Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258042 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Libertarian

London, UK

#163644 Apr 18, 2013
What rubbish!

Trust in scientific evidence and peer reviewes data couldn't be more different than faith in a deity.

Faith .....Trust. Look them up.
If your beliefs are so shaky that you have to attack science then you should stop using anything that owes its existance to science.

Modern medicine, any kind of transport from bikes to cars to planes.
Better stop using the internet, computers or anything electrical.
Betting start growing your own food and killing your own meat, don't refridgerate anything either. And make sure you've got plants with pure DNA, good luck with that.

Basically if you don't trust science you belong in a cave with your holy book, as long as it wasn't printed using a press, make sure its hand written, oh wait, you cant use ink or paper.
Hmmm without science how can you even pretend to practice what you believe.
Imhotep

Saint Petersburg, FL

#163645 Apr 18, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
It's amazing how religious these atheists are, and they don't even realize it.
Wrong

What's amazing is the fact that theists, in light of overwhelming evidence, living in the 21st century, still cling to an ancient myth.

What's amazing is they refuse to think.
They've abandoned their mind for their soul.

Someone else must think for them

Lying to ones self defines the religious

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#163646 Apr 18, 2013
Expert in all Things wrote:
<quoted text>
First, I have not postulated a god.
Next, please give me an example of empirical evidence that can prove the number 5.
And Platonism rears its head once again. A battle fought for the last 2400 years.

Let's start by discussing ideas. For example, unicorns do not exist. But the *idea* of unicorns exists. We can draw pictures of unicorns, we can describe their properties (horselike, one horn, likes virgins). But unicorns do not exist.

So where does the *idea* of a unicorn exist? Plato would say that it exists in some perfect 'realm of ideas' along with other ideas such as the idea of a chair. I would say that ideas exist inside our heads and are part of our culture. Given sufficient technology, we could determine when someone is thinking of unicorns. But the empirical evidence of the idea of unicorns is, in fact, those pictures we drew, the stories we tell, and the descriptions we make of this creature that does not, in fact, exist.

The point? The number 5 is an *idea*. It exists in our minds and in our culture in exactly the same way that the idea of a unicorn exists in our minds and culture. In fact, it is actually several different, related ideas.

One aspect of 5 is found in the process of counting. it is the fifth step when we count things. The fact that people do, in fact, count, gives empirical evidence for the idea of 5 things, and hence of 5 (since it *is* the idea).

But the idea of 5 appears in other guises: for example, we compute using the numeral '5'. In this case, 5 is part of an abstract process of calculation that we use to model the universe in some fashion. We can, for example, count out nine objects, take four of them away, do a calculation that 9-4=5, count the remaining objects and find that there are 5 of them. So the calculation allows us to model some aspect of reality. In this guise, 5 is a part of our language used to model reality.

Finally, the number 5 appears in some abstract formal systems with specified axioms and rules of deduction. In this guise, it is more similar to the idea of 'checkmate' in chess. Chess is a formal system with rules and checkmate is a particular class of positions in that game.

In any case, the empirical evidence for 5 is the counting, calculations, and abstract deductions we do, just like the empirical evidence for the idea of unicorns is the drawings, stories, and descriptions we use.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#163647 Apr 18, 2013
Expert in all Things wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right, my bad.
Can someone provide me an example of 'empirical evidence' that will prove the number five exists.
We do so in exactly the same way that we prove any other idea exists: by showing people actually using that idea. We prove that the idea of unicorns exists by presenting drawings of unicorns. We prove that 5 (an idea) exists, but showing people counting or calculating.
Bongo

Bronx, NY

#163648 Apr 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
It has been properly answered from several different angles.
Sorry we didn't say what your christian apologetic website predicted we would.
Better luck next time chumpstain.
<quoted text>
You consume too much liverwish you deviant weirdo. Your vehement posturing proves there is a God. Who else would spend all their time arguing about something they claim does not exist?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#163658 Apr 18, 2013
zander714 wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, I see 4 fingers, 2 thumbs, and 10 toes.
You're missing 4 fingers?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#163659 Apr 18, 2013
zander714 wrote:
<quoted text>I think at one point, you stopped for a minute to think, and forgot to start again.
You let your mind wander, and it never came back.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#163660 Apr 18, 2013
reagal wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for showing us on CNN you're proof that we [as Christians] are wrong. Could you show us when you televised your proof??? I missed the most watched episode of your evidence.
I was on CNN?

O_o

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#163661 Apr 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I see reading comprehension is your major malfunction. You have been done with this thread for a while but keep coming back to dance for our amusement.
<quoted text>
Ok.

But for the last time, I'm not wearing a thing for you.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#163662 Apr 18, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, then you can make one appear, and we will believe.
Make it interesting though, call your deity to appear, an then hold your breath until he shows up for us. Now that will prove who has faith. I have faith you will not be able to hold your breath and you will be quite literately GASPing for air before he shows up.
Okay, I will.

But first, you prove to me that you have hands.

Then I'll prove God to you.

Ready?
Go.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#163663 Apr 18, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>So, the thing's incomprehensible without the assistance of a salesman.
Does that not strike you as odd?
I mean, a deity ought to be clearer, no?
Um... No.

It's typically misunderstood by those claiming to have read it "cover to cover"...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#163665 Apr 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Wolverine! You changed your screen name!
Your example is meaningless because nobody is claiming the number 5 is an entity, a god, a creator of the universe. People do not claim the number 5 told them in a vision how we all must live our lives. 5 is a term coined to represent a numerical value not an actual sentient being so trying to compare a numerical value to a supposed god who spoke to ancient goat fckers is clueless.
It would be like comparing Beethoven and 8.
It's nothing more than pointless mental bubble gum.
The theist claims there is a god and people should believe in it/them. The atheist seeing no observable proof for this assertion decides not to believe. Until you can demonstrate observable proof for a god the atheist is on solid ground, and you know it.
<quoted text>
Oh, awesome. Okay...

Until you can provide empirical, observable, repeatable evidence TO US that you have hands...

We'll just assume you're lying.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#163666 Apr 18, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems odd that your god would make the primary source of information about him so indecipherable...
What's more odd is that God would create people that can't decipher it...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#163667 Apr 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I believe the scientific method has undermined the bible.
<quoted text>
I know.

It's your belief.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#163668 Apr 18, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try.
Not.
Ah yes... The atheist rules of debate from the atheist handbook...

You claim to have read the bible (which makes you an expert at it...)

I claim to have read an anthropology book (which means nothing)

My bad.
Imhotep

Saint Petersburg, FL

#163671 Apr 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I was on CNN?
O_o
I have one for you double R ;)

~\\\\\||||
~(@@)
oOo--O--oOo--
NO INFORMATION FOUND ON CNN

BOSTON (The Borowitz Report)—Authorities who have spent the past forty-eight hours combing CNN in the hopes of finding any information whatsoever have called off their search, they confirmed today.

“After monitoring every minute of CNN’s broadcast since Monday, we have found hearsay, rumors, falsehoods, and a steady stream of inane commentary,” one authority said.“Everything but information.”

The announcement was the second black eye today for CNN, which earlier in the afternoon recanted all of its reporting dating back to mid-2009.

Newly installed CNN chief Jeff Zucker acknowledged that the network had experienced “a rough patch” since he took over earlier this year, but added,“At least no one was watching.”
Thinking

Sheffield, UK

#163672 Apr 18, 2013
You know the scientific method has undermined the bible.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I know.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#163673 Apr 18, 2013
So you must be an atheist since you spend so much time arguing with atheists!

Lmfao see how flawed your christhole logic is?
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>You consume too much liverwish you deviant weirdo. Your vehement posturing proves there is a God. Who else would spend all their time arguing about something they claim does not exist?

Scottsburg, IN

#163674 Apr 18, 2013
So you lost 4 fingers? Dave is that you oh finger chopper?

Lmfao!
zander714 wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, I see 4 fingers, 2 thumbs, and 10 toes.

Scottsburg, IN

#163675 Apr 18, 2013
No you need to wear all your clothes! Last thing we need is your pale, pasty self running around nude! Good grief RR and Dave really have this bad man crush on me. Sorry reject just as I had to tell Dave, you may not gulp my black snake okay? No matter how much you want to it's not happening.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Ok.

But for the last time, I'm not wearing a thing for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Benefit of the Gardening. 4 min Kizzes7641 3
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 10 min onemale 284,644
Gardening tools--returning to the health life 13 min Mintz3376 4
Ever notice how MTV promotes interracial dating? (Jun '08) 18 min Bubblesss899 5
Lions Wellington Tickets 22 min Lick1903 2
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 22 min Clearwater 88,390
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 23 min Buck Crick 643
Secular Humanism VS Christianity 28 min Buck Crick 267
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 38 min Buck Crick 977,448
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 45 min truth 665,486
More from around the web