Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 245061 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#164618 Apr 29, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry that is out of my area of expertise also.
I understand that man has been traced back to one common ancestor, but it is a bit complicated for me. I did though see an interesting article yesterday (perhaps someone here linked it - can't recall) which showed how primates have 24 pairs of chromosomes while man has only 23 pairs. It was theorized that one pair must have fused so that there were only 23 left when the evolution went to man, so they looked for chromosomes that could possibly be a fused chrome and they found that pair # 2 in man is a combination of two, which is determined by it having certain marks which are seen at each end of a chromosome and in the centre of each chromosome, and they found #2 had the end marks in the middle with two of the centre chromosomes, one between one end and the centre and one at the other half, which verified that it had been two chromosomes that had linked.
I find that amazing and still don't understand how man can now identify people not by chromosomes but by their DNA. Computers can even find one person in a whole catalog of people's known DNA maps. I need to study on how that is done.
http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/licweb/dna...

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#164619 Apr 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"hence he is an entity"
What kind of entity is God?
Imaginary.
Thinking

London, UK

#164620 Apr 29, 2013
As in the square root of minus f**k all?
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Imaginary.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#164621 Apr 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll end up with dirt in your eyes and tumbleweed up your ass.
And hey, nano lives in Texas, you'll be closer to your new girlfriend.
Just holler and I'll come over and help you pack.
Naw. RR hires a moving company for that.

One that doesn't use illegals.

The Borderland of Sol

#164622 Apr 29, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Mathematically indispensible, if you refer to *root*-1 (iota).

You can at least count without saying "twenty-ten", though, right?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#164623 Apr 29, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
funk?
Thinking

London, UK

#164624 Apr 29, 2013
Indispensable it is indeed...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_unit
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Mathematically indispensible, if you refer to *root*-1 (iota).
You can at least count without saying "twenty-ten", though, right?

The Borderland of Sol

#164626 Apr 29, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Indispensable it is indeed...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_unit
<quoted text>
*sigh*

The most annoying thing about debating fundies, is that they don't know the first effin' thing about their bible.

Or about science.

Or about debate.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#164627 Apr 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Naw. RR hires a moving company for that.
One that doesn't use illegals.
They won't be "illegals" much longer.

The one thing that will be enacted this Congressional session (and maybe the only thing, in the dysfunctional state of our federal government) is an immigration reform bill.

And it will be a bipartisan bill.

Comprendes o no, pendejo?
Thinking

London, UK

#164628 Apr 29, 2013
Did we really just get down iconed for discussing imaginary numbers?

F**k me those fundies are dumb!
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>*sigh*
The most annoying thing about debating fundies, is that they don't know the first effin' thing about their bible.
Or about science.
Or about debate.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#164629 Apr 29, 2013
Dig any ditches today or were you unloading trucks?

If you are unable to formulate that he is a being in your book of holy myths then it is obvious you have never read the bible.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>"hence he is an entity"

What kind of entity is God?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#164630 Apr 29, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>*sigh*
Or about science.
Or about debate.
Yet we continue to try to get them to show some intelligence. Perhaps we are the ones who are being foolish; they can't help it.:)

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#164631 Apr 29, 2013
These Christholes are allergic to reality.
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Did we really just get down iconed for discussing imaginary numbers?

The Borderland of Sol

#164632 Apr 29, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Did we really just get down iconed for discussing imaginary numbers?
<quoted text>
I don't even see those any more.

But yes, they are.

The Borderland of Sol

#164633 Apr 29, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet we continue to try to get them to show some intelligence. Perhaps we are the ones who are being foolish; they can't help it.:)
I know. It's like bangin' yer head against a brick wall - not much fun while yer doin' it, but it's lovely when you leave off.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#164634 Apr 29, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I know. It's like bangin' yer head against a brick wall - not much fun while yer doin' it, but it's lovely when you leave off.
Reminds me of a dream I had just before waking yesterday at around 7 am. I dreamed that a person was sitting on some snow on top of a vehicle when the snow collapsed and he fell backwards to the ground scraping his head on the concrete wall of the house. When I checked him his head had the whole back of it removed by the concrete and he was dead. In the process of resolving that situation the head also was detached from the body. I then woke up facing the window, and there was just enough light coming in that the first thing I saw on a dresser under the window was what looked like a severed head, but turned out to be a wig on a stand. It took me only a second to realize what had happened, but it was initially quite a shock.:)

I suppose some would say that God did it.:)

I think that is the first time that I can recall a dream actually having an immediate coincidence like that after awaking.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#164635 Apr 29, 2013
Where is Dave Nelson?

“THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD;”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#164636 Apr 29, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Isaac Asimov wrote, "Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." Many of the regular posters on this forum have seen the truth of this firsthand and were, in fact, firm believers until, out of devotion, the made the mistake of reading the Bible in its entirety. I had to read it three times before I finally accepted that any religion based on this book was essentially insane, such was the pressure from family, friends, and mentors to believe as they did.
Im assuming the supposed contradiction lead you that way?

Well if one reads a ''book'' that says they are a God, then one could read a ''book'' that says they aint a God. All depends on what you are looking for. Me personaly wasnt looking in or reading a book to find God, he found me and i answerd his calling.
For some time, I figured that, while the Bible was false, God was real. I meditated with my Quaker friends and eventually found a spiritual home in the Baha'i Faith, which is based on books of astounding beauty and a wonderfully consistent ethos. But after a while, I saw gaping holes in that as well. I sought, sought long and hard with more vigor than most believers could muster, to no avail.
Now I am content to live as a useful member of the most intelligent species on earth, but still as a member of the animal kingdom. I need nothing more.
But I understand why others do, which is why I am a quiet atheist. As I am content where I am, so are others in very different places. Let them stay there as long as they do no harm.
As long as they do no harm.
So is God still real to you?

Thanks for sharing, and i as you say.

My Faith has also found its resting spot as well, content and unmoveable..

“THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD;”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#164637 Apr 29, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The geological time scale is something that was deduced from the evidence. In particular, that many processes take millions of years was well-established before Darwin wrote any of his books. It is also supported by radiometric dating (NOT carbon dating---carbon dating only works for things less than about 100,000 years old--very young for geological processes).
The geological time scale informs us of how long various stages of evolution took, but it is not dependent on the evidence of evolution, nor is the evidence for evolution directly dependent on the geological time scale. The two *do* inform each other, though.
I should also point out that the geological time scale, which involves actual dates and times is different than the geologic column, which tells the *order* of events, but does not give the timing of those events. So, we can look at various human ancestors and know the order of their appearance even in the cases where we do not have good dates for the different species. The geologic column was well-established long before the dates of the events in that column were figured out.
So more or less they use fossils to date rocks, and rocks to date fossils?

And if they date the rocks by the fossils, how can they then turn around and talk about the patterns of evolutionary change through time in the fossil record?

I was reading an artical on this, and that was a question it asked.

Just curious to hear someones input on it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#164638 Apr 29, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Dig any ditches today or were you unloading trucks?
If you are unable to formulate that he is a being in your book of holy myths then it is obvious you have never read the bible.
<quoted text>
That's a cheap way of saying you can't answer the question.

I accept your defeat.

Hand over your welfare check.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
50% rescue withdraw bonus - 5stars forex 1 min 5Stars Forex 1
Is the problem of groping in India over exagger... (Jan '11) 1 min ashuashu 487
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 min Darwins Stepchild 865,642
The Christian Atheist debate 4 min ChristineM 2,039
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 9 min cute94 465
Native American lives MATTER 28 min Poov 2
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 33 min Pegasus 272,425
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr RoSesz 600,085
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 9 hr Victoria Bologna 7,504
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 9 hr andy 45
More from around the web