Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
154,741 - 154,760 of 224,109 Comments Last updated 17 min ago

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
http://hubblesite.org/explore_astronomy/black...
You can admit your error now.
That doesn't provide any evidence....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not wrong.
Incomplete, maybe, but not wrong.
Your statements, that the speed of light varies, are equally incomplete, so by your own admission they are also wrong.
Your statements that the speed of light varies, should read something like, depending on the medium, or when going from one medium to another.
When light is travelling in a single medium, its speed does not vary. It is only "c" in a vacuum, but its speed will be constant for each medium it travels in.
You can admit you were wrong now.
I said the speed of light varies.

You agreed.

And you want me to admit what?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in the U.S.
It is shrinking here while in underdeveloped and third world countries it is growing.
That is most likely due to lack of education and desperate poverty.
Then the Canadians, Norwegians & Chinese are clearly uneducated.....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Understood.
How about changing it to read "in a uniform medium" and "for specific frequencies"?
I.E., light speed does not just vary randomly, which is what RR's statement could be read as, though I understand that that's not what he means.
He doesn't afford the same understanding to any of us.
My statement said nothing of the sort.

All I said was the speed of light isn't a constant.

And all y'all went in an uproar, adding in your own words & changing what I said.

That's your fault, not mine.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Right.
You are a gnostic theist.
You KNOW god exists.
Which is a logical absurdity.
Why?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The E&M fields mostly lead to rotation of the polarization of the light and it takes very large fields to affect the refractive index in any significant way. So the distances are reliable to within their error bars even with these effects.
Once again, even in the most substantial nebulae, the density is lower than the best vacuums we can obtain on earth. So the speed of light is affected, but not by any substantial amount. Certainly much less than .01%.
<quoted text>
Triangulation, also known as parallax, is only available for stars within a few hundred light years of us. Past that, the angles involved are just too small. Even within these limits, the error bars are quite substantial. Look up the Hipparchos mission some time.
You supposedly have 13.2 billion by 6 trillion miles between here and there. A long walk. It is not totally empty space, materially or energywise. There is at least a bare minimum refractive effect to it along the whole way. Even more when it enters the galaxy and the solar system.

Oh, and since gravity can bend light waves, it can also impede their emission outwards.

A very light breeze will blow you off course over a long distance as will a heavy one in a short distance.

You base your constants on too little real info.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
The IRA did have a very small 'protestant' membership just as the RUC had catholic policemen.
It essentially was a war between pro british and pro united ireland factions.
Gaddafi stopped funding the IRA after Enniskillen, in fact he received a delegation from those who wanted an independent ulster but in the end washed his hands of the situation.
Whos lying now you chip bag mouth?
I am not asking what you rest on your chin when you are sucking dick

I see you have not offered any citations for what you say. Your opinion is your opinion and just like buttholes, everyone has an opinion.

Nope, it was a series of minority terrorist attacks against a majority population

Let me show you what Roman Catholic Resources says about the IRA

Q. What is the Irish Republican Army, Catholic or Protestant?
A.… They are Catholics,…
A. The IRA, which is mostly dissolved, was a Catholic organization….
A. Extreme right "Catholic republicans, to be exact….

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provisional_Iris...

You want to lie then feel free to lie if it helps you masturbate but don’t go accusing me of lying just because you are a moron

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"I started retaliating"
My goodness, I step back in amazement.

He is able to read

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

The Earth has to have matter emitting nuclear particles here and there and round about. A certain amount of plasma discharge has to occur, too.

If this is ejected into space, where will it go? Being heavier mass, would it not wind up heading for the sun? I would think electron would, too.

There has to be a return path for charged particles and loose nuclear bits back to the sun.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you have not offered any citations for what you say. Your opinion is your opinion and just like buttholes, everyone has an opinion.
Nope, it was a series of minority terrorist attacks against a majority population
A.… They are Catholics,…
You want to lie then feel free to lie if it helps you masturbate but don’t go accusing me of lying just because you are a moron
"Active 1969–1997 (formal end to the armed campaign was declared in 2005)"

Let it go already. They just wanted you damn Brits outta their country. Leave em alone.
LargeLanguage

Wrexham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
And science does not say that the speed of light is constant. It says that the speed of light *in a vacuum* is constant.
Now, space, even in fairly dense nebula like the Orion nebula is a very, very good vacuum, better than anything we can produce on earth. So the speed of light, even in a nebula like the Orion nebula, is more than 99.9999% of C.
So the whole discussion, which started as a question of how long it takes for light to travel billions of light years, is rather pointless. For accuracy available for the distances discussed, the speed of light through a nebula is the same as the speed of light in a vacuum.
Unless you think there are large bodies of liquid water in space between the distant galaxies and us, using the speed of light in a vacuum is perfectly valid.
Can you prove this?
LargeLanguage

Wrexham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm not getting angry.
Are you tying to make me angry?
Is infinite energy available?
Denying you are getting angry to try to make yourself not look weak? Does meth effect the brain making it more self conscious?
LargeLanguage

Wrexham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
You were wrong when you said that the speed of light in water is a constant. In fact, it varies with frequency. You made the same mistake about the speed of light in paper.
Why does it vary with frequency moron?
LargeLanguage

Wrexham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
M = m/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
Where:-
M = Relativist Mass
m = Rest Mass
v = Velocity of body
c = Velocity of Light
Speed is not the cause for mass. Mass and energy causes speed. An objects movement, and its speed it caused by force, idiot! Speed doesn't cause the force!

Shut up polymath257
LargeLanguage

Wrexham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
An atheist and an agnostic are quite different, son.
Right, I see it now. You call everybody "son".
LargeLanguage

Wrexham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's awesome, but I have no idea what it means.
I gave up on math when they started putting letters in it :)
So why not blame yourself that you didn't get your diploma because you didn't work hard enough in class?
LargeLanguage

Wrexham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but the speed of light *in a vacuum* does not. By convention, unless otherwise stated, the speed of light *means* the speed of light in a vacuum.
It is the speed of light in a vacuum that is c. So c is a constant. It is even an exact constant: 299,792,458 meters per second. This is contrary to your previous claims (post 160521).
Furthermore, the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers. So, if you were moving at half the speed of light past me and I turned on a flashlight, you would see the beam from that flashlight catch up to you with a speed of c (assuming all is in a vacuum).
Light slows down the further it travels.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

LargeLanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, I see it now. You call everybody "son".
Except you. I call you "bitch".
LargeLanguage

Wrexham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
A.… They are Catholics,…
They were british, so they were conservative, not republican, idiot! Look, damaged goods, the KKK were democratic.
LargeLanguage

Wrexham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Except you. I call you "bitch".
You haven't been paying much attention in class, not surprised you didn't earn your way to getting a highschool diploma. Blame yourself for your lack of success in life!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

442 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min It aint necessarily so 720,676
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 8 min Aura Mytha 256,454
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 14 min ChromiuMan 5,230
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 19 min Epiphany2 599,065
ibhentse emandi (Sep '11) 34 min SIYA 122
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 37 min Clearwater 172,345
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 41 min Chess 532,629
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 1 hr bbbbbb 73
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 8 hr Larry 122
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••