Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
157,121 - 157,140 of 226,083 Comments Last updated 21 min ago

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Best read your bible again before making a jackass out of yourself.
Too late.

WAAAY too late.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Yes he roasted his only daughter as an offering to Yahweh.
allgodsarefalse wrote:
Jephthah vowed to God that if he is given victory over the Ammonites, he will make a burnt offering with whoever comes out to greet him when he returns victorious.

29Then the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah, and he passed through Gilead and Manasseh, and passed on to Mizpah of Gilead, and from Mizpah of Gilead he passed on to the Ammonites.
30And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD, and said, "If thou wilt give the Ammonites into my hand,
31then whoever comes forth from the doors of my house to meet me, when I return victorious from the Ammonites, shall be the LORD'S, and I will offer him up for a burnt offering." (Judges 11:29-31)

So God gave him the Ammonites and twenty more cities.

32So Jephthah crossed over to the Ammonites to fight against them; and the LORD gave them into his hand.
33And he smote them from Aroer to the neighborhood of Minnith, twenty cities, and as far as Abel-keramim, with a very great slaughter. So the Ammonites were subdued before the people of Israel.(Judges 11:32-33)

When he came home, his daughter came out to meet him. She was his only child.

34Then Jephthah came to his home at Mizpah; and behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances; she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.(Judges 11:34)

He was shocked because he could not take back his vow.

35And when he saw her, he rent his clothes, and said, "Alas, my daughter! you have brought me very low, and you have become the cause of great trouble to me; for I have opened my mouth to the LORD, and I cannot take back my vow." (Judges 11:35)

Who did he expect? A stranger?

She understood his dilemma and promised to cooperate. Jephthah honored her one final request for two months leave so she may bewail her virginity.

36And she said to him, "My father, if you have opened your mouth to the LORD, do to me according to what has gone forth from your mouth, now that the LORD has avenged you on your enemies, on the Ammonites."
37And she said to her father, "Let this thing be done for me; let me alone two months, that I may go and wander on the mountains, and bewail my virginity, I and my companions."
38And he said, "Go." And he sent her away for two months; and she departed, she and her companions, and bewailed her virginity upon the mountains.(Judges 11:36-38)

She returned after two months and Jepthah kept his vow.

39And at the end of two months, she returned to her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had made. She had never known a man. And it became a custom in Israel
40that the daughters of Israel went year by year to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in the year.(Judges 11:34-40)

And the priest shall burn them on the altar as food, an offering made by fire for a sweet aroma; all the fat is the Lord’s.”(Leviticus 3:16)

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

When you're right you're right. At this point we need to find out if that jackass prefers carrots or apples to stop braying.

:)
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Too late.

WAAAY too late.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Immanuel means 'God with us.'" That does not mean that the Messiahs name would actually be Immanuel.
I swear, you atheists have your own apologetics, doncha?
Damn near everything you say about the bible is wrong.
So, his name's not his name, his Dad's not his Dad (so his entire geneology is fiction), and he died but got all better?

Erm, have you thought about this at all?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the liar with no proof of god.
Says the liar with no proof of atheism.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Yet your god spoke directly to Jephthah several times and could have easily stopped him with but a word. Worse after Jephthah roasted his daughter for your god he was proclaimed a hero from then after. He is praised not vilified even in the New Testament and in all churches to this day.
<quoted text>
I'm not surprised you misunderstand. You do that a lot with bible verses and stories.

There is a point to Judges 11. There's also deep meaning to it. Can you guess what it is?(since you don't know, make a guess)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Best read your bible again before making a jackass out of yourself.
<quoted text>
Maybe you should start, instead of reading bible verses from atheist websites....

Immanuel means "God with us", that doesn't mean Jesus' name was supposed to be Immanuel.

Dipshit.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>So, his name's not his name, his Dad's not his Dad (so his entire geneology is fiction), and he died but got all better?
Erm, have you thought about this at all?
Of course. Have you?

Immanuel, Emmanuel or Imanu'el is a Hebrew phrase meaning "God is with us", it's not a name.

It's a symbolic name only.

Why do atheists pretend to know do much about a bible and a god they claim to not believe in?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should start, instead of reading bible verses from atheist websites....
Immanuel means "God with us", that doesn't mean Jesus' name was supposed to be Immanuel.
Dipshit.
Abahu, a Hebrew name for a boy, means "The Lord is my father."

Gal, for a boy, means "wave," in Hebrew.

As a Hebrew name for a girl, Hadara means "Splendour; beautiful."

Givona for a girl means "hill" in Hebrew.

Miranda in Latin means "She who must be admired."

Almost all names with origins from prior to about 100 years ago, and in many countries even today, are all actual words, with meanings, typically phrases or titles. It was suppose to be a name, that's what the capital letter means, proper noun.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

The Jephthah story's moral is you keep your promise to Yahweh no matter how painful it is.

Straight from a Rabbi, care to argue with him?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not surprised you misunderstand. You do that a lot with bible verses and stories.

There is a point to Judges 11. There's also deep meaning to it. Can you guess what it is?(since you don't know, make a guess)

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

May I suggest you read the bible cover to cover with no apologetic help? Often Christholes like to start at the end of the myth and work backwards.

Start at the Old Testament and note clearly all the messianic prophecies as stated not the apologetic excuse for them. After that work your way into the New Testament and see how well they match up.

After you get a hearty laugh there enjoy all the contradictions between the gospels. Separating the actual letters of Paul vs forgeries can come later :)
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe you should start, instead of reading bible verses from atheist websites....

Dipshit.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the liar with no proof of atheism.
Proof of atheism?

Have you gone mad?
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
May I suggest you read the bible cover to cover with no apologetic help? Often Christholes like to start at the end of the myth and work backwards.
Start at the Old Testament and note clearly all the messianic prophecies as stated not the apologetic excuse for them. After that work your way into the New Testament and see how well they match up.
After you get a hearty laugh there enjoy all the contradictions between the gospels. Separating the actual letters of Paul vs forgeries can come later :)
<quoted text>
Fundamentalists take the Bible literally have not read "Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why"
by Bart D. Ehrman, a New Testament scholar at University of North Carolina.

Givemeliberty, as a fundamentalist you may observe that words change meaning from time to time, like 3000 years.
Then the problem of translation....
Fundamentalists reading English translation of the Bible and then preaching as you do, may be found to be amusing

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Judged:

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Fundamentalists take the Bible literally have not read "Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why"
by Bart D. Ehrman, a New Testament scholar at University of North Carolina.
Givemeliberty, as a fundamentalist you may observe that words change meaning from time to time, like 3000 years.
Then the problem of translation....
Fundamentalists reading English translation of the Bible and then preaching as you do, may be found to be amusing
Right, another words everything it say's......means something else.
That's what we thought because..... none of you make any sense!

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course. Have you?
Immanuel, Emmanuel or Imanu'el is a Hebrew phrase meaning "God is with us", it's not a name.
It's a symbolic name only.
Why do atheists pretend to know do much about a bible and a god they claim to not believe in?
Oh, i see.

That's another one of those squirrely bits where the bible doesn't mean what it clearly says, it means what your preacher says it means.

Gottit.

Even if I accept THAT, what of geneaology? The day-and-a-half dirt nap? The wildly differing accounts of his life and death, by supposed eyewitnesses?
More allegory, misinterpretation and symbolism?

Don't bother to answer. I've read the thing.
Thinking

Ashford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Which is what separates us from most believers.
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I've read the thing.

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Which is what separates us from most believers.
<quoted text>
*sigh*

Yes.
Thinking

Ashford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Always scan the small print.

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>*sigh*
Yes.

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Thinking wrote:
Always scan the small print.
<quoted text>
All it takes is reading the thing _de novo_. Without interpretations, interpolations, or people who are trying to sell something.
Thinking

Ashford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Look out for over politeness too... spider sense is tingling. Snake oil for sale.
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>All it takes is reading the thing _de novo_. Without interpretations, interpolations, or people who are trying to sell something.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 5 min Tamil 5,273
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Stilgar Fifrawi 732,288
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 7 min DeAngelo of Memphis 2,399
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 min Dr_Zorderz 257,622
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min June VanDerMark 538,463
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 12 min KiMare 94,570
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 19 min karan 716
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 22 min Roberta G 173,232
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Holy dr Shrink 599,708

Search the Top Stories Forum:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••