Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,753)

Showing posts 155,041 - 155,060 of217,368
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Never was. But why would you need to know, kiddo?
I dunno, I figured since you asked that question like 100 times, you probably were and still are.

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
You attacked christineM, what does that make you?
Awesome.

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
It isn't my problem that you didn't know what post we were talking about >>> The post submitted on the other thread before the post on this thread was submitted.
About the post you're talking about...
It was just explained why you should bother with the rest of it. When read in full... the first sentence is not in error.
I see now that you're going after little things (/posts/post/).
Typical strategy of one whose argument is flawed.
Omg dude... I thought OCB was anal retentive.

You take the cake.

All this time, I've been talking about that post of yours that started with "Light's speed is constant."

There was only one post of yours that started with that particular sentence.

That was the only post I've been referring to.

I know it sucks to lose, but you just did.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Never could get Red Hat to install right on any computer I had. Was an epic to get, anyhow, back then. I started with Debian, went with Slackware for a while, then back to Debian and then Ubuntu.
Linux grew faster than I could keep up with after Debian 3. So much security stuff they inserted.
Ubuntu is well maintained and does about everything out of the box. Just a few tweaks is all it needs. The Unity is something they are going to for commercial purposes, some lens thing to search for specific products. Ubuntu wants to wind up on other platforms, too. I do like the window closing on the left once I got used to it.
Kubuntu eats up too much resources with that KDE fo me. Too much like Windows. I like the simplicity of Gnome. I LOVE Totem. Plays everything, and I like Goom. Just wish I could come up with a file script to enqueue that survives release changes.
OS/2 was my favorite system. You could customize the hell out of that, all built in. But it died. No support.
Too old and tired to want to play with these things any more.
Ubuntu and all of it's derivatives suck. You also do realize that any media player on a Linux system can play any format that the others can play, correct? Totem, like MPlayer and all the others, are called front ends for a reason.

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Riverside Redneck is a sociapath, he wants to cause as much hassle as possible.
WTF is a sociapath?
LargeLanguage

Wrexham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I dunno, I figured since you asked that question like 100 times, you probably were and still are.
I don't have any reason personal to myself to tackle you on it, it is only the damage you cause other people. You are inhuman.
LargeLanguage

Wrexham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Awesome.
I am a dick for attacking her, while you attack her you are awesome? Hypocrite!
LargeLanguage

Wrexham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF is a sociapath?
YOU are. Why aren't you discussing computers like the rest of them are, little pup? Don't even know the name of the computer you use?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Ubuntu and all of it's derivatives suck. You also do realize that any media player on a Linux system can play any format that the others can play, correct? Totem, like MPlayer and all the others, are called front ends for a reason.
Uh huh.

I assume you like Scientific Linux. That's Red Hat.

Totem is a nice and simple interface for music and videos. Very well supported. I like the Goom visualization, also.

Not all can play everything. Depends on your sound system and libraries.

Tough shit if you don't like Ubuntu. I do. That's all thats counts.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

http://www.ghosttheory.com/2013/03/15/higgs-b... ?

http://noosphere.princeton.edu/

This would play hell with atheism. Would point to something larger than our individual selves.

Of course, you would then get atheist apologetics, saying this universal consciousness sprang from stellar shit.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh huh.
I assume you like Scientific Linux. That's Red Hat.
Totem is a nice and simple interface for music and videos. Very well supported. I like the Goom visualization, also.
Not all can play everything. Depends on your sound system and libraries.
Tough shit if you don't like Ubuntu. I do. That's all thats counts.
Actually, I prefer Suse, it's smaller and has better legacy support as well as nice flavors. Works well with Xfce and doesn't mess up when running Blender every 5 minutes like Ubuntu does. Ubuntu's choices for memory management force many people to add in other repo systems to make the computer work well, that's not a "well maintained" repo/system.

As for Totem, it's great for quick video tests, but the interface is lacking, MPlayer's interface, called SMPlayer, is far superior in that it offers more control and tweaking.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I prefer Suse, it's smaller and has better legacy support as well as nice flavors. Works well with Xfce and doesn't mess up when running Blender every 5 minutes like Ubuntu does. Ubuntu's choices for memory management force many people to add in other repo systems to make the computer work well, that's not a "well maintained" repo/system.
As for Totem, it's great for quick video tests, but the interface is lacking, MPlayer's interface, called SMPlayer, is far superior in that it offers more control and tweaking.
I'm just a simple kind of guy. My needs are simpler than yours.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Never could get Red Hat to install right on any computer I had. Was an epic to get, anyhow, back then. I started with Debian, went with Slackware for a while, then back to Debian and then Ubuntu.
Linux grew faster than I could keep up with after Debian 3. So much security stuff they inserted.
Back in “the day”... on the one hand... things were simpler... because there were fewer choices to be made.

On the other hand... the choices that were available were geared for enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.

Today... things are just the opposite. That's one way of looking at it, anyhow.
Ubuntu is well maintained and does about everything out of the box. Just a few tweaks is all it needs. The Unity is something they are going to for commercial purposes, some lens thing to search for specific products. Ubuntu wants to wind up on other platforms, too. I do like the window closing on the left once I got used to it.
Again... Ubuntu's a fine distro. You'll not hear me say anything bad about it.

On this little T61 (close to 6 years old now), Fedora 7 was my OS of choice... for the reason you point out with Ubuntu >>> With a little tweaking here and there, everything worked. F7 stayed on it for 5 years... 3 years after that version reached EOL. Fedora 17 works out of the box... everything... albeit a bit sluggishly. >>> Too much bloat. I have heat issues to contend with and F17 doesn't help. The laptop's been brought back from literal death 3 times now. I think I told ya about it when it happened the first time. >>> Mobo reflow in kitchen oven. I'm really attached to this laptop... kinda like a doctor to a patient.

Slackware's actually already installed on a separate partition... it just isn't getting used. I need to take a day or two and make the cross-over.
Kubuntu eats up too much resources with that KDE fo me. Too much like Windows. I like the simplicity of Gnome. I LOVE Totem. Plays everything, and I like Goom. Just wish I could come up with a file script to enqueue that survives release changes.[QUOTE]

I like a KDE for its “tweakablity”. I also like several of the resource friendly desktop environments >>> LXDE, XFCE, Fluxbox, etc.

The fact that it (KDE) is similar to Windows is the reason Kubuntu is recommended for those wanting something besides Windows. Most of the people I install it for are really just looking for a dependable way to access the Web, check email, office apps, etc. It works well to those ends provided the machines aren't antiquated.

Haven't messed with Totem too much. If it works, stick with it. For me, it's VLC.

[QUOTE]OS/2 was my favorite system. You could customize the hell out of that, all built in. But it died. No support.[QUOTE]

It's a shame too. I have a copy of OS/2 Warp 3, floppy disks, that's never even been installed.

[QUOTE]Too old and tired to want to play with these things any more.
I'm getting there myself. But, just imagine if Linux didn't exist and there was nothing to play with.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Damnit!... that post got all screwed up.

Sorry 'bout that.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Lemme fix it...
Kubuntu eats up too much resources with that KDE fo me. Too much like Windows. I like the simplicity of Gnome. I LOVE Totem. Plays everything, and I like Goom. Just wish I could come up with a file script to enqueue that survives release changes.
I like a KDE for its “tweakablity”. I also like several of the resource friendly desktop environments >>> LXDE, XFCE, Fluxbox, etc.

The fact that it (KDE) is similar to Windows is the reason Kubuntu is recommended for those wanting something besides Windows. Most of the people I install it for are really just looking for a dependable way to access the Web, check email, office apps, etc. It works well to those ends provided the machines aren't antiquated.

Haven't messed with Totem too much. If it works, stick with it. For me, it's VLC.
OS/2 was my favorite system. You could customize the hell out of that, all built in. But it died. No support.
It's a shame too. I have a copy of OS/2 Warp 3, floppy disks, that's never even been installed.
Too old and tired to want to play with these things any more.
I'm getting there myself. But, just imagine if Linux didn't exist and there was nothing to play with.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Junior ground? Ya that just about sums it up.

Goodbye turd.

:flush;
LargeLanguage wrote:
<quoted text>Shut up, BOY! Can't stand your junior ground, BOY? Eh BOY?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Crazy old Dave, always good for a laugh.
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.ghosttheory.com/201 3/03/15/higgs-boson-psychokine sis?

http://noosphere.princeton.edu/

This would play hell with atheism. Would point to something larger than our individual selves.

Of course, you would then get atheist apologetics, saying this universal consciousness sprang from stellar shit.
LargeLanguage

Wrexham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Junior ground? Ya that just about sums it up.
Goodbye turd.
:flush;
<quoted text>
Did you know that Riverside Redneck said that he enjoyed that his children would jump when he tells them to jump without even saying how high? Sounds like a dictator.
CunningLinguist

Windermere, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

If Operating Systems Ran The Airlines...

UNIX Airways
Everyone brings one piece of the plane along when they come to the airport. They all go out on the runway and put the plane together piece by piece, arguing non-stop about what kind of plane they are supposed to be building.

Air DOS
Everybody pushes the airplane until it glides, then they jump on and let the plane coast until it hits the ground again. Then they push again, jump on again, and so on...

Mac Airlines
All the stewards, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket agents look and act exactly the same. Every time you ask questions about details, you are gently but firmly told that you don't need to know, don't want to know, and everything will be done for you without your ever having to know, so just shut up.
Windows Air
The terminal is pretty and colourful, with friendly stewards, easy baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off. After about 10 minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning whatsoever.

Windows NT Air
Just like Windows Air, but costs more, uses much bigger planes, and takes out all the other aircraft within a 40-mile radius when it explodes.

Windows XP Air
You turn up at the airport,which is under contract to only allow XP Air planes. All the aircraft are identical, brightly coloured and three times as big as they need to be. The signs are huge and all point the same way. Whichever way you go, someone pops up dressed in a cloak and pointed hat insisting you follow him. Your luggage and clothes are taken off you and replaced with an XP Air suit and suitcase identical to everyone around you as this is included in the exorbitant ticket cost. The aircraft will not take off until you have signed a contract. The inflight entertainment promised turns out to be the same Mickey Mouse cartoon repeated over and over again. You have to phone your travel agent before you can have a meal or drink. You are searched regularly throughout the flight. If you go to the toilet twice or more you get charged for a new ticket. No matter what destination you booked you will always end up crash landing at Whistler in Canada.

OSX Air:
You enter a white terminal, and all you can see is a woman sitting in the corner behind a white desk, you walk up to get your ticket. She smiles and says "Welcome to OS X Air, please allow us to take your picture", at which point a camera in the wall you didn't notice before takes your picture. "Thank you, here is your ticket" You are handed a minimalistic ticket with your picture at the top, it already has all of your information. A door opens to your right and you walk through. You enter a wide open space with one seat in the middle, you sit, listen to music and watch movies until the end of the flight. You never see any of the other passengers. You land, get off, and you say to yourself "wow, that was really nice, but I feel like something was missing"

Linux Air
Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself.
When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
A non-vacuum media...
Light travels though unoccupied space at 1c (empty space; a vacuum).

Light *only* travels through unoccupied space, and *always* at 1c.

Don't stop reading, RR.

When a photon encounters a particle of matter, it gets absorbed by the particle.

Shortly thereafter, a new photon gets emitted from the particle.

There's a brief duration of time between absorption and emission. It's a very, very brief duration... but, it is quantifiable.

The new photon travels at a speed of 1c until it encounters another particle of matter, where and when it gets absorbed and a new-new photon is re-emitted.

The processes is repeated, over and over, as light traverses what we're referring to as “occupied space”... which really consists of mostly empty space.

Have you ever heard that an atom consists of mostly empty space? It's true.

Molecules consists of atoms. Thus, molecules are mostly empty space.

The stuff that occupies space consists of molecules. Thus, the stuff consists of mostly empty space.

Light's speed is constant, at 1c, when it's traveling. Otherwise, it's waiting to be emitted.

The overall effect is that light's “apparent speed” varies. The variability depends upon the duration of time between absorption/emission of photons when they encounter matter... and the distance they travel between encounters.

Thus, it's perfectly acceptable to posit that light's speed is constant.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 155,041 - 155,060 of217,368
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

771 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min sweets2360 681,059
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min truth 512,451
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 9 min DNF 89,653
Why do people not believe in God? (Feb '07) 9 min Bob of Quantum-Faith 24,629
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 13 min waaasssuuup 596,650
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 19 min Porkpie Hat 250,480
The sad REALITY of being a gay atheist 38 min Truth 18
teen snapchat nudes 2 hr Jasmine 140
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 7 hr nikeelite0193 291
•••
•••
•••