Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 245268 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#162581 Mar 27, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Quick change the subject away from the fact that you have no proof of god, you snivelling little cowardly creationist.
Quick change the subject away from the fact that you have no proof that God isn't real, you snivelling little cowardly atheist.
EndTimeNews

AOL

#162582 Mar 27, 2013

ISRAEL at APEX ----- READY for 7 YR Agreement

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#162583 Mar 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Quick change the subject away from the fact that you have no proof that God isn't real, you snivelling little cowardly atheist.
Quick - completely forget the Burden of proof lies upon the cowardly theist to prove the ridiculous hallucination that they claim rules the entire universe.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#162584 Mar 27, 2013
You see redneck, I could do this all day- showing up you stupid lying theists. Heck I do.
Thinking

Mirfield, UK

#162585 Mar 27, 2013
Hitler believed in god, so it must be true?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Imhotep

West Palm Beach, FL

#162586 Mar 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, bub. You found no contradiction in Genesis 1:1.
Try harder or don't try at all.
How long has reading comprehension failed you?
Or. You cannot admit you've never read the Bible.

(1:1-2:3) "In the beginning"

The first of two contradictory creation accounts.

Oops!

Compare with Genesis 2:4-25 in which the order of events is entirely different.

The book is filled with contradictions.

Read it sometime

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#162587 Mar 27, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
Quick - completely forget the Burden of proof lies upon the cowardly theist to prove the ridiculous hallucination that they claim rules the entire universe.
Quick - completely forget the burden of proof lies upon the cowardly atheist to prove the ridiculous hallucination that they claim doesn't rule the entire universe.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#162588 Mar 27, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
You see redneck, I could do this all day- showing up you stupid lying theists. Heck I do.
Ya, I can do this all day, too. Watch.

God is real and you can't prove me wrong.

HA HA !

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#162589 Mar 27, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Hitler believed in god, so it must be true?
<quoted text>
I guess if you idolize Hitler.....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#162590 Mar 27, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
How long has reading comprehension failed you?
Or. You cannot admit you've never read the Bible.
(1:1-2:3) "In the beginning"
The first of two contradictory creation accounts.
Oops!
Compare with Genesis 2:4-25 in which the order of events is entirely different.
The book is filled with contradictions.
Read it sometime
No, no, no.

It's YOUR reading comprehension that's failing YOU.

You said you can find a contradiction in EVERY bible verse.

Find the contradiction for Genesis 1:1.

(Not Genesis 1:2, 1:3, 2:4-25.........)

Genesis 1:1.

Go.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#162591 Mar 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What about elementaryschool?
derp
Not sure, but I think you missed the joke. Unless this was suppose to be a joke too, in which case I just didn't get it.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#162592 Mar 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Quick - completely forget the burden of proof lies upon the cowardly atheist to prove the ridiculous hallucination that they claim doesn't rule the entire universe.
What is it we claim rules the entire universe? Must have missed that meeting.
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#162593 Mar 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, no, no.
It's YOUR reading comprehension that's failing YOU.
You said you can find a contradiction in EVERY bible verse.
Find the contradiction for Genesis 1:1.
(Not Genesis 1:2, 1:3, 2:4-25.........)
Genesis 1:1.
Go.
Grasping at straws again RR!
The poster was correct.

Yes it is a contradiction.

The "Word of God", far from being inerrant, has always been a work in progress.

Here is a typical EXCUSE(apologetics ) site... I am fair!

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/gene...

The Bible's first paragraph - simple enough in English translation - is actually quite problematic in the Hebrew syntax. The first sentence of the Bible, indeed the first word, presents interpreters with some of the most complex and difficult questions of the Bible. Without getting into details here, the basic question is the syntactical relationship of v. 1 to v. 2, and the relationship of both of these together to v. 3.

To complicate matters further, debates about these verses are rarely conducted in a detached non-emotional manner based solely on the particulars of Hebrew syntax. Longstanding theological convictions about the subject matter often impinge upon the way interpreters read this text.
The New Cambridge Bible Commentary: Genesis, pp. 34-35, 2009)

With certain theological biases in place, and armed with a lack of knowledge of Biblical Hebrew (and other related cognate languages), one can get into useless discussios with people who have only one goal in view: uphold their previously taught faith or tradition-based-view.

Such attempts, thankully, are limited to Fundamentalists - as the rest of Christianity has long moved past clinging to older, out-dated views on the text.

As Claus Westermann puts it, "the debate about the beginnings of the world and of humankind has long since passed from the field of religion to the field of science, and the Christian Churches of the last generations have renounced their claims to enter the lists in the scientific controversies" (Introduction to Genesis, p. 1, 19794, Trans. 1992). He does admit the power the story still has for many.

Have you ever wondered WHY your faith needs a apologists?
Thinking

Mirfield, UK

#162594 Mar 27, 2013
Not me, but many christians did.

Hitler was the catholic leader of a majority protestant Germany.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess if you idolize Hitler.....
Libertarian

London, UK

#162595 Mar 27, 2013
Ha! If thats what you think you're doing science wrong.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#162596 Mar 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!
That dude?!
Lol, all he's good at is spinning tall tales.
Just like the apostles.

Only Michio deals with real science, not magic.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#162597 Mar 27, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
What is it we claim rules the entire universe? Must have missed that meeting.
You claim "it isn't God".

Your claim, your onus.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#162598 Mar 27, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Grasping at straws again RR!
The poster was correct.
Yes it is a contradiction.
The "Word of God", far from being inerrant, has always been a work in progress.
Here is a typical EXCUSE(apologetics ) site... I am fair!
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/gene...
The Bible's first paragraph - simple enough in English translation - is actually quite problematic in the Hebrew syntax. The first sentence of the Bible, indeed the first word, presents interpreters with some of the most complex and difficult questions of the Bible. Without getting into details here, the basic question is the syntactical relationship of v. 1 to v. 2, and the relationship of both of these together to v. 3.
To complicate matters further, debates about these verses are rarely conducted in a detached non-emotional manner based solely on the particulars of Hebrew syntax. Longstanding theological convictions about the subject matter often impinge upon the way interpreters read this text.
The New Cambridge Bible Commentary: Genesis, pp. 34-35, 2009)
With certain theological biases in place, and armed with a lack of knowledge of Biblical Hebrew (and other related cognate languages), one can get into useless discussios with people who have only one goal in view: uphold their previously taught faith or tradition-based-view.
Such attempts, thankully, are limited to Fundamentalists - as the rest of Christianity has long moved past clinging to older, out-dated views on the text.
As Claus Westermann puts it, "the debate about the beginnings of the world and of humankind has long since passed from the field of religion to the field of science, and the Christian Churches of the last generations have renounced their claims to enter the lists in the scientific controversies" (Introduction to Genesis, p. 1, 19794, Trans. 1992). He does admit the power the story still has for many.
Have you ever wondered WHY your faith needs a apologists?
I see that you can't find a contradiction in the bible of Genesis 1:1....

I win.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#162599 Mar 27, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like the apostles.
Only Michio deals with real science, not magic.
Even God....

"What was God thinking when the universe was created? That’s where we are going with this thing [the super collider].… The universe… is quite beautiful… it could have been random… it could have been horrible… that’s what Einstein believed. 11:51-11:52 P.M., 1/29/2010, Coast to Coast A.M.. his reply to the host Art Bell"

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#162600 Mar 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You claim "it isn't God".
Your claim, your onus.
That's not the same as making a positive claim, you said we claimed that something did, now you admit we just say we don't know. So how are we suppose to preach about "I don't know?"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 min Hidingfromyou 866,173
The Christian Atheist debate 57 min Rosa_Winkel 2,136
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr disciple 600,245
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr MUQ2 40,926
Poll Are Mexicans Taking Over America (May '13) 1 hr Pine Nut 3
Poll Will US Govt close Mexican border? (Apr '09) 1 hr Pine Nut 23
Poll should white men marry mexican women? (May '10) 1 hr Pine Nut 6
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr onemale 272,469
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 3 hr imr 48
More from around the web