Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247823 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#161388 Mar 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Then how did he get into the room?
Via space?
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#161389 Mar 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, so you a know-it-all?
<quoted text>
No.
I think you meant "becomes"...
<quoted text>
You're wrong in that you think your opinion in the matter is factual and absolute.
<quoted text>
Eh?
<quoted text>
Ah... Because my Topix screen name says "redneck" on it, you assume I'm not civilized.
You probably think I'm toothless, live in a trailer, wear suspenders, have a fat wife, stupid children, etc, etc.
Basically you ASSume all the redneck jokes are me.
You're so fucking gullible.
Cool, thanks for clearing that up for me. Yeah, I figured you were all of those things given your lack of scientific education. Sorry about the fat wife, quite letting her cook possum every night, very fattening I hear.

It's actually not my opinion, phycologist will tell you striking your child is a very bad idea. My NOT striking my children had nothing to do with what phycologists say, it just didn't feel right to me. I guess it feels GOOD to you. What does that say about you hillbilly? BTW, what size is your trailer?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#161390 Mar 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Cool, thanks for clearing that up for me. Yeah, I figured you were all of those things given your lack of scientific education. Sorry about the fat wife, quite letting her cook possum every night, very fattening I hear.
It's actually not my opinion, phycologist will tell you striking your child is a very bad idea. My NOT striking my children had nothing to do with what phycologists say, it just didn't feel right to me. I guess it feels GOOD to you. What does that say about you hillbilly? BTW, what size is your trailer?
You're so stupid. You can't see sarcasm, can you?

My wife isn't fat, she's 5'7", 153 lbs, blonde hair, hazel eyes. She's a knockout, to me anyway. I live in a home on one acre, I have 2 kids, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 horses & an African Gray parrot. I have 3 vehicles, a truck, a car & an SUV. I live in a modest home that we are happy with, just 1200 sq ft, but our yard is enormous and that's just what we want - little house, big yard. I also have a 850 sq ft garage with drive thru doors (front and back), rv parking, two sliding gates (yard is 100% fenced & private) and a well in the backyard. My kids are very smart, they're both above a 3.5 GPA and are on the honor roll at a school.

My life is great, for me.

I'm sorry that yours is so miserable to seek to project your anger on an anonymous website under an anonymous name...
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#161391 Mar 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There's that atheist ego, shining brightly.
"Both very successful, both Atheists"
HA HA !!!
Like their success or failure really matters if they're atheists or not...
I don't care if you say your a good parent or not and I will NOT assume and stereotype you as you have done to me.
I do think that being Atheists certainly contributed to some small degree on their success. That feeling of being a worthless sinner never entered into the equation. There is something to be said about NOT feeling your life has no meaning without a God thing in it. If I taught them anything it was how important it was to have as many true beliefs as possible, and to discard those beliefs that were NOT true. Without all the excess baggage, they can concentrate on developing a strong sense of pride in their accomplishments. It's amazing how wonderful the world can be without the thoughts of a celestial dictator peering into your most private thoughts 24/7. How do you people finds any joy in life is beyond me!!!!

Since: Mar 11

United States

#161392 Mar 20, 2013
Atheism isn't required to see your vast ignorance. I wonder if you ever realize how poorly educated you make yourself look on here.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>*thumbs through the atheist handbook*

*AHA!*

You just don't understand.

United States

#161393 Mar 20, 2013
So no observable evidence for god yes Dave?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text> http://scitechdaily.com/black-hole-and-red-dw...

A back hole.

Note the orbiting the barycenter, even though these are just 1 million clicks apart.

I've posted about that before.

Also note they are orbiting that point and not heading directly toward each other. The black hole is times the mass of our sun, and the star is 20% of our sun. About 1 million km, or 600,000 miles apart. Mercury is 28.5 million miles from the sun.

I've also posted about other forces at work keeping such celestial objects from crashing besides momentum.

United States

#161394 Mar 20, 2013
So god watches the turds fall out of your christhole? Does he count them you think?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Dude, God didn't "get" in the room.

He's always in the room.

Right now, yesterday, tomorrow, every room, everywhere.

Omnipresent: present everywhere at the same time.

If it helps you, think of God like time. You can't escape it, you can't beat it, you can't get away from it and even if you don't notice, it's there. Always. Everywhere.

United States

#161395 Mar 20, 2013
Your kid is so great and fulfilled that you spend hours each day and night on topix getting humiliated by atheists.

Live the fantasy trailer park!
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>You're so stupid. You can't see sarcasm, can you?

My wife isn't fat, she's 5'7", 153 lbs, blonde hair, hazel eyes. She's a knockout, to me anyway. I live in a home on one acre, I have 2 kids, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 horses & an African Gray parrot. I have 3 vehicles, a truck, a car & an SUV. I live in a modest home that we are happy with, just 1200 sq ft, but our yard is enormous and that's just what we want - little house, big yard. I also have a 850 sq ft garage with drive thru doors (front and back), rv parking, two sliding gates (yard is 100% fenced & private) and a well in the backyard. My kids are very smart, they're both above a 3.5 GPA and are on the honor roll at a school.

My life is great, for me.

I'm sorry that yours is so miserable to seek to project your anger on an anonymous website under an anonymous name...

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#161396 Mar 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I do think that being Atheists certainly contributed to some small degree on their success. That feeling of being a worthless sinner never entered into the equation. There is something to be said about NOT feeling your life has no meaning without a God thing in it. If I taught them anything it was how important it was to have as many true beliefs as possible, and to discard those beliefs that were NOT true. Without all the excess baggage, they can concentrate on developing a strong sense of pride in their accomplishments. It's amazing how wonderful the world can be without the thoughts of a celestial dictator peering into your most private thoughts 24/7. How do you people finds any joy in life is beyond me!!!!
You sure have a warped view of religion.

A god thing, and I noticed you capitalized god, helps give one a sense of humility, and lessens false egos. A good thing when lots of people have to live together.

Blow one note per second on your trumpet. One for each person in the world now. Take a long breath, as you will do that nonstop for over 220 years.

It's kinda stupid and vain to believe you are better than all of them, or that you got where you got strictly on your own.
Imhotep

United States

#161397 Mar 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Then how did he get into the room?
Jesus walks into a hotel, throws three nails on the room clerks desk and asks "Can you put me up for the night"?

666.66 shekels per night. ;)
Lincoln

United States

#161398 Mar 20, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Just because they are republican in Ireland doesn't mean republicans fund them from here Christine, It could be many professed democrats supporting them from here also. The Irish "republican" name means nothing in America.
Seems different now than in the time of "Bloody Sunday".
Irish Catholics in both political parties here.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#161399 Mar 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, God didn't "get" in the room.
He's always in the room.
If it helps you, think of God like time. You can't escape it, you can't beat it, you can't get away from it and even if you don't notice, it's there. Always. Everywhere.
Ahhhh.....Always, everywhere, everywhere at the same time, I get it. Wow, very powerful thing ya got there. Then I suppose that means he was at Sandy Hook the day of the massacre? If he's everywhere all the time, then he's present when 18,000 children die everyday from starvation, cool, what a great God ya got there, everywhere....all the time......omnipresent......... .just kind of worthless though. All that power at his disposal and,,,well not much!!! I wonder why it is that he actually reaches out and touches you but refused to reach out and help those terrified little children at Sandy Hook? If he can make physical contact with people, just a little shove would have saved so many children. I guess you're so much more important than all those who were massacred.....lucky you......poor them!!!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#161401 Mar 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
A god thing, and I noticed you capitalized god, helps give one a sense of humility, and lessens false egos. A good thing when lots of people have to live together.
Blow one note per second on your trumpet. One for each person in the world now. Take a long breath, as you will do that nonstop for over 220 years.
It's kinda stupid and vain to believe you are better than all of them, or that you got where you got strictly on your own.
So..I guess I have it wrong then. Christians DO NOT think of themselves as miserable sinners. They ARE NOT responsible for the sins committed by the original two? They DO NOT believe a child is born with original sin and must spend his or her life repenting for those sins? Nor do they believe that their god can observe them 24/7. They also DO NOT believe that this god can know exactly what they are thinking? And they DO NOT believe that anyone who doesn't accept their god will suffer eternal torture?.....WOW....who knew I could be so very wrong all these years. Thanks for the heads up!!!!!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#161402 Mar 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I play that many notes in one Jazz solo.

I never said I was "better" that anyone, unless your talking about other trumpets players, the I'm much better than most. And yes, I actually did get where I am today all on my own. It's called dedication, passion for what you do, coupled with massive amounts of hard work and being incredibly persistent.
bohart

Newport, TN

#161403 Mar 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I do think that being Atheists certainly contributed to some small degree on their success. That feeling of being a worthless sinner never entered into the equation. There is something to be said about NOT feeling your life has no meaning without a God thing in it. If I taught them anything it was how important it was to have as many true beliefs as possible, and to discard those beliefs that were NOT true. Without all the excess baggage, they can concentrate on developing a strong sense of pride in their accomplishments. It's amazing how wonderful the world can be without the thoughts of a celestial dictator peering into your most private thoughts 24/7. How do you people finds any joy in life is beyond me!!!!
Ok.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#161404 Mar 20, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
I must disagree, Dave.
That OTDR is a carefully calibrated electronic detector (photonic, actually)... and time lag (the TD is for Time Domain) is part of what it measures.
It's used to certify, test, and troubleshoot optical fiber by measuring attenuation of laser light in the medium.
It works by injecting laser pulses at one end (the equipment end).
The pulses travel through the fiber. Every splice, every bend, every imperfection, every break... all the way to the far end (the terminated end)... causes a reflection.
“Bounce back” signals are received *back* at the equipment end.
The machine “knows” when the pulses were injected. It compares the time of injection to the time bounce backs are received.
The optical fiber could be 100 feet in length... it could be 100 miles in length... or longer.
The cables are manufactured with sequential distance markings printed on the sheathings... in feet (or sometimes meters).
If the operator is at one end of a strand with the OTDR, and the terminated end is 50 miles away... and there's a break or an unacceptable point of attenuation somewhere in between... the OTDR will tell him, to within a foot or two, how many feet distant the damage/defect is.
The operator reads the first distance marking on the cable at his end and drives to the location to affect repair (or sends a tech)... which may require removing the damaged section and splicing in some new cable... or simply straightening out a kink/bend.
The readings the OTDR provides give the operator a pretty good idea of what to expect, as different defects have distinct tale-tale characteristics.
You mentioned temperature... and it does have an effect on fiber's optical characteristics. Various manufacturers design their products to operate within set parameters. The OTDR takes that into consideration and can tell the operator what kind of fiber it's attached to... though, the operator usually inputs that info into the machine. It isn't designed to do so... but, with a little effort, a skilled operator could derive a temperature at some point along a cables length based on the effect it has on signal attenuation.
The machine translates light's travel time through the medium into a distance and provides a graphic display... similar to an oscilloscope trace... with distance plotted on the x-axis (horizontally) and attenuation plotted on the y-axis (vertically).
If light's speed wasn't constant, none of that would be possible.
There's another piece of equipment called a TDR (no “O”) that performs an identical procedure on copper... or aluminum... or steel. Rather than measure attenuation of light, it measures attenuation of electrical current (electron flow). Electrons have characteristics that are well understood and the properties of the mediums they travel through affect flow in a manner similar to what's described above.
I understand where you're coming from, Dave.
Do you understand where I'm coming from?
The fact that a piece of equipment can be designed to do that says that the designers know what they're doing.
You're talking to The Dave Nelson.

Did you have to use *designers* in that post?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#161405 Mar 21, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Ahhhh.....Always, everywhere, everywhere at the same time, I get it. Wow, very powerful thing ya got there. Then I suppose that means he was at Sandy Hook the day of the massacre? If he's everywhere all the time, then he's present when 18,000 children die everyday from starvation, cool, what a great God ya got there, everywhere....all the time......omnipresent......... .just kind of worthless though. All that power at his disposal and,,,well not much!!! I wonder why it is that he actually reaches out and touches you but refused to reach out and help those terrified little children at Sandy Hook? If he can make physical contact with people, just a little shove would have saved so many children. I guess you're so much more important than all those who were massacred.....lucky you......poor them!!!!
There's always a reason.

God works on mysterious ways.

Sometimes the answer to prayers is no.

We're not to question god's will.

It's because of gays.

It's because of atheists.

It's because there's no god.

Pick one.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#161406 Mar 21, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>You're talking to The Dave Nelson.

Did you have to use *designers* in that post?
I know what you mean.

I cringe every time a biologist says some feature was designed to do something.

I just know there's some IDer out there saying "see. Even scientists say there's a designer", when that's not what he's talking about at all.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#161407 Mar 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>There's that atheist ego, shining brightly.

"Both very successful, both Atheists"

HA HA !!!

Like their success or failure really matters if they're atheists or not...

I don't care if you say your a good parent or not and I will NOT assume and stereotype you as you have done to me.
But you just did.

Reread your first sentence.

D'oh!

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#161408 Mar 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Dude, God didn't "get" in the room.

He's always in the room.

I notice time.

Believe me.

I notice time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Darwins Stepchild 882,189
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 17 min Sagar khan 600
pijat pasutri bali (Apr '13) 17 min dheka 66
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 25 min who 177,914
News The Latest: Husband: Kentucky clerk is 'standin... 32 min GOD loves GAYS mo... 76
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr guest 603,885
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 hr Student 41,181
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 3 hr dollarsbill 8,479
The Christian Atheist debate 4 hr Critical Eye 4,236
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 11 hr The swamiji 7,718
More from around the web