Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
*THOR*

United States

#160507 Mar 16, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
[QUOTE who="*THOR*"]<quo ted text>
Which colour light is that "exact" speed for?
"

In a vacuum? All 'colors', including ones like infra-red, radio waves, ultra-violet, x-rays, etc.
Ok so what's the story with red shift and blue shift of galaxy's?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#160508 Mar 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Which means motion is the primary force. Like I have said a few times, space in motion is the only true force. Space in as whatever we expanded into. All of those bubbles and streams create your particles of worship and secondary forces.
As I posted before, the filling in of the wake of a moving object is the speed limit of light, and the cause of inertia. Those objects are caused by bubbles of space becoming separate packages within that space. The speed of light can be broken, but it requires a steady stream of space between two objects. Magnetism is such a stream, but on our level it is packetized, your magnetic moments and it being assembled on the molecular scale. You have individual streams essentially a molecule wide, but the twisting and turning introduces a cavitation to it.
If the EM force is universal, the leading edge of the wave would have to exceed the speed of light. You have layers of these streams arising from a magnetized object. The stronger layers, the shorter distances between poles, force succeeding layers outward. Those streams have to accelerate to maintain themselves. This separation of streams and varying strength allows for other streams to form perpendicular to the streams between the streams, creating apparent separate fields, but tied to that base unit of mass. Little tornadoes diving back to the source if the opportunity presents itself. You can shunt a magnetic field and create a new flux flow the others have to deal with.
It is all about motion and its direction, and relative resistance to motion, which creates polarity. However, this is done on the subatomic scale and up. Creates bubbles within the larger currents. This is why matter is like a foam.
Your physical brain is a part of this foam. The real you occupies the spaces in between.
Or something like that.
The ramblings of The Dave Nelson ...2615

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#160509 Mar 16, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
Yes, invisible. As in not interacting with light. We do not expect to *ever* see dark matter with light. But, we can and do *detect* dark matter through its gravitational interactions.
No, invisible, as in unable to be seen, not visible, concealed from sight.

It has nothing to do with light.

DNA was once invisible to us. It is still invisible to the naked eye, but with the right tool, it is very visible....
Neutrinos also are invisible and have never been seen directly in any way. But we do detect them and understand their properties.
Neutrinos have been detected since the 1970's.

Dark matter has never been detected, it's still hypothetical.

FYI - "detected" doesn't mean "seen".....

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#160510 Mar 16, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave.
It's nothing like that.
Whatever "that" was.
I think he just starts stringing words together and finally runs out of things.

The post is done.

The Dave Nelson has spoken.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#160511 Mar 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>It's funny that everyone always thinks *current* science is correct.

Science used to know that the universe was infinite.

Science used to know that the Milky Way is the universe.

Science used to know that insects come from rotting foods.

And the people of the times knew science was right....

Just like you do today.
That's why you have to keep up with it.

Current science is our best estimate.

It always will be.

Science is not stagnant, like religion.

That's why science involves more than one book.

Derp.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#160512 Mar 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
*sigh*
I'm so sick of that pointless question.
Evidence is the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.
Proof is evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement.
They go hand in hand.
So, which have you got, and how much?

Location hidden

#160513 Mar 16, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because that is what the data is showing. The data is the ultimate test of any scientific viewpoint.
<quoted text>
That is why scientific results have error bars on them: to quantify a degree of confidence that the real answer is in a range we know about.
Data is never incorrect. It may be biased because of instruments, or because of the types of things we can actually detect, or even by incompetence. But the data isn't wrong. If severe bias is found (and verified by future data), then we can discount it after we understand the source of the bias. Unless you are suggesting outright dishonesty among those collecting and analyzing the data from several different branches of cosmology, the universe is expanding and has been expanding for the last 13.7 billion years (to withing a hundred million). The data fits a model based on general relativity having a cosmological constant(dark energy) and non-baryonic matter (dark matter). We do not understand many of the properties of dark energy or of dark matter, but hose issues are being actively studied and more data is being collected. But that is how science works: move from the known into the unknown and make the unknown known. Even if we have only collected 5%, we know a lot more than if we had only collected 1%.
LMAO!

"Data is never incorrect"?!?!?

So when the available data showed science that the Milky Way is the universe, the data was correct?

HA HA !!

And when the available data showed that insects are born of rotting food, the am data was correct???

Dude....

"Data is never incorrect" is an incredibly cocky and stupid attitude to have.

But now I understand why you think the way you do.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#160514 Mar 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Perhaps your atheist thought blocking techniques stopped you from reading my post in detail.

I said that dark matter and black holes have not been seen "in any way".

Which implies more than just visually (that means seen from the eyes.....).
Ah.

"Detected" works better.

And they most certainly have been detected.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#160515 Mar 16, 2013
[QUOTE who="*THOR*"]<quo ted text>
Ok so what's the story with red shift and blue shift of galaxy's?[/QUOTE]Frequency.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#160516 Mar 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>*sigh*

I'm so sick of that pointless question.

Evidence is the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

Proof is evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement.

They go hand in hand.
So where's the evidence?

Location hidden

#160517 Mar 16, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
Yes. Dark matter was first found by looking at the velocities of stars orbiting in other galaxies.
Dark matter has never been found.

Only it's assumed effects....

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#160518 Mar 16, 2013
[QUOTE who="*THOR*"]<quo ted text>Ok so what's the story with red shift and blue shift of galaxy's?[/QUOTE]

Red shifted galaxies (the vast majority of the galaxies in the universe) are moving away from us.

Blue shifted galaxies (like the andromeda galaxy) are moving towards us.
Jimmy

London, UK

#160519 Mar 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO!
So when the available data showed science that the Milky Way is the universe, the data was correct?
HA HA !!
And when the available data showed that insects are born of rotting food, the am data was correct???
Dude....
data for god = none
LargeLanguage

Chester, UK

#160520 Mar 16, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, actually, it is pretty clear about oxygen NOT being made during the Big Bang.
So when was it made you idiot?

Location hidden

#160521 Mar 16, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
299,792,458 m/s exact.
You did go to school?
C is not exact.

Did you go to school?
LargeLanguage

Chester, UK

#160522 Mar 16, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Only hydrogen, some helium and traces of lithium came directly from the Big Bang.
All of the heavier elements had to wait until after stars formed.
If only traces of it existed, how did it manage to form a whole universe, idiot?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#160523 Mar 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO!
There was no data that said that. We simply didn't have data that showed otherwise. Now we do.
We never had data showing that. In fact, it was never a *scientific* concept.
The data is never incorrect. It can be misinterpreted. It can be biased. It can even be measuring something other than what we think it is. If it isn't detecting what we *think* it is detecting, our conclusions can be quite wrong. If the instruments aren't working the way we *think* they are working, the data might be useless for any real conclusions. But the data is the data.

Location hidden

#160524 Mar 16, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that's why I said EXACT.
C is not "EXACT"....

Location hidden

#160525 Mar 16, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
Sorry, typo: 299,792,458 not 299,793,458.
LOL

Are you sure you didn't mean 299,783,548?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#160526 Mar 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's funny that everyone always thinks *current* science is correct.
Science used to know that the universe was infinite.
Actually, we still don't know one way or the other on that one.
Science used to know that the Milky Way is the universe.
No, the science only knew about things in our galaxy. That is a quite different thing.
Science used to know that insects come from rotting foods.
Wrong. that was never a *scientific*, as opposed to a superstitious, idea.
And the people of the times knew science was right....
Just like you do today.
There are many places where we don't know one way or another: that is what defines the boundary of knowledge. But to deny that we know what we know when it has been extensively tested is stupidity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Winter is Coming 740,199
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min StarC 543,104
Rachael Davis Kornacki 20 min Curious John 5
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 24 min Dr_Zorderz 259,697
if you see YOUR MOTHER AS A BED RTNER OF CELIBR... 24 min Doctor REALITY 10
Why Won't The Government Help Against Select Po... (Aug '12) 27 min lulu 222
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 44 min Classic 1,812
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr bad bob 173,835
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 17 hr gangsxofxroses_andii 157

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••