Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
157,901 - 157,920 of 224,618 Comments Last updated 36 min ago

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a swell curtsy double r
But I would suggest the next time you put the curtsies out for us to see, put the yellow side to the front instead of the Brown side!
This is redneck underwear rule #1, you should know better. ;)
I knowed I's foregettin sumpin!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but you completely ignored this:
But I don't have complete trust that there is no god. I don't have complete trust that there are no leprechauns.
Just because I have seen equal evidence for both, I does not mean that I know that they don't exist.
and this:
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Once you catch up, I will gladly provide the evidence for my last statement.
Oh, I'm sorry. Am I required to respond to each and every sentence?

You made a statement about your faith in leprechauns and God and what you have faith in. You want me to argue YOUR faith?

O_o

Why did you post a link to a page?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's revisit your book shall we?
When debating the "truth" of the Bible, what usually gets lost in the shuffle is a very important consideration.
Just what all is in this hotly debated Bible?
A good question is: Who would want to defend this book in the first place?
It sounds so homey and sweet, and you can imagine Dad smoking a pipe, seated next to the fireplace, while his adoring wife and children listen to him read from the Good Book.
But there's a problem with this cozy, homespun image. Dad's going to have to do a hell of a lot of speedy, judicious editing as he reads.
The Bible is presented as the ultimate guide to moral principles, high standards and ethical living.
That book is everywhere, at least in the USA. You can't turn on the TV or radio or pick up a newspaper or magazine, or look in the window of a bookstore, let alone walk into one, or open a book catalogue, without being bombarded with the word "Bible."
The so-called History Channel is now featuring shows about David and Goliath and Noah's Ark, and it presents these biblical yarns as history.
Even the Discovery Channel is bending to the pressure. So, as long as society is flinging the Bible at us, and our politicians are quoting from it relentlessly, and Christians smugly and conspicuously carry the book with them everywhere, and Televangelists wave it dramatically, declaring it to be the "world's best-selling book for a reason,"
It may be the world's best seller, but not one in a thousand knows what's really in it you included.
Behold, with a great plague will the LORD smite thy people, and thy children, and thy wives, and all thy goods. And thou shalt have great sickness by disease of thy bowels, until thy bowels fall out.--2 Chronicles 21:14
Too much Ex-Lax?
I don't know where you're going with this.

Are you upset that the bible is everywhere?

Are you upset that the History Channel and Discovery Channel are displaying the Bible as history?(which it is)

What?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh, I'm sorry. Am I required to respond to each and every sentence?
You get what you give.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You made a statement about your faith in leprechauns and God and what you have faith in.
Interesting. I don't remember saying that I had complete trust, i.e. faith, that leprechauns or a god, do or do not exist. In fact, I am quite sure that I said the exact opposite.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You want me to argue YOUR faith?
O_o
No thanks! If anyone is going to argue for me, I would like to be someone with more intellect than you. Maybe someone who can read words as they are written, not what they want.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why did you post a link to a page?
When I clicked on the link, it took me straight to my post. Must be something wrong on your end. I'll copy the post to here, just for you.

Cherry pickin' again! Try reading the entire thought, not just one verse.

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you,***Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.***

19 ****Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven:**** but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why do you think all laws are permanent, forever and to everyone?

Well, if you believe in Jesus and God, yes.

RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm sure you know about the "eating pork is bad" law. And I'm sure you've used it on people. But do you know that in Acts, God showed the Apostle that all animals were now clean?

If you believe a hungry Peter over God and Jesus, "The next day, as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the housetop about the sixth hour to pray. And he became hungry and wanted something to eat, but while they were preparing it, he fell into a trance and saw the heavens opened and something like a great sheet descending, being let down by its four corners upon the earth. In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air. And there came a voice to him:“Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” "

Then, no.

If you do not believe in the bible, you can easily see that people wrote things into it so that they could do what they wanted and restrict others from doing what they wanted.

It would have been more convincing had all the laws been in one place, never changed and included a law against pedophilia.
Imhotep

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I knowed I's foregettin sumpin!
Sho nuf
Ain't no thing ;)
Jeejet? I'm fixin ta swallow up some good diner food
Ham and eggs and grits y'all
Imhotep

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know where you're going with this.
Are you upset that the bible is everywhere?
Are you upset that the History Channel and Discovery Channel are displaying the Bible as history?(which it is)
What?
No I love it Gideon's is free!
it's free firewood,
Even larger with Book of Mormon
Makes a good doorstop too
Even has a use out when nothing else is available
For outhouse

I like to distribute them to temples and mosques
I try to do my part for your little boy

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.", says Einstein.

God created man, man screwed up so bad, god killed them all, save eight, so that man could try again. As I understand, Jesus is going to come back, fight evil, lock Satan in the endless pit for 1,000 years, then start the whole process over again.

Your god is insane!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Another brilliant comment from a christian!

"Satan was once a powerful angel of God. When God created earth and man, Satan became jealous and took some angels with him to oppose God's plan. Thus, the Spiritual World is at war. God has a plan and Satan is trying to destroy it. Satan actually acts like God to fool people. The truth is in the Bible which Satan tries to twist. Satan's plan is to not be obvious because people would flock to God."

This guy is scary!!
Imhotep

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
Another brilliant comment from a christian!
"Satan was once a powerful angel of God. When God created earth and man, Satan became jealous and took some angels with him to oppose God's plan. Thus, the Spiritual World is at war. God has a plan and Satan is trying to destroy it. Satan actually acts like God to fool people. The truth is in the Bible which Satan tries to twist. Satan's plan is to not be obvious because people would flock to God."
This guy is scary!!
Scary no hilarious absolutely

This is no different than Batman versus the Joker
Superman versus Lex Luthor

This God would serve no purpose without that alter ego

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Scary no hilarious absolutely
This is no different than Batman versus the Joker
Superman versus Lex Luthor
This God would serve no purpose without that alter ego
He is the same guy who wrote this, "In simple terms, if God orders a killing, it is the will of God and okay. However, confirmation must be made it was truly God."

He is just one step away from helping his god rid the Earth of evil people!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
Interesting. I don't remember saying that I had complete trust, i.e. faith, that leprechauns or a god, do or do not exist. In fact, I am quite sure that I said the exact opposite.
Interesting indeed.... You wrote:

"But I don't have complete trust that there is no god. I don't have complete trust that there are no leprechauns.
Just because I have seen equal evidence for both, I does not mean that I know that they don't exist."

Which is a statement of your faith. I didn't say anything about what your faith is, just that you posted a statement about it.

I don't understand, what is it you want me to debate you about when you post aboput your own faith about God and leprechauns?

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>I think he wants proof that those leprechauns exist, so he can explain the strange sounds around in his basement. Take your time, I suspect that he will require proof that unicorns exist too.
There's about as much evidence of the existence of a supreme omniscient being as there is for leprechauns and unicorns.

“THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD;”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously, I wanted to know if you felt the same way.
Well wasnt sure the context of the question, and where it was directed to... OT, yes God commanded killings by men of many people.
Isn't the Holy Spirit, God?
Yes.
Want would it take to convince you?
Its a simple distinction between feeling good or bad about not doing what God asked me to do. His sheep know his voice, i would know if God asked this of me and if i felt the strong urge to do it..
God has not asked you to kill; he has demanded that you kill.
<quoted text>
What did Jesus say about God's laws? Didn't he say that not one dot shall be removed from the law until heaven and Earth pass away?
How do you justify ignoring God and Jesus?
Where has God asked or demenaded Christians to kill in the NT?

Thats easy to descern for most.

You like many others, are trying to apply the OT with the NT..

The context here is that this was towards the beginning of Jesus' ministry; Jesus was now ready to give more detailed teaching to His disciples, many of whom would be instrumental in laying the foundations of the Church. Jesus wanted to ensure that the disciples correctly understood that the Old Testament still held a valid place in the Scriptures..

Matthew 5;18
For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

The preceding verses were so opposed to the teachings of the scribes and Pharisees that some might assert that he was a destroyer of the law. He replies that he has not come to destroy it, but to fulfil. He does not say that he has come to perpetuate it. To fulfil. To complete its purpose. He was the end of the law. It was a "schoolmaster to bring us to Christ" (Gal. 3:24), but "after faith is come we are no longer under the schoolmaster."
Expert in all Things

Redding, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
There's about as much evidence of the existence of a supreme omniscient being as there is for leprechauns and unicorns.
Really? So how many manuscripts or historical documents have been found on your leprechauns and unicorns?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually that's your problem, Allah willing you shall see 'the truth'(Unmasked sarcasm) ;)
Peace on earth?
Not as long as organized religion exists.
Thou art big on thy Bible...
The four angels were loosed to slay the third part of men.--Revelation 9:15
What color wings did they have? do you know
Mail angels or female angels?
Where they gay angels?
I have questions. ;)
And very foolish ones at that..

Elmont, Long Island NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>Then go find you a leprechaun or unicorn, or perhaps you can find at least one of those millions of alleged black holes in our singular universe. Don't you think if you found a black hole you might find those leprechauns and unicorns?
I haven't made any claims that leprechauns or unicorns exist, ergo there is no need for me to find them.

Black holes have been observed, their existence is a fact...something your god lacks...physical evidence of its existence

Elmont, Long Island NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Expert in all Things wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? So how many manuscripts or historical documents have been found on your leprechauns and unicorns?
there are plenty of manuscripts about leprechauns and unicorns...and yet they are mythological beings just like your god

how many manuscripts and historical documents were written about Jesus when he supposedly lived?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't made any claims that leprechauns or unicorns exist, ergo there is no need for me to find them.
Black holes have been observed, their existence is a fact...something your god lacks...physical evidence of its existence
Black holes have never been observed, only their supposed effects.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
RUBBISH
Know GOD?
"Know" nothing.
No GOD?
No Problem
Your problem is simply RELIGION
Nope not in the least,, that is ''your'' problem! I have salvation through the Grace of God by his Son Jesus Christ. I dont have to depend on or do good works and dress a certain way or pay enough tiths to recieve Eternal life. JESUS done the only thing i needed to have Eternal life. Organized religion was rejected by Jesus, thats why he came was to abolish the OT religious acts..
The Christian view that all intercourse outside marriage is immoral was based upon the view that all sexual intercourse, even within marriage, is regrettable.
your opinion.
A view of this sort, which goes against biological facts, can only be regarded by some people as a morbid aberration. The fact that it is embedded in Christian ethics has made Christianity throughout its whole history a force tending towards mental disorders and unwholesome views of life.
The Church had devastating impact upon society. As the Church assumed leadership, activity in the fields of medicine, technology, science, education, history, art and commerce all but collapsed.
I disagree totaly. Its the unethical laws of man and the sinful nature in them that has destroyed society.. Hmm i hear from other athiest and sciency people, that science is booming and the church is fadeing away..
Technology disappeared and the Church became the most cohesive power in Western society. The extensive aqueduct and plumbing systems vanished.
lol, really you going to blame that on Christianity/God??
Orthodox Christians taught that all aspects of the flesh should be reviled and therefore discouraged washing as much as possible.
Toilets and indoor plumbing disappeared. Disease became commonplace as sanitation and hygiene deteriorated. For hundreds of years, towns and villages were decimated by epidemics.
Europe entered the Dark Ages. NUFF SAID!
Toilets and plumbing disappeard??? Dude you are wacked, u a piece of bologna shy of a sammi..

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually that's your problem, Allah willing you shall see 'the truth'(Unmasked sarcasm) ;)
allah,, huh... The difference in Christians and muslims, is if a Christian were to attempt to convert an unbeliever and they reject, well a Christian would just walk away. On the other hand a muslim may kill you!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

393 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 8 min shyam 4,912
Sudi Arabia Scientists Spreading deadly Ebola v... 14 min Anonymous 5
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 28 min dirty white boy- 722,136
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 34 min Nice_girl 434
00971569470225 Body to body massage in Abudhabi 34 min Nancy 0563308466 20
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 41 min KIpetesayKEGOut 115,609
Emmasturbate ...okay so what does this word mea... (May '13) 1 hr Vendzilla 148
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr Commander Bunny 256,963
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr guest 533,566