Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
156,301 - 156,320 of 226,367 Comments Last updated 39 min ago

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#162591 Mar 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What about elementaryschool?
derp
Not sure, but I think you missed the joke. Unless this was suppose to be a joke too, in which case I just didn't get it.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#162592 Mar 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Quick - completely forget the burden of proof lies upon the cowardly atheist to prove the ridiculous hallucination that they claim doesn't rule the entire universe.
What is it we claim rules the entire universe? Must have missed that meeting.
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#162593 Mar 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, no, no.
It's YOUR reading comprehension that's failing YOU.
You said you can find a contradiction in EVERY bible verse.
Find the contradiction for Genesis 1:1.
(Not Genesis 1:2, 1:3, 2:4-25.........)
Genesis 1:1.
Go.
Grasping at straws again RR!
The poster was correct.

Yes it is a contradiction.

The "Word of God", far from being inerrant, has always been a work in progress.

Here is a typical EXCUSE(apologetics ) site... I am fair!

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/gene...

The Bible's first paragraph - simple enough in English translation - is actually quite problematic in the Hebrew syntax. The first sentence of the Bible, indeed the first word, presents interpreters with some of the most complex and difficult questions of the Bible. Without getting into details here, the basic question is the syntactical relationship of v. 1 to v. 2, and the relationship of both of these together to v. 3.

To complicate matters further, debates about these verses are rarely conducted in a detached non-emotional manner based solely on the particulars of Hebrew syntax. Longstanding theological convictions about the subject matter often impinge upon the way interpreters read this text.
The New Cambridge Bible Commentary: Genesis, pp. 34-35, 2009)

With certain theological biases in place, and armed with a lack of knowledge of Biblical Hebrew (and other related cognate languages), one can get into useless discussios with people who have only one goal in view: uphold their previously taught faith or tradition-based-view.

Such attempts, thankully, are limited to Fundamentalists - as the rest of Christianity has long moved past clinging to older, out-dated views on the text.

As Claus Westermann puts it, "the debate about the beginnings of the world and of humankind has long since passed from the field of religion to the field of science, and the Christian Churches of the last generations have renounced their claims to enter the lists in the scientific controversies" (Introduction to Genesis, p. 1, 19794, Trans. 1992). He does admit the power the story still has for many.

Have you ever wondered WHY your faith needs a apologists?
Thinking

Mirfield, UK

#162594 Mar 27, 2013
Not me, but many christians did.

Hitler was the catholic leader of a majority protestant Germany.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess if you idolize Hitler.....
Libertarian

London, UK

#162595 Mar 27, 2013
Ha! If thats what you think you're doing science wrong.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#162596 Mar 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!
That dude?!
Lol, all he's good at is spinning tall tales.
Just like the apostles.

Only Michio deals with real science, not magic.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#162597 Mar 27, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
What is it we claim rules the entire universe? Must have missed that meeting.
You claim "it isn't God".

Your claim, your onus.

Location hidden

#162598 Mar 27, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Grasping at straws again RR!
The poster was correct.
Yes it is a contradiction.
The "Word of God", far from being inerrant, has always been a work in progress.
Here is a typical EXCUSE(apologetics ) site... I am fair!
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/gene...
The Bible's first paragraph - simple enough in English translation - is actually quite problematic in the Hebrew syntax. The first sentence of the Bible, indeed the first word, presents interpreters with some of the most complex and difficult questions of the Bible. Without getting into details here, the basic question is the syntactical relationship of v. 1 to v. 2, and the relationship of both of these together to v. 3.
To complicate matters further, debates about these verses are rarely conducted in a detached non-emotional manner based solely on the particulars of Hebrew syntax. Longstanding theological convictions about the subject matter often impinge upon the way interpreters read this text.
The New Cambridge Bible Commentary: Genesis, pp. 34-35, 2009)
With certain theological biases in place, and armed with a lack of knowledge of Biblical Hebrew (and other related cognate languages), one can get into useless discussios with people who have only one goal in view: uphold their previously taught faith or tradition-based-view.
Such attempts, thankully, are limited to Fundamentalists - as the rest of Christianity has long moved past clinging to older, out-dated views on the text.
As Claus Westermann puts it, "the debate about the beginnings of the world and of humankind has long since passed from the field of religion to the field of science, and the Christian Churches of the last generations have renounced their claims to enter the lists in the scientific controversies" (Introduction to Genesis, p. 1, 19794, Trans. 1992). He does admit the power the story still has for many.
Have you ever wondered WHY your faith needs a apologists?
I see that you can't find a contradiction in the bible of Genesis 1:1....

I win.

Location hidden

#162599 Mar 27, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like the apostles.
Only Michio deals with real science, not magic.
Even God....

"What was God thinking when the universe was created? That’s where we are going with this thing [the super collider].… The universe… is quite beautiful… it could have been random… it could have been horrible… that’s what Einstein believed. 11:51-11:52 P.M., 1/29/2010, Coast to Coast A.M.. his reply to the host Art Bell"

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#162600 Mar 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Your claim, your onus.
That's not the same as making a positive claim, you said we claimed that something did, now you admit we just say we don't know. So how are we suppose to preach about "I don't know?"
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#162601 Mar 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I see that you can't find a contradiction in the bible of Genesis 1:1....
I win.
LOSER!

In Genesis, Chapter 1, God creates the animals as well as plants and trees before he creates man. But, in Chapter 2, God creates man previous to his creating animals or plants.

Contradiction.
Yes... "faith is blind" and you are blind as bat, by your own design!
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#162602 Mar 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Even God....
"What was God thinking when the universe was created? That’s where we are going with this thing [the super collider].… The universe… is quite beautiful… it could have been random… it could have been horrible… that’s what Einstein believed. 11:51-11:52 P.M., 1/29/2010, Coast to Coast A.M.. his reply to the host Art Bell"
I would leave Einstein out of your arguments RR.

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." ~Albert Einstein

"Thus I came...to a deep religiosity, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached a conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true.... Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me." ~Albert Einstein

"I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it." ~Albert Einstein

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism." ~Albert Einstein

"He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice."
-Albert Einstein

Since: Mar 13

Bursa, Turkey

#162603 Mar 27, 2013
When we leave this world, we are going back to God himself.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#162604 Mar 27, 2013
Anybody want to make an easy $10k?

http://living.msn.com/life-inspired/the-daily...
Thinking

Mirfield, UK

#162605 Mar 27, 2013
It would only be easy if the christard was honest.
Aerobatty wrote:
Anybody want to make an easy $10k?
http://living.msn.com/life-inspired/the-daily...

“FAITH IN MANKIND”

Since: Mar 13

AT PEACE WITH NATURE

#162606 Mar 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, no, no.
It's YOUR reading comprehension that's failing YOU.
You said you can find a contradiction in EVERY bible verse.
Find the contradiction for Genesis 1:1.
(Not Genesis 1:2, 1:3, 2:4-25.........)
Genesis 1:1.
Go.
Genesis 1

New International Version (NIV)
The Beginning

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

I don't know if you would call this is a contradiction but -

Where was God before this "beginning"?

Heavens and the earth must have existed in some form or God could not have "hovered" above the waters.

At best what God did was to reshape what all ready existed.

So was Genesis 1:1 truly the beginning or was the beginning when the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep? There was according to Genesis 1:2 something that already existed.

Like a newborn baby's beginning does not begin when it is born in human form. It begins at conception looking much different.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#162607 Mar 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Your claim, your onus.
Using your logic, you have to prove we have detected at the center of our galaxy is not a black hole.

Using our logic, you have to give actual evidence there *is* a ruler of the universe.

Location hidden

#162609 Mar 27, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
LOSER!
In Genesis, Chapter 1, God creates the animals as well as plants and trees before he creates man. But, in Chapter 2, God creates man previous to his creating animals or plants.
Contradiction.
Yes... "faith is blind" and you are blind as bat, by your own design!
No, no, no....

What is a biblical contradiction of Genesis 1:1?

(Not Genesis.....)

(Genesis 1:1)

I'll wait.

Location hidden

#162610 Mar 27, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not the same as making a positive claim, you said we claimed that something did, now you admit we just say we don't know. So how are we suppose to preach about "I don't know?"
So you don't know if there's a God...

Ah.

So you're not an atheist....

Location hidden

#162611 Mar 27, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I would leave Einstein out of your arguments RR.
"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." ~Albert Einstein
"Thus I came...to a deep religiosity, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached a conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true.... Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me." ~Albert Einstein
"I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it." ~Albert Einstein
"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism." ~Albert Einstein
"He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice."
-Albert Einstein
LOL, we were talkin about michio kaku, not Einstein.

But your efforts are cute.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 min RADEKT 258,038
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Stilgar Fifrawi 733,141
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min June VanDerMark 539,058
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 13 min Israelis r Marxis... 117,988
Last Word + 2 16 min Tender Mercies 523
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 16 min RiccardoFire 36,754
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 38 min DeAngelo of Memphis 2,426
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 40 min RiccardoFire 94,680
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••