Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239238 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#159843 Mar 12, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
So what are you saying,...in the beginning was nothing,..and it exploded! Sound puddle gooist doctrine.
No it isn't what is said.
That is what you say, in fact you wont find any reference by a cosmologist or astrophysicist saying,

In the beginning was nothing,..and it exploded.
That is your stupid line, which btw reflects the mentality of someone like you.
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#159844 Mar 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Being a former baptist I love that one!
<quoted text>
Fortunately for me, I was never indoctrinated into a cult.

Therefore I have no experience with 'church' proceedings although I once went to a Black church where the atmosphere was extraordinary.
They were having a great time with their God - with all the singing and testifying, I must admit it was entertaining.

I found religions somewhat fascinating and studied them for a while. I discovered the origins of these, which are based on myths and wishful thinking at best..

One could say the Egyptians created God right down to a book of the dead repleat with detailed instructions for the imagined Afterlife
Their entire culture was religion based with the Pharaoh at the top as a living God. I have seen Luxor and the Valley of the Kings. STUNNING!

Once the last Pharaoh died so did the Gods that he supported.
This is also true of the Greek gods.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#159845 Mar 12, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes

Feel free to present to evidence something existed before the universe. BTW the bible has none, and your suspicion doesn't count.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#159846 Mar 12, 2013
What am I your science teacher? Take some fcking initiative man! Leave supernatural nonsense behind and start studying actual observable data! And just because something may be unknown doesn't mean you say a god did it!

WTF!
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
And what natural cause would that be? and what evidence would support it.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#159848 Mar 12, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Feel free to present to evidence something existed before the universe. BTW the bible has none, and your suspicion doesn't count.
"No it isn't what is said.
That is what you say, in fact you wont find any reference by a cosmologist or astrophysicist saying,

In the beginning was nothing,..and it exploded.
That is your stupid line, which btw reflects the mentality of someone like you."

Your earlier post.

Can it be assumed then those scientists say there was something?

Would that be evidence?

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#159849 Mar 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://scitechdaily.com/caltec h-engineers-develop-self-heali ng-circuits/
Note that this is an intelligently designed product.
But the Topix atheists will toss it into their butitcoulda bags. Which itcouldabeen in the Big Bang thingy, also.
A toothbrush is also an intelligently designed product. Is a toothbrush inferred proof of a magic universe-creating deity?

San Francisco

#159850 Mar 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me how.
Don't give me any books to read. Show your stuff.
Always cracks me up when a theist insists on proof.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#159851 Mar 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You misunderstand.
Those were attempts to establish a dialogue with you. On your level.
It was a strain, believe me.
Keep trying. It appears as though my level is well above yours. Straining to reach a little higher is difficult, but do keep at it. Just doing attempt to have a dialog about music, I'm so far above you on that it would be impossible for you to reach even the elementary level. Your worship of pukebucket is testimony to that.

Westcliffe, CO

#159852 Mar 12, 2013
Amusing.

You can take the most primitive living people there are and they look out and realize something created all of this. Something way past their power and understanding. They live their lives and do their thing with this certainty.

It takes a Topix atheist going to school and being taught they are just glorified pieces of stellar poopy to deny such a higher creative intelligence. But now they are smart and superior because they were taught that. By other men. With no real proof. Just imaginings and couldabeens.

Amazing, the intellectual heights some can reach if they don't try thinking on their own.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#159853 Mar 12, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I detect a loss in Dave's mental functioning.
You mean...JUST NOW!!!!! WOW!!!
bohart

Newport, TN

#159854 Mar 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
What am I your science teacher? Take some fcking initiative man! Leave supernatural nonsense behind and start studying actual observable data! And just because something may be unknown doesn't mean you say a god did it!
WTF!
<quoted text>
No your a dumbass, I suppose you could teach a class in dumbassology since you possess a masters degree in it.

P.S. there is no observable data for a natural cause for the universe.

Westcliffe, CO

#159855 Mar 12, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
A toothbrush is also an intelligently designed product. Is a toothbrush inferred proof of a magic universe-creating deity?
You might think so, but no, it isn't.

However, arranging matter to heal itself, to adapt its self to carry on its task, is similar enough to our material construction does raise a good possibility that similar was done to us. Once you get past your ego.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#159856 Mar 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You mean...JUST NOW!!!!! WOW!!!
Yeah! I thought Catcher1 was faster than that!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#159857 Mar 12, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
It took this long???? I noticed this with the first post!
David is seriously delusional as are most theist topix posters.
Religion tends to poison virtually everything.
S/He is a robo-poster with little else to occupy those few remaining brain cells that are not dogma addicted.
David's wheel is still spinning but the hamster died long ago!
Ahhh, the late GREAT Christopher Hitchens...."Religion poisons everything" I miss him immensely!!!!! But thankfully we have Sam Harris. My favorite Sam Harris......."If you find me mumbling some words over my pancakes in the morning hoping to turn them into the body of Elvis, you'd call me insane, but if I do the same thing over a cracker in church, I'm just a Catholic."

Not sure who said this, but......Tell someone that an imaginary being created the cosmos and everything in it, they will believe you without question. Tell them the paint is wet, and they HAVE to touch it to be sure. Go figure.....religion does poison everything!!!

San Francisco

#159858 Mar 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Amusing.
You can take the most primitive living people there are and they look out and realize something created all of this. Something way past their power and understanding. They live their lives and do their thing with this certainty.
It takes a Topix atheist going to school and being taught they are just glorified pieces of stellar poopy to deny such a higher creative intelligence. But now they are smart and superior because they were taught that. By other men. With no real proof. Just imaginings and couldabeens.
Amazing, the intellectual heights some can reach if they don't try thinking on their own.
LOL! Your problem is that you can't see reality because your ego blocks the view.

San Francisco

#159859 Mar 12, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
No your a dumbass, I suppose you could teach a class in dumbassology since you possess a masters degree in it.
P.S. there is no observable data for a natural cause for the universe.
Sure there is. Lots, actually. Conversely, consider the complete lack of evidence for an artificial cause.
bohart

Newport, TN

#159860 Mar 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Amusing.
Agreed, takes a lot of work to be that blind.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#159861 Mar 12, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Big Fox hole.
Every fox hole I was in was a two person fox hole. You traded watch time the other slept.
I remember it well!!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#159862 Mar 12, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it's obvious to anyone not indoctrinated into the puddle goo philosophy,wait for it, here it is ....in the beginning was nothing, and it exploded.
Oh oh, another looney on the loose. Who ever said in the beginning there was nothing?

Now...its your turn, how did the universe come to be? How did our species come to be? Two easy questions, have at it!!!!

Westcliffe, CO

#159863 Mar 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Keep trying. It appears as though my level is well above yours. Straining to reach a little higher is difficult, but do keep at it. Just doing attempt to have a dialog about music, I'm so far above you on that it would be impossible for you to reach even the elementary level. Your worship of pukebucket is testimony to that.
Amusing. By my belief in a higher existence I automatically can look down at you. You are stuck to the ground, so to speak.

As far as your perception of our relative positions, if you weren't hanging upside down in that hole you would see the truth.

As far as your sense of worth referred to in previous posts, it is based soley on demand. As I suggested before, if you wish to give a concert in a park the same time as Buckethead, be sure to keep plenty of peanuts in your pocket for the squirrels. Who knows, that might even attract other old codgers and nut cases wanting to feed the squirrels, adding to your audience. Would help your ego.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 min RiccardoFire 99,992
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min ChristINSANITY is... 838,911
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min RoSesz 590,301
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 11 min janeebee 4,442
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 11 min Truths 612,192
searching for lesbian partner... 30 min het4u 1
is it wrong i like to wear womens underwear (Nov '12) 1 hr Alix 254
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 hr swedenforever 176,949
More from around the web