Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247611 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#162510 Mar 26, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, this isn't quite right. The crucial aspect isn't the delay in the re-emission. It is the *phase shift* between the absorbed photon and the emitted one. In most media, the phase shift depends on the frequency. It turns out that a phase shift is completely equivalent to saying the velocity is different. This is why in anomalous dispersion we get 'speeds' of photons being faster than light in a vaccum. The phase shift is opposite the usual one, so instead of being equivalent to a slower speed, we get a shift equivalent to a faster speed.
In this view, it actually happens that light *always* moves at c, but phase shifts make it *appear* that it moves faster or slower.
Hi, Poly.

Thank you.

My little run-down wasn't completely wrong, though... was it.? It was just incomplete?

Though the delay between absorption and emission isn't the crucial aspect... it is an aspect.(?)

Light's *apparent speed* varies across a medium composed of matter and empty space... as everything we consider as “something” consists of a lot of “nothing”... the speed through the empty space alone remains constant.

Isn't phase shift of a wave of given frequency still dependent upon what it travels into?

Is it okay that my “thinking” is derived from what happens as electrical current flows into a capacitor? Electrons accumulate on the negative plate and are pushed from the positive plate. Potential builds across the plates... but, only after current begins to flow through the device. Thus, current flow is said to lead voltage through a capacitor......

...... in the same way fluid flow “leads” pressure across a tank. Something must flow into the tank before pressure builds. It's the restriction of flow at the tank's exhaust that gives rise to pressure.

I know I'm mixing analogies in that I'm referring to two different *electrical* characteristics as they apply to an electrical device... namely current (electrical flow) and voltage (electrical pressure)... and not sticking with one or the other. Signal phase at the output of a composite circuit can appear to lead that at the input when scoping only current or voltage (ie: dual-trace oscilloscope).

I'm also comparing electrical flow to fluid flow... and trying to extend that to something more fundamental.

Could something *similar* be said for a photon when one encounters an atom?

Not super-specifically... but, just as a general “arm-chair” explanation?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#162511 Mar 26, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =714-Ioa4XQwXX
Now I think I'm gonna have to watch the Simpsons movie today!
I started watching the Simpsons when it first aired on TV. I've been a loyal fan ever since. I just like Family Guy a little bit better.
I Love that!!

I'm not as old as u so i started halfway or something, but i have seen the REALLY old ones and they just look so raw!

I watched 'In time', it was good, justin ain't that bad as i thought he would be. it was kinda like logan's run, tho!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#162512 Mar 26, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I'm a ho, I have no favorite. ;)
Ok, there are a few I wouldn't mind giving face time to.
Christian Bale, Cillian, Russel Crowe (if he could regain his Romper Stomper look, meow!) and a couple others.
I bought the Slumdog CD but never watched it. Everybody says it sucks. I'll probably use it to scrape gum off my shoe next time I go to Walmart.
lol, it's hard to choose!!

u do mean cillian murphy, right?

u can keep Bale, i'm finished with him after 'dark knight rises'!!

We use to be so close before, do u know i went to batman's house a couple of times?? Very nice place!!
Imhotep

West Palm Beach, FL

#162513 Mar 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Proof? Do I have to price to you that Italian laws or Japanese laws don't matter to Americans or Canadians?
O_o
The rules in Leviticus were prescribed for the members of that tribe, they are considered a part of the covenant of God with the Jewish people.
Christians have never followed these laws, at least after their separation from the party of the Hebrews.
The same chapter in Leviticus also forbids eating shellfish, bacon cheeseburgers (meat and milk, meat of cloven animal), wearing mixed fabrics, and sowing 2 crops in one field. Christians do not follow these rules.....
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/lev/1.html

(Chapters 1 - 9)
God's instructions for animal sacrifices

God gives detailed instructions for performing ritualistic animal sacrifices.

Such bloody rituals must be important to God, judging from the number of times that he repeats their instructions.

Indeed the entire first nine chapters of Leviticus can be summarized as follows: Get an animal, kill it, sprinkle the blood around, cut the dead animal into pieces, and burn it for a "sweet savor unto the Lord."

Does God desire animal sacrifices?
(1:3, 10) "Offer a male without blemish."
Only unblemished males are to be killed and offered to God. Females don't even make good burnt offerings.

(1:5) "Kill the bullock before the LORD ... bring the blood, and sprinkle the blood round about upon the altar."

(1:6) "Flay the burnt offering; cut it into pieces."

(1:8-9) "Lay ... the head, and the fat ... on the fire which is upon the altar: But his inwards and his legs ... burn all on the altar, to be a burnt sacrifice ... a sweet savour unto the LORD."

What's next... foreskins?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#162514 Mar 26, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
yh, yh, that's the one!
Yh, i'm defo gonna check hobbit coz i like lord of the rings!!
Gee, I read Lord of the Rings before you were born, but I don't think I have seen any of the movies. I really enjoyed the book though.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#162515 Mar 26, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree!
Is it just me, Jack Nicholson really scares me. I just look at him and get scared!! He's a great actor, but i'm just sayin'!
He always sort of scared me too, but he is a great actor.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#162516 Mar 26, 2013
You never gave an answer except dodging the question.

Your cowering is amusing to watch as even now you are in desperation mode hoping to change the subject.

Keep proving me right.

So.. Yet again... What is your case that this so called god exists?

If you are unable to answer just surrender and I will accept your defeat.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Still cowering from my answer I see. Surrender?

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#162517 Mar 26, 2013
Clementia wrote:
I Love that!!
I'm not as old as u so i started halfway or something, but i have seen the REALLY old ones and they just look so raw!
I watched 'In time', it was good, justin ain't that bad as i thought he would be. it was kinda like logan's run, tho!
I just watched Dredd.

It was quite good.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#162518 Mar 26, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, I read Lord of the Rings before you were born, but I don't think I have seen any of the movies. I really enjoyed the book though.
O wise one, u have such ancient knowledge, i'm completely lost in its wonder!:-)

I've drunk too much water, sorry!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#162519 Mar 26, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I just watched Dredd.
It was quite good.
Aura and monkey guy said it's not worth it, i'll see!

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#162520 Mar 26, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
O wise one, u have such ancient knowledge, i'm completely lost in its wonder!:-)
I've drunk too much water, sorry!
Be careful, hon, too much water can be fatal.:)

My knowledge is pretty well all ancient, because I can remember very little of recent events.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#162521 Mar 26, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Aura and monkey guy said it's not worth it, i'll see!
'Twas just an opinion.

How about "Gamer (2009)"? Ya seen it?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#162522 Mar 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya, mostly.
I liked Waterworld & The Postman.
Mr. Brooks

Best movie he ever made.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#162523 Mar 26, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, Poly.
Thank you.
My little run-down wasn't completely wrong, though... was it.? It was just incomplete?
Though the delay between absorption and emission isn't the crucial aspect... it is an aspect.(?)
Light's *apparent speed* varies across a medium composed of matter and empty space... as everything we consider as “something” consists of a lot of “nothing”... the speed through the empty space alone remains constant.
Isn't phase shift of a wave of given frequency still dependent upon what it travels into?
Is it okay that my “thinking” is derived from what happens as electrical current flows into a capacitor? Electrons accumulate on the negative plate and are pushed from the positive plate. Potential builds across the plates... but, only after current begins to flow through the device. Thus, current flow is said to lead voltage through a capacitor......
...... in the same way fluid flow “leads” pressure across a tank. Something must flow into the tank before pressure builds. It's the restriction of flow at the tank's exhaust that gives rise to pressure.
I know I'm mixing analogies in that I'm referring to two different *electrical* characteristics as they apply to an electrical device... namely current (electrical flow) and voltage (electrical pressure)... and not sticking with one or the other. Signal phase at the output of a composite circuit can appear to lead that at the input when scoping only current or voltage (ie: dual-trace oscilloscope).
I'm also comparing electrical flow to fluid flow... and trying to extend that to something more fundamental.
Could something *similar* be said for a photon when one encounters an atom?
Not super-specifically... but, just as a general “arm-chair” explanation?
I'm taking this to PM as it is getting a bit more technical than topix can usually handle.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#162524 Mar 26, 2013
Clementia wrote:
Aura and monkey guy said it's not worth it, i'll see!
I would have liked it if the movie was longer.

It seemed a bit rushed.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#162525 Mar 26, 2013
scaritual wrote:
Mr. Brooks
Best movie he ever made.
I haven't seen that one.

We mustn't forget Robin Hood and Tin Cup.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#162526 Mar 26, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm taking this to PM as it is getting a bit more technical than topix can usually handle.
Your first PM was received... looking forward to the rest.

Thx.

Gett'n busy wid vittles right now. Read ya in a few.

=)

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#162527 Mar 26, 2013
LargeLanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you know calculus if you don't know algebra?
Any area of math has two components: understanding the concepts and knowing how to do the manipulations. For arithmetic and algebra, the manipulative aspects are generally more important than the conceptual aspects. For calculus, the two are closer to being equally important. It is quite possible to forget how to do the manipulations (and so have forgotten algebra) but still recall many of the conceptual aspects (thereby 'knowing' calculus').

Simple concepts like the rates of change and the fact that extrema happen when those rates are zero can be understood even if the details of taking derivatives and solving for critical points are forgotten.

It can even be argued that Archimedes knew the basics of calculus even though algebra had not been invented when he was alive.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#162528 Mar 26, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Be careful, hon, too much water can be fatal.:)
My knowledge is pretty well all ancient, because I can remember very little of recent events.
:-D

dw, u'r not missing much!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#162529 Mar 26, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
'Twas just an opinion.
How about "Gamer (2009)"? Ya seen it?
I know!

No, I haven't! Looks good!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Buck Crick 881,039
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 9 min abct 582
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min TTT 603,570
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 26 min Epiphany2 613,087
Has anyone ever heard of the Coudenhoven-Kalerg... 1 hr One Planet One Pe... 6
is it wrong i like to wear womens underwear (Nov '12) 2 hr Lace dream 276
Ask me a trivia question (Oct '08) 3 hr hellohelloem 213,278
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 6 hr dollarsbill 8,359
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 6 hr sangili karuppan 7,656
The Christian Atheist debate 6 hr Critical Eye 4,082
More from around the web