Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Lincoln

United States

#159666 Mar 12, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Killing innocent people can be avoided.
Read my above sentence carefully, I am talking about willfully killing people who have done nothing wrong, and saying it "can" be avoided. I did not say it is avoided, I did not say criminals, I did not say idiots who place themselves in danger willingly.
Thinking people understood you the first time.
Ethical behavior often takes thought
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#159667 Mar 12, 2013
If you want to practice your microsurgery technique, I'm sure you can use dollarsbill's ringpiece.

He says it's in a right old two and eight, like he's been sh!tting metal hexagons.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It will be proved.
To what end? I can't say.
I'll spend my life proving to people that my skills as a surgeon trump your prayers. When I get a count of the instruments and dump my bloody gloves, you can thank God that I was there to save your daughter, wife or grandson.
I'll go home and kiss my girlfriend, God willing, of course.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#159668 Mar 12, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>If you want to practice your microsurgery technique, I'm sure you can use dollarsbill's ringpiece.

He says it's in a right old two and eight, like he's been sh!tting metal hexagons.
What?
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#159669 Mar 12, 2013
"right old two and eight" = "(terrible) state"

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/two_and_eight
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
What?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#159670 Mar 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Anything beyond matter and energy most probably does not exist. It is only imagined, much like your religious beliefs. I can't see oxygen or radio waves but science can prove they exist. Science can see the effects of things and know they exist. Dark matter can be detected by the effects it has on gravity. Gravity can't be seen but its effects are obvious.
We know the orbital period for Pluto even though we have NEVER witnessed one full orbit. I'm surprised at you for such a weak argument. Do better!!!!
I am surprised at your exceptionally simplistic understanding of physics.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#159671 Mar 12, 2013
Dave shhhhh. It's a bit early for you to already be making a jackass out of yourself. Ease into your senile posts which will be proven wrong in short order okay?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

#159672 Mar 12, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Current thinking puts the creation of space/time in the event.
How could matter or energy exist in absence of time or space?
How can anything exist in absence of time?
There was no time for anything to exist in, before time.
So logic say's your assertion , makes no sense.
Unless you simply say , the universe has existed for all of time.
Time doesn't exist unless you can measure it. That requires motion, a change of relative position.

Our space/time began when we were set into motion. This created a clock for us to measure with that we can see. If there was time before then, it is on a clock on a wall we can't see,

Relativity covers a lot of territory.

A seed sprouted that grew into what we see now. An energized circuit. All we can see or detect physically is reactions to our directing some of the energy in observing. It bounces off and gives us feedback, so to speak. If something is not made of the same energy flow we won't see it, but perhaps detect it's effect on the space our energy is coursing. We are doing that now, but we use a model that is less than perfect. This model is no different than religions, and like religions, it too changes with the times.

Believing that this universe switched itself on, starting this energy flow all by itself is not science. It is religion. Such possibility can never be proved in this environment due to the energy that is flowing, creating cause and effect. Too vigorous an environment to test in, so instead of an entity called a god, something in a form we can relate to, imagination runs wild using numbers as an entity, and probabilities becomes the supreme being.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#159673 Mar 12, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
The Tao.
The universe divided between what can be proved and what can not.
Atheist contribution that God is unproven leaves them no other comment.:-)
What can be proven, exists. What cannot be proven, is only imagined.

Location hidden

#159674 Mar 12, 2013
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/tft-guide...

This is how your digital monitor works. How it comes "alive".

This was created by men. By harnessing forces and laws that have always existed for a purpose.

It is all a flow of energy with energies arranged to impede it, giving the appearance of form and motion. Oh, the energies wrapped up doing the impeding feel the forces and react to them. They have their own little realities, but can't see the big picture. Their little worlds are in 3D.

Welcome to existence.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#159675 Mar 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Then your virtual particles and random nuclear decay prove magic or another dimension this one is part of.
No, they do not.
Those virtual particles have to be in this space. Long ways out to the edge of the universe, eh?
Thank you for your contribution. Confused as it is.
Well, someone here is definitely confused.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#159676 Mar 12, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats an interesting statement, anything beyond matter and energy probably doesn't exist.Why? Obviously something existed before the universe,which consists of matter and energy, what was it? The honest answer is no one knows, but logic says there was something.
NO, it is NOT obvious that something existed before the universe. The universe consists of space and time, time is an entity, if there was no space or time before the universe existed then there was no time. To make a statement about a "beginning" when there was NO time,becomes meaningless.

The universe may have always existed, the BB a local event, a Multi-univese concept. Hawking speculated that the universe has no boundaries, no edges, is infinite, therefore the concept of a beginning is also pointless. Neil Turok has some interesting thoughts on the muli-universe theory and the cause for the BB. Or we can simply say, a mythical being snapped his fingers and the universe magically appeared.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#159677 Mar 12, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats an interesting statement, anything beyond matter and energy probably doesn't exist.Why? Obviously something existed before the universe,which consists of matter and energy, what was it? The honest answer is no one knows, but logic says there was something.
Why do you think that something existed before the universe? Remember that time is *part* of the universe, so the beginning of the universe is also the beginning of time. So you are claiming that there is 'obviously' something before the beginning of time?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#159678 Mar 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
And I am continually surprised by your *lack* of understanding of physics.

Location hidden

#159679 Mar 12, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
And I am continually surprised by your *lack* of understanding of physics.
Polly, I understand physics pretty well. But there is a difference between your physics and mine. Yours is a study of number relationships, mine is a study of processes and interaction. Mine turns into intuition, yours is staring at a chalkboard. If the need arises for a quick fix to keep surviving, which do you think would likely survive?

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#159680 Mar 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Honey, you need to go back and read some of your past posts. Maybe put your glasses on upside down.
If you want to cuddle I will shave.:-)
So tell me, what has pointing out lies and deceit got to do with destroying christianity? Honey, thatís just showing up your sad personality traits, itís not my fault that chrsitianity (and related cults) attracts so many deviants.

However if you feel you can redeem your blatent lies and link to any of my posts that attempt to destroy christianity then I challenge you to do so.

And being a testosterone overdosed chauvanist prig does not mitigate your davesworld BS. Never mind a shave, how about a bath Ė in bleach or better still, hydrofluoric acid?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#159681 Mar 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Then when God is NOT posing as a human, what form is he in? And how do you know?
I don't know, what form does an omnipresent being take?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#159682 Mar 12, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
It is people like you that continually make excuses for the utter nonsense found within its pages. Failure to communicate with reality.
Um, noo..... That would be you, son.
The "Word of God", far from being inerrant, has always been a work in progress.
Interpret this RR
And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.--Exodus 33:23
See? Out of context. If you read Exodus 33:20, you'll understand why Moses had to see God's back and not his face.

And please don't be a "tee hee hee" 5 years old and think "my back parts" means ass.
What if there is a deity and you're worshipping the wrong one?
What if?
You are a POSTER CHILD for atheism... we thank you for your unwitting support.
I'm glad you've convinced yourself that your so right.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#159683 Mar 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Your turn, show me something, anything that science can't detect.
Souls.

Love.

Hate.

Jealousy.

Aliens.

Black holes.

Dark Matter.

Need I go on?

Location hidden

#159684 Mar 12, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
So tell me, what has pointing out lies and deceit got to do with destroying christianity? Honey, thatís just showing up your sad personality traits, itís not my fault that chrsitianity (and related cults) attracts so many deviants.
However if you feel you can redeem your blatent lies and link to any of my posts that attempt to destroy christianity then I challenge you to do so.
And being a testosterone overdosed chauvanist prig does not mitigate your davesworld BS. Never mind a shave, how about a bath Ė in bleach or better still, hydrofluoric acid?
Ah, your rationality and objectiveness just excites the hell out of me.

Let's cuddle, sugar.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#159685 Mar 12, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
What am I missing here?
"If any man come to me, and HATE not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple".--Luke 14:26
You are missing plenty. AND taking more scripture out of context.

What does Jesus mean when HE says to hate?

Is there a biblical dictionary somewhere?

In this context, yes there is.

In Genesis chapter 29, the story of Jacob, Rachel, and Leah. If you read, study and understand Genesis 29, you'll understand that in this context to be "hated" is to be loved less than another.

I don't expect you to understand.

You're atheist goggles are too thick.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 3 min UIDIOTRACEUMAKEWO... 4,923
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min Oxbow 560,568
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Dixie Chickie 778,767
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 15 min Remnant of 144000 39,388
Hispanic Women are Racist (Sep '12) 30 min CountryGirl324 34
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 31 min AussieBobby 265,476
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 43 min Innocent Holy dr ... 605,355
Straight guys: Would you ever have intercourse ... (Jul '12) 17 hr risque 137
More from around the web