Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244801 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#159915 Mar 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>He simply doesn't know any better. He's a child when it comes to science, be gentle with him.
Why?

The terminally stupid need to be put out of our misery.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#159916 Mar 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
PTSD would be a dry term used to describe what you are suffering from. A dry and very remote term for something you are experiencing. You can understand why people have different perspectives from such. We all still live in our own skins.
You had a visual memory burned into your consciousness. Your consciousness is usually pretty fluid, but you have this image blocking the way. Sort of like a program freeze on your computer.
Such happens to people on a continuing basis.
You are the only one that can reset that.
It was a life changing, in a big way, event. But you should notice life is still going on. It didn't end, and the experience may in the end be an enhancement to your existence because of the new perspective. It happened and you aren't going to change it. You just adapt to it.
Life is kinda like going shopping. You can pick up things that get downright heavy to carry, and you have a long ways to go. Such distracts from your enjoyment, especially if the bag handles cut into your fingers. Window shopping can be more fun. Hooking the bag over your shoulder to take the strain off your fingers helps if you have to carry something.
I wandered off there.
That event is long gone. The effects are still there, but you just adjust to them. Close your eyes, look at what happened objectively, then reset. It won't be as painful as always turning away in fear the rest of your life. You have a long ways to go.
Little one, even on this forum you shine like a diamond. You are a precious gem. You got polished a bit. Like I said before, if Godzilla shows up and you had two legs you would be running terrified on your own for your life. The gem you are would cause a crowd to gather about you with spears to fight Godzilla. Something loves you more than you know.
Thank you for caring, Dave Nelson.

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#159917 Mar 12, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Chicken Man, 1960s comedy on the radio.
Odd topics on the forum

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#159918 Mar 12, 2013
4194 everything? Best change your screen name again reject.
Pure Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
You want to get schooled again?
You claimed science can detect anything/4194everything, you still holding to that?

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#159919 Mar 12, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Take some hiking gear with you next time.
More like mountaineering equipment.

Lexington, KY

#159920 Mar 12, 2013
Eagles and friggen squids higher better eyes, we get wisdom teeth, a ready to rupture appendix and a tailbone!

Brilliant design there!
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And lets not forget he gave the eagle the superior eye, and the whales and dolphin TWO tubes, one for breathing and the other for eating. I don't believe there has ever been a whale of dolphin death attributed to choking while eating. There is also a species of jellyfish that could possible live forever unless killed by prey.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#159921 Mar 12, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
So what are you saying,...in the beginning was nothing,..and it exploded! Sound puddle gooist doctrine.
For the 999th time it was NOT an explosion.
Lincoln

United States

#159922 Mar 12, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =XcQfy1SavdXX
Q
Thanks !

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#159923 Mar 12, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
"I can't stand it when I close my eyes.."
You never sleep, that is God like :-)
I've been trying to come up with new Super Heros.

Scenario. A School bus is perched precariously on the edge of a bridge. People are gathered around. Hand wringing ensues. In the midst of the chaos, in flies:

Depresso Girl.

She surveys the situation and says, "Ummmm, I really don't feel like dealing with this today. I'll try to swing by tomorrow".

Same scenario. In flies:

Bath Salts Girl.

She surveys the situation, rips off her costume, shakes her naked fist at the sky, yells something unintelligible, laughs hysterically and flies off.

I'm still working out the wrinkles.

Lexington, KY

#159924 Mar 12, 2013
They could be biblical prophets if you made them men and had them say thou shalt not.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Scenario. A School bus is perched precariously on the edge of a bridge. People are gathered around. Hand wringing ensues. In the midst of the chaos, in flies:
Depresso Girl.
She surveys the situation and says, "Ummmm, I really don't feel like dealing with this today. I'll try to swing by tomorrow".
Same scenario. In flies:
Bath Salts Girl.
She surveys the situation, rips off her costume, shakes her naked fist at the sky, yells something unintelligible, laughs hysterically and flies off.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#159925 Mar 13, 2013
River Tam wrote:
Depresso Girl.
Same scenario. In flies:
Bath Salts Girl.
Ms. Frizzle is going to teach the kids about Search and Rescue.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#159926 Mar 13, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Science is a method.
I am continually amazed at the ignorance of godbot.

Science is not a method. It is in fact the study of of nature.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#159927 Mar 13, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>Yes

Interesting as the R C church seems organized.

The outcome on Tuesday was expected, since all 115 of the cardinals are theoretically candidates, and the winner must receive two-thirds, or 77, of the votes. In past modern conclaves, the first ballot essentially served as a primary, with a number of cardinals emerging as leading vote-getters. Subsequent rounds made clear where the votes were flowing. The smoke will be white when a pope is elected. The schedule calls for two rounds of voting in the morning and two in the evening, as needed.
I guess the holy spook is a lousy communicator.
Lincoln

United States

#159928 Mar 13, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
I am continually amazed at the ignorance of godbot.
Science is not a method. It is in fact the study of of nature.
"study of of nature", Study of English next :-)
Many definition of science.
Imhotep

Davenport, FL

#159929 Mar 13, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess the holy spook is a lousy communicator.
Vatican is sequestered.
Cardinals running amok

Black smoke followed by red smoke from tandoori oven. No Poop. Err Pope yet

85% of world giggles
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#159930 Mar 13, 2013
The black smoke is caused by burning a choirboy.
Only when the old guys have run out of choirboys will they flip coins for the next pope. For this, they use 30 pieces of silver.
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Vatican is sequestered.
Cardinals running amok
Black smoke followed by red smoke from tandoori oven. No Poop. Err Pope yet
85% of world giggles
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#159931 Mar 13, 2013
Espresso Girl.

She serves all the passengers a really strong coffee before disappearing. The bus becomes more tetchy, with hilarious consequences.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Depresso Girl.
Same scenario. In flies:
Bath Salts Girl.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#159932 Mar 13, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"No it isn't what is said.
That is what you say, in fact you wont find any reference by a cosmologist or astrophysicist saying,
In the beginning was nothing,..and it exploded.
That is your stupid line, which btw reflects the mentality of someone like you."
Your earlier post.
Can it be assumed then those scientists say there was something?
Would that be evidence?
An honest scientists will say that we simply do not know what happened before about 10^(-11) seconds into the current expansion. There are several possibilities, but not enough evidence to distinguish between those possibilities. None will say 'there was nothing and nothing exploded' because that isn't even an accurate description of the non-quantum version.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#159933 Mar 13, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Amusing.
You can take the most primitive living people there are and they look out and realize something created all of this. Something way past their power and understanding. They live their lives and do their thing with this certainty.
It takes a Topix atheist going to school and being taught they are just glorified pieces of stellar poopy to deny such a higher creative intelligence. But now they are smart and superior because they were taught that. By other men. With no real proof. Just imaginings and couldabeens.
Amazing, the intellectual heights some can reach if they don't try thinking on their own.
And I see what you said as exactly backwards. The most primitive people are also the most superstitious and most likely to assign personalities to objects that are not alive. Because of this, they invent an intelligent creator.

It is only after we learn how the universe actually works that we realize both that there is no need for a creator to explain the universe and that there is no actual evidence for such a creator.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#159934 Mar 13, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
No your a dumbass, I suppose you could teach a class in dumbassology since you possess a masters degree in it.
P.S. there is no observable data for a natural cause for the universe.
\

There is no observable data for a cause of the universe at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min Buck Crick 864,459
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min June VanDerMark 599,565
Something blocking my vaginal entrance...? 38 min daijoubu 1
9/11&bin 43 min REV CAROL 1
Know What You Throwing Away 55 min CarlBenjamin 1
The Christian Atheist debate 1 hr HipGnosis 1,984
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 1 hr Grunt56 221,990
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr -Stray Dog 6,456
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Epiphany2 612,903
More from around the web