Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#163853 Apr 22, 2013
One devestating fact for Christianity is that in Paul's volume of work he is ignorant of life of Jesus, the virgin birth, miracles, the lord's prayer, the sermon on the mount, exorcisms, parables, etc. The likelihood is that the gospel accounts were written decades after the events they purport to describe, and are largely if not totally fictional. According to his letters, Paul knew the apostles, and was living close to the events of the life of Jesus. His ignorance of the gospels is very telling, and exposes the fairy tale nature of the rise of religion.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#163854 Apr 22, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Unfortunate for the fakers, Gods knows the heart. The insincere cant get over. And yes I know what a strawman is, maybe you should review our exchanges and see where you used a favorite topix atheist tactic. Here ill help you, To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and to refute it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.[3][4] This technique has been used throughout history in polemical debate, particularly in arguments about highly charged, emotional issues.
No, you don't know what a straw man is, just reciting the definition does not mean you know how to use the term at all. If you did, you'd know why all your heroes are wrong.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#163855 Apr 22, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> We hate crowds. The less off you and your ilk in heaven the more for us.
Ah, so you ascribe to the selfish and greedy god.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#163856 Apr 22, 2013
Also bongo believes heaven to be resource constrained!
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, so you ascribe to the selfish and greedy god.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#163857 Apr 22, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Also bongo believes heaven to be resource constrained!
<quoted text>
So much wrong with such a notion too, for one, that's not a very powerful god he worships if there is not enough for everyone. Also, how does it last forever if there are limits?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#163858 Apr 22, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> We hate crowds. The less off you and your ilk in heaven the more for us.
It's your hallucination, if you don't care about atheists, why are you even here in this forum?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#163859 Apr 22, 2013
Heaven must be overrun with whining believers!

Now that would make an interesting movie! Lol!
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Also bongo believes heaven to be resource constrained!

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#163860 Apr 22, 2013
Bongo wrote:
LOL
So, you get more of nothing.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#163861 Apr 22, 2013
Rationing!
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So much wrong with such a notion too, for one, that's not a very powerful god he worships if there is not enough for everyone. Also, how does it last forever if there are limits?
Libertarian

UK

#163862 Apr 22, 2013
Atheism reqiures no faith whatsoever.

do you even know what atheism is?

We may trust science but we have absolutely no need for faith.

Faith = belief without proof
We have proof of our beliefs(called evidence) so we don't faith.
The things that require faith we don't believe.
If you have proof of your god then you too will no longer have or need faith.

We don't believe there is no God as you cannot prove a negative. We simply lack the faith you have that one exists.

Please educate yourselves (on something other than your bible- although some could do with that too) before attacking others, your god wouldnt like that would he?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#163863 Apr 22, 2013
Expert in all Things wrote:
<quoted text> Great, thanks for providing a mostly rational response.
Now my question was which one do you hold to?
Well, like I said, the 'Devine' and the 'instantaneous' can be eliminated quickly. The Steady State theory doesn't account for the cosmic background radiation and the Oscillating universe is counter-indicated by the fact that the expansion of our universe is accelerating, not decelerating.

Of the three remaining (Big Bang, Big Bounce, and Multiverse), the evidence simply isn't in to distinguish between these options. Since the basic Big Bang scenario doesn't include quantum mechanics and we *know* QM will be relevant for the very early universe, I would bet that the Big Bang is not the whole story.

Of the other two, the Multiverse is implied by String theory and the Big Bounce by Loop Quantum Gravity. Both have appeal, but without a tested version of quantum gravity, it is best to wait until the evidence is in. The multiverse scenario allows for more speculation, but the Big Bounce has more internal symmetry.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#163864 Apr 22, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Divine theory with a floating crucifix?
Don't bother watching the video people you will be wasting your time.
<quoted text>
With a misspelling of 'devine'. Whatever source the makers of the video used, it was at least 20 years out of date on the scientific side.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#163865 Apr 22, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>I do not comprehend your word salad. Your psychobabble is indicative of a severe underlying syndrome whitin typical topix atheist prevaricators.
"Rest" should be "test".

That clear it up for you?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#163866 Apr 22, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
There is this great documentary on Netflix called Kumare. He actually as a gag creates a fake religion just to see if people will bite.

They do! Even calling him a savior and angelic being!

It's shocking how easily he does it! Many of his so called prophecies and spiritual statements are thinly veiled jokes mocking religion and some are just nonsense but guess what?

Believers line up ready to follow him!

Hunt it up people it shows the mindset of believers.
And they even choose to believe in him after he's exposed the whole farce.

People just WANT to believe.
Bongo

Bayport, NY

#163867 Apr 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you don't know what a straw man is, just reciting the definition does not mean you know how to use the term at all. If you did, you'd know why all your heroes are wrong.
Darling, this response is a strrawman, are you in denial?
youtube

AOL

#163868 Apr 22, 2013

100% PROOF Pope Francis is ANTICHRIST______

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#163869 Apr 22, 2013
No it does not.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#163870 Apr 22, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you just don't even know the basic ideas for a discussion of this topic. Even if space is finite, it would not have an edge. A very simple mathematical example of this is the sphere in four dimensions: no matter which direction you go, you will eventually complete a circle and return to the starting point. Now, this is an example of a positively curved space, bu tit is possible for a similar thing to happen in a flat space (zero curvature).
<quoted text>
Wrong. No boundaries, but still finite is a possibility. The evidence at this point doesn't suggest this possibility, but it allows it.
However if you have a sphere which you described you still have whatever is outside of that sphere? Is that nothing. If so how would the nothing be described?
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#163871 Apr 22, 2013
Teaching a child that they are Catholic or Muslim can be as bad as child abuse.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-23128...
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#163872 Apr 22, 2013
In remarks to Qatar-based TV network Al Jazeera, he said:‘Horrible as sexual abuse no doubt was, the damage was arguably less than the long-term psychological damage inflicted by bringing the child up Catholic in the first place.’

Interviewer Mehdi Hasan asked:‘You believe that being bought up as a Catholic is worse than being abused by a priest?’.

Professor Dawkins replied:‘There are shades of being abused by a priest, and I quoted an example of a woman in America who wrote to me saying that when she was seven years old she was sexually abused by a priest in his car.

‘At the same time a friend of hers, also seven, who was of a Protestant family, died, and she was told that because her friend was Protestant she had gone to Hell and will be roasting in Hell forever.

‘She told me of those two abuses, she got over the physical abuse; it was yucky but she got over it.

‘But the mental abuse of being told about Hell, she took years to get over.’

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Catcher1 774,102
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min USA Born 559,062
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 7 min BhuvanS 1,251
YENIKÖY – INDESIT Servis 299 I5 34 Servisi Yeni... 16 min hizmetlerimizservis 1
Kokopelli's Place, too (Jan '08) 21 min Ricky F 23,960
INDESIT SERVIS Tarabya (( O2I2 )) 299 I5 34 IND... 23 min hizmetlerimizservis 1
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 25 min Ricky F 53,252
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 43 min Lyndi 175,558
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Epiphany2 604,842
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 2 hr Barnsweb 441,758
More from around the web