Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
154,221 - 154,240 of 226,336 Comments Last updated 14 min ago

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#160425 Mar 15, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
Editor’s note: Joshua DuBois served as director of President Obama’s Office of Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships from 2008 until he stepped down last week.
By Joshua DuBois, Special to CNN
I first heard the name Barack Obama in the summer of 2004 over a half-pound burger and fries on Capitol Hill. I was putting in long hours as a legislative intern for a wily member of Congress between two years of graduate school at Princeton, where I was studying public policy. The pay was meager – enough for gas for my beat-up Chevy Blazer and a tiny Craigslist apartment with two guys and a cat. But it was good to be in Washington and have a few months to wrestle with what in the world I was going to do with the rest of my life.
But by the time my internship was ending in late July, I wasn’t any closer to figuring things out. I knew I loved Christ – I was an associate pastor at a small Pentecostal church back home – and wanted my career to be tied to my faith. I also knew I wanted to help people who were struggling; my grandmother was active in the civil rights movement, and my parents made sure that working for justice and mercy was in my bones. And finally, I knew that I had some serious student loans to pay back. The hard part was figuring out how to balance all three.
Late one day, July 27 to be exact, I walked a couple of blocks to my favorite neighborhood dive, a local spot named the Hawk 'n' Dove. There was always a happy hour special going on at the Hawk, and they showed more Red Sox games than Yankees – which, since I'm a Sox fan, was a good thing in my book.
I settled in to enjoy my burger when the place got quiet on me – and the Hawk 'n' Dove was never quiet. A man was on television, an Illinois state senator named Barack Obama. And this guy was giving quite a speech.
I put my food down and listened. The state senator touched on many themes I loved – themes of justice, of fighting for the vulnerable and sick, of deep love for my country. And then he said, almost out of nowhere:“The pundits, the pundits like to slice and dice our country into red states and blue states: red states for Republicans, blue states for Democrats. But I've got news for them, too. We worship an awesome God in the blue states, and we don't like federal agents poking around our libraries in the red states. We coach Little League in the blue states and, yes, we've got some gay friends in the red states.… We are one people, all of us pledging allegiance to the stars and stripes, all of us defending the United States of America."
"We worship an awesome God."
Hey Abe,

Could you give us a summary of your opus, like 25 words or less?

Some of us are busy here.
Lincoln

United States

#160426 Mar 15, 2013
Pope Francis, the first Jesuit to become pope, not only represents a paradox for the papacy, but also the larger history of the Society of Jesus, as the Jesuits are formally known.

“On the one hand, Jesuits aren’t supposed to be in positions of authority,” said the Rev. Joseph Fessio, a Jesuit and founder of Ignatius Press.“On the other hand, they’re supposed to be obedient to the church.”

The Jesuits have played a key role in the history of the church. For centuries, they have served as its leading missionaries, founded its most prestigious universities and committed themselves to alleviating the deepest poverty.

St. Ignatius Loyola, a Spanish soldier, founded the order in 1540 after being wounded in battle and having a religious conversion during his convalescence. Jesuits are sometimes known as “God’s Marines,” after Loyola’s military history, and their missions worldwide.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#160427 Mar 15, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Home schooled or special Ed class.
<quoted text>
And the difference is???
*THOR*

United States

#160428 Mar 16, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>There is light, that is not visible by human eyes.
But we have devised ways to see this light.
Visible light is a specific frequency, but there is frequency beyond our eyes to detect, From ELF wave to gamma but the visible frequency is small.
"There is light, that is not visible by human eyes."

And it's just as deadly to vampires!
*THOR*

United States

#160429 Mar 16, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>299,792,458 m/s exact.

You did go to school?
So if a car was traveling at 299,792,458 m/s and turned on its headlights would that light then be traveling twice that speed? Of would its lights never leave the bulb?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#160430 Mar 16, 2013
[QUOTE who="*THOR*"]<quo ted text>
"There is light, that is not visible by human eyes."
And it's just as deadly to vampires!
[/QUOTE]
N/M being on the same page, we aren't even in the same ballpark or league.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#160431 Mar 16, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>And how many research papers have *you* published? You know, ones that actually contribute to human knowledge? And that actually say somethign new and useful?

None?

I thuoght so.
He's a fartbubbleologist.
Lincoln

United States

#160432 Mar 16, 2013
As the world watched the Vatican for an announcement of a new leader for the Roman Catholic faithful, the White House quietly made a leadership appointment of its own on Wednesday, to the office responsible for outreach to religious organizations: Melissa Rogers will be the new director of the Office of

Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships.

In some ways, the appointment of Ms. Rogers, a scholar of church-state legal issues, signals a new focus for the office. Her predecessor, the Rev. Joshua DuBois, sent President Obama Bible passages each morning and was known for fostering discussions with religious leaders on how to approach broad social goals. Yet Reverend DuBois made little headway in clarifying the First Amendment issues facing the office, which has been controversial since President George W. Bush created it in 2001.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#160433 Mar 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.livescience.com/278 40-shape-shifting-jesus-ancien t-text.html

Interesting story.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/06/mark-burnet...

Yep, interest in religion is on the wane. Just ask any Topix atheist.
Interest in religion is growing.

But not in the way you'd like to think.

More and more people are speaking out against it.
Lincoln

United States

#160434 Mar 16, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Interest in religion is growing.
But not in the way you'd like to think.
More and more people are speaking out against it.
Seems President Obama is speaking out in favor of Religion,
atheism not so much

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#160435 Mar 16, 2013
Okay you got me there. In other news what really happened to your favorite Disney princesses! I must say this is pretty damn good and took a lot of talent and work.

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
And the difference is???

Lexington, KY

#160436 Mar 16, 2013
BTW gang, KJV aka Langoliers aka Thor aka like a dozen other screen names, up there now using the Lincoln screen name actually followed me to another forum just to post behind me with his usual Non sequitur horsesht!

I mean seriously this friendless chump is such a devout follower of me he even goes into other forums just to be in my presence. THis is worship people I am officially his god now.

Chump you may bow.
Lincoln

United States

#160437 Mar 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Okay you got me there. In other news what really happened to your favorite Disney princesses! I must say this is pretty damn good and took a lot of talent and work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =diU70KshcjAXX
<quoted text>
Have a friend near the Oil Spill and the BP commercials are great, the clean up impossible :-(
Imhotep

United States

#160439 Mar 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
BTW gang, KJV aka Langoliers aka Thor aka like a dozen other screen names, up there now using the Lincoln screen name actually followed me to another forum just to post behind me with his usual Non sequitur horsesht!
I mean seriously this friendless chump is such a devout follower of me he even goes into other forums just to be in my presence. THis is worship people I am officially his god now.
Chump you may bow.
My sincere sympathy! ;)
You have become a GODBOT magnet.
The True Believers™ flock to you like sheep.
Each determined to bring Jesus into your life.
And... Too delusional to grasp the futility of promoting their myths to a audience that is not interested.

United States

#160440 Mar 16, 2013
Indeed they worship me, I have become their Jesus and they the flock who's life hinges on my every word.

A while back at the mall I had some christhole try preaching to me as I enjoyed my Starbucks. I would interrupt her with scriptures contradicting what she was saying. Her knowledge of the bible was miserable! I ended up telling her that she needed to get a better understanding of the bible myth before approaching someone like me.

The word myth upset her and she said it felt like Satan was whipping her bare back as she spoke with me. I smiled and told her that I have some buddies who could help her live out her BDSM fantasies. That put some color in her cheeks!

Her mouth dropped open and she stormed away!

Lol!
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
My sincere sympathy! ;)
You have become a GODBOT magnet.
The True Believers™ flock to you like sheep.
Each determined to bring Jesus into your life.
And... Too delusional to grasp the futility of promoting their myths to a audience that is not interested.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#160441 Mar 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Indeed they worship me, I have become their Jesus and they the flock who's life hinges on my every word.
A while back at the mall I had some christhole try preaching to me as I enjoyed my Starbucks. I would interrupt her with scriptures contradicting what she was saying. Her knowledge of the bible was miserable! I ended up telling her that she needed to get a better understanding of the bible myth before approaching someone like me.
The word myth upset her and she said it felt like Satan was whipping her bare back as she spoke with me. I smiled and told her that I have some buddies who could help her live out her BDSM fantasies. That put some color in her cheeks!
Lol!
<quoted text>
I'm taking my family to wee The Most Fabulous Story Ever Told-a bible story told from a gay perspective.

It's being protested, naturally, by bigoted christard hypocrites.

Should be interesting.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#160442 Mar 16, 2013
To "see", not "wee".

:P
Imhotep

United States

#160443 Mar 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Lol!
<quoted text>
You are persistent and reading the replies to you're posts is always entertaining.

My observation - atheist forums attract the most disturbed TrueBelievers™ and their posts are unintentionally hilarious, especially those containing scripture.

Few have the mental stamina to read the OT or NT.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#160444 Mar 16, 2013
[QUOTE who="*THOR*"]<quo ted text>
So if a car was traveling at 299,792,458 m/s and turned on its headlights would that light then be traveling twice that speed? Of would its lights never leave the bulb?
[/QUOTE]

Tell you what, why don't find out for yourself?

You never know you might actually learn something.

Second thoughts nope, the topix spell checker is beyond you, I am quiet certain that basic relativity will have you completely stumped.

United States

#160445 Mar 16, 2013
Leave it to bigoted Christholes to protest a children's bible show! Have fun!
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm taking my family to wee The Most Fabulous Story Ever Told-a bible story told from a gay perspective.
It's being protested, naturally, by bigoted christard hypocrites.
Should be interesting.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 min Dr_Zorderz 257,954
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 min Chosen Holy Dr Sh... 599,879
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Buck Crick 732,905
"50" BEHEADINGS Next in USA ? (*News) 11 min Monty Anaconda 3
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min Michael 538,910
The REALITY of workplace unhappiness for millio... 26 min Senecus 4
Michael Jordan says he used to be..'against ALL... 40 min Senecus 4
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr EdmondWA 94,667
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••