Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#165063 May 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You never realize when you're wrong?
Huh...
Way to go, freethinker.
Says the retarded creationist with no proof of god who denies fossils.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#165064 May 7, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
:))
I would blast some acdc highway to hell just to mess with them.
<quoted text>
I would do the Megamind entrance with the brainbots. ;)

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#165065 May 7, 2013
Good call! Maybe leave a bag of flaming dog poo at the pearly gates :)
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>I would do the Megamind entrance with the brainbots. ;)
Organised Religion _ EVIL

London, UK

#165066 May 7, 2013
Thread title = TRUE. There is no such thing as 100% certainty/absolutism in science its merely a degree of statical probability.
Think about dropping a ball to the ground ( on the surface of our planet for those 'ONES')? what would you expect to happen? What is the probability that you expect it to happen? in layman's terms we describe such a circumstance as a FACT - in science they only exist in theory. Its a fact the ball will fall to the ground - will it fall to the ground EVERY SINGLE time ? How many time have U dropped a ball to the ground - and it of course has always fallen to the ground. But is that really enough time to be 100% CERTAIN ? I know you think they've already dome a test where a ball was machine dropped to the ground endlessly + w/o fail it fell to the ground. Is a few years enough its 100% CERTAIN though. How long will the machine keep working even with repair, how long with the ball last given the relentless endless stress on it.Is it still a fair test scientifically if you change the ball or machine? What is the ultimate time length to see every possible ball drop ...... its INFINITY - something that is only achievable in THEORY - the land masses seem to have always moved over the planet surface regardless weather over long enough periods can change the environment completely eventually the mountains are all eroded away - you are going to end up in an ocean if you don't move the experiment. Next problem might be the Earth's finite life.Eventually we get to the life of the universe/existence currently we dont know what it does - if it goes on for infinity - so no end + no exp result. If its an endless cycle of expansion/collapse then at some point there will be no existence at which point we cant get the experiment result, have an awareness of it again no result. So its assumption the ball will always fall to the ground but theoretically it is a fact and for the practical purpose of dropping a ball in an environment we have a full (but not meaning complete) understanding scientific methodwise.
The point when its something we have little info/experments on like a possible afterlife (however scientifically death is a finite end to conciousness/detection of existence. HOWEVER it would be conceited scientifically to assume things when our collected knowledge in minuscule cf the universe - there could be endless stuff we are completely unaware of or that may not be detectable from the limits of our senses (as there is already)There's no concrete evidence that's anyone has "returned" - it what's called a negative assertion + these are notoriously more difficult to prove than positive assertions. If you had experience knowledge of schizophrenia etc - how the mind going wrong and reality interpretation can be fluidly manipulated to an infinity of possibilities - you would never really bother/be convinced with UFO spotting, paranormal (endless explanations, being manipulated by someone with exceptional psychological skills, Possessions - people with multiple personality disorder are the BLATANT explanation for that through history).AND how exactly can you scientifically define a god in order to verify his/its existence. my idea of god is something like the collective human spirit/conciousness or is it a guy on a throne with a grey beard?, psychologies current understanding of a type of reincarnation is that we all impress what science doesn't understand - what's the difference between spirit,personality + soul? Can you describe in a away to satisfy the scientific method?As we go through life we impress our spirit onto people we interact with the more close the relationship the more.Someone you had an intense romantic relationship with long past when it finishes, you may experience that persons closeness/presence (even if they had died)- you've taken a lot of their spirit into your own + them yours . Parent to child being the most strongest of human interactions
Organised Religion _ EVIL

London, UK

#165067 May 7, 2013
pt 1

Thread title = TRUE. There is no such thing as 100% certainty/absolutism in science its merely a degree of statical probability.
Think about dropping a ball to the ground ( on the surface of our planet for those 'ONES')? what would you expect to happen? What is the probability that you expect it to happen? in layman's terms we describe such a circumstance as a FACT - in science they only exist in theory. Its a fact the ball will fall to the ground - will it fall to the ground EVERY SINGLE time ? How many time have U dropped a ball to the ground - and it of course has always fallen to the ground. But is that really enough time to be 100% CERTAIN ? I know you think they've already dome a test where a ball was machine dropped to the ground endlessly + w/o fail it fell to the ground. Is a few years enough its 100% CERTAIN though. How long will the machine keep working even with repair, how long with the ball last given the relentless endless stress on it.Is it still a fair test scientifically if you change the ball or machine? What is the ultimate time length to see every possible ball drop ...... its INFINITY - something that is only achievable in THEORY - the land masses seem to have always moved over the planet surface regardless weather over long enough periods can change the environment completely eventually the mountains are all eroded away - you are going to end up in an ocean if you don't move the experiment. Next problem might be the Earth's finite life.Eventually we get to the life of the universe/existence currently we dont know what it does - if it goes on for infinity - so no end + no exp result. If its an endless cycle of expansion/collapse then at some point there will be no existence at which point we cant get the experiment result, have an awareness of it again no result. So its assumption the ball will always fall to the ground but theoretically it is a fact and for the practical purpose of dropping a ball in an environment we have a full (but not meaning complete) understanding scientific methodwise.
The point when its something we have little info/experments on like a possible afterlife (however scientifically death is a finite end to conciousness/detection of existence. HOWEVER it would be conceited scientifically to assume things when our collected knowledge in minuscule cf the universe - there could be endless stuff we are completely unaware of or that may not be detectable from the limits of our senses (as there is already)There's no concrete evidence that's anyone has "returned" - it what's called a negative assertion + these are notoriously more difficult to prove than positive assertions. If you had experience knowledge of schizophrenia etc - how the mind going wrong and reality interpretation can be fluidly manipulated to an infinity of possibilities - you would never really bother/be convinced with UFO spotting, paranormal (endless explanations, being manipulated by someone with exceptional psychological skills, Possessions - people with multiple personality disorder are the BLATANT explanation for that through history).AND how exactly can you scientifically define a god in order to verify his/its existence. my idea of god is something like the collective human spirit/conciousness or is it a guy on a throne with a grey beard?, psychologies current understanding of a type of reincarnation is that we all impress what science doesn't understand - what's the difference between spirit,personality + soul? Can you describe in a away to satisfy the scientific method?As we go through life we impress our spirit onto people we interact with the more close the relationship the more.Someone you had an intense romantic relationship with long past when it finishes, you may experience that persons closeness/presence (even if they had died)- you've taken a lot of their spirit into your own + them yours . Parent to child being the most strongest of human interactions
Thinking

Sidmouth, UK

#165069 May 7, 2013
Religion is extremely political.
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
POLITICS USING RELIGION CARD!!!!! GREEDY B*ST*RDS AGAIN!!!
U honestly telling me the people involved in the above, were truly religious people? R u really gonna compare them to saints??? REALLY??
SPIRITUAL PEOPLE HAVE NO FLAMIN' GREED!!!
Thinking

Sidmouth, UK

#165070 May 7, 2013
My friend's spaniel ate my wife's pills out of here handbag once. We expected him to grow breasts or something but luckily he was fine.
Givemeliberty wrote:
Was it your birth control pills?:)
<quoted text>
Thinking

Sidmouth, UK

#165071 May 7, 2013
her handbag (typo)

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#165072 May 7, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy Lesbo.
My heart is a lonely hunter.
Maybe it's your bright silk bloomers...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#165073 May 7, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Finish those ditches early today?

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why do you denigrate your sisters like that?
Givemeliberty wrote:
That makes no sense
Only to you....

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#165074 May 7, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the retarded creationist with no proof of god who denies fossils.
Says the retarded atheist that claims I deny fossils.

WTF O_o

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#165075 May 7, 2013
Divine Alien wrote:
When we leave this world, we are going back to God himself.
Well said!

Location hidden

#165076 May 7, 2013
You must have something to have faith is. What is it that Atheism would have to have faith in?

Location hidden

#165077 May 7, 2013
LiddySays wrote:
There is no possible way for any of us to know how we ended up here. Religion is full of fairy tales, science is full of theories... So, in my opinion, it is futile to argue about it. Let people believe what they want if that's what makes them feel a little better about dying... Because that's what it all comes down to in the end. DEATH! The unknown! Do we continue on? Or is it really the end?! The only one's who know the answer are not here to give it to us. But in my opinion, if there were nothing after life, then life itself is meaningless. And there is a reason for everything. IDK, if this came out the way I intended(I'm half drunk)=) But if you can find any living thing on this planet that does not have a purpose, then my theory is debunked!
That's a well thought out post, and raises good questions.

Location hidden

#165078 May 7, 2013
discocrisco wrote:
Maybe, the Christians got it right on the God thing. What they didn't know that is there is intelligent life right and God manifested himself in another way than us.
And there is millions of our civilizations among this universe and millions of ways God revealed himslf to them
But see it was none of business to know how he did it. It is beyond our feeble little minds. Us humans think we are terminally unique. Guess what. We are not. We are little specks in the infinite, large cosmos.
This too is a well thought out post. You make many good points.
Thinking

Bury, UK

#165079 May 7, 2013
My belief: the scientific method generates more good outcomes than religion ever could.
Chaumette wrote:
You must have something to have faith is. What is it that Atheism would have to have faith in?
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#165080 May 7, 2013
Chaumette wrote:
If you are sane, you place your trust in beliefs which have good evidence. Such as science, and the natural world, in history based on scholarly and reliable sources. Bascially in reality. In facts.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#165081 May 7, 2013
Chaumette wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a well thought out post, and raises good questions.
Thanks, Chiapett.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#165083 May 7, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe it's your bright silk bloomers...
So you think I should take them off?

“There is no god!”

Södertälje, Sweden

#165084 May 7, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
:))
I would blast some acdc highway to hell just to mess with them.
<quoted text>
i would play Marilyn Manson - Holy Wood Album

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Al Garcia 777,996
Young People In North Carolina Need A Reality C... 6 min Truthspeaks19 3
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 min Rosa_Winkel 96,848
Last Word + 2 7 min Pigs 994
PROOF that Satan is REAL: Homosexuals 10 min mom 2
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 23 min guest 560,404
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 23 min Kid_Tomorrow 1,295
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 24 min Lord Righteous Judge 441,818
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr lil whispers 605,320
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr Aura Mytha 265,422
More from around the web