost twice as much as I do.
I have other things to do besides Topix and I leave a thread occasionally when it fizzles out/the trolls have been thoroughly disproven....they keep on bleating....but who cares;0)
Good night, oldtimer.
If anyone understands you talking , then esp is for real. I'll have to use the keyboard.
Just messing with you. lol Did you hear what I said?
Wait, I'm trying to send you a mental picture,........
phooey n/m it hurts. lmao
Siro

Melbourne, Australia

#169634 Jun 21, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Did not the god of the bible send physical proof in the form of manna from heaven, his only begotton son or the fire of pentecost?
If manna is the visible physical effect then what was the cause?
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
He supposedly gave us the rainbow...but oops! we now know it's a refraction of light and a natural phenomena.
Same from above applies here.
Is nature self created? And how do all the different components work together and how was this arranged?
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>Doesn't the bible say that he can touch our hearts? Then why must we have faith?
He can touch our hearts and on the same level it is your choice whether or not to have faith.
If you choose not to have faith, he can choose not to touch your heart.
Its not all about you....you know.
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get me wrong, I was raised in the church, tithed and taught a SS class for 10 years, all on "faith." I studied the bible from cover to cover and finally the contradictions, the supernatural nonsense and the evasive non answers to my questions brought me round. I left the church, a weight seemed to lift from my shoulders and I've never regretted it.
Even the story of doubting Thomas exhorts us to not question, not search too terribly closely or doubt any line that is spoon fed to us.
The final hook is eternal life, very few can turn that one down. If not by factual knowledge, at least by fervent hopes do they cling to that.
You cling to hope and barring a 'divine touch' I'll stick with verifiable facts.
Sounds like you have a problem with the religion you were in - not God.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#169635 Jun 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are missing something.
Thousands of years and the beliefs are still here. Those people were just as intelligent and logical, maybe more so, than we are today. Must be something evidence wise to span the generations.
Atheism and its beliefs have existed, too. But the percentage has always been negligible. Must be a lack of evidence to support them.
I am impressed how confidently you use appeals to popularity. A similar argument could have been used for spontaneous generation a few hundred years back.

Location hidden

#169636 Jun 22, 2013
Even Aristotle and his contemporaries thought flies came from meat! And here we are, thousands of years later, and everyone still believes it! Must mean *something!*

Location hidden

#169637 Jun 22, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
He supposedly gave us the rainbow...but oops! we now know it's a refraction of light and a natural phenomena. Doesn't the bible say that he can touch our hearts? Then why must we have faith?
I'm impressed you were able to break free after so long. I got out early. When I was in sunday school one day, I decided to ask my teacher if jesus had sinned when he got angry and broke up the money changers market - since anger was a sin. Silence. Granted, a more formidable theological mind could have probably set my mind at ease (he could have told me about the "good anger" of righteous indignation), but that reaction was enough to sow the seeds of doubt early.
Thinking

London, UK

#169638 Jun 22, 2013
What did the badgers do wrong? If you are mental enough to believe the flood story literally, all but two of the badgers got whacked too.
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
I wondered who would come up with that, I just wonder why your god couldn't put a stop to it if he's such a hardball kind of guy.
Alas, you conveniently left out the third example; "as for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves”.

Location hidden

#169639 Jun 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are missing something.
Lying about god will not excuse your bulsh*t.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min June VanDerMark 560,166
Bull and Boar - an 18th century Welsh tavern. 2 min Ed Teach 97
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min It aint necessari... 777,494
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 14 min lovewithin 39,366
a dramatis false eye eook ? reviewing mac’s fal... 16 min mohamed sh 1
Gay snapchat names 42 min lifeofsinx93 165
REAL ENEMIES of America living among us 46 min hpcaban 2
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 48 min hpcaban 441,809
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 50 min YellowPissreality 265,393
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr Atheist girl 605,279
More from around the web