Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239174 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#161519 Mar 21, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you ignored everything that has been explained to you, literally everything, about scientific information just so you can pretend that it's all equal to your believe that your imaginary friend is in charge of the universe. That's low, really low, and exceedingly dishonest.
He doesn't believe in science. He's said on a number of occasions that science is lame. Yet he graciously accepts science when it's convenient. things like clean water, abundant food, his life being extended as well as his loved ones, sanitary conditions of the highest order. He will reject anything science has to say in order to preserve his delusional beliefs. No matter how many times the evidence has been presented to him, he will flatly rejects it. He'll proclaim that the evidence is not to be trusted, he'll twist and turn every which way in order to avoid the truth. Truth is NOT important to him, only his beliefs are. Although pitiful, I do enjoy watching what religious beliefs can do to the mind. Party of why I come on this site is to watch the effects religious beliefs has on what otherwise would be a normally intelligent mind. Very sad, but also interesting!!!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#161520 Mar 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not buying your snake oil, sorry.
Snake oil??????....An imaginary being scooped up some dirt and blew on it and out sprang a fully formed man.......Snake oil?.........Someone was crucified and died, he then got up a few days later and floated into heaven, on the day he does, hundreds of Zombies roamed the streets.........Snake oil??......An imaginary being magically impregnated a young women........Snake oil???.......A three hundred foot boat carried every species of animal on the planet for an entire year..........Unlimited snake oil........You poor saps will buy anything!!!!! Ha ha ha

Since: Sep 08

La Junta, CO

#161521 Mar 21, 2013
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/21/tech/innovation...

Told you it was a seed.

Take the hype with a grain of salt.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#161522 Mar 21, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
He uses "proven" instead of evidence.
He does it intentionally in order to maintain his delusion.
Sure.
He demands absolutes from science - which is (properly) very reluctant to make 'em.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#161523 Mar 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why us it that everyone who doesn't want to hear anything other than liberal media calls it Faux News?
Gee whiz, I wonder....
I betcha hate Limbaugh too, huh?
For me, that's an understatement.

Beneath contempt is a bit closer.

Scum.

If I were king of the world, I'd compel Limbaugh to turn in his membership card to the human race.

La Junta, CO

#161524 Mar 21, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Scum.
If I were king of the world, I'd compel Limbaugh to turn in his membership card to the human race.
I think you are jealous. More people believe him than you.

He is probably smarter, too.

You do know he has a lot of family that are lawyers? His father was one.

"His family has many lawyers, including his grandfather, father and brother David. His uncle, Stephen N. Limbaugh, Sr. is a federal judge in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri. His cousin, Stephen N. Limbaugh, Jr., is currently a judge in the same court, appointed by George W. Bush. Rush Limbaugh, Sr., Limbaugh's grandfather was a Missouri prosecutor, judge, special commissioner, member of the Missouri House of Representatives from 1930 until 1932, and longtime president of the Missouri Historical Society.[6] The Federal Courthouse in Cape Girardeau is named for Limbaugh's grandfather, Rush Limbaugh, Sr.."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_Limbaugh

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#161525 Mar 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are jealous. More people believe him than you.
He is probably smarter, too.
You do know he has a lot of family that are lawyers? His father was one.
"His family has many lawyers, including his grandfather, father and brother David. His uncle, Stephen N. Limbaugh, Sr. is a federal judge in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri. His cousin, Stephen N. Limbaugh, Jr., is currently a judge in the same court, appointed by George W. Bush. Rush Limbaugh, Sr., Limbaugh's grandfather was a Missouri prosecutor, judge, special commissioner, member of the Missouri House of Representatives from 1930 until 1932, and longtime president of the Missouri Historical Society.[6] The Federal Courthouse in Cape Girardeau is named for Limbaugh's grandfather, Rush Limbaugh, Sr.."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_Limbaugh
I didn't say Limbaugh wasn't smart.

Nor did I say that he doesn't have a lot of family members who are lawyers.

All I said is that he is, in my view, scum.

Sorry I have been down to one post a day here, but my lawyerly pursuits have superseded my ability to join you more often. I have had some cases that require much time, energy and creativity.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#161527 Mar 21, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Scum.

I admit he is vile, but not nearly as much as Bloomberg and Cuomo.
They prove dogs can pretend to be something.
But Limbaugh , Bloomberg and Cuomo all deserve to be beaten severely by real people, in the real world. Because they all think they are above reality.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#161528 Mar 21, 2013
Projecting again? While you're at it go look up delusional and then the treaty of tripoli.

Your questions will be answered.
Dave Nelson wrote:
sanc·ti·mo·ni·ous
/?saNG(k)t?'mone?s/
Adjective
derogatory. Making a show of being morally superior to other people.

A trait Topix atheists possess in abundance.

Where they get it from is anyone's guess.

Maybe it is a package deal with their being as*holes?

Lexington, KY

#161529 Mar 21, 2013
That's a funny way of saying you can't.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I don't need to back that up, not to you anyway...
Lincoln

United States

#161530 Mar 21, 2013
Most non-Orthodox Jews venerate secularism. Virtually every movement and organization advancing secularism in the United States has been founded or led by Jews, and Jews are disproportionately active in these movements.

The initials ACLU are loved and respected by most American Jews, primarily because the organization fights every public expression of religion. Secular Jews have spearheaded the movement to replace Merry Christmas with Happy Holidays.

But secularism is endangering us Jews, just as it is endangering our country and the countries of Western Europe, and it is dulling the souls of individual Americans and Europeans.

Secularism is great for government. But it is destructive to everything else.

Among many other things, it shatters meaning, marriage and even the desire to sustain a society through reproducing its members.

Lexington, KY

#161531 Mar 21, 2013
..... Well.... Ahem.....

Ladies and gentlemen, this ignorance on display shows the dangers of blind faith. RR has just stated there is no major difference between design and evolve.

Perhaps he can look into to design of the appendix and wisdom teeth while he is at it.

Interestingly enough more and more believers are carpeting evolution. Including Pope Ratface who just quit as well as the previous two Popes before him. It is really this branch of poorly educated Protestants who are having such issues with evolution.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Semantics.

Is it really that important?

"Designed to breathe"
"Evolved to breathe"

sigh

Lexington, KY

#161532 Mar 21, 2013
Humiliating yourself with Fox News again?

No wonder you make such a jackass out of yourself.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>They *think* it does.

"But after decades of work and billions of dollars spent, researchers at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, say they aren't quite ready to say they've "discovered" the particle.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/07/02/sci...

Lexington, KY

#161533 Mar 21, 2013
We have observable data for all to eagerly see for black holes. Any observable data for god or just your imagination?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Bullshit.

You believe in black holes even though they have not been proven.

You believe in dark matter even though it has not been proven.

You believe that love exists, even though it has not been proven.

And you believe in evolution, even though it has never been proven either.

Don't give me that crap that nothing can be believable until it's proven.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#161535 Mar 22, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
Most non-Orthodox Jews venerate secularism. Virtually every movement and organization advancing secularism in the United States has been founded or led by Jews, and Jews are disproportionately active in these movements.
The initials ACLU are loved and respected by most American Jews, primarily because the organization fights every public expression of religion. Secular Jews have spearheaded the movement to replace Merry Christmas with Happy Holidays.
But secularism is endangering us Jews, just as it is endangering our country and the countries of Western Europe, and it is dulling the souls of individual Americans and Europeans.
Secularism is great for government. But it is destructive to everything else.
Among many other things, it shatters meaning, marriage and even the desire to sustain a society through reproducing its members.
Ah, Hitler's youth is alive and well in Dennis Prager.

Lexington, KY

#161536 Mar 22, 2013
Best ignore wingnuts like Prager.

On a more interesting note before the Dave senile wetpants crew comes in boring everyone to tears...

This could be the coolest thing you see today! This took a lot of time and effort.

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, Hitler's youth is alive and well in Dennis Prager.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#161537 Mar 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
They *think* it does.
"But after decades of work and billions of dollars spent, researchers at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, say they aren't quite ready to say they've "discovered" the particle.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/07/02/sci...
Thanks for the Breaking News! What else happened last year?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#161538 Mar 22, 2013
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/21/tech/innovation...

Better 'baby picture' of universe emerges

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#161539 Mar 22, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/21/ tech/innovation/universe-planc k-map/index.html?hpt=hp_c3
Better 'baby picture' of universe emerges
What an adorable tyke it was back then. Gah, they grow up so fast.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#161540 Mar 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/21/ tech/innovation/universe-planc k-map/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Told you it was a seed.

Take the hype with a grain of salt.
Where does that say any thing about a seed?

What is a seed?

Why are you so dense?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min BenAdam 838,482
What REALLY happened between O.J.and Paula June... 4 min Doctor REALITY 10
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 min Mike thunkit 99,944
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 6 min Just is 4 All 4,363
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 11 min lovewithin 40,493
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 min confrinting with ... 590,158
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 15 min HipGnosis 176,944
More from around the web